mata hari backbox folds down?

By practicalsteve

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Looks like my friend is going to let me take a hand at restoring her Mata Hari pinball after all! Very excited. However I have not seen the condition yet, hope I can handle it. Want to do a complete "shop" of the playfield at the very least. My question is: Does the backbox fold down on a Mata Hari? not sure if she has the EM or SS version but I am willing to bet it will be SS since the EM version is so much rarer.

Also is there a rule of thumb on knowing if a backbox will fold down on machines? I.e if it was made after a certain year, manufacturers etc....

Thanks in advance, you guys are always so helpful.

#2 12 years ago

Its cool that your friend is going to let you work Mata Hari over but unfortunately the backbox does not fold down. Im not sure the exact year hinges were incorporated but with the vast amount of knowledge available here it wont take long before someone provides a detailed answer.

#4 12 years ago

Ive heard that there are bolts that hold the back box down but is there any reason to take the backbox off of these pre hinge games?

#5 12 years ago

Its actually pretty easy to remove but a second set of hands is very helpful. Remove the backglass and as your friend holds it steady you will be able to remove the 4 bolts. should be 9/16. Before doing this you will need to disconnect the wiring but again not a huge deal. Mark them before removing if you have any hesitations but they are pretty much all different and plugging them back together is not too difficult. Use patience when pulling them apart as they may be brittle as they have been connected for a long time. May be a good idea to wrap the pin as it might go a long way showing your friend that you care about the machine. Remember pics! Have fun cleaning her up!

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

but is there any reason to take the backbox off of these pre hinge games?

Yes, a big reason-you dont want to damage it. The 4 bolts hold it up but are not meant to be used to support it when transporting. Theres just no reason to take that chance.

#7 12 years ago

After looking on flippers.be I am not as worried about removing the backbox. My exact reason for removing backbox is transport. I only have a ford escape (which moved my Hurricane just fine, but the backbox folds on that). Sounds like a bad idea anyway to move a pin in a pick up truck with the backbox still on. my friend said when they moved it to their house they left the back box on AND THE LEGS standing up in a pick up truck! I told her how crazy that was! It takes like 5 minutes to remove the legs. I am looking forward to moving it without the backbox on, it should be much much lighter. Do you normally leave the backglass in the box when transporting or wrap it up and move it seperate?

I will be sure to wrap it extra carefully and mark all wires and take tons of pics. Thanks everyone!

#8 12 years ago

Here are some photos from my Mata Hari restoration if it helps you out at all.

www.photobucket.com/matahari

Aaron

#9 12 years ago

I am sure they will, thanks Goonie!!!!

#10 12 years ago

restoration looks great by the way! don't know if I will come anywhere close to that kind of beauty.

#11 12 years ago

Here's mine:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2558/4168638140_d9608caf34.jpg

Love it. I have more pictures in my "Pinball" set on flickr. If you need any pics or have questions, give me a holler.

#12 12 years ago

removing the backbox is a piece of cake. take some pics so you know how to hook the harness back up before you start unplugging everything tho

#13 12 years ago

Backbox hinges came in 89 with WPC games. Riverboat Gambler might have been the first but not sure.
I generally will keep the backglass in the head for transport. Make sure NOTHING is pressing against that backglass or can press against it if you brake hard.
Don't forget to reconnect the grounding strap.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

restoration looks great by the way! don't know if I will come anywhere close to that kind of beauty.

Thanks. It was my first one, so I'm pretty excited about. Both the Playfield and cabinet were repainted and clear coated, so I felt I had no choice but to shine every part then. Lot of work, but fun.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I generally will keep the backglass in the head for transport. Make sure NOTHING is pressing against that backglass or can press against it if you brake hard.
Don't forget to reconnect the grounding strap.

Thanks for the info, I am sure it will be helpful.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

Both the Playfield and cabinet were repainted and clear coated

Did you do any of the repainting or clear coating? Also did you remove the mylar, and if so did you do anything afterward to add protection?

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Backbox hinges came in 89 with WPC games. Riverboat Gambler might have been the first but not sure.

The backbox on my Pinbot was hinged..That was a bit of a surprise to me as I always associated this with DMD machines. Mata Hari is a great looking game - give us a review on the gameplay and post some pics!

#18 12 years ago

I thought I remembered Pinbot being hinged but all the pics showed it without them.

#19 12 years ago

The Backbox on my 1981 Bally Vector folds down onto the cabinet. It has a different hinge arrangement to newer machines though. Silverball Mania (1978) is the same as Mata Hari, with the four bolts holding the backbox in place. I don't know when the arrangement changed over.

If I transport the SBM to a show, I always remove the backglass and pack it carefully in an old flat screen TV box. I get a bit paranoid about breaking a backglass that is worth nearly half a machine's value.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Goonie said:Both the Playfield and cabinet were repainted and clear coated
Did you do any of the repainting or clear coating? Also did you remove the mylar, and if so did you do anything afterward to add protection?

No, I wish, but I'm not that artistically skilled unfortunately. I sent the Playfield out to HSA Pinball, who removed what Mylar was on there, and had a friend paint and clear coat the cabinet. He uses automotive paint and clear on the cabinets and did an amazing job. Got him lined up for my Star Trek cabinet too if I can ever get it apart and sanded.

General consensus was that adding Mylar back on the playfield wasn't needed given the clear process used and that it's home use now. But, I did toss down some mylar in the shooter lane, as well as around each of the bumpers as those tend to give a beating. Also added some mylar around the flipper buttons, but only because i had them. Other than that, no new Mylar and it's been pretty good.

Aaron

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-backbox-folds-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.