06 (resized).jpg
07 (resized).jpg
05 (resized).jpeg
04 (resized).jpeg
03 (resized).jpeg
02 (resized).jpeg
01 (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Hello, I am attempting to get that MH I was gifted the other month up and running...I'm a complete newbie at this (repair/restore)...tried finding applicable posts here, but got a little overwhelmed at all the information and didn't know where to start/what would apply.

There's an issue with lights in the back box that would illuminate the back glass are out.

At first I just tried swapping a new bulb, but still didn't light. Not sure how / what to test to isolate the issue.

I attached a picture from another user's posting that shows the lights working like they should, as well as a series of pictures that show what I think is happening, but I'm just guessing. The ball in play, tilt, high score lights that run along the bottom and top of the game are working.

Appreciate any suggestions!

01 (resized).jpeg01 (resized).jpeg

02 (resized).jpeg02 (resized).jpeg

03 (resized).jpeg03 (resized).jpeg

04 (resized).jpeg04 (resized).jpeg

05 (resized).jpeg05 (resized).jpeg

07 (resized).jpg07 (resized).jpg

06 (resized).jpg06 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

the GI in the backbox goes to J3 on the power pcb above the transformer. ( the big 20 pin plug) pin 1,2 10,11 should all be familiar colors

faults on that board are very common

#3 7 years ago

Thanks wiredoug – can the part failing be repaired or would it require a new board?

#4 7 years ago

Some folks like to keep their pins all original, but for me, trying to repair an old, under-engineered Bally rectifier board that has probably already been hacked six ways to Sunday is just not worth the effort. Get the replacement board from Great Plains, replace/re-pin your Molex connectors, and be done with it once and for all.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=135-105

If it shows out of stock, email Ed. He sometimes has one or two on hand.

#5 7 years ago

Yeah, I'm looking into also replacing Solenoid Driver Board, MPU, and Lamp Driver board, really doing my own high-end restoration. Wanted to see if I could get it up and running cheaply first.

I wasn't aware of the rectifier board replacement though, so thanks for the suggestion zombywoof.

#6 7 years ago

If the general illumination lights are working on the playfield, then the rectifier board that supplies ~7 volts AC for these lamps is working correctly. That would mean there is a 99% chance that the problem is with the connector that connects the rectifier board to the molex connector that carries the voltage to the lamp sockets in the backbox. The connector I am referring to is the large 20 pin Molex connector identified as J3 on the rectifier board. If the white connector looks burnt, which is likely will, this is your problem. The solution is to remove the rectifier board from the machine and replace the J3 male connector pins. You MUST also replace the connector pins in the Molex connector. While this is not for the novice pinball repairer, it doesn't involve more than $5 in parts and will be much cheaper and easier than replacing the entire rectifier board, which involves soldering a bunch of wires (and you will still need to replace the Molex connector pins).

#7 7 years ago

thanks BallyPinWiz – I have a buddy that I think can help me do this, so will look into that. I'll keep everyone posted.

#8 7 years ago

Connector rebuild kit ordered from Marco and should be here this week.

3 years later
#9 3 years ago

Hello just wanted to add that this worked for me. Mata Hari had playfield GI ON, but backbox GI OFF.

I re-pinned the three plugs going into the rectifier board. Backbox GI came right back. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-back-box-lighting-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.