• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JethroP
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPU_Sockets 004a.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 64bsstp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

OK, normally I just puzzle these out but this one has me stumped. So looking for some hints from some of you other board techs.
This 2518-17 mpu runs Leon's tests just fine. It has been modified to run 2732's at U2 and U6. I have tried a couple different sets of roms and confirmed the roms are good in another mpu. I have swapped and confirmed all the other chips in the other mpu board. I am getting the first flicker and 7 full flashes on the LED. THEN, instead of a half lit LED and a booted up game I get a quick half-lit flash and the LED goes dark. The 6800 is still chugging but nothing useful is happening. The voltages are fine including the +43V and the zero crossing signal is present at U10 pin 18. R134 has been replaced and has +5 on it.
Anybody seen this issue?

#4 6 years ago

I should have mentioned that. I checked those pulses and they are indeed present at U11 pin 40.
The only oddity I have found in comparison to a running board is after that 7th flash the IRQA and IRQB pins measure 2.25V (although the logic probe still shows Hi/Lo pulses) whereas on a running mpu those lines measure 4.8V. I don't know if that is a symptom of a problem or just a consequence of a failed bootup.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Yep, 555 timer at U12 would be my suggestion as well. I've had them bench test 7 flashes and not boot a game when this chip was bad.

Wait. Reread your post. Are you saying the 555 chip goes bad and can output "poor" pulses? (I haven't put the scope on the 555 yet. Maybe better do that....)

#6 6 years ago

555 pulses look good.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

It is possible for a bad and/or too slow of 5101 RAM can cause the 7 flash then crash symptom. Worth trying new PIAs too as a bad port might cause a lockup... say the port that monitors a zero cross or display interrupt is bad yet the power on self test routine thinks it can control that port which makes the software stop running.

Agreed. I tried several 5101s, 6810s, swapped the 6821s and swapped the 6800. Same result.
Frankly, I expected to find a solder bridge (or open trace) somewhere but I have looked and cannot find any.

#10 6 years ago

Getting about 500Hz out of the 555.
The pulses on the IRQ line look about right as far as frequency but instead of being a square top wave they have a big slope to them. I think somewhere a couple lines are shorted.
Board came out of a Bally Mata Hari that has been sitting for many, many years. Slight battery damage - bead blasted and neutralized. I have replaced all the sockets. I know, way too much time but I do it for the challenge not the income and I have a "never die" attitude toward games. This board is nowhere near that bad.

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for the additional responses gentlemen. I will investigate and report back.

1 month later
#15 6 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz1969:

It's been awhile since you reported back. Is the verdict in?

It has! And my apologies.
I've been busy on a couple Hardtop projects and have not gotten back to this board.
But I will - it's on the bench. I have not forgotten.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 64bsstp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-17-mpu-7-flashes-but-wont-boot?tu=64bsstp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.