IMG_6473 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6472 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6461 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6457 (resized).jpeg
There are 838 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

These are the reproductions. The original score and instruction cards were the same, just turned out the previous owner had the right cards that worked for us. I just wanted a fresh looking set and not yellowed.

Thanks for posting! Coindropper from Texas has made some custom cards, so I'm going to print those out as well as some original looking cards that match yours... will probably use the custom cards for the York show, then change back.

cheers!!!

#402 4 years ago

I don't think Inkochnito provides updates or score cards to IPDB any more. However he has a webiste and Pinside thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/inkochnitos-pinball-score-and-instruction-cards-website-update

#403 4 years ago

Moving at a fast pace on getting the EM cabinet done prior to York... waiting on some more Molotow cans to complete the body... head is done. I highly recommend these paints for those that dare a repaint job, especially EMs as the sheen is more of a tween-er between satin and semi-gloss. These paints go on smooth, cover really well, and dry quick. They do take some time to get used to, as you spray the paint very close to the surface... 4-8 inches is typical. Here are a few pics of the head that's drying and soon to get its second color after a very light wet sanding (if anyone has alternatives to prepping the base coat for the second color I'm all ears.

The Molotow Signal yellow is spot on as a replacement to the original yellow. Dick Blick and Bombing Science carry the cans.... something like 251 different colors, not too shabby; BS was a bit cheaper when I ordered.

I live in MD and can't legally purchase colored lacquers, but find these cans are a very good alternative. I'm really excited to see how they do with Pimp's stencils. Will report back as I get to this later in the week.

IMG_4367 (resized).JPGIMG_4367 (resized).JPGIMG_4376 (resized).JPGIMG_4376 (resized).JPGIMG_4377 (resized).JPGIMG_4377 (resized).JPGIMG_4379 (resized).JPGIMG_4379 (resized).JPGIMG_4380 (resized).JPGIMG_4380 (resized).JPGIMG_4384 (resized).JPGIMG_4384 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#404 4 years ago

Thinking about putting red rubbers throughout the game, but was wondering if anyone has done this yet. Just interested in seeing it before I buy them all and decide I hate it.

#405 4 years ago

Man,

Quoted from mrm_4:

Thinking about putting red rubbers throughout the game, but was wondering if anyone has done this yet. Just interested in seeing it before I buy them all and decide I hate it.

Yeah, that might look funky with all that red already on the P/F... but who knows... haven't contemplated doing it myself.

#406 4 years ago

Picked up a MH yesterday! Backglass is 10/10. Needs a hardtop and new MPU, but probably just going to swap all boards out.

20191010_092536 (resized).jpg20191010_092536 (resized).jpg20191010_092551 (resized).jpg20191010_092551 (resized).jpg
#407 4 years ago
Quoted from Wanimal:

Picked up a MH yesterday! Backglass is 10/10. Needs a hardtop and new MPU, but probably just going to swap all boards out.

Coin door looks nice and clean, but it's a shame someone (apparently) cut a hole in the cabinet front to put in what looks like a credit-add button.

#408 4 years ago

I was thinking about powdercoating all of the metal a purple color. Thoughts?

#409 4 years ago
Quoted from Wanimal:

I was thinking about powdercoating all of the metal a purple color. Thoughts?

HoakyPoaky might be able to photoshop that for you so you could see what it looks like.

#410 4 years ago

Just a teaser for now, but I think I will be putting up two MH's for sale next week. One with Altek, another with original MPU with NVRAM. Watch for an ad on Pinside market. Both have been cleaned, waxed, new drop targets, etc.

#411 4 years ago

#7550, you ended up in my hands for a reason. I will take care of you.

20191011_125145 (resized).jpg20191011_125145 (resized).jpg20191011_125152 (resized).jpg20191011_125152 (resized).jpg20191011_125217 (resized).jpg20191011_125217 (resized).jpg20191011_125028 (resized).jpg20191011_125028 (resized).jpg
#412 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Moving at a fast pace on getting the EM cabinet done prior to York... waiting on some more Molotow cans to complete the body... head is done. I highly recommend these paints for those that dare a repaint job, especially EMs as the sheen is more of a tween-er between satin and semi-gloss. These paints go on smooth, cover really well, and dry quick. They do take some time to get used to, as you spray the paint very close to the surface... 4-8 inches is typical. Here are a few pics of the head that's drying and soon to get its second color after a very light wet sanding (if anyone has alternatives to prepping the base coat for the second color I'm all ears.
The Molotow Signal yellow is spot on as a replacement to the original yellow. Dick Blick and Bombing Science carry the cans.... something like 251 different colors, not too shabby; BS was a bit cheaper when I ordered.
I live in MD and can't legally purchase colored lacquers, but find these cans are a very good alternative. I'm really excited to see how they do with Pimp's stencils. Will report back as I get to this later in the week.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I got to play this machine and meet Don at the York show yesterday. Absolutely stunning looking machine. It plays so fast that now I have to tune mine up! Did you get the issues ironed out?

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I got to play this machine and meet Don at the York show yesterday. Absolutely stunning looking machine. It plays so fast that now I have to tune mine up! Did you get the issues ironed out?

Yes, I noticed the game couldn't complete a reset cycle, because the ball count unit wasn't resetting completely. Saw the issue right off the bat - the nylon cog sprocket wheel was binding inside the unit's metal shaft (have never seen a like issue in 25 years). Shaft was clean and lubed properly, so I filed the shaft to reduce friction. That didn't work but I did find from a vendor at the show an old step-up unit from a Bally Bingo with the same type of design. After some surgery, placed the bingo nylon shaft inside the problematic step up and there was no binding. Issue never returned and the game played fine for the rest of the show. Lucky that a vendor had a bally step up in his parts bin!

#414 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Yes, I noticed the game couldn't complete a reset cycle, because the ball count unit wasn't resetting completely. Saw the issue right off the bat - the nylon cog sprocket wheel was binding inside the unit's metal shaft (have never seen a like issue in 25 years). Shaft was clean and lubed properly, so I filed the shaft to reduce friction. That didn't work but I did find from a vendor at the show an old step-up unit from a Bally Bingo with the same type of design. After some surgery, placed the bingo nylon shaft inside the problematic step up and there was no binding. Issue never returned and the game played fine for the rest of the show. Lucky that a vendor had a bally step up in his parts bin!

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

What is the writing on the dagger translate to?
Any idea how many have the writing on the dagger for SS ?

From IPDB:

"The backglass shows a dagger; there's a version with an inscription on that dagger reading "Meine Ehre heißt Treue" (German, "My honor is loyalty"). This inscription was the motto of the Waffen SS troops in WWII and was adapted from a statement made by Hitler in 1931. Mata Hari died during WWI rendering the inscription an anachronism for this game. Margaretha Zelle (1876-1917) was born in the Netherlands and established herself as a successful exotic dancer, traveling all over Europe under the name Mata Hari. During WWI she consorted with high-ranking officers, both German and French, which ultimately led to her being executed as a spy.

I've seen a lot of comments on how rare the inscription is ... it seems there really isn't any definitive answer to this question. Someone did post that they've seen quite a few out there WITH the inscription; I'd have to agree that the inscription isn't that rare. What's interesting is that my EM MH backglass had the inscription, even though the EM version came out a month LATER than the SS version, at least according to IPDB.

#416 4 years ago

Kudos to Pinside members for helping track down and keep me sane throughout the restoration journey of my EM Mata Hari. Without the great suggestions, hints on cabinet paint and preparation, late night photo exchanges, and last minute parts mailings, it wouldn’t have had any chance making it to the York show this past weekend. Not only did it make it, but won best in show... woohoo!!!

2F429987-C3B8-4F9A-BBD7-3422D8133293 (resized).jpeg2F429987-C3B8-4F9A-BBD7-3422D8133293 (resized).jpeg5CC27D55-30C0-4C4E-9B56-87523AC0CD3F (resized).jpeg5CC27D55-30C0-4C4E-9B56-87523AC0CD3F (resized).jpegCB4E14E2-01DA-4699-996F-DC28CC2B273C (resized).jpegCB4E14E2-01DA-4699-996F-DC28CC2B273C (resized).jpeg
#417 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Kudos to Pinside members for helping track down and keep me sane throughout the restoration journey of my EM Mata Hari. Without the great suggestions, hints on cabinet paint and preparation, late night photo exchanges, and last minute parts mailings, it wouldn’t have had any chance making it to the York show this past weekend. Not only did it make it, but won best in show... woohoo!!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well done dude! That’s a keeper right there.

1 week later
#418 4 years ago

Honest opinions. Too much bling? The coin inserts are staying. I’ve had them for a couple years. Not sure about the shooter. I think maybe it clashes.

688D0218-09BA-4125-9A5D-BCF9BAF29C2F (resized).jpeg688D0218-09BA-4125-9A5D-BCF9BAF29C2F (resized).jpeg8ACFE54B-C495-4CEB-BA79-741D6D87758E (resized).jpeg8ACFE54B-C495-4CEB-BA79-741D6D87758E (resized).jpeg
#419 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Honest opinions. Too much bling? The coin inserts are staying. I’ve had them for a couple years. Not sure about the shooter. I think maybe it clashes.[quoted image][quoted image]

I love it man!

#420 4 years ago

Call me a traditionalist, but the original pointed Bally shooter rod is meaningful to me. I remember when they switched over to them. Walking through the crowded arcades, I knew that when I saw that shooter it would be a game worth playing. Bally was at the top of their game during that period, art, rules, gameplay, the whole package! That iconic shooter rod was a guide for where to spend my limited quarters.

#421 4 years ago

I do like most of what you did... I'm not a big fan of the shooter rod though, I think it does clash , and the Bally sticker didn't come out until 79, but hey who cares? I love the coin inserts, very nice touch. Love the game too!!!

#422 4 years ago

Thanks guys. The whole idea was I wanted to put a picture of the real Mata Hari somewhere on or near the machine. I know CPR has a topper but I’m not sure I like it. It’s the same photo but I think the tiger is just over the top

9B9766B5-2F41-4806-9C96-A662EF5E1BBA (resized).jpeg9B9766B5-2F41-4806-9C96-A662EF5E1BBA (resized).jpeg
#423 4 years ago

By the way the red button has been removed since the earlier picture. Is there a different Bally sticker that was available for that year or was there no sticker?

F4F34341-B4D3-42E0-A051-991D8DF9830C (resized).jpegF4F34341-B4D3-42E0-A051-991D8DF9830C (resized).jpeg
#424 4 years ago

From all the info I've gathered prior to doing my game, the Bally and Susan B Anthony coin door stickers both came out AFTER the Mata Hari Run... that includes the EM (4/78)and SS versions (5/78), so if you're a stickler about mimicking the stock look, that would bean a clean coin door / no sticker of any kind. Always up to the individual, I actually like both stickers, however IMO, if you're going to use a SBA sticker, at least one of the coin door inserts should match the sticker... e.g. (5 plays $1 dollar).

Have fun with it!

#425 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

From all the info I've gathered prior to doing my game, the Bally and Susan B Anthony coin door stickers both came out AFTER the Mata Hari Run... that includes the EM (4/78)and SS versions (5/78), so if you're a stickler about mimicking the stock look, that would bean a clean coin door / no sticker of any kind. Always up to the individual, I actually like both stickers, however IMO, if you're going to use a SBA sticker, at least one of the coin door inserts should match the sticker... e.g. (5 plays $1 dollar).
Have fun with it!

Thanks for the info Dono. I’m going to keep the sticker. I also went back to the pointed shooter, at least for now.

85503EB0-80BA-44E7-B4B2-8F23DD21B75E (resized).jpeg85503EB0-80BA-44E7-B4B2-8F23DD21B75E (resized).jpeg
#426 4 years ago

I’ll take the shooter if you get rid of it. I have the pointy shooter also but that can easily be placed in the cabinet for the next guy while I look at Margarehta

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I’ll take the shooter if you get rid of it. I have the pointy shooter also but that can easily be placed in the cabinet for the next guy while I look at Margarehta

Thanks mrm_4. If I decide to sell it I’ll definitely let you know.

#428 4 years ago

Been looking at the CPR Topper... something about the photo they used just looks out of place with the rest of the game IMO... what does everyone else think?

#429 4 years ago

Bump. Lowered price! Will travel and trade up!

#430 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Been looking at the CPR Topper... something about the photo they used just looks out of place with the rest of the game IMO... what does everyone else think?

IMO machines of that era shouldn’t have Toppers. Just doesn’t look right.

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

It’s just way over the top with the tiger in my opinion. Maybe a picture of her on the the wall or the game flyer would work but that topper is just out there.

1 month later
#432 4 years ago

Wow....just....wow. This is the most beautiful MH EM I've ever seen. And likely worth every penny.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/89023

1 month later
#433 4 years ago

Pinside has no estimated value for an EM Mata Hari, anyone care to speculate what it might be for a basketcase machine up through a player's condition macine? Does rarity equal a higher price tag for this title?

1 week later
#434 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Pinside has no estimated value for an EM Mata Hari, anyone care to speculate what it might be for a basketcase machine up through a player's condition macine? Does rarity equal a higher price tag for this title?

For this title, YES, scarcity of the EM version definitely brings a higher price tag than its SS cousin in most cases. I bought mine for 1500$ about 10 years ago; needed a ton of work; playfield a wreck, front of cabinet delaminating, backglass marginal, mechanics dirty and nothing really working. I think I paid the going rate at the time, not a bad deal but not a great deal either. After a major restoration and spending north of 2K for playfield/backglass/legs/paints/parts, etc. etc., I don't plan on having it leave any time soon.

If I had to speculate at today's market, perhaps $1500 - $2500 for projects, peaking at $7K + for very pristine/ultra-restored examples. May seem high to some, but I've seen this game go for big bucks over the last 5 years or so.

#435 4 years ago

Shill post: you might be interested in the latest podcast about retheme kits for Mata Hari

The Classic Pinball Podcast #24

#436 4 years ago

Just picked up this freebie, it was the SS version after all. Not sure what I'm going to do with it; although it needs a ton of work, I am steadfastly against parting out any game other than an utterly trashed basket case. The playfield is fairly decent but for some slingshot wear and a line up the middle that must be due to woodgrain. It's been sitting in a shed and garage since the 80's. At the very least, it's got a pretty nice backglass except for a couple of small scratches, plus it's the inscribed knife version. And how did I never realize that that's a tophat behind the baron?
101_0446 (resized).JPG101_0446 (resized).JPG101_0436 (resized).JPG101_0436 (resized).JPG101_0438 (resized).JPG101_0438 (resized).JPG101_0440 (resized).JPG101_0440 (resized).JPG101_0441 (resized).JPG101_0441 (resized).JPG101_0442 (resized).JPG101_0442 (resized).JPG101_0444 (resized).JPG101_0444 (resized).JPG

#437 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Just picked up this freebie, it was the SS version after all. Not sure what I'm going to do with it; although it needs a ton of work, I am steadfastly against parting out any game other than an utterly trashed basket case. The playfield is fairly decent but for some slingshot wear and a line up the middle that must be due to woodgrain. It's been sitting in a shed and garage since the 80's. At the very least, it's got a pretty nice backglass except for a couple of small scratches, plus it's the inscribed knife version. And how did I never realize that that's a tophat behind the baron?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Restore that baby!!!!

#438 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

And how did I never realize that that's a tophat behind the baron?

Ha! I never noticed the Baron

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Ha! I never noticed the Baron

I'd never seen a Mata Hari backglass up close before. The level of detail is just amazing. Dave Christensen was a hell of an artist.

#440 4 years ago

Did you find where he hid his signature yet?

#441 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Did you find where he hid his signature yet?

Yeah, not really hidden but pretty tiny. I decided that I'm going to re-pin the connectors and throw an Alltek in there and try to get her up and running, and then just do a clean up and fix anything broken (like those pop bumper skirts) for now. Then I'll decide if it's a keeper or a seller. Not gonna sink a ton of money into a resto for a game I may not keep.

Has anyone here used one of the apron sticker sets from Planetary Pinball on their apron? That's one part that I will have to restore, as mine is pretty rusty. Might as well save myself the time of scanning and recreating the artwork myself if the PP set is any good.

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Has anyone here used one of the apron sticker sets from Planetary Pinball on their apron? That's one part that I will have to restore, as mine is pretty rusty. Might as well save myself the time of scanning and recreating the artwork myself if the PP set is any good.

I'm in the middle of my MH restore & recently repainted the apron. I used the decals from Classicaracdes. Some people have had mixed results on the color matching for various titles, but I thought the MH decals worked out well. No black outlines but they work for me. See my thread for pics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-mata-hari/page/4#post-5263679

#443 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'm in the middle of my MH restore & recently repainted the apron. I used the decals from Classicaracdes. Some people have had mixed results on the color matching for various titles, but I thought the MH decals worked out well. No black outlines but they work for me. See my thread for pics.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-mata-hari/page/4#post-5263679

I've read through your whole thread, and you've done a really nice job on your resto. I would be thrilled if my apron was in the condition yours was pre-resto. The lack of black outlines on the artwork would be a deal-breaker for me though, so it's either PP decals or scan and make my own. I may decide to go with waterslide decals and then clearcoat after application if I can't find a vinyl printer source for them.

#444 4 years ago

Thanks it’s coming along now. I’ll post some pics in here when it’s done.

I debated going the water slide decal route, but I thought it was going to be too much extra work.

It’s a shame these guys lost their Bally/Williams license, because I think their product would have been a good option.

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron.html

#445 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Thanks it’s coming along now. I’ll post some pics in here when it’s done.
I debated going the water slide decal route, but I thought it was going to be too much extra work.
It’s a shame these guys lost their Bally/Williams license, because I think their product would have been a good option.
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron.html

Yeah, every time Pinball Rescue comes up in a google search, I cry a little inside because there's SO much stuff I'd like to order from them that they no longer make. Mostly, the coindoor sticker for 80-82 Bally solid states, where a reproduction is available but it's incorrect. Real nitpicky but it bugs the heck out of me.

COIN (resized).jpgCOIN (resized).jpg
#446 4 years ago

Got this one from Pinball Resource. I’m not going for a perfect restoration, but I thought it looked pretty nice. Some stuff just isn’t going to be perfect.

71BDA483-6B0B-48D6-99BD-E1A36F280FE3 (resized).jpeg71BDA483-6B0B-48D6-99BD-E1A36F280FE3 (resized).jpeg
#447 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Mostly, the coindoor sticker for 80-82 Bally solid states, where a reproduction is available but it's incorrect. Real nitpicky but it bugs the heck out of me.

I won't use the current reproduction decals - I hate the way they are wrong too, they look terrible to me when juxtaposed with the correct Pinball Rescue decal as you did.

Every now & then I do a Google search only to be dissapointed again...

#448 4 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I won't use the current reproduction decals - I hate the way they are wrong too, they look terrible to me when juxtaposed with the correct Pinball Rescue decal as you did.
Every now & then I do a Google search only to be dissapointed again...

You can always go without the sticker - they weren't applied on the Mata Hari EM/SS games from the factory.

#449 4 years ago

Well I guess I can finally post in here. Just finished my 7 month long MH restoration. It was my first restoration attempt & It turned out better than I ever expected.

Cabinet repaired & repainted. All new Altek boards. Every connector repinned. All mechs repaired & replaced new. Coin door restored. New LED displays. Hardtop installed. I lost track of how much money I put into it, but the experienced gained was worth it, and the fact that now I have a sweet playing MH.

Enjoy the pics!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-mata-hari

06A320D8-9725-4D2F-9843-622C4FBD93D4 (resized).jpeg06A320D8-9725-4D2F-9843-622C4FBD93D4 (resized).jpeg3A6981A2-12DB-4FF3-B938-850A34FDB370 (resized).jpeg3A6981A2-12DB-4FF3-B938-850A34FDB370 (resized).jpeg90629AC2-5D72-4F00-86C8-6E86B80000E8 (resized).jpeg90629AC2-5D72-4F00-86C8-6E86B80000E8 (resized).jpegF21EBDB8-33FF-44A5-8AE3-29706928AACE (resized).jpegF21EBDB8-33FF-44A5-8AE3-29706928AACE (resized).jpeg

#450 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well I guess I can finally post in here. Just finished my 7 month long MH restoration. It was my first restoration attempt & It turned out better than I ever expected.
Cabinet repaired & repainted. All new Altek boards. Every connector repinned. All mechs repaired & replaced new. Coin door restored. New LED displays. Hardtop installed. I lost track of how much money I put into it, but the experienced gained was worth it, and the fact that now I have a sweet playing MH.

Congrats on a job well done! Take a well deserved breather of 1 or 2 days, then tell us what your next project is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rehoboth, MA
There are 838 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-club-em-and-ss-all-are-welcome/page/9?hl=wanimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.