• Latest reply 5 years ago by Nikrox2
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1765 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I'm having an intermittent problem with my Mata Hari. Sometimes the ball will land in the saucer hole at the top and it just stops. The coil doesn't fire and the ball just sits there. If I open the glass and press down on the ball, the ball will kick out like it's supposed to. I tried adjusting the leaf switch but I'm still having the issue. It seems that when the switch is too close, the saucer will fire from vibrations at the top of the playfield. I've even seen the game reset a couple times when the ball gets stuck there although this is pretty rare. (I think it's happened twice). Is this just a matter of getting the switch adjusted properly or is there something else I should be looking at? Thank you.

#2 6 years ago

I would do three things:

1. Clean the switch contact with a piece of paper (or replace the switch, if it is very dirty)

2. Check the molex connection, and replace molex connector on the wire

3. Look on the back of the board to see if you have a cracked solder joint. Re-flowing every pin (carefully) for the connector would be grand.

Try wiggling the correct plug on the board when the ball does kick out. If it does, then it would be a plug/pin issue. If it kicks out when you tap the ball, I'd say it's a switch issue.

#3 6 years ago

I have seen the metal guide "fork" spot weld break on the hole kicker. The fork falls out or drops down too low. This causes the ball to sometimes sit too far forward and not push the switch actuator.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I just noticed this. Does this bottom leaf look upside down or is it supposed to be this way? It sure looks wrong to me. This game had several switches with leafs that appeared to be upside down. I fixed most of them.

IMG_1765 (resized).JPGIMG_1765 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Thanks for the suggestions. I just noticed this. Does this bottom leaf look upside down or is it supposed to be this way? It sure looks wrong to me. This game had several switches with leafs that appeared to be upside down. I fixed most of them.

Yes that's fine , Bally used that method, Big small/ big small for some reason , but there's nothing wrong at all with it . don't panic .

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Yes that's fine , Bally used that method, Big small/ big small for some reason , but there's nothing wrong at all with it . don't panic .

Thanks. The issue appears to be the metal 'forks'. They were pushed down too low. I pushed them up from underneath and inward from the top. The issue appears to be fixed. I did have to tweak them a little to stop the ball from draining straight down the middle but I think I got it. Thanks everyone.

1 year later
#7 5 years ago

Well one of my “forks” is gone. Only one leg sticks up. That could be my issue. My switch looks the same as the photo. But one leg is broken off of the fork. Raise the one up and/or over a bit maybe?

#8 5 years ago

Same thing happened to one of my forks. I bought a complete replacement saucer assembly from eBay. If you buy one, just make sure you get the correct side (left or right). They are the same, but the location of the coil and kick out arm assembly define which side it is for.

#9 5 years ago

Nice! Found one on eBay $11 total with shipping. And checked photos for right side - thanks! Hope this takes care of it but def in the right direction

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-ball-gets-stuck-in-saucer-hole?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.