(Topic ID: 188108)

Mata Hari 1000 point chime stops after several games

By phillyfan64

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

New problem with my Mata Hari that only seems to happen after a half dozen or so games have been played. The 1000 point chime just stops working. It doesn't seem gummed up and the wiring to the coil seems ok. After the game has been turned off for a little while it works fine again. What should I be looking for? It has an Alltek MPU board. Thank you.

#2 6 years ago

Play it until it stops working. Peek in the door and see if the plunger is stuck up in the coil. If you can't see it thru the door, gently raise the field enough to get your eyes on that coil. If the plunger is stuck in the coil, turn the game off and see if it drops back down. Then replace the driver tranny.

If the plunger is at rest, lift the plunger enough to get a rag moistened with Goo-Gone in there to clean the rubber stopper. If there is no stopper order replacements. Retest. If it works, stop here. If it still doesn't work...

Go up in the head and find the chime driver tranny. Connect a jumper to the braid in the head (should be a stud in the middle of the bottom of the head) and quickly tap the tab of the driver. There will be sparks. This is normal. Does the chime sound? If yes, replace driver tranny. If no...

Get your meter out and set to 200VDC. Black lead on cabinet ground braid, red lead on each lug of the coil in turn. Should see solenoid voltage on both.

That gets you started...

#3 6 years ago

Thank you for the info. I made a small mistake. It's actually the 10,000 chime. It's the one that's by itself. I don't have a schematic. The 10,000 pt chime is solenoid 6. Would that correspond to transistor Q6?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Thank you for the info. I made a small mistake. It's actually the 10,000 chime. It's the one that's by itself. I don't have a schematic. The 10,000 pt chime is solenoid 6. Would that correspond to transistor Q6?

In stern world... yes. In Bally world.... no, they mixed it all up for some stupid reason.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Transistor_Mapping_for_Bally_Games

looks like the 10k chime is Q7 and connector J2-12. look for cracked solder joints. The transistors hang off the pcb and the solder can crack like header pins will.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

In stern world... yes. In Bally world.... no, they mixed it all up for some stupid reason.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Transistor_Mapping_for_Bally_Games
looks like the 10k chime is Q7 and connector J2-12. look for cracked solder joints. The transistors hang off the pcb and the solder can crack like header pins will.

Great info. Thanks guys.

#6 6 years ago

Following the troubleshooting steps above it appears to be a bad transistor. However I decided to sort of bulletproof the game and replace the old board with an Alltek solenoid driver board. I know it's overkill but the game already has an Alltek MPU and lamp driver board. I figure this should prevent a lot of issues down the road. Thanks guys.

#7 6 years ago

You might want to put a toe-tag on that board which tranny is crapping out, and under what conditions.

Or fix it, test it, and have it as a quick-swap fix if the alltek ever fails at an inopportune moment (just before the party).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 69.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 10.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-1000-point-chime-stops-after-several-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.