(Topic ID: 228966)

Mata Hari - advice re Alltek SDB & Burnt Coils ???

By ScottoKong

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I've just picked up a Mata Hari with Alltek MPU and SDB.

Top LET Bumper and 1 Chime have cooked coils with all wiring in place (power not cut off).

Wiring to both coils is still in place and the associated LED fires in test mode.

The game continues to play despite the burnt coils getting triggered.

Does this sound right - typical behaviour?
Is the coil protection kicking in?
Not sure if I should be seeing errors on the Alltek SDB - the game continues to play complete games???
Safe to assume I can simply replace the Coils?

Thanks heaps!

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from ScottoKong:

I've just picked up a Mata Hari with Alltek MPU and SDB.
Top LET Bumper and 1 Chime have cooked coils with all wiring in place (power not cut off).
Wiring to both coils is still in place and the associated LED fires in test mode.
The game continues to play despite the burnt coils getting triggered.
Does this sound right - typical behaviour?
Is the coil protection kicking in?
Not sure if I should be seeing errors on the Alltek SDB - the game continues to play complete games???
Safe to assume I can simply replace the Coils?
Thanks heaps!

I assume that the coils probably had burned before the SDB was replaced. Should be safe to replace the coils....I would advise to check the pop switch to make sure that it won't cause the pop bumper to lock on. Make sure any protection diodes across the new coils are oriented correctly, and either purchase coils with diodes already installed or just install new ones, don't take a chance with reusing the old diodes. Finally, when powering up watch carefully to make sure no coils stick on - shut it down quickly if anything does.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I assume that the coils probably had burned before the SDB was replaced. Should be safe to replace the coils....I would advise to check the pop switch to make sure that it won't cause the pop bumper to lock on. Make sure any protection diodes across the new coils are oriented correctly, and either purchase coils with diodes already installed or just install new ones, don't take a chance with reusing the old diodes. Finally, when powering up watch carefully to make sure no coils stick on - shut it down quickly if anything does.

Thanks heaps Wayout

You confirmed what I was thinking.

The pop scores points so it should be fine but will monitor when I put the new coil in.
The pop coil looks brand new - the newest I've ever seen in a machine this age. Installed without a Diode!

My first machine with chimes so changing that coil will be something new.

Thanks again!

#4 5 years ago

I would disconnect the obvious burnt coils , put an ohm meter on them to see if shorted (probably burned open?)

Check the fuse under the playfield for proper value, looks like schematic says 1-Amp slo-blo

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from ScottoKong:

Top LET Bumper and 1 Chime have cooked coils

Quoted from ScottoKong:

The pop coil looks brand new

How is it cooked if it looks brand new?

Quoted from ScottoKong:

Installed without a Diode!

Probably took out the driver on the old SDB.

#6 5 years ago

Had pretty much the same situation with a Stingray I just picked up has both Alltek boards installed dead pop bumper and trough kick out coil but the game would power on with no problems pop coil was melted and kick out was toasty replaced both with new coils/diodes and all good now.

#7 5 years ago

Normally the playfield 1A SB fuse would have blown before all those coils cooked. MH was made before the playfield fuse was added. A service bulletin went out advising to modify the coil wiring with a fuse to protect the transistors from being cooked. You may want to consider making that mod to protect your boards in the future.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I installed a new pop coil and I'm back in business. Hopefully a new chime coil we be all I need to get it working again.

I've got a playfield fuse. I'll have a better look next time I'm under the hood!

#9 5 years ago

chicken or the egg

did the transistor short and cook the coil or did the diode on the coil go short and cook the transistor?

My Mata Hari has the playfield coil fuse by the flippers and was seemingly built that way in the factory.

What should be fused and is not is the chime box. You get bonus points for fusing that.... the knocker too...

#10 5 years ago

I have had a few Mati Hari's, including it being the first game I ever owned. When I was in the biz I never got one in that didn't have a fuse under the playfield. Maybe an early production thing?

#11 5 years ago

My Mata Hari has a factory fuse holder under the playfield too. It is a flimsy design and should be replaced w/a sturdier one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-advice-re-alltek-sdb-amp-burnt-coils- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.