(Topic ID: 209345)

Massive Pinball Auction in Tulsa OK 02/18/18 (160 pins!)

By Damonator

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 601 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zh2oson
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wonka i see what you did (resized).jpg
2018-03-01 13.58.15 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1465701768240 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170514-092129.png
5567093012563155901 (resized).jpg
shopping-1 (resized).jpg
peacock2 (resized).jpg
20180218_151337 (resized).jpg
skybin (7).JPG
000_1890 (resized).JPG
000_1888 (resized).JPG
000_1887 (resized).JPG
000_1886 (resized).JPG
000_1885 (resized).JPG
000_1884 (resized).JPG
000_1883 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #348 Hammer prices Posted by classicgamefan (6 years ago)

Post #398 Auction results summary Posted by NicoVolta (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 6 years ago

My wife would kill me for sure but I am still looking at the math for a 2400 mile round trip. It wouldn't be the craziest thing I have ever done and isn't likely even in the top ten craziest things I have ever considered! I need help!!!

#79 6 years ago

A question for you guys that are fairly local. Are there enough "serious" buyers in the area to keep prices on most of these machines close to market value or do you see a good many of the more common (or more beat up) machines selling cheap? I know here in Central PA an auction that size would draw a big enough group of buyers that not much would sell cheap. What is your take on that area?

I am still considering a 2500 mile round trip but wouldn't want to make the drive to pay top dollar or come home 1/2 empty.

Also - one of my main interest these days is parts. Are there parts & parts machines being sold or is this auction mostly just the 160 fairly decent looking machines?

Since I NEVER part out anything that is worth trying to save I didn't see much for me as far as parts with machines that have been posted so far. Most look far too nice to do anything but restore them!

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

Thanks Damon for all the time you have put into this for your fellow Pinsiders. You have gone way beyond all expectations and it is greatly appreciated.

I agree 100%

Doing what you have done has greatly helped the auctioneer / the family of the seller / and the pinball community. GREAT WORK!

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I can't find it, but somewhere on Pinside is a list of the results of the auction of the Silverman collection a few years ago. A lot of games went very cheap.

There were actually 3 auctions from the Sliverman Collection - the first two auctions things basically went for market value and those pins were mostly the "better" pins from the collection. Prices posted above were from one of the first two auction.

The CRAZY Silverman auction was the third one: close to 500 machines with 60 to 80% of them being in rough shape. Decent machines at that auction still brought decent money but the "junk" machines went very cheap. I don't remember exactly but I think over 100 machines sold for under $25 each and another 100+ sold for less the $50 each.

But you need to remember two things - first off there were 500 machines (not 160 like at this auction) and second that was the 3rd large pinball auction in just a few months here in Central PA. So most people wanting machines had plenty to chose from. Plus the auction with 475+ machines only had about 50 fairly nice to nice machines maybe another 50 to 100 were in decent condition and the rest were missing backglasses, had rough cabinets, bad playfields, etc.

Bottom line - I doubt this auction will be anything like the last Silverman auction. I expect there will be a few good deals but I think it is highly unlikely that there will be any (or many) "killer deals".

Another HUGE difference between this and the third Silverman auction is basically NONE of the machines at that last auction actually worked. It has been a few years but if my memory is correct maybe 20 or so working machines (if that).

If I was closer I would still love to attend but I just can't justify the drive. Good luck to all you guys that make the auction - it should be fun!

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

He’s just being honest. I guarantee there won’t be any shilling or buybacks - the *last* thing Jay wants is to own a pinball machine at the end of the auction. He’d rather get $10 for it than be stuck with it.

It sounds to me like he is trying to do his best to help as many remote bidders as possible when that isn't something he would typically be doing.

If I were making the trip I would be more concerned about the number of people that now know about the sale and that will be standing next to you bidding. A good thing for the sellers family & auctioneer but not so good for the buyers.

For anyone considering making the trip - I would not think twice about it if I was within a few hours driving distance. It should be fun regardless if you can buy anything or not. Rarely do you see over 100 machines for auction in one place! I expect it will be like any other "typical" auction with 25% of the stuff going well over what it should - 50% going at around average prices - and 25% being great deals. The question will be are any of the "great deals" machines you are interested in?

Wish I was closer!

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You know, Hoss, from your very first post here you have been trying to crap all over the birthday cake. What is it to you? You are not attending.
I'm not sure what message you are trying to send with your choked chicken pic. It is an auction. Auction houses work for the seller. Auction houses advertise forthcoming auctions. You have no idea how this guy is going to run his auction. Will alcohol be served? Or not? You don't have a clue. I have no idea why you are dwelling on it.
+++++++++++++++++
From your post #120: " This 'collection' is actually a parts/project hoarders wet dream. Many games are in poor condition, looked like they were purchased from a regional or local operator and then effectively set up, played some more and left to age...
Well, so FKing what? What I am used to seeing on pinside are pics of some warehouse where the roof collapsed years ago and the pins are a bunch of stinky, moldy, planked play fields, flacked back glasses, and buckets of rust.
What I see here are a lot of nice play fields and nice back glasses. A lot of pins that will not take all that much to restore. Maybe some of these pins will leaves one hoarder's barn only to move to another. But some of these pins are going to go to good homes. So, what is wrong with that?
++++++++++++++++++++++++
From your post #147: " I have a feeling this auction is going south already with the 'we haven't done this before, we require this and that, and we have never done this with remote buyers before, etc.' That is not a good way to go about an auction like this, to try and do something where they have never done it before. All I have to say, won't be making it, and won't be bidding either. Feels like it has lots of potential for shilling and errors, and as a result not a real good auction...
You are doing a great job of Monday morning quarter backing. There are some questions raised with regards to the remote bidding, but for the most part your opinions are baseless. You are just making some wild assed assumptions.

Funny I was reading some of this stuff this morning and thinking the same thing. Sounds more like sour grapes than honest assessment to me. Personally I don't like some of what I am hearing about the way they attend to handle phone bids - etc. and I do think that is going to slow the auction down a good bit but since I will not be attending it really doesn't matter to me.

To me it sounds like the auctioneer is a great guy doing his best to get seller as much as possible and also work with out of state buyers the best way he knows how. Is it perfect - not by a long shot - but at least he is trying. My advice to people who can't make it that really want something would be to try to find someone heading to the auction that can bid for them. Not an easy task but there are a lot of great people here on Pinside so in my eyes that would be how I would approach things first.

Anyway - good luck to everyone that does attend. One thing I can say for sure is it will be an experience you will not soon forget. I know this from my experience with the Silverman collection final auction. That happened years ago and I still think about it often - what a rush to see that many machines being sold in one place on one day!

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Someone on RGP mentioned that some games from the original list are now missing. Any truth to that, and if so, what games are missing?

According to the "latest list" on the auctioneers web site there are 159 listed so if any went missing others were added. It is possible he decided not to list machines that were not complete or something on "final list" but it is highly unlikely "side deals" were made before the auction. Auctioneers typically wouldn't do that - they are smart enough to know if someone wants something that bad other people will likely want it just as bad or worse. And since they are paid based on selling price they want as much as possible out of each item.

Knowing from experience occasionally family will pull something from a auction they decided to keep for one reason or another but normally once a auctioneer list something for sale it is their at the sale.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely. Glad the surgery seems to have went OK, and best of luck on the speedy recovery.
Would love to have been out in OK for this, but if it's on RGP too I'm sure there will be a boatload of people out in masses for the games. Contrary to what a few people have chimed in with here, a lot of the games seem to be in relatively great condition IMO.

Colson,

I agree 100% - auction has been well advertised both here & on RGP as well as being posted on Mr Pinball and Auction Zip, etc. I doubt if much will go cheap. As far as condition of machines listed most look to be "better than average" so again this will bring in bidders that might have otherwise passed on this auction. I think seller & auctioneer are going to do quite well but I don't expect it to be a buyers sale.

It would be great if someone could post prices realized. Perhaps OP could even get a sold for price list from the auctioneer once sale is over. I don't see why auctioneer would mind doing that for OP with all the help he has been to get word out about this auction. I know there are a lot of us that would love to know hammer price on these machines!

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from LukeInOklahoma:

Damonator, any idea how these machines are going to be auctioned? alphabetical order? by mfg date? or just down the line? By my calculations, this auction won't be over till 3 or 4 am

Typically auctioneers sell items in the order they are lined up. So if there is a row of machines they will likely start at one end and work to the other end. Then move over to the next row and do the same thing. I doubt they will be jumping all over - that would just get too crazy.

As far as length of sale when Morphy's sold over 500 lots (400+ machines plus some parts lots) the auction lasted less than 5 hours. They were selling at a pretty insane pace that day even with phone bids & everything else going on. The crazy thing is they provided free pizza and sale kept going even while people were grabbing some pizza.

Typically most auctioneers average about 45 to 60 lots per hour so if this is a "normal" sale the actual auction should last about 3 hours.

As with most of the stuff I post I am talking from personal experience. When I was dealing in antiques & collectibles I attended an average of about 30 auctions a week for over 10 years and I never remember any auctioneer selling less than about 40 lots per hour or more than about 75 lots per hour except for the Sliverman auction. The pace at that auction was totally insane but with around 500 lots to sell they had to keep things moving. Plus Morphy's is a "well organized machine" with lots of experience with phone bidding - etc. I would expect the pace of this auction to be in the 45 to 60 lots per hour range - perhaps towards the slower end since they are doing something new with phone bidding.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The original list was provided to Jay before he was given possession of the games. Once he got the games, there was one game on the original list that wasn't there - Darling. But there was an additional game that wasn't listed - El Dorado.
There hasn't been any swaps or pre-selling to my knowledge.
And yes, I'll try and get the final prices once the auction is over.

Thanks for all your hard work with this! Pinsiders owe you one for sure! It would be great if you can post prices. Thanks again!

#267 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

They’re doing “buyer’s choice”. Ffffffffffffffff.
Five at a time. Highest bidder gets first choice and can optionally buy 1-4 more at same price.
Bidding then continues for the rest. Not a fan... but oh well.

I second the "glad I didn't waste my time and fuel" - that has got to be the worst way to have to buy and will also likely slow things down a bit. It will be interesting to hear from you guys that made the trip - keep us posted! If my memory is correct you are two hours behind us here on the east coast?

#355 6 years ago

Sounds like some of the people bidding watch Pawn Stars or American Pickers and thought the prices on those shows were for real! I am glad I didn't go but I am happy for the seller. However I do feel kind of sorry for some of the buyers.

From prices listed above I didn't see any bargains and as stated it looks more like prices on finished machines not projects as far as pirces on most of them. With that said some of the machines did look pretty nice in some of the pictures.

#411 6 years ago

Here is the MILLION DOLLAR question for anyone that drove over 2 hours to get to that auction: "Knowing what you know now would you do it again"?

I expect the answer from the majority of people who reply will be no. And if that is the case then seller did well and a lot of people wasted time and money attending.

In any event it will be great to see a full list of realized prices if that becomes possible.

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The auctioneer actually hadn't planned on anyone driving in from out of state for the auction or bidding remotely. He was just thinking about the local turnout if he had the auction in the little town or in Tulsa. Obviously, he chose to move them to Tulsa. He is based out of Tulsa and it allowed him to visit the rented Fontana space on a daily basis.

Also sometimes sellers just don't want people in their space. For example if there are still machines, parts, etc to be sold in the future selling family might not have wanted that to be known? As OP posted it was likely because of best chance to get most money but there might also be other factors. It sounds like the auctioneer has been around for a while so I am sure he knows what he is doing. Someone new might do something silly but someone who has been around for years pretty much knows how not to make huge mistakes.

I am happy for the family but I kind of feel sorry for some of the people who drove several hundred miles expecting a deal. Years ago I learned auctions are a "crap shoot" and about one in twenty turns out bad for sellers and great for buyers. The hard thing is to know how to pick the ones to attend as a buyer.

Years ago when I was dealing in antiques & collectibles full time I would hit as many as 30 or 40 auctions a week. Typically I would only spend "big money" at an average of one sale every couple weeks. The rest of the time I just tried to cover my expenses and make a few dollars. Buying at auction is a science very few people have mastered. I made a full time living doing it for about 20 years and am still learning everyday. I had the feeling this was one to pass on and I am glad I didn't make the trip. But thinking about making the trip got me looking for other deals and I did land another deal from a guy retiring from doing repairs. So shortly I'll be picking up a trailer load of machines & parts thanks to this sale.

#551 6 years ago

It would be interesting to know the "back story" on these machines. Was the owner just crazy into pins - did he have a big selection set up to play - etc. Since it was basically one of each title it doesn't seem like something an operator would have had so I keep thinking just a private collection. If it was just a "private collection" it seems kind of strange no one here knew him or has posted about him? Closet collector hording pins quietly for some reason? Better yet is how did he buy so many pins and not cross paths with someone here when buying? (No I remember that guy he bought a ___ ____ off me or anything like that).

Lots of questions that will likely go unanswered but it does make you wonder doesn't it?

#553 6 years ago

One more "thought" about this auction. Was it a "test run" with better stuff being sold off later? I know sometimes families will give an auctioneer enough for one sale and "see how it goes" before doing a bigger or better sale with that auctioneer. I can't help thinking that might have been the case here because there were no parts or anything else just machines. 160 machines is basically the "perfect number" for one sale. Was it a case of "let me take the first 150 (or so) and prove to you I can make you good money on these" or was it a case of the guy just happened to have about the perfect number of machines for one auction?

I guess time will tell!

Or maybe parts and other odds & ends will get sold off when the rest of the contents of the building are sold? I just don't see how you can own 160 pins and not have other pinball related items to sell?

In any event watching this post has been fun!

#556 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

based on the stories, I am betting this is already the left overs???
Sounds like quite a few others already knew about this guy and it is 8 years post death. The good stuff is likely long gone ans if it is not, then I bet it will be before an actual auction happens again...

I am not saying the "good stuff is yet to come" I am just saying there might be more coming. Maybe even the "bad stuff?" but it just seems odd - no parts - and about the "perfect" number of machines to auction in the first load?

Typically auctioneers try to keep auctions about 4 hours (or less) to get "best return" for their customers (sellers). 160 machines made for a good 4 hour auction! If a sale runs too long prices really drop off at the end. If an auction is too small (or short) it doesn't bring in a big enough crowd. So most auctioneers look for about a 3 to 4 hour sale with 150 to 200 bidders - the "perfect size sale & crowd".

If there are machines or parts remaining I doubt they would leave just a few behind. So it seems like one of two things might happen. Just junk remains & that will be sold with shelving & other stuff from the building or maybe a second auction similar to this last one but with "better" or "worse" machines.

As far as your comment "The good stuff is likely long gone ans if it is not, then I bet it will be before an actual auction happens again.." With what seller got out of this last load of machines I highly doubt they would sell better stuff off any way but with a second auction. Whey would they "wholesale" any additional machines with the prices this stuff sold for?

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Man, with all of the conspiracy theories about this auction being tossed around, I'm starting to think it might qualify for inclusion in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-greatest-pinball-mysteries-of-all-time

I don't really see any "conspiracy theories" just an auctioneer working to get the most money for his seller. There my or my not be more to come - but one thing for sure is he hit it out of the park on that first sale!

#569 6 years ago

One additional thought about this sale or any Public Sale. A couple "trolls" keep trying to get their 2 cents in but the nice thing about a Public Auction is the buyer gets to decide what the "right" price is for an item being sold. If bidding goes higher than one buyer is willing to pay that just says someone else felt the "right price" for that item was higher. No one forces anyone to overpay for items - that is a buyers choice.

In the end -- in a free market economy buyers are actually the ones setting the price. Sellers can ask what ever they want but if no one buys an item doesn't sell. Auctions just make it all happen much quicker!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/massive-pinball-auction-in-tulsa-ok-021818-160-pins?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.