(Topic ID: 209345)

Massive Pinball Auction in Tulsa OK 02/18/18 (160 pins!)

By Damonator

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 601 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zh2oson
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wonka i see what you did (resized).jpg
2018-03-01 13.58.15 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1465701768240 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170514-092129.png
5567093012563155901 (resized).jpg
shopping-1 (resized).jpg
peacock2 (resized).jpg
20180218_151337 (resized).jpg
skybin (7).JPG
000_1890 (resized).JPG
000_1888 (resized).JPG
000_1887 (resized).JPG
000_1886 (resized).JPG
000_1885 (resized).JPG
000_1884 (resized).JPG
000_1883 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 601 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.
#201 6 years ago

I want the bingo machine. But alas, not going and wish this auction was closer. No woodrail Mermaid in there?
Anyone want to buy me the Bingo machine and bring it to Arcade Expo 4.0 in March?
My cash is legal tender!

#202 6 years ago

Last minute thoughts...

Please come and introduce yourself to me. I'm 6'4" and I'll be wearing this hat: IMG_0689 (resized).jpgIMG_0689 (resized).jpg
(I figure no one else will be wearing one like it)

I will have free bottled water in my car for Pinsiders. Hopefully I can get a good parking spot and just leave the hatch up.

There are lots of restaurants around the Fontana, but Hideaway Pizza is located in the Fontana and highly recommended.

The best jogging trail is next to Riverside drive - there are over 10 miles of jog/bike path along the river.

If you want to catch church beforehand, there's a great one a couple of miles away - LifeChurch (Sat 4/5:30pm and Sun 8:30/10am are the compatible times).

Lastly - if anyone coming wants to buy my super nice Black Spiderman, I'll lower the price to $7k for this weekend only. (yea, I know there was a cheaper one recently - but it had magnet/shooter lane wear...mine doesn't). Save on shipping!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/55804

Looking forward to the fun!

Damon

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I will have free bottled water in my car for Pinsiders.

If you had beer, I'd come. Sadly, water isn't worth the trip.

#204 6 years ago

I'm 4'6" and will be wearing my hat also, so look for me.

Funny_hat (resized).jpgFunny_hat (resized).jpg

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I'm 4'6" and will be wearing my hat also, so look for me.

Well aren't you a wee weenie!

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

If you had beer, I'd come. Sadly, water isn't worth the trip.

Yeah, that reminds me, i meant to ask whether there would be "refreshments" (free or otherwise) available at this auction?

That always makes them more fun, imo.

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Yeah, that reminds me, i meant to ask whether there would be "refreshments" (free or otherwise) available at this auction?

Never hurts to bring a cooler and red Solo cup.

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

No - Bryan's recommendation would be the best course. And fyi, our liquor stores are closed on Sunday, so plan accordingly.

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

No - Bryan's recommendation would be the best course. And fyi, our liquor stores are closed on Sunday, so plan accordingly.

Ok, will do.

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

On a road trip, I prefer to stop somewhere and get a large take out coffee along the way and use the cup later. If you've got a red Solo cup, people just know there's something in there that shouldn't be.

Just sayin....

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

On a road trip, I prefer to stop somewhere and get a large take out coffee along the way and use the cup later. If you've got a red Solo cup, people just know there's something in there that shouldn't be.
Just sayin....

You should check out those new-fangled "Yeti" cups. Maybe I'll bring you one for TPF...

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

You should check out those new-fangled "Yeti" cups. Maybe I'll bring you one for TPF...

They're pretty cool. Too big and bulky for my taste. I'd rather have people thinking I'm drinking coffee all day.

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Just sayin....

Crafty veteran move. Solo cups are for rookies

#214 6 years ago

I used go to an auto auction with a friend who was a dealer (car dealer). This particular auction was in a dry parish (county for the rest of the states). What was funny was the auction company always had coolers of ice cold beer in the bidding area, it was there for the bidders; prim/loosen you up for the bidding.

So Maybe the auction company will see this and put some cold refreshments out for you?

Good luck and happy bidding.

#215 6 years ago

I want to place a bid using option 1. I see the form to fill out and all about loading credit card with the auction company. Where do I tell them what pinball I want to place my bid on. And what if there is the same multiple machines. Does anyone know how to specify what bid where?

#216 6 years ago

I really want to go.
Not that I need anything.

Anyone from the DFW looking for a co-pilot?

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Last minute thoughts...
Please come and introduce yourself to me. I'm 6'4" and I'll be wearing this hat:
(I figure no one else will be wearing one like it)

Of course now that you have said that, a dozen people might show up with that hat....
I know I'm trying to find one Difficult to mimic the 6'4" aspect though

#218 6 years ago

I’ll be there. Thought about wearing a name tag so i can meet other pinsiders. It’d be nice to put a face to an avatar.

#219 6 years ago

I'm confident most bidders will experience this during the cram-pay-ola-fest that this auction has morphed into as of late.

http://i.imgur.com/SMjOgZQ.jpg

Real auctions that are not shilled or pumped up by amateurs don't have regulars that are drunk. This is not a hobby to them, they are in business and walk away after running folks up that are too drunk or emotional, or stupid.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from PinPilot:

The collector must have been the pinball-ad "first responder" for the Tulsa area for many, many years! Like someone else said, its a parade of low-end pins!

A true "LEP" man

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

I'm confident most bidders will experience this during the cram-pay-ola-fest that this auction has morphed into as of late.
http://i.imgur.com/SMjOgZQ.jpg
Real auctions that are not shilled or pumped up by amateurs don't have regulars that are drunk. This is not a hobby to them, they are in business and walk away after running folks up that are too drunk or emotional, or stupid.

You know, Hoss, from your very first post here you have been trying to crap all over the birthday cake. What is it to you? You are not attending.

I'm not sure what message you are trying to send with your choked chicken pic. It is an auction. Auction houses work for the seller. Auction houses advertise forthcoming auctions. You have no idea how this guy is going to run his auction. Will alcohol be served? Or not? You don't have a clue. I have no idea why you are dwelling on it.
+++++++++++++++++

From your post #120: " This 'collection' is actually a parts/project hoarders wet dream. Many games are in poor condition, looked like they were purchased from a regional or local operator and then effectively set up, played some more and left to age...

Well, so FKing what? What I am used to seeing on pinside are pics of some warehouse where the roof collapsed years ago and the pins are a bunch of stinky, moldy, planked play fields, flacked back glasses, and buckets of rust.

What I see here are a lot of nice play fields and nice back glasses. A lot of pins that will not take all that much to restore. Maybe some of these pins will leaves one hoarder's barn only to move to another. But some of these pins are going to go to good homes. So, what is wrong with that?
++++++++++++++++++++++++

From your post #147: " I have a feeling this auction is going south already with the 'we haven't done this before, we require this and that, and we have never done this with remote buyers before, etc.' That is not a good way to go about an auction like this, to try and do something where they have never done it before. All I have to say, won't be making it, and won't be bidding either. Feels like it has lots of potential for shilling and errors, and as a result not a real good auction...

You are doing a great job of Monday morning quarter backing. There are some questions raised with regards to the remote bidding, but for the most part your opinions are baseless. You are just making some wild assed assumptions.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You know, Hoss, from your very first post here you have been trying to crap all over the birthday cake. What is it to you? You are not attending.
I'm not sure what message you are trying to send with your choked chicken pic. It is an auction. Auction houses work for the seller. Auction houses advertise forthcoming auctions. You have no idea how this guy is going to run his auction. Will alcohol be served? Or not? You don't have a clue. I have no idea why you are dwelling on it.
+++++++++++++++++
From your post #120: " This 'collection' is actually a parts/project hoarders wet dream. Many games are in poor condition, looked like they were purchased from a regional or local operator and then effectively set up, played some more and left to age...
Well, so FKing what? What I am used to seeing on pinside are pics of some warehouse where the roof collapsed years ago and the pins are a bunch of stinky, moldy, planked play fields, flacked back glasses, and buckets of rust.
What I see here are a lot of nice play fields and nice back glasses. A lot of pins that will not take all that much to restore. Maybe some of these pins will leaves one hoarder's barn only to move to another. But some of these pins are going to go to good homes. So, what is wrong with that?
++++++++++++++++++++++++
From your post #147: " I have a feeling this auction is going south already with the 'we haven't done this before, we require this and that, and we have never done this with remote buyers before, etc.' That is not a good way to go about an auction like this, to try and do something where they have never done it before. All I have to say, won't be making it, and won't be bidding either. Feels like it has lots of potential for shilling and errors, and as a result not a real good auction...
You are doing a great job of Monday morning quarter backing. There are some questions raised with regards to the remote bidding, but for the most part your opinions are baseless. You are just making some wild assed assumptions.

Funny I was reading some of this stuff this morning and thinking the same thing. Sounds more like sour grapes than honest assessment to me. Personally I don't like some of what I am hearing about the way they attend to handle phone bids - etc. and I do think that is going to slow the auction down a good bit but since I will not be attending it really doesn't matter to me.

To me it sounds like the auctioneer is a great guy doing his best to get seller as much as possible and also work with out of state buyers the best way he knows how. Is it perfect - not by a long shot - but at least he is trying. My advice to people who can't make it that really want something would be to try to find someone heading to the auction that can bid for them. Not an easy task but there are a lot of great people here on Pinside so in my eyes that would be how I would approach things first.

Anyway - good luck to everyone that does attend. One thing I can say for sure is it will be an experience you will not soon forget. I know this from my experience with the Silverman collection final auction. That happened years ago and I still think about it often - what a rush to see that many machines being sold in one place on one day!

#223 6 years ago

Well said.

Now Craig, you interested in playing proxy for me on this thing? I was talking to Damonator about coming out, but have a trial starting Tuesday so I wasn't able to make it happen. I'm interested in:

GTB Spiderman
Devil's Dare
Bone Busters
Fan-Tas-Tic
Spit Fire
Spy Hunter
Big Show
Solids & Stripes
Sky Line
Strange Science
BLY Flicker
Old Chicago
Ice Show
Snow Derby

I'm sure there are several people listed in the titles I am. Man I wish I could have made it out there. Sadly, my feeling is that given the interest, most games I'm interested in are going to go for realistic or average prices anyway.

Hopefully some people that actually want the games will get them, and they all don't end up in the hands of flippers, only to be listed on CL or fleabay for inflated prices by next week.

#224 6 years ago

Someone on RGP mentioned that some games from the original list are now missing. Any truth to that, and if so, what games are missing?

#225 6 years ago

Colson, the last four on your list, I've been salivating over. I just had my third open heart surgery, so I won't be bidding, but good luck to you! From one PA guy to another.

#226 6 years ago

Damonator- please post some pics of tomorrows auction and please post results for those that cant attend so we can live it through those that do.

Quoted from DennisDodel:Someone on RGP mentioned that some games from the original list are now missing. Any truth to that, and if so, what games are missing?

Wondering how many side deals have been made this week? When i was there Wed he only let me buy a few......(Im kidding)

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Someone on RGP mentioned that some games from the original list are now missing. Any truth to that, and if so, what games are missing?

According to the "latest list" on the auctioneers web site there are 159 listed so if any went missing others were added. It is possible he decided not to list machines that were not complete or something on "final list" but it is highly unlikely "side deals" were made before the auction. Auctioneers typically wouldn't do that - they are smart enough to know if someone wants something that bad other people will likely want it just as bad or worse. And since they are paid based on selling price they want as much as possible out of each item.

Knowing from experience occasionally family will pull something from a auction they decided to keep for one reason or another but normally once a auctioneer list something for sale it is their at the sale.

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Colson, the last four on your list, I've been salivating over. I just had my third open heart surgery, so I won't be bidding, but good luck to you! From one PA guy to another.

Definitely. Glad the surgery seems to have went OK, and best of luck on the speedy recovery.

Would love to have been out in OK for this, but if it's on RGP too I'm sure there will be a boatload of people out in masses for the games. Contrary to what a few people have chimed in with here, a lot of the games seem to be in relatively great condition IMO.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely. Glad the surgery seems to have went OK, and best of luck on the speedy recovery.
Would love to have been out in OK for this, but if it's on RGP too I'm sure there will be a boatload of people out in masses for the games. Contrary to what a few people have chimed in with here, a lot of the games seem to be in relatively great condition IMO.

Colson,

I agree 100% - auction has been well advertised both here & on RGP as well as being posted on Mr Pinball and Auction Zip, etc. I doubt if much will go cheap. As far as condition of machines listed most look to be "better than average" so again this will bring in bidders that might have otherwise passed on this auction. I think seller & auctioneer are going to do quite well but I don't expect it to be a buyers sale.

It would be great if someone could post prices realized. Perhaps OP could even get a sold for price list from the auctioneer once sale is over. I don't see why auctioneer would mind doing that for OP with all the help he has been to get word out about this auction. I know there are a lot of us that would love to know hammer price on these machines!

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I do think that is going to slow the auction down a good bit but since I will not be attending it really doesn't matter to me.

I don't think it will slow down things at all. The auctioneer will get a request to play proxy for a remote bidder. He will assign one of his employees to proxy bid over the video feed. The guy on the phone might have to think a little bit but I have been to many auctions where the timeline gets stretched out while the last two bidders think it out a little bit before making their next bid.

Surely you have been to an auction where a couple of guys get into a pissing contest and the price is already up into "I just screwed myself for paying that much." territory. This kind of auction action might slow the bidding a little but we all enjoy the show.

It is not going to be fun to be bidding against a phone bidder who has a $50.00 "investment" to protect but I don't think confusion is going to reign.

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

The original list was provided to Jay before he was given possession of the games. Once he got the games, there was one game on the original list that wasn't there - Darling. But there was an additional game that wasn't listed - El Dorado.

There hasn't been any swaps or pre-selling to my knowledge.

And yes, I'll try and get the final prices once the auction is over.

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

My uncle mark likes those cups so much he gave me a pair for Christmas. As well as a few other things. He was like yeah you need a couple of those. Because I asked him about the cups.

My fiancée uses them all the time. She likes them for coffee on the go. The caps are snug. They are made well.

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The original list was provided to Jay before he was given possession of the games. Once he got the games, there was one game on the original list that wasn't there - Darling. But there was an additional game that wasn't listed - El Dorado.

Damonator, any idea how these machines are going to be auctioned? alphabetical order? by mfg date? or just down the line? By my calculations, this auction won't be over till 3 or 4 am

#234 6 years ago

I still say it would be well deserving if Damonator was able to get a pre-auction sale of a
game to his liking..
If by any chance the Bristol Hills winds up on the East Coast and then decided on
a different game, I'd be interested in trading. Percentage of that may not be high,
but lower percentages of various things have happened..

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

one game on the original list that wasn't there - Darling. But there was an additional game that wasn't listed - El Dorado.

Man, a Darling was replaced with an El Dorado. I don't think anybody would cry about that.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from LukeInOklahoma:

Damonator, any idea how these machines are going to be auctioned? alphabetical order? by mfg date? or just down the line? By my calculations, this auction won't be over till 3 or 4 am

Typically auctioneers sell items in the order they are lined up. So if there is a row of machines they will likely start at one end and work to the other end. Then move over to the next row and do the same thing. I doubt they will be jumping all over - that would just get too crazy.

As far as length of sale when Morphy's sold over 500 lots (400+ machines plus some parts lots) the auction lasted less than 5 hours. They were selling at a pretty insane pace that day even with phone bids & everything else going on. The crazy thing is they provided free pizza and sale kept going even while people were grabbing some pizza.

Typically most auctioneers average about 45 to 60 lots per hour so if this is a "normal" sale the actual auction should last about 3 hours.

As with most of the stuff I post I am talking from personal experience. When I was dealing in antiques & collectibles I attended an average of about 30 auctions a week for over 10 years and I never remember any auctioneer selling less than about 40 lots per hour or more than about 75 lots per hour except for the Sliverman auction. The pace at that auction was totally insane but with around 500 lots to sell they had to keep things moving. Plus Morphy's is a "well organized machine" with lots of experience with phone bidding - etc. I would expect the pace of this auction to be in the 45 to 60 lots per hour range - perhaps towards the slower end since they are doing something new with phone bidding.

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Typically auctioneers sell items in the order they are lined up. So if there is a row of machines they will likely start at one end and work to the other end. Then move over to the next row and do the same thing. I doubt they will be jumping all over - that would just get too crazy.
As far as length of sale when Morphy's sold over 500 lots (400+ machines plus some parts lots) the auction lasted less than 5 hours. They were selling at a pretty insane pace that day even with phone bids & everything else going on. The crazy thing is they provided free pizza and sale kept going even while people were grabbing some pizza.
Typically most auctioneers average about 45 to 60 lots per hour so if this is a "normal" sale the actual auction should last about 3 hours.
As with most of the stuff I post I am talking from personal experience. When I was dealing in antiques & collectibles I attended an average of about 30 auctions a week for over 10 years and I never remember any auctioneer selling less than about 40 lots per hour or more than about 75 lots per hour except for the Sliverman auction. The pace at that auction was totally insane but with around 500 lots to sell they had to keep things moving. Plus Morphy's is a "well organized machine" with lots of experience with phone bidding - etc. I would expect the pace of this auction to be in the 45 to 60 lots per hour range - perhaps towards the slower end since they are doing something new with phone bidding.

thats good to know. I was averaging 3 or 4 minutes per lot with a break or two in there. thanks for the info

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Thank you for the kind words. All is going well.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Thanks for all your hard work with this! Pinsiders owe you one for sure! It would be great if you can post prices. Thanks again!

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I still say it would be well deserving if Damonator was able to get a pre-auction sale of a
game to his liking..

Man - I like the way you think! I asked initially if that was even an option and he said no because it would look like favoritism to the family selling the games. They could argue that he would have gotten more at auction. That’s why I’m pretty confident there hasn’t been any pre-sales or game swaps.

The games are currently lined up in groups of similar ages.

As for pace - I asked about that too and he is shooting for 1 per minute pace but doesn’t expect to go over 1 per 2 minutes, so 3-6 hours total.

I will do my best to get prices and pics along the way!

#241 6 years ago

o_o I really...really...REALLY...wish I was going.

#242 6 years ago

Is there another auction for the rest of the guy's stuff? I mean, most pinball collectors also have some arcade, or vending, or signs, or something, and I'm guessing if this guy had this many pins he probably had some other interesting items.

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from cjmiller:

Is there another auction for the rest of the guy's stuff? I mean, most pinball collectors also have some arcade, or vending, or signs, or something, and I'm guessing if this guy had this many pins he probably had some other interesting items.

There’s an auction running today with model trains and another tonight with colt pistols.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

There’s an auction running today with model trains and another tonight with colt pistols.

PM sent

#245 6 years ago

Someone going should live stream it - YouTube or Periscope would be ideal as no one would have to be Facebook friends.

#246 6 years ago

I wish all the bidders best of luck tomorrow.
It will be great reading on Monday all the posts from those lucky enough to have gone and participated and hopefully won!

#247 6 years ago

Wish all the bidders luck. Sounds like a fun day and wish I was there.

I'd be particularly interested in what the Williams 'Swing Time' goes for. My business partner says he remembers playing that game in VFW hall in Rockford, IL in the mid 60's

#248 6 years ago

Please post auction results. I almost drove from Michigan for this until I agreed with one of the above posts that it only takes one uneducated non-pinball storage wars watching “yuuuup!” A-holes to run up prices. Not worth the drive and risk for me I guess. Best of luck to all.

#249 6 years ago

Arrived early. Some pins on sidewalk while everything is being shuffled around.

Old Chicago is cherry back glass and play field. Stencil the can and you will have a nice OC.

Big Indian nice play field bubbly backglass

#250 6 years ago

Yeah, looks like there's a decent crowd waiting already. I'm up at the pizza place having a beer till noon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
Decorations
Tools
arcade-cabinets.com
Tools
There are 601 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/massive-pinball-auction-in-tulsa-ok-021818-160-pins/page/5?hl=jsf24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.