(Topic ID: 141969)

Mastering the collector "dead flip"

By swampfire

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

One of the hardest things to master in pinball is the "dead flip", also known as the "dead bounce" or "bounce pass". It's the art of strategically doing nothing:

I think it's equally hard to apply to dead flip technique to collecting. If you can own a game for more than a year and spend less than $50 on it, you've mastered the collector dead flip. I've only done this with a few games, and usually that was because new parts were simply not available.

I bring this up because I just bought a nice, fully-working "The Shadow" for a good price (I think): $2700. I want to replace the head decals, plastics and translite, and add some LEDs and a ColorDMD. That would make it a $3600 game. I'm already thinking about this, even before getting the game set up. That's not much different than a kid who walks up to a game, hits the start button 4 times and hits both flipper buttons repeatedly.

I really want to learn the collector dead flip. I lost $700 selling my last game, because I gave it too much love. This time around, I want to do as much as I can to restore the game without spending money, and then think about next steps.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I usually expect to throw at least $350-$500 at a game, not including LEDs.

That's kind of my point. I think we all expect to throw $$$ into a game after buying it, even if it's fully working. That's a relatively new phenomenon. We used to buy games, clean them up and play them as-is. I'm not saying that the after-market possibilities are all bad. In fact I find the ColorDMD damned near impossible to resist, and you can bet that when Skateball playfields are ready I'll buy one.

My wife hates Alec Baldwin for some reason, so a new translite for TS is definitely going to happen.

#12 8 years ago

I'm not coming down on any real position here, it's just something I've noticed lately about my own collecting. I'm buying a lot more toys for my toys lately, especially shakers, speakers and CDMD. But like Flake said, the CDMD is portable. I rationalized my PDI glass that way too.

Even discounting the fun we have, pinball is still great from a "total cost of ownership" perspective. I'm only down $2000 after selling about 25 games over 16 years.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think a good policy is only invest in improving a game if you plan on keeping it. I have yet to implement this policy.

That's what happened with me and CSI. For the first year, I thought it was the best game ever. I'll miss it, but I'm glad it's going to a good new home.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How is this one of the "hardest things to do?"

It's hard because a lot of us have OCD. If I have one cracked plastic and the rest are good, it drives me crazy to know that there's a repro set available. If a CPR playfield is available and it's a game with especially good art (like Mata Hari), I can't just pretend it doesn't exist.

I'm pretty good about cleaning and reusing perfectly good parts, like playfield posts. But if one of them is cracked, out it goes...

#26 8 years ago

I've done a pretty good job dead-flipping my Fathom. I actually reduced my cost, because I sold the chrome armor back to its original owner. I bought a CPR playfield for it, but later sold that to a friend whose Fathom needed it more than mine. I've given it new plastics and drop targets, but I've resisted the urge to repaint the cab and replace the coin door.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Are you going to sell the Fathom? If not why worry about what you have in to it. I know once my silverball is done it would be worth half of what a Fathom is worth but it's one of those games I really want to look showroom new.

Fathom is a keeper. But once I accepted that its playfield was "good enough", it was easier to accept the cabinet as it is. I enjoy doing playfield swaps, but I'm OK with my "nice survivor" Fathom. I'll channel my time and $ into other pins that need more help - like this Skateball I just picked up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mastering-the-collector-dead-flip?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.