(Topic ID: 209345)

Massive Pinball Auction in Tulsa OK 02/18/18 (160 pins!)

By Damonator

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 601 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zh2oson
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wonka i see what you did (resized).jpg
2018-03-01 13.58.15 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1465701768240 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170514-092129.png
5567093012563155901 (resized).jpg
shopping-1 (resized).jpg
peacock2 (resized).jpg
20180218_151337 (resized).jpg
skybin (7).JPG
000_1890 (resized).JPG
000_1888 (resized).JPG
000_1887 (resized).JPG
000_1886 (resized).JPG
000_1885 (resized).JPG
000_1884 (resized).JPG
000_1883 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 601 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Stencil the can and you will have a nice OC.

Won't be OC at that point. #CAPTAINOBVIOUSSTRIKESAGAIN

#253 6 years ago

As you wish

IMG_20180218_112153 (resized).jpgIMG_20180218_112153 (resized).jpg

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Where's the pizza?

IMG_20180218_113834 (resized).jpgIMG_20180218_113834 (resized).jpg

#256 6 years ago

One of the perks of traveling without the wife is that i can eat pizza two meals in a row.

#257 6 years ago

That pizza parlor needs some pins.

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

One of the perks of traveling without the wife is that i can eat pizza two meals in a row.

Jalapenos and meatballs?

#259 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Jalapenos and meatballs?

Alfredo, bacon, ham, sausage, meatball, and jalepeno. Quite good. Quite filling. I've slowed down dramatically and still have two pieces left =/

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Alfredo, bacon, ham, sausage, meatball, and jalepeno. Quite good. Quite filling. I've slowed down dramatically and still have two pieces left =/

We know who to blame for crop dusting today in the auction hall.

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

We know who to blame for crop dusting today in the auction hall.

Hey, if it will get rid of some of the competition, you gotta do what you gotta do

#262 6 years ago

They’re doing “buyer’s choice”. Ffffffffffffffff.

Five at a time. Highest bidder gets first choice and can optionally buy 1-4 more at same price.

Bidding then continues for the rest. Not a fan... but oh well.

#263 6 years ago

Best of luck to everyone. There seems to be something for everyone on the list.

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Five at a time. Highest bidder gets first choice and can optionally buy 1-4 more at same price.

Yeah, that does suck.

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Smart on their part, no reason not to burn the crowd, not likely to see most of them again. Glad I didn't waste my time. Good luck on getting what you want. Clearly no deals to be had, hope it was worth it for those who did go.

#266 6 years ago

Buyer's choice? What a joke.

So, what machines went first?

#267 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I second the "glad I didn't waste my time and fuel" - that has got to be the worst way to have to buy and will also likely slow things down a bit. It will be interesting to hear from you guys that made the trip - keep us posted! If my memory is correct you are two hours behind us here on the east coast?

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

... It will be interesting to hear from you guys that made the trip - keep us posted! If my memory is correct you are two hours behind us here on the east coast?

Central Time Zone is 1 hour behind Eastern Time Zone.

Marcus

#269 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Wait....what the Popaduik?

So you just bid on nothing, whoever agrees to buy 'nothing' gets to pick a game, then pick 1-4 more at same price without any further bidding? o_0

You would think that would have been critical information to tell people up front, because that's total hor#)%&*@!it

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Sounds like the auctioneer is a Lazy Ass and doesn't realize what he has. To him, each game is probably the same.

I realize that bidders might be shooting for different titles in the lot, but once the two prime pieces are spoken for, it will take him longer to sell the remains.

#271 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So you just bid on nothing, whoever agrees to buy 'nothing' gets to pick a game, then pick 1-4 more at same price without any further bidding? o_0

Not exactly how it works. Its a common auction move. Group 5 items, putting at least one 'premium' in the bundle. then you bid on the 'cost per item', so lets say you get to 500 and your the top bidder. You get first pick, at $500. You also get the option to buy all or more of the other 4 at the same price. If you decline, they present the other 4 as new auction items solo, and buyers bid on each of those.

Sometimes they let the 2nd bidder take next pick, depends on the AH.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

No idea how they are doing it. But I've seen auctions where they do this, then if nobody wants the other 4 ( or what is left of that lot ) they then auction them again.

LTG : )

#273 6 years ago

399609E2-59D1-489E-BF37-F0C70CB1D13B (resized).jpeg399609E2-59D1-489E-BF37-F0C70CB1D13B (resized).jpeg

#274 6 years ago

It works to inflate the price of lesser desirable games and feeds the worry of small time bidders of being out bid by big time buyers who can buy groups of pins.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from cjmiller:

Buyer's choice? What a joke.
So, what machines went first?

Starts at 2pm

#276 6 years ago

I got a friend bidding on a few for me. See what happens....

#277 6 years ago

Well, thanks for explaining. That sucks. Asked someone to keep an eye on one specific game. Odds of that seem to be about zero based on that process. Bummer. I don't get how in the crap they were going to handle remote bidding on ONE item via either method they explained if they're expecting people to consider a potential lot of five games!

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I don't get how in the crap they were going to handle remote bidding on ONE item via either method they explained if they're expecting people to consider a potential lot of five games!

Yeah, kinda pisses me off that I jumped through all of their hoops (scan the driver's license, fill out their form, give them a cc number, etc.) to register and send in a couple of bids without knowing they were planning this stunt.

Oh well, at least I didn't drive to Tulsa this morning.

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Well, thanks for explaining. That sucks. Asked someone to keep an eye on one specific game. Odds of that seem to be about zero based on that process. Bummer. I don't get how in the crap they were going to handle remote bidding on ONE item via either method they explained if they're expecting people to consider a potential lot of five games!

If you have an experienced crowd, most will take the premium item at the price it would have gone for before and the rest will go back out to auction individually. However if he's smart and grouped in 2 or 3 higher end items in there, too, it works to bring up their price into the same range as the premium. You might have a chance.

It can upset an inexperienced group quite a bit and make the auction move very very slowly.

#280 6 years ago

I have met some great people while going to auctions. I met one good friend at captains auction in Anaheim out here about five to -six years ago.

One time another friend bought a machine at the auction, I never did. It was a strange science. It went into my garage for about a year. I cleaned it up. All the kids loved it.

#281 6 years ago

Filling up!

0AEF75D2-0466-41E5-915D-7B5E595197B8 (resized).jpeg0AEF75D2-0466-41E5-915D-7B5E595197B8 (resized).jpeg

#282 6 years ago

It’ll be ok if he groups similar pins together, but if we see one premium woodrail with another premium 70’s or solid state... he’ll be pitting different bidders against one another for completely separate items.

Could be drama today... no idea. Big crowd!

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

It’ll be ok if he groups similar pins together, but if we see one premium woodrail with another premium 70’s or solid state... he’ll be pitting different bidders against one another for completely separate items.
Could be drama today... no idea. Big crowd!

lol...tell Shawn I said hi. Why am I not suprised he is there?

#284 6 years ago

Here we go

336612F1-7572-4EED-8FC1-32CD5E551B6B (resized).jpeg336612F1-7572-4EED-8FC1-32CD5E551B6B (resized).jpeg

#285 6 years ago

IF the game I want doesn't get snagged for me, I hope someone pays north of 1k for it so I won't feel bad.

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

IF the game I want doesn't get snagged for me, I hope someone pays north of 1k for it so I won't feel bad.

You want the Texan with the poop glass ?

#287 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Let us know which one, and if you got it or not. I know if I was there, there's one in particular I'd be after. Maybe five or six others, but one in particular.

#288 6 years ago

looks like lots of money burning a hole in them fellas pockets. I predict high prices

#289 6 years ago

Good luck all!

#290 6 years ago

I counted roughly 80 to 90 in that picture. I considered doing some remote bids but in the end, decided to sit this one out. The games I had interest in have been available in the last year so they will come around again. Plus, they likely will sell higher than I was willing to bid. Good luck to those there and will be interested to see the final amounts.

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Let us know which one, and if you got it or not. I know if I was there, there's one in particular I'd be after. Maybe five or six others, but one in particular.

I doubt it would be something that would generally be expected for me to want. It's a woodrail. =P

#292 6 years ago

The "lot of 5" type auction is common for identical items such as wholesale items being sold at auction.

Example - 10 packs of Haynes mens large t-shirts. Top bidder gets as many as they want at their winning bid price. They may have a big family and take them all, so the others bid in hopes they don't all go. In the case of identical stuff, the second highest bidder can get one or more of whats left at their price.

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The "lot of 5" type auction is common for identical items such as wholesale items being sold at auction

Yep. As a professional auction buyer for 20 years (yip, I was a YEEEEPPPP! guy!) that is pretty common... on “identical items” ... top bidder gets call on quantity.

What I’ve never seen before is non-identical items being grouped together.

Just goes to show ... to the average person, all pinballs look the same, so they are “the same”.

rd

#294 6 years ago

Just got word. It was Lightning Ball. It sold for 900 to a remote bidder. Almost 4x what I was interested in spending on a game with unknown completeness and cabinet condition....

Have at it, people. Enjoy your losses a few years down the road. That's literally higher than a Lightning Ball has sold for on ebay in the whole time Bostonpinball has been tracking sales. /facepalm

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Just got word. It was Lightning Ball. It sold for 900 to a remote bidder.
Have it it, people. Enjoy your losses a few years down the road. That's literally higher than a Lightning Ball has sold for on ebay in the whole time Bostonpinball has been tracking sales. /facepalm

Certainly high for the condition as really nice and I mean really nice would be $1200.

That one was a $600.

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Certainly high for the condition as really nice and I mean really nice would be $1200.
That one was a $600.

I'm not paying more than 300 for a 40+ year old game that I haven't seen in person. I've looked at enough EMs in person local to me to know that 97% of them will not fit within my standards of 'decay acceptability' lol.

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Just got word. It was Lightning Ball. It sold for 900 to a remote bidder. Almost 4x what I was interested in spending on a game with unknown completeness and cabinet condition....
Have at it, people. Enjoy your losses a few years down the road. That's literally higher than a Lightning Ball has sold for on ebay in the whole time Bostonpinball has been tracking sales. /facepalm

Wow. I recently saw an ad for a pretty decent "Lightning Ball" project for $475. Not a game I really like, so I let it pass.

#298 6 years ago

Well, I won something, no idea what, but they're already running a charge through on my credit card.

Looks like I'm off to Tulsa. Anyone down there heading towards Nebraska or Iowa with space please let me know and I'll cheerfully pay you to avoid that boring drive.

#299 6 years ago

Prices are nutty.

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Prices are nutty.

Is anyone keeping track of the auction action?

There are 601 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/massive-pinball-auction-in-tulsa-ok-021818-160-pins/page/6?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.