Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by whthrs166
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

63 (resized).JPG
    64 (resized).JPG
    65 (resized).JPG
    20180831_190501 (resized).jpg
    20180831_190322 (resized).jpg
    history-wheel-caveman-entrepreneur-neanderthal-invent-mly0764_low (resized).jpg
    e4af6369c659de0addf082307a2f28defef348cb (resized).jpg
    IMG_8171 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8169 (resized).JPG
    FG658-GO-Pro-Strength-Remover-Aerosol-Image-0216-1000-x-1000-2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-08-26-15-39-55~01 (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gmkalos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 5 years ago

Freeze can is nice but I'm starting to like the hair dryer more!

For glue remover it's step 1 and done...

FG658-GO-Pro-Strength-Remover-Aerosol-Image-0216-1000-x-1000-2 (resized).pngFG658-GO-Pro-Strength-Remover-Aerosol-Image-0216-1000-x-1000-2 (resized).png

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Isn't this dangerous for playfields .?? The pro strength

If used on a factory cleared pf nothing will clean it better, if the pf is bare just use goo-gone and be prepared for your arm to fall off. lol

#30 5 years ago
    e4af6369c659de0addf082307a2f28defef348cb (resized).jpge4af6369c659de0addf082307a2f28defef348cb (resized).jpg
    #34 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Has anyone removed mylar with Freon?

Freon is HIGHLY toxic not a good idea at all!!! Believe me I was a professional mechanic we were sticklers in the shop for recovering freon. Besides it wouldn't work anyway it pulls heat from the air in a confined gaseous state as soon as you spray it most of it would escape.

Freeze spray works just fine. It only pulls up the paint when the mylar has bubbled/lifted and has dirt underneath it and nothing will prevent that from not happening. You just have to let the freeze spray take hold, don't get impatient, keep it frozen and work in small areas.

Personally I like using the hair drier more I feel like you have more control, a heat gun is overkill.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I have been in walk in coolers and freezers where dry ice was in use. I would rather use refrigerant.

Dude I don't know where you were trained but ALL FREON IS HIGHLY TOXIC! We've had many of EPA meetings and safety classes about recovering freon prior to working on a/c systems for cars. The recovery machines we used in our shop at Lincoln were not cheep. It's NOT "air in a can" its a serious chemical that may cause DEATH...in a can! lol

R-12 was used in the 50's-70's for cooling systems, R-134a is the standard for the automotive industry nowadays. You can convert a old car to 134 if you just change out the catch can.

https://www.cshvac.com/dangers-breathing-freon/

EPA on Freon...

https://www.epa.gov/section608

#47 5 years ago

SMH! lol

history-wheel-caveman-entrepreneur-neanderthal-invent-mly0764_low (resized).jpghistory-wheel-caveman-entrepreneur-neanderthal-invent-mly0764_low (resized).jpg
    #53 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Yes it is.
    And, I am fully trained and licensed.
    The fact of the matter is, that if you are in the trade you will be exposed to it.
    Generally, we are all exposed to it from time to time.
    Did any of the evaporators in those autos ever leak?
    With the windows closed the occupants of that auto were exposed.
    If someone's central air conditioning has a leak in the evaporator are the occupants of that house not exposed?
    Restaurants, shopping malls, processing plants, any place that has air conditioning or refrigeration will have refrigerant floating around at some point.
    We are subjected to all kinds of chemicals today whether we know it or not.

When I get a car with a leak I never charge it to find the leak unless I absolutely have to cause it has no die in the system and its a pinhole leak, and even then I would do that outside with a minimal amount from a can and die in my gauges. You can find the leak using a uv light, there's usually residual die in the system, fix the o-ring or compressor then pull a vacuum and let it hold for a while to make sure its not leaking before you recharge it. I wouldn't intentionally expose myself to freon to do the same thing as non toxic freeze spray would do with virtually no difference. All your doing is freezing the glue and the mylar will peel right off, using a hair dryer actually softens the glue and makes the next step of removing it that much easier.

#59 5 years ago

Heat method, cleaned, touch-ups then cleared!

63 (resized).JPG63 (resized).JPG64 (resized).JPG64 (resized).JPG65 (resized).JPG65 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gmkalos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mastered-mylar-removal?tu=gmkalos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.