(Topic ID: 209345)

Massive Pinball Auction in Tulsa OK 02/18/18 (160 pins!)

By Damonator

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 601 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zh2oson
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wonka i see what you did (resized).jpg
2018-03-01 13.58.15 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1465701768240 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170514-092129.png
5567093012563155901 (resized).jpg
shopping-1 (resized).jpg
peacock2 (resized).jpg
20180218_151337 (resized).jpg
skybin (7).JPG
000_1890 (resized).JPG
000_1888 (resized).JPG
000_1887 (resized).JPG
000_1886 (resized).JPG
000_1885 (resized).JPG
000_1884 (resized).JPG
000_1883 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 601 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
#101 6 years ago

Here is a link to the auction's website. From the looks on the website, it looks like the pins are going to be plugged in and turned on.

http://www.bidloud.com/160_pinball_machines

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

A question for you guys that are fairly local. Are there enough "serious" buyers in the area to keep prices on most of these machines close to market value or do you see a good many of the more common (or more beat up) machines selling cheap? I know here in Central PA an auction that size would draw a big enough group of buyers that not much would sell cheap. What is your take on that area?

I'm aware of at least a dozen people I know personally (most from OKC and other points well west of Tulsa) that are planning on attending. My guess is that these guys alone will provide a lot of competition on the SS games and many of the newer EMs. I'm not sure about the woodrail EMs, but interest in EMs in general seems to be growing among the Oklahoma crowd thanks in part to more exposure at Cactus Jacks (especially during the Silverball Showdown) and the Enid leagues. The pre-war stuff will also probably have some competition. I have gone from zero EMs last year to 4 now. I will be trying to take home a few.

#103 6 years ago

What a line up sort of glad im too far away to tempted by this

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is a link to the auction's website. From the looks on the website, it looks like the pins are going to be plugged in and turned on.

No - they won’t all be plugged in and turned on at the same time. The person taking those pics had an extension cord and was plugging them in one at a time.

They had 2 extension cords when I was in there taking photos.

It might not be a bad idea to bring your own cord though during the preview period. However, I’m not sure what their policy is going to be. I’ll ask this weekend if I can get access again.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Well, if he died, he wasn't in great condition.
LTG : )

ouch lol

I need a proxy and someone to bring a game down here if it wins. =X

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I asked some questions. If I hear anything I'll add the reply to this post.
Website says preview starts two hours before auction at 12 noon, but
the auction time is listed as 1-5pm. Does preview start at 11 or noon?

Preview - will the heads be on the machines, plugged in and turned on
during the auction? If not, are you allowing buyers to assemble the
head and body, connect everything, and playtest the machines?

Removal - Can I pay for and remove the machines I buy before the
auction is finished or do I have to wait until everything is sold
before I can pay for and haul the machines away?

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I asked some questions. If I hear anything I'll add the reply to this post.
Website says preview starts two hours before auction at 12 noon, but
the auction time is listed as 1-5pm. Does preview start at 11 or noon?
Preview - will the heads be on the machines, plugged in and turned on

The auction time is still 2pm on the 18th.

What you are seeing on the website is an open house tomorrow the 11th from 1-5. This means anyone in the area can swing by and preview the games. I’ll be there tomorrow at some point to take some additional pics for out of state people. If anyone has a specific request, send me a PM.

Jay should be there, so I’ll ask the questions that you listed.

#108 6 years ago

For those who are planning on attending -

It would be nice to know the actual final bid prices. If anyone cares to keep some notes and post later, it would be appreciated for sure.

#109 6 years ago

Attached are a few games that I didn't get pics of initially. The Tucson and Melody are not on legs and head is not attached (and Melody has no backglass).

IMG_0674 (resized).JPGIMG_0674 (resized).JPG

IMG_0673 (resized).JPGIMG_0673 (resized).JPG

IMG_0685 (resized).JPGIMG_0685 (resized).JPG

IMG_0683 (resized).JPGIMG_0683 (resized).JPG

IMG_0684 (resized).JPGIMG_0684 (resized).JPG

IMG_0686 (resized).JPGIMG_0686 (resized).JPG

#110 6 years ago

Here are the answers from Jay:

Does preview start at 11 or noon?

noon

will the heads be on the machines, plugged in and turned on

They had a ton of extension cords there today so they plan to have them all on if possible. If the head and body are not already assembled, there is a reason (missing hardware or cabinet issues), so no - you will not be able to assemble something that is not already assembled. (There are only about 5 machines that have this issue). You will be able to playtest the machines and they have keys for *some* machines, but not all. So it might be possible that you are not able to look inside the coin door.

Yes, you can pay/haul away machines as long as you are not interfering with the live auction.

#111 6 years ago

Thanks Damon for all the time you have put into this for your fellow Pinsiders. You have gone way beyond all expectations and it is greatly appreciated.

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

Thanks Damon for all the time you have put into this for your fellow Pinsiders. You have gone way beyond all expectations and it is greatly appreciated.

I agree 100%

Doing what you have done has greatly helped the auctioneer / the family of the seller / and the pinball community. GREAT WORK!

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

I’m bummed out that I’ve been in the hobby for 20 years and never knew this guy existed (although maybe it explains why there are so few EMs around here!). I’m sure we could have had some great conversations.

Thanks for the kind words, looking forward to seeing everyone at the auction and maybe picking up a game (or 10).

#114 6 years ago

Damn......thats a EM collectors wet dream auction right there. That would be so fun to attend!

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

You will be able to playtest the machines and they have keys for *some* machines, but not all. So it might be possible that you are not able to look inside the coin door.

Can't generally add credits with no keys unless you want to pay to test it.

Damonator what is your impression of the facility as far as ease of access? Ample parking for trucks & trailers? If people start moving games out after they are sold is there space to get out without interfering with the rest of the auction? Steps required to get in or out? Dock required or available?

#116 6 years ago

damonator what is your impression of the facility as far as ease of access? Ample parking for trucks & trailers? If people start moving games out after they are sold is there space to get out without interfering with the rest of the auction? Steps required to get in or out? Dock required or available?

It’s going to be rough for load out and depending on numbers attending the auction it could be impossible before it’s over.

#117 6 years ago

damonator what is your impression of the facility as far as ease of access? Ample parking for trucks & trailers? If people start moving games out after they are sold is there space to get out without interfering with the rest of the auction? Steps required to get in or out? Dock required or available?

True - might be worth bringing a few quarters!

There is plenty of parking and spots for uhauls/trucks - no problems there.

Yes - the games are in rows and you should be able to get games out without interfering.

The main entrance is double doors, so no problem there. There is a long sidewalk that wraps around the building - I didn’t see a ramp near the front door, but I’m sure one exists somewhere along the sidewalk....otherwise one step. No dock required or available.

#118 6 years ago

What are some of the more desirable pins in this collection? Just curious, I'm not an EM guy so don't really know what I'm looking at.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

What are some of the more desirable pins in this collection? Just curious, I'm not an EM guy so don't really know what I'm looking at.

I've been getting a lot of questions about this. Luckily, not everyone has the same taste. Gottliebs will probably be the most popular... they usually are.

I shall reveal my opinions after the auction...

#120 6 years ago

This 'collection' is actually a parts/project hoarders wet dream. Many games are in poor condition, looked like they were purchased from a regional or local operator and then effectively set up, played some more and left to age. There are few 'great games' in this lot. Of the 161 or so I found 41 that were even of interest, and some of those were duplicate and triplicate. Good luck with the sale, I hope and expect these don't go for over market value, yet market value will be determined at impact of the gavel. Its a good thing I own most of these already. I will not be going, saving to have run up other auctions for those few left on my 'to get list'.

Ballyhoo Bally 1947
Barnacle Bill Gottlieb 1948
Big Indian Gottlieb 1974
Big League Chicago Coin
Bowling Queen Gottlieb 1964
Bristol Hills Gottlieb 1971
Buccaneer Gottlieb 1948
Central Park Gottlieb 1966
Central Park Gottlieb 1966
Crosstown Gottlieb 1966
Egghead Gottlieb 1961
Flipper Clown Gottlieb 1962
Flipper Parade Gottlieb 1961
Four Seasons Gottlieb 1968
Four Seasons Gottlieb 1968
High Hand Gottlieb 1973
Hot Line Williams 1966
Hot Shot Gottlieb 1973
Humpty Dumpty Gottlieb 1947
Ice Show Gottlieb 1966
King Pin Gottlieb 1973
Magic Town Williams 1967
Olympics Gottlieb 1962
Pioneer Gottlieb 1976
Pioneer Gottlieb 1976
Pioneer Gottlieb 1976
Pro Football Gottlieb 1973
Rack-a-Ball Gottlieb 1962
Sky Line Gottlieb 1965
Snow Derby Gottlieb 1971
Soccer Gottlieb 1975
Soccer Gottlieb 1975
Space Mission Williams 1976
Space Mission Williams 1976
Spiderman Gottlieb 1980
Super Soccer Gottlieb 1975
Super Soccer Gottlieb 1975
Surf Champ Gottlieb 1976
Sweet Hearts Gottlieb 1963
Triple Action Williams 1974

#121 6 years ago

Having never owned an EM but would love to, how hard are these to work on?

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

Initially daunting but nothing insurmountable. I find it very rewarding, though I am a beginner.

Take the plunge and join our local repair forum: https://www.facebook.com/groups/216329485442439/

We will figure 'em out together!

Shawn

#124 6 years ago

Uh thanks I guess, that scares me off almost! I'm mechanical, but I'm not sure I'm that mechanical!

#125 6 years ago

OKC Pinheads unite!

I have 5 EM's here. They're fun to work on; like other EM era stuff its all purely mechanical and very hands-on.

#126 6 years ago

Cool, didn't know there was FB group for that. I may head over there on Sunday and see what I can get reasonable. You guys stay home and don't jack up the bids LOL!

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I’m bummed out that I’ve been in the hobby for 20 years and never knew this guy existed (although maybe it explains why there are so few EMs around here!). I’m sure we could have had some great conversations.
Thanks for the kind words, looking forward to seeing everyone at the auction and maybe picking up a game (or 10).

I hope for all that you have done to promote the auction and for getting this word out to this community that the pin gods (and fellow pinsider's) will do you a solid and if there is a game you are after you get it (back down if you say that one is mine).

I have seen a lot of questions about the auction and from my past experience it really depends how the company runs it. You can’t pay for an item until the people taking payments have that info, so machine #123 was won by bidder 567 at $525 if they are doing this electronically you are in luck back end folks taking money have info. Some auctions will have someone check your paper work on the way out the door to make sure you took your item (paid for it) and not someone else's (some don't). If they are old school and a runner is taking the info back to the backend people taking your $$$ they may get 20 to 50 games into it before a runner takes the info to the back office folks to log in. Issue I have seen to can be only 1 or 2 people taking the money so for the ones buying multiple games and there to the end you can be standing in line to pay.

With all that said I would still go and have really been thinking about going. I love an auction and I love pinball. Just don't think it’s going to work out for me to make it.

I also find it interesting what people see here, some see bad (junk), some see games they have, some see games they have had or played in their youth, some see potential profit (flip's). Then some see in what it will look like when they are done with it, all cleaned up gone through and up and running.

Have fun and hope there are some good deals to be found.

#128 6 years ago

Quite a collection indeed. That Bally Strikes and Spares looks to be in awesome condition, practically no playfield wear and backglass looks good too. Wish I was closer...

#129 6 years ago

I would have parted with some cash for this auction. However the location puts it out of question. Too bad for New Englander's, but great opportunity for Mid Westerner's.

#130 6 years ago

Everyone be sure to post up any purchases you make

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I would have parted with some cash for this auction. However the location puts it out of question. Too bad for New Englander's, but great opportunity for Mid Westerner's.

Not sure if it's Midwest as I am 3-4 states over. Wish I would have saved more money. I can see loading up a BIG SIZED U-Haul on these.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Not sure if it's Midwest as I am 3-4 states over. Wish I would have saved more money. I can see loading up a BIG SIZED U-Haul on these.

Based upon attendance and condition and sheer quantity available under one roof, I doubt these will be sold at the usual Craigslist first responder prices. People going in hoping to scoop up a bunch for $200-$300 apiece will likely get a nice reality check.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Based upon attendance and condition and sheer quantity available under one roof, I doubt these will be sold at the usual Craigslist first responder prices. People going in hoping to scoop up a bunch for $200-$300 apiece will likely get a nice reality check.

I think there will be *some* deals to be found on the EMs due to the sheer number. The non-technical attendees won't touch a game that doesn't boot or has a rolling score motor or a stuck loud solenoid, etc.

It's funny how a lot of us would rather see it complete with a nice playfield/backglass and *NOT* actually flip.

#134 6 years ago

I can't find it, but somewhere on Pinside is a list of the results of the auction of the Silverman collection a few years ago. A lot of games went very cheap.

#135 6 years ago

Even if I don't buy anything, I'm looking forward to seeing y'all in person and meeting other EM fans!

#136 6 years ago

Saw add on Mr pinball classifieds today. Word us getting out.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I can't find it, but somewhere on Pinside is a list of the results of the auction of the Silverman collection a few years ago. A lot of games went very cheap.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/david-silverman-collection-at-auction#post-1475009

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Imo, those prices 4 years ago are about average or high. Especially when you add in the 26% in fees on top of the hammer prices listed.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

There were actually 3 auctions from the Sliverman Collection - the first two auctions things basically went for market value and those pins were mostly the "better" pins from the collection. Prices posted above were from one of the first two auction.

The CRAZY Silverman auction was the third one: close to 500 machines with 60 to 80% of them being in rough shape. Decent machines at that auction still brought decent money but the "junk" machines went very cheap. I don't remember exactly but I think over 100 machines sold for under $25 each and another 100+ sold for less the $50 each.

But you need to remember two things - first off there were 500 machines (not 160 like at this auction) and second that was the 3rd large pinball auction in just a few months here in Central PA. So most people wanting machines had plenty to chose from. Plus the auction with 475+ machines only had about 50 fairly nice to nice machines maybe another 50 to 100 were in decent condition and the rest were missing backglasses, had rough cabinets, bad playfields, etc.

Bottom line - I doubt this auction will be anything like the last Silverman auction. I expect there will be a few good deals but I think it is highly unlikely that there will be any (or many) "killer deals".

Another HUGE difference between this and the third Silverman auction is basically NONE of the machines at that last auction actually worked. It has been a few years but if my memory is correct maybe 20 or so working machines (if that).

If I was closer I would still love to attend but I just can't justify the drive. Good luck to all you guys that make the auction - it should be fun!

#140 6 years ago

Don't think I can, but I would love to be there. It will be a day to remember. As others have said, thanks for all the work you did to present this to us.

#141 6 years ago

A few there that I'd like to nab, but I'd love to be there even if I got nothing.

#142 6 years ago

Gosh
2460 miles round trip
37 hours round trip
<sigh>

It would be so awesome, so many old EM's with the animations in the head that I've only read about. Thanks for the pictures. Give them all good homes!

#143 6 years ago

I'll be there. Bidding for one other, meeting another and hoping to me new friends. Sadly my old friend and nemesis from years past, Pecatonica Ed will not be there. If you know of Pecatonica Ed let me know. As some say, it isn't the acquisition it is the hunt that's fun. P.S. None of Pecatonica Ed's machines plug into the wall.

#144 6 years ago

I would love to be there but got to work. But why not fly in if you live far away? I am sure there should be hotel, motel nearby and you could always rent a truck. There is 4 places to rent just on my drive home. U-Haul, Enterprise truck rental, Budget, Avis (more vans)

#145 6 years ago

From Jay the auctioneer on remote bidding policy:

"We have finally figured out a way for you to bid remotely. If you have spoken to Jay Litchfield, you know our dilemma. We have never done online bidding for any auction before. We have also never done an auction with 160 Pinball machines either.

Most of the online bidding platforms that we could use, want to charge a Buyer’s Premium. We are 100% AGAINIST Buyer’s Premiums. We DO NOT LIKE and DO NOT USE Buyer’s Premiums. Since we have not done online bidding before, we are not adapt at doing so.

Therefore, we have 2 options below to help Buyers bid on machines remotely.

In either option, Bidders must submit the following by email - contact info, Drivers License, credit card info (or CC info by phone)

Each Bidder will be required to sign a Remote Bidding Terms sheet and email back to Jay before the auction.

Here are the 2 Options:

Option 1 – Buyers can submit a price that they want to bid up to for a machine. We will have someone bid for you up to that point. No bidding fee charge to Buyers in this option. Our cashier will immediately charge your credit card the purchase price after you have won the high bid on your selected machine.

Option 2 - We will assign you a live bidding assistant that will call you before your selected machine comes up for bid. The assistant will stay on the phone with you and submit your bids while you watch on a closed Facebook Live Feed. For each pinball machine that the Buyer wants to bid on, they must submit $50 per machine. Buyers are reimbursed the $50 per machine if they purchase the machine or are the second high bidder on the machine we bid on for them. If not, we keep the $50 per machine. Only those Bidders who pay the bidding fee will be allowed to watch the Facebook Live Feed. Our cashier will immediately charge your credit card, the purchase price minus the $50, after you have won the high bid on your selected machine."

#146 6 years ago

Maybe they should consider selling access to the Facebook Live feed for people who simply want to watch the auction without participating in it. Say, five dollars gives you access. Something like that. They may discover that they're actually in the entertainment business!

#147 6 years ago

I have a feeling this auction is going south already with the 'we haven't done this before, we require this and that, and we have never done this with remote buyers before, etc.' That is not a good way to go about an auction like this, to try and do something where they have never done it before. All I have to say, won't be making it, and won't be bidding either. Feels like it has lots of potential for shilling and errors, and as a result not a real good auction.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

I have a feeling this auction is going south already with the 'we haven't done this before, we require this and that, and we have never done this with remote buyers before, etc.' That is not a good way to go about an auction like this, to try and do something where they have never done it before. All I have to say, won't be making it, and won't be bidding either. Feels like it has lots of potential for shilling and errors, and as a result not a real good auction.

He’s just being honest. I guarantee there won’t be any shilling or buybacks - the *last* thing Jay wants is to own a pinball machine at the end of the auction. He’d rather get $10 for it than be stuck with it.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

He’s just being honest. I guarantee there won’t be any shilling or buybacks - the *last* thing Jay wants is to own a pinball machine at the end of the auction. He’d rather get $10 for it than be stuck with it.

It sounds to me like he is trying to do his best to help as many remote bidders as possible when that isn't something he would typically be doing.

If I were making the trip I would be more concerned about the number of people that now know about the sale and that will be standing next to you bidding. A good thing for the sellers family & auctioneer but not so good for the buyers.

For anyone considering making the trip - I would not think twice about it if I was within a few hours driving distance. It should be fun regardless if you can buy anything or not. Rarely do you see over 100 machines for auction in one place! I expect it will be like any other "typical" auction with 25% of the stuff going well over what it should - 50% going at around average prices - and 25% being great deals. The question will be are any of the "great deals" machines you are interested in?

Wish I was closer!

#150 6 years ago

Whoo... better be pretty confident you’re going to win your machine via option 2. Otherwise if you don’t win it (or fall behind second place), you lose the $50.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

There are 601 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/massive-pinball-auction-in-tulsa-ok-021818-160-pins/page/3?hl=pinballrusch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.