IMG_6473 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6472 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6461 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6457 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markharris2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#538 3 years ago

For a brief time, I owned both the EM Mata Hari and the SS version in late 1980's or so. (Bought both from a route operator for $25 and picked them up from a barn). I thought the SS was a huge step forward and comparing the two insides side by side was VERY educational. I was always surprised they made both the EM and SS versions, and assumed it was mostly done as a proof-of-concept for them to gain internal support to make the switchover in their whole company. (I am guessing they had a team of mature electrical engineer hardware guys battling for popularity with the team of 'new kids' doing everything in software).

The EM I bought was nearly perfect. Just some contacts needed cleaning, the sequencer motor and flipper coils needed to be cleaned up and a few of the drop-targets needed to be fixed. Playfield was 8/10. Backglass was 9.5/10

The SS unit I got was a mess when I plugged it in before opening the backbox. It had the early MPU board, which had some battery leakage, so I cut my teeth and painstakenly learned how to repair a MPU board. Enough time and the RIGHT tools and it was pretty easy. And back then, getting the replacement parts was easy. Rebuilt the flippers, swapped some rubber and it worked perfect! I even came up with the clever idea to remote the battery back (got a replacement part at Radio Shack) before that was a thing! Powered right up. The backglass on the SS was another story. One of the colors flaked everywhere on the glass (the red or pink I think) and I tried to hand-paint the color back in with some stained glass paint and some white backer. (Apparently I am not the backglass repair guy!).

Anyway, I sold the EM and SS for $1000 a few years later (maybe 1990?) and thought I had made a ton of money!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rehoboth, MA
$ 10.00
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markharris2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-club-em-and-ss-all-are-welcome?tu=markharris2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.