(Topic ID: 303263)

Masking windows when applying Triple Thick to back glass?

By Yeastlord

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1119 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1118 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I've been reading posts and watching a few videos on sealing back glass. One thing that people seem to do differently is masking tinted windows. Some people use tape and mask them, others just spray the entire thing without a mask. I'm working on a Buck Rogers which has tinted windows. My back glass is in excellent shape and I want to preserve it as such. So - to mask or not to mask. What's your experience?

IMG_1118 (resized).jpegIMG_1118 (resized).jpegIMG_1119 (resized).jpegIMG_1119 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Don't triple thick it at all. It's not likely to degrade if you have it in a stable environment.

If you really wanted to though you cut out pieces of cardboard and weigh them down with something on the areas you want masked (in games without the tint you could use actual masking tape, but that would pull up your tint). Then spray, and remove when dry.

I really wouldn't do anything to that glass though, too risky. There have been incidences of TT pulling the ink off the glass, ruining it.

Put LED's in your head instead of the heat producing lamps to keep that source of temperature change away as well.

#3 2 years ago

If you BG is in good shape let it be. As long as the machine is in a stable environment, it will not degrade.

Alberto

#4 2 years ago

I've had the TT curl the ink off an NOS 40 year old glass that was in perfect condition, didn't do it everywhere but in quite a few spots, not a happy camper.

#5 2 years ago

I love the consistency. Thanks guys - I'm going to leave it be.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yeastlord:

I love the consistency. Thanks guys - I'm going to leave it be.

Ya....leave it be is the consensus these days. As long as it isnt pealing or cracking like crazy, it isnt worth it.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yeastlord:

My back glass is in excellent shape and I want to preserve it as such.

It's usually best to leave it alone in that case.

Sealing it is a last resort when the backglass is falling apart.

Keep the game at a stable temperature and humidity, install LEDs, and the backglass should be fine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/masking-windows-when-applying-triple-thick-to-back-glass?hl=yeastlord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.