Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B12A5B84-277D-4C44-84E3-103D6DD53F33 (resized).jpeg
thumb_IMG_0292_1024 (resized).jpg
thumb_IMG_0293_1024 (resized).jpg
IMG_0677 (resized).jpg
IMG_0673 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyfan64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I know this has been brought many times but is there a definitive fix for this issue? The left bank of drop targets will occasionally brick if hit dead on real hard. What’s interesting is the right side never bricks. I replaced the springs, and tried adding a little wax on the metal ledge that they rest on. I also tried adjusting the leaf switches. They are not original drop targets. They are aftermarket.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Have you taken the assembly completely apart and just did a good cleaning? Before I replaced my targets I took the assemblies off and completely torn them down along with the resetting arm that hooks up to the coils and even the coils sleeves and wet sanded all the metal with 400 and 600 grit and then waxed it all with carnauba. Drops and resets as smooth as butter now. Not exactly a mechanical fix but it helped mine out.

I have not done that but thanks for the tips. I will give it a shot. I just rebuilt the flippers. Game is playing great except for this nagging problem.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

in most cases this kind of problem is typically caused by the rubber ring located behind the targets

Too thick? I know some people have tried a smaller size to stretch the rubber thinner. What I can't understand is that it never happens on the right side targets.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

either too thick or stretched with tension on opposite side of targets making the target side of the rubber looser than it should be causing the targets to rebound off the rubber when hit and not actually drop

That makes sense. If you take a close look at these pictures, you can see that the left side drop targets are a tiny bit closer to the top of the cutout in the playfield. The right side is more centered top to bottom. Which mean the left side is actually a hair closer to the rubber than the right side. That may explain why the right side never bricks. It's got a tiny bit more room and may not hit the rubber. There's no real wiggle room under the playfield to adjust the assembly. At least nothing that I can see. I had the whole assembly apart today to clean and wax it. It still bricked a couple times but maybe not as often.

IMG_0673 (resized).jpgIMG_0673 (resized).jpgIMG_0677 (resized).jpgIMG_0677 (resized).jpg
#11 5 years ago

It could be the wood. Hard to say for sure. I’ll try to do some more testing. I think what I can do is take the rubber off and try a rubber band to see what happens. I hate to take it all out again. I just had it all apart. What a pain. It would be major surgery to mess with the wood. I don’t really want to do that.

#16 5 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I just had the entire assembly out yesterday. When I put it back I had a different problem with the targets not staying up when reset. I’ve had that issue before so I knew what to do there. I had to adjust the lever that raises the targets into place. That part is working ok now. Anyway the screws were and are tight. There’s no real play in trying to shift the assembly. Not unless I enlarge the holes which I don’t want to do.

That’s pretty cool that you looked at the issue under slow mo. I can try to double up the springs or maybe use a smaller size rubber ring. I think it calls for 2 1/2”.

#22 5 years ago

Yes they are the wrong style drop targets. The reason I never changed them to the correct style is because these have custom stickers on them. There's no real room to slide it forward. I tried. I wish I had thought to elongate the metal holes when I had the assembly out the other day.

thumb_IMG_0292_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0292_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0293_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0293_1024 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#24 5 years ago

I finally got back to this. I replaced the rubber and went to a size 2” instead of the spec 2 1/2”. That made a noticeable improvement but still not perfect. So I went ahead and purchased the original tombstone style drop targets and new springs from Pinball Resource. A combination of all these things appears to have solved the issue. I hated giving up my custom targets but the game works much better.

I’m trying to get the custom targets remade in the tombstone style. If I can’t I’ll stick with these new ones. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

B12A5B84-277D-4C44-84E3-103D6DD53F33 (resized).jpegB12A5B84-277D-4C44-84E3-103D6DD53F33 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyfan64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-another-bally-drop-target-brick-problem-?tu=phillyfan64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.