IMG_6473 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6472 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6461 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6457 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dono.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from Cruiser:

With a lot of assistance from Phillyfan64 thank you Bob, I have now made new coin inserts for my Mata Hari (EM). I am waiting on the centre insert (free Play) and new coin drop plates from Marco Specialties. Picture is the trial effort on new clear inserts (protective paper not removed in the shot as yet) and the finished 2 x pictures printed on photopaper with a clear plastic protector mounted in a spare old coin drop casting. I will mount all into the machine and adjust any lighting issue, once my order arrives from Marco. Thank you Bob !!!!!!!

Have you ever thought of reducing the image somewhat to have them used as a replacement image for the boring red drop target bullseye image? I’m restoring an EM version and one of the things we discussed was creating our own DT image... yours would be cool for that purpose... 1st image on one bank, 2nd image on the opposite bank as one idea.

1 week later
#122 5 years ago

Beginning Mata Hari EM restoration - backbox mechanics about 3/4 complete...components cleaning up nicely. I plan on installing a rescreened original playfield acquired from Illinois Pinball several years ago as well as a repro Shay BG. Cabinet needs some structural repair and repaint as well... will repost progress as work transpires.

6F87C6B1-515F-4B9C-B9B7-F0F6085C7D2B (resized).jpeg6F87C6B1-515F-4B9C-B9B7-F0F6085C7D2B (resized).jpeg

A19031FE-E81F-4500-A2B7-87ECA90304E1 (resized).jpegA19031FE-E81F-4500-A2B7-87ECA90304E1 (resized).jpeg

4 weeks later
#130 5 years ago

Finished the mech panel; much smoother to work with a well maintained low mileage pin; I went all out and cleared the main panel and the 2 support boards housing the relays. Rebuilt both steppers and installed a new line cord. Cleaned and polished all metal including the female jones plug receptacles. Now onto the cabinet work and repaint.

08C5433C-0E6E-42A0-BDA8-5DEC08600667 (resized).jpeg08C5433C-0E6E-42A0-BDA8-5DEC08600667 (resized).jpeg08EC3448-73B9-4536-ACC7-1344618BFA48 (resized).jpeg08EC3448-73B9-4536-ACC7-1344618BFA48 (resized).jpeg21729313-C464-4C76-BE10-3E0904101625 (resized).jpeg21729313-C464-4C76-BE10-3E0904101625 (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#203 5 years ago
Quoted from ScottoKong:

Just picked up a Mata Hari. Looking for colour matching paint for cabinet touch ups. I might respray the back box. Anyone got colour codes or can recommend rattle can brands.

Molotow spray paint looks to be available in Australia - Signal Red and Signal Yellow have been recommended...you may need to purchase a fat cap for each color allowing a wider spray pattern. I plan on using these colors for my EM restoration...stripping the cabinet now.

2 months later
#286 5 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Finished the mech panel; much smoother to work with a well maintained low mileage pin; I went all out and cleared the main panel and the 2 support boards housing the relays. Rebuilt both steppers and installed a new line cord. Cleaned and polished all metal including the female jones plug receptacles. Now onto the cabinet work and repaint.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

All components on the old playfield disassembled... steppers rebuilt, replaced all lamp sockets... ready to transfer onto my rescreened original playfield (I believe this original p/f was rescreened by CPR, and sent back to Gene Cunningham, who I purchased it from back in 2012)...regardless it’s a lovely cleared PF, and since it’s original, component alignment problems should be minimal/non-existent. The cabinet will be repainted due to flaking paint, but will wait for spring to tackle it... will be using Molotow spray cans with fat caps (signal red/signal yellow).

722C9127-A5F0-4D91-91C8-558AFD49B899 (resized).jpeg722C9127-A5F0-4D91-91C8-558AFD49B899 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#342 5 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Be sure to ask him for the tombstone style since he does sell both styles. Also your games might behave differently and that top lip may not cause any issues. On mine, I felt it was necessary to sand it off. Originally the targets weren’t going to have any background color but I asked him to redo them with the color. Looks much better in my opinion.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I just got back from our library with some printouts of what we decided to go with... my wife did the photoshop work... decided to go with a bit of color but not fully like yours which look fantastic..this is for a full EM restore... thanks for providing the initial images!!!

9037C94A-7D3B-4637-9B94-D0042C13FDE0 (resized).jpeg9037C94A-7D3B-4637-9B94-D0042C13FDE0 (resized).jpeg
#345 5 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

I just got back from our library with some printouts of what we decided to go with... my wife did the photoshop work... decided to go with a bit of color but not fully like yours which look fantastic..this is for a full EM restore... thanks for providing the initial images!!![quoted image]

Pain in the ass cutting, sticking them on and covering with thin Mylar, but worth it!!!

321E9F30-FAD0-4B23-B219-12D3B0F2DAA0 (resized).jpeg321E9F30-FAD0-4B23-B219-12D3B0F2DAA0 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#361 5 years ago

I’ve learned that Bally drop target banks suffer from an issue with the lock collars wearing down creating too much slop when resetting the bank resulting in one or more targets staying down... I replaced the far collars (opposite side from the reset coil) on each bank. Case closed, resets nice now... these are going into my Mata Hari EM!!! Collars and springs from Marco; PBR probably has them too.

FDF1BBAA-4140-4880-8A24-37E161F4B981 (resized).jpegFDF1BBAA-4140-4880-8A24-37E161F4B981 (resized).jpegA29F3B02-AFC0-40B8-A5C6-9D7419C1013D (resized).jpegA29F3B02-AFC0-40B8-A5C6-9D7419C1013D (resized).jpeg
5 months later
#397 4 years ago

I posted this on another topic, but wanted to also ask this group of fellow Mata Hari owners..

Would love to see a Mata Hari apron score and instruction card set...

There were something like 15000 of these games produced in the SS version, and another 170 or thereabouts in EM format... I’m restoring an EM version now trying to get it ready for the York show in a few weeks... anyone out there willing to share custom cards for me to adorn on my game at York???

#401 4 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

These are the reproductions. The original score and instruction cards were the same, just turned out the previous owner had the right cards that worked for us. I just wanted a fresh looking set and not yellowed.

Thanks for posting! Coindropper from Texas has made some custom cards, so I'm going to print those out as well as some original looking cards that match yours... will probably use the custom cards for the York show, then change back.

cheers!!!

1 week later
#403 4 years ago

Moving at a fast pace on getting the EM cabinet done prior to York... waiting on some more Molotow cans to complete the body... head is done. I highly recommend these paints for those that dare a repaint job, especially EMs as the sheen is more of a tween-er between satin and semi-gloss. These paints go on smooth, cover really well, and dry quick. They do take some time to get used to, as you spray the paint very close to the surface... 4-8 inches is typical. Here are a few pics of the head that's drying and soon to get its second color after a very light wet sanding (if anyone has alternatives to prepping the base coat for the second color I'm all ears.

The Molotow Signal yellow is spot on as a replacement to the original yellow. Dick Blick and Bombing Science carry the cans.... something like 251 different colors, not too shabby; BS was a bit cheaper when I ordered.

I live in MD and can't legally purchase colored lacquers, but find these cans are a very good alternative. I'm really excited to see how they do with Pimp's stencils. Will report back as I get to this later in the week.

IMG_4367 (resized).JPGIMG_4367 (resized).JPGIMG_4376 (resized).JPGIMG_4376 (resized).JPGIMG_4377 (resized).JPGIMG_4377 (resized).JPGIMG_4379 (resized).JPGIMG_4379 (resized).JPGIMG_4380 (resized).JPGIMG_4380 (resized).JPGIMG_4384 (resized).JPGIMG_4384 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#405 4 years ago

Man,

Quoted from mrm_4:

Thinking about putting red rubbers throughout the game, but was wondering if anyone has done this yet. Just interested in seeing it before I buy them all and decide I hate it.

Yeah, that might look funky with all that red already on the P/F... but who knows... haven't contemplated doing it myself.

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I got to play this machine and meet Don at the York show yesterday. Absolutely stunning looking machine. It plays so fast that now I have to tune mine up! Did you get the issues ironed out?

Yes, I noticed the game couldn't complete a reset cycle, because the ball count unit wasn't resetting completely. Saw the issue right off the bat - the nylon cog sprocket wheel was binding inside the unit's metal shaft (have never seen a like issue in 25 years). Shaft was clean and lubed properly, so I filed the shaft to reduce friction. That didn't work but I did find from a vendor at the show an old step-up unit from a Bally Bingo with the same type of design. After some surgery, placed the bingo nylon shaft inside the problematic step up and there was no binding. Issue never returned and the game played fine for the rest of the show. Lucky that a vendor had a bally step up in his parts bin!

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

What is the writing on the dagger translate to?
Any idea how many have the writing on the dagger for SS ?

From IPDB:

"The backglass shows a dagger; there's a version with an inscription on that dagger reading "Meine Ehre heißt Treue" (German, "My honor is loyalty"). This inscription was the motto of the Waffen SS troops in WWII and was adapted from a statement made by Hitler in 1931. Mata Hari died during WWI rendering the inscription an anachronism for this game. Margaretha Zelle (1876-1917) was born in the Netherlands and established herself as a successful exotic dancer, traveling all over Europe under the name Mata Hari. During WWI she consorted with high-ranking officers, both German and French, which ultimately led to her being executed as a spy.

I've seen a lot of comments on how rare the inscription is ... it seems there really isn't any definitive answer to this question. Someone did post that they've seen quite a few out there WITH the inscription; I'd have to agree that the inscription isn't that rare. What's interesting is that my EM MH backglass had the inscription, even though the EM version came out a month LATER than the SS version, at least according to IPDB.

#416 4 years ago

Kudos to Pinside members for helping track down and keep me sane throughout the restoration journey of my EM Mata Hari. Without the great suggestions, hints on cabinet paint and preparation, late night photo exchanges, and last minute parts mailings, it wouldn’t have had any chance making it to the York show this past weekend. Not only did it make it, but won best in show... woohoo!!!

2F429987-C3B8-4F9A-BBD7-3422D8133293 (resized).jpeg2F429987-C3B8-4F9A-BBD7-3422D8133293 (resized).jpeg5CC27D55-30C0-4C4E-9B56-87523AC0CD3F (resized).jpeg5CC27D55-30C0-4C4E-9B56-87523AC0CD3F (resized).jpegCB4E14E2-01DA-4699-996F-DC28CC2B273C (resized).jpegCB4E14E2-01DA-4699-996F-DC28CC2B273C (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#421 4 years ago

I do like most of what you did... I'm not a big fan of the shooter rod though, I think it does clash , and the Bally sticker didn't come out until 79, but hey who cares? I love the coin inserts, very nice touch. Love the game too!!!

#424 4 years ago

From all the info I've gathered prior to doing my game, the Bally and Susan B Anthony coin door stickers both came out AFTER the Mata Hari Run... that includes the EM (4/78)and SS versions (5/78), so if you're a stickler about mimicking the stock look, that would bean a clean coin door / no sticker of any kind. Always up to the individual, I actually like both stickers, however IMO, if you're going to use a SBA sticker, at least one of the coin door inserts should match the sticker... e.g. (5 plays $1 dollar).

Have fun with it!

#428 4 years ago

Been looking at the CPR Topper... something about the photo they used just looks out of place with the rest of the game IMO... what does everyone else think?

2 months later
#434 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Pinside has no estimated value for an EM Mata Hari, anyone care to speculate what it might be for a basketcase machine up through a player's condition macine? Does rarity equal a higher price tag for this title?

For this title, YES, scarcity of the EM version definitely brings a higher price tag than its SS cousin in most cases. I bought mine for 1500$ about 10 years ago; needed a ton of work; playfield a wreck, front of cabinet delaminating, backglass marginal, mechanics dirty and nothing really working. I think I paid the going rate at the time, not a bad deal but not a great deal either. After a major restoration and spending north of 2K for playfield/backglass/legs/paints/parts, etc. etc., I don't plan on having it leave any time soon.

If I had to speculate at today's market, perhaps $1500 - $2500 for projects, peaking at $7K + for very pristine/ultra-restored examples. May seem high to some, but I've seen this game go for big bucks over the last 5 years or so.

2 weeks later
#448 4 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I won't use the current reproduction decals - I hate the way they are wrong too, they look terrible to me when juxtaposed with the correct Pinball Rescue decal as you did.
Every now & then I do a Google search only to be dissapointed again...

You can always go without the sticker - they weren't applied on the Mata Hari EM/SS games from the factory.

1 week later
#454 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well I guess I can finally post in here. Just finished my 7 month long MH restoration. It was my first restoration attempt & It turned out better than I ever expected.
Cabinet repaired & repainted. All new Altek boards. Every connector repinned. All mechs repaired & replaced new. Coin door restored. New LED displays. Hardtop installed. I lost track of how much money I put into it, but the experienced gained was worth it, and the fact that now I have a sweet playing MH.
Enjoy the pics!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-mata-hari
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I've been following along... awesome job! Nice video of game play as well.

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

All of the Bally’s I’ve done had the metal sleeve. I tightened the bolt so the washers were tight against the sleeve.

Same here... metal sleeve.

3 months later
#477 3 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

During the process of putting a hardtop on my Mata Hari I decided to get Reese Rails make me a new set of rails. I got Taylor to cut the inside right rail one inch longer so it would go into the apron instead of coming up short of it. While it doesn’t affect the play any, I like the way it looks.

Looks great! One thing that I thought was kinda dumb, was the exit text "1000 and Glory"... never associated getting drained with glory of any kind.

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

What do you guys have your saucer hole bonus settings at? I just switched mine to liberal scoring hoping it will help. How about the post settings? For some reason mine doesn’t have the extra holes anyway. My top score is only around 525,000. I suck at this game! I keep messing with the sling shots. I don’t know what else I can tweak. How many degrees is your slope?

I have my EM on 3 ball play, conservative saucer settings and play angle around 7 degrees and change. I haven’t turned it over yet; my best score is 825K. I played a collector’s dialed in SS game set to 5 ball play and liberal settings and scored over 1.6 M... what I love about MH though is that just when you think you have its number after winning at score with a few specials to boot, you can get your butt kicked immediately thereafter, and at times can’t beat it for many repeated games.

1 month later
#523 3 years ago

Funny how this game seems to follow me around... after restoring one last year, I’ll be doing a full shop job on another one ... my serial no. is 1031, and the one I’m working on tomorrow (2nd shot) is 1056.

ED91C0C0-793B-4F2D-9989-97C32D9BDDCD (resized).jpegED91C0C0-793B-4F2D-9989-97C32D9BDDCD (resized).jpegCE1D69EF-20F9-410D-9BF6-D7642576225D (resized).jpegCE1D69EF-20F9-410D-9BF6-D7642576225D (resized).jpeg
#525 3 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

Are u shopping that one for someone else Dono? Or did u manage to pick up another EM version?

Not mine unfortunately. The current owners have had this game ever since the woman's dad gave it to her as a gift when she was a teenager. They recalled a story told by her father that he had walked into a vending distribution center in Ohio and requested to buy the top player in the lot, the one that players loved the most. The owner immediately offered up Mata Hari EM. I'd say that the OP knew EXACTLY what he was doing. The game has travelled plenty, from Ohio, to Seattle WA, to TX, and now to Middleburg VA.

Finished the shop job this evening. It was in incredible mechanical shape, and one of the few EMs I've seen that was serviced the right way... super clean, all steppers cleaned and lubed, very little coil dust, no corrosion, and those crappy Bally fuseholders long gone. Made my job so much easier.

Cool addendum to this story, I was invited back to talk shop with the dad who bought the game; he's currently 79, and hasn't played the MH in years.
He's coming from Ohio next week to spend some time with his daughter and son in law... he's a big fan of pinball and beer... how can you go wrong with that?

#527 3 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

That’s a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I know she and her Dad will really enjoy playing MH again. She was fortunate to find someone like u that has so much knowledge of that same machine.

Thanks for the kind words Eagle18!

#530 3 years ago
Quoted from Meteor_Rick:

Sorry guys I have yet to post some pics of my HUO estate sale #1097 EM. Been real busy at work. Been down to the shop only twice in a month and it was spent assessing and debuging a few other things. The game plays great as is. This week I got sick and tested for covid today so cant leave home for now. ANYWAY. I had an idea. The SS version has a 4th 10K chime and for me it is particularly fun to hear the 50K award when you drain out a lit outlane or get all targets down. It would be very easy to add a 4th one on the EM. The switch is already on the 10k relay. Just a matter of weaving another wire into the harness and finding a chime box from an early SS. There's even spare pins on the headbox plug. Thoughts?

Almost positive 10K has an associated chime on the EM, will have to check my schematic though.

2 weeks later
#553 3 years ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

Jealous of you guys with the CPR PFs... I might get lucky and snag one someday... I'm on the list for a Space Invaders and Old Chicago (if they get enough interest for OC that is).

You missed out on the OC run... that's history. They did a small boutique run and it's been sold out for a while now.

Added over 3 years ago:

UPDATE:

CPR does have Old Chicago playfields in stock as of 1/31/2017. I bought one and am restoring the OC now.

Added over 3 years ago:

Stock became available in 2020, not 2017!

2 weeks later
#559 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Sorry guys and gals...I'm leaving this group. Sold my MH. Guy flew out from Texas to California, rented a minivan, and bought both my Night Rider and Mata Hari, then drove back to Texas with them.
I am left with my spare MH backglass I no longer need. It's for the SS game, and does not have the German inscription. Not sure what it's worth, and I'm afraid to ship it. It's in perfect condition as I recall (still packed away). Anyone here interested in a nice backglass can PM me.

Interesting transaction. You can certainly hang as an honorary member!

1 month later
#570 3 years ago
Quoted from Meteor_Rick:

Thanks! Proof that machines like this are still out there. I am definitely lucky. Didnt think I'd ever see one, much less own one. Being a longtime tech, I think I'm more impressed with how new everything looks underneath.

Congratulations, she's a lovely survivor... what's the game counter say? Curious.

#572 3 years ago
Quoted from Meteor_Rick:

It has 44k. And it increments every time a game is played. Surely it was a route machine for a very short time before ending up in a house until now. I really don't pay attention the the meters. So anybody have any idea how much count is a lot? Like is this having a 1977 car with 44k on it?

Based on all the games I've seen and worked on over the years, I'd say 44k is a bit on the low side; 50-55K would be midpoint IMO. I have a Target Alpha with 3,000 count on the meter, but have also had a few 60s games that passed the 100K mark. Most others in my small collection are between 20-75K, a few over, a few under.

#574 3 years ago
Quoted from lizzyd:

I just added these custom apron cards to my shop from a customer request. They feature Greta Garbo in the Mata Hari movie poster. The set is laser color printed on cardstock and laminated. $5 each card or $9 for the set. Let me know if you'd like for me to make you some too. - Elizabeth
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1256-upkick-pinball/04274-mata-hari-apron-cards-

Nice... I would suggest though that you create several more options... perhaps different art/color and a card or set of cards that mimic the free game award values that matched the stock cards. For me personally, I wouldn't want to display cards without showing free game awards. Just a thought.

#579 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyFliprFingrs:

I just bought a one owner HUO Mata Hari !
Now I just need to ship her to California, hope she gets here soon..
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Could you post the serial no. and whether it's a pointed or smooth shooter rod, thanks!

#580 3 years ago

They are elusive but there are more survivors out there; I have serviced several, one this year.

#588 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyFliprFingrs:

The lady is very nice, and she has one more HUO machine, Toledo, very clean, but not exactly a sought-after game, $625.
ebay.com link » Toledo Pinball Machine Works

Warning on Toledo - it's a yawner IMO.

#591 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Original drop targets are tombstone.

Yep tombstone.

3 weeks later
#599 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I borrowed this photo is from Arcane’s awesome Mata Hari restoration thread. Can someone please tell me the purpose of this metal plate that goes under the pop bumper bracket?
[quoted image]

Just a guess - limits the travel the pop bumper skirt axle can travel, to prohibit the axle from moving outside of the spoon switch.

2 months later
#640 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

For the most part its just the fins in the saucer that need adjusted, but those kickout mechs get worn over time and the arm or the plunger pieces get loose and make it inconsistent so slight bends on other pieces or replacements of other moving pieces might be needed. 9/10 aint too bad though.

I remember playing an out of the box SS MH at a Time Out arcade in Springfield VA... I played it a lot and I remember to this day that it definitely drained occasionally from the saucer kickout... so I'd say if it drains 10%, then that's probably close to reality on that game, at least from my experience back then. My current EM MH drains a bit more than that, probably close to 20%. I'm keeping it as is.

1 week later
#660 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

My guess is error and laziness. I can’t see any reason they would be designed that way.

I noticed this same error on a few switch contacts on my EM MH as well; weird.

1 month later
#672 3 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

How old is that pic? Whose Brian S?

He's sold at least one and probably two shown in that photo. Brian S. from Illinois, great dude!

#674 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Brain S. is a total Bally pin collector freak and last I heard he owned at least one of every flipper Bally made, with exception of one or two of the rarer pins.
Maybe Six Shooter or Six Sticks and/or Bullseye.

Last time I talked to him he was shy only one title... def. not Six Sticks... IIRC it's one with less than a handful of copies produced.

3 months later
#685 2 years ago

Haven't played the EM in a while, might have to get her going this weekend... I really like the angle... mine is around 6, probably about right for the EM... but I may go up a bit. Great video, I like the ability to see both the playfield and above board views, well done.

1 month later
#688 2 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Flippers too high? How do folks have theirs set? I know I’m above the little alignment holes.
[quoted image]

Use the tips pointed to alignment holes. It plays perfectly that way and it's the factory stock setting. Two great reasons to set it this way.

#689 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I've got a hardtop in my Mata Hari so I don't have the flipper alignment holes. I just used the rails as a guide and kept the flippers even with them at the same angle, making sure there's no ball hop and that the ball continues on an even path downward along the rails and across the flippers. I've been really happy with the game play/flipper action with this setup.[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks perfect!

8 months later
#720 1 year ago

You might want to consider dying the original ones.. there are a lot of like colors to the original that may brighten them up and add a touch of color... Rit makes a few flavors of dye; I like their made-for-plastics line... works great on older colored posts. You can also control the darkness of the dyed color somewhat, depending how long you leave the posts in the dye bath. These aren't the greatest pix and I don't have any before/after, but I really liked the way the dye worked out.

IMG_5451 (resized).jpgIMG_5451 (resized).jpgIMG_5453 (resized).jpgIMG_5453 (resized).jpgIMG_5454 (resized).jpgIMG_5454 (resized).jpg
9 months later
#753 1 year ago
Quoted from RikV:

I've been going saucer and A/B loops, and maybe pick off a drop if there is one or two standing.
I'm going to spend the next week of free time re-pinning every connector in the back box. Started to get some electrical gremlins showing up....one flipper won't fire, chimes not working etc. I hope to report back that everything is working well once the job is done.

Those are the real small trifurcon pins, correct? What are you guys using for a crimp tool? I remember way back in 2010 when working on my KISS that getting the proper tool for that very small size pin was very hit and miss. Would love to know what folks are using, since I have a buddy that's getting ready to do a STAR TREK.

11 months later
#832 44 days ago

I commented about this earlier...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-club-em-and-ss-all-are-welcome/page/13#post-6114121

My MH EM hits the right flipper, but does drain occasionally, and that's fine, part of this game's "allure" IMO. A good nudge just prior to ball eject lowers the odds a bit. The Time Out arcade in Springfield Mall (northern VA) hosted a bevy of sample games over the years in its heyday, and I played a Mata Hari EM a LOT... I remember bitching about the "Mata Hari Drain monster" as we called it. I didn't see a diagram of ball trajectory in the SS manual on IPDB; will need to look in my EM manual to see if it's shown there. Bally did have game manuals having diagrams of ball eject path (e.g. Old Chicago).

1 month later
#838 6 days ago
Quoted from bhelms:

Hi fellow Mata Hari owners! I'm a newb in this forum but I've been on Pinside for over a decade. I'm helping a friend with his EM MH. Fixing a flipper and aligning the ball plunger got the machine running again but there are many issues to be resolved, one step at a time. First, I have a question about the drop targets. When all 8 targets have dropped in both banks, are they supposed to reset immediately or only after the ball drops? Regardless, the left bank will not reset under any circumstance. I believe I have traced that problem to the 3A switch in the score motor assembly. When I force that switch closed (and also close a related contact on either the targets down or outhole relays) then the left bank resets. I can see the 3A contacts are rather burned. Burnishing them did not help. Either they are too far burned away and/or the knob on the cam is worn down too far to close that whole stack of switches in the "3" location. Has anyone here replaced a switch in that score motor assembly? If so, where did you get the switch? So far I haven't found anything on line. How difficult was the replacement? It appears that I can remove the 2 bolts holding down only the "3" stack of switches to get to the bottom ("A") switch, I just hope the wires are long enough to allow me room to move the switch around so I can work on it or replace it. We will also have to replace all 8 drop targets - most don't reliably remain reset and there is a lot of wear evidenced. I assume we can still get replacements at the links appearing earlier in this forum. For those who have replaced drop targets, how difficult was that task? Any hints or hacks? We're also not sure if the scoring is correct but that part of the diagnosis will come later.
Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can provide...!

I have the MH version, its an immediate reset, lights special and awards 50K - also immediate action. If you take off the stack to get to the burned switch, take pix as you go. LMK if u get stuck, Ive replaced switches a bunch of times - call Steve Young at Pinball Resource for switch parts

#840 2 days ago

You're learning by doing... its the only way. Kudos on your progress.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rehoboth, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dono.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-club-em-and-ss-all-are-welcome?tu=Dono and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.