image (resized).jpg
IMG_1312 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1315 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stumblor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 11 months ago

Absolute Banger. You know I'm in!

3 weeks later
#101 10 months ago

Integrated with the game you say?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#110 10 months ago

Just to flesh out that tease a bit..

(which sounds super gross now that I've said it)

The board above is a 'trigger and timer' board. It'll monitor the maser switch and the maser flasher independently, and when triggered, turn on the maser cannon and/or the maser 'arm' for a number of seconds. How many seconds is selectable by the little dinky twizzle knobs (tm).

Same sensors as used in Lollypops, all sitting behind opto-isolators so electrically separated and super secure. A simple little board to add some awesome game integration to an awesome mod. I've had the Maser Cannon mod in hand for the last week and as you'd expect, it's beautifully designed and thought out. Little diffusers covering the strip, super detailed cast pewter. Dry brushing on the tank. Some really nice touches.

These guys do great work and I'm super proud to be able to assist them with this build.

2 weeks later
#127 9 months ago

Waiting on me.. as usual! (Sorry team)

Needed a few design iterations to get things right on the board front, so that both lamps and switches can both trigger the different 12v strips in the mod. Received the latest one today and about to send it over to the boys for final sign off.

1 month later
#159 8 months ago

Usually, I only do pro bono work for the sweet sweet accolades, so its nice when it also results in a sweet sweet party pack!

For those that don't know, Fire & Bone is Jason's (one half of High End) other gig. Super stoked to be able to see all this quality work up close. Big ups guys, you're smashing it.

1 month later
#176 7 months ago
Quoted from MasterOnion5:

That looks amazing! Is it interactive with any lights? My oversized plastic maser cannon is.

Interactive with the maser switch and the maser flasher. Each will turn on one part of the Maser Canon lighting (blue or red) for a number of seconds, which is selectable on the board. Can your oversized plastic maser cannon do dat?

1 week later
#203 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Cruiser:

UFO Kit, Noodle Bar, Tokyo Neon, Maser and Stumblor's new Subway building (back left corner) That's 5 right there.

You can always split further using the cheaper splitters to add more outputs, and will more than likely still be under 5 amps (you can test by connecting an $3 Ali express amp meter to the splitter+ if you want to go full nerd). Otherwise a second splitter+ can always be added in series if you want to double it up.

Godzilla must be the most modded machine of all time.

#206 6 months ago
Quoted from jellikit:

And please accept your responsibility in this matter.

Gotta admit I feel partly responsible.

1 week later
#210 6 months ago
Quoted from Nicoli125:

So I'm rather new to modding pinball. And I'm currently waiting on my noodle sign, UFO, and atomic Godzilla. What the heck is a splitter plus? Is that just a 5 way splitter? And where do I purchase this 5 way if that's the case. Any links would be much appreciated. Cheers! Loving my GZ prem

Okay - crash course in Stern mod powering!

There's generally 4 ways to power mods on a modern Stern game.

1 - Take power directly from a GI bulb. This is 5V, not many amps, and reliant on the voltage regulator on the node board (and the game dimming). This is most often used for mods that aren't too power hungry and want a simple installation and wire routing.

2 - Take power from the backbox, power distribution board, CN6. This is 12v, and has a 2A max rating. Generally used for toppers, speaker lights, than sort of thing.

3 - Take power from the cabinet node board, CN11 (ticket dispenser). This is 12v, 3A max rating. CN11 tends to be where most mods are powered from these days, simply due to it having the biggest amp rating.

There's only one CN11 header, so if you want multiple mods powered from that source, you need a non-active splitter, such as the el cheapo one we offer here:

https://stumblorpinball.com/products/splitter

While fine for most situations, using CN11 means you're still reliant on the node boards for power, which some people are rightly uncomfortable with, since the node boards are an expensive replacement if anything goes wrong. Additionally, we've also noticed that in certain situations, shakers can cause EMF voltage spikes on this line, which further complicates using it. Which is why the best solution is now...

4 - Generate a new, isolated 12v power source, using the 48v line. Pinball Life were the first (I think) to offer a solution for this which is here:

https://www.pinballlife.com/accessory-power-supply-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-machines-cabinet-mounting.html

We also offer a similar product, called the Splitter+, which has more CN11 style outputs and a higher amp rating (5A, instead of 3A).

https://stumblorpinball.com/products/splitterplus

The Splitter+ is what Strummy is offering in conjunction with the maser cannon mod.

Hope that helps!

#212 6 months ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

stumblor - Thanks for that fine explanation. I have several mods that I have bought from both of you. I also have both #3 and #4 option boards and did not know what the difference was. I installed #3 because it came first with Atomic Godzilla and then put up the right-hand sign today. And found the #4 board in the box. Not going for a rumbling, tumbling, drop the screws out shaker.

You're fine to remain as is - and can always use the Splitter+ in another game, if you wanted to. Or, if you decide you're going to add in some more mods to Godzilla, you can always swap out the original splitter with the Splitter+ in order to give yourself some more breathing room.

2 weeks later
#227 6 months ago
Quoted from SiN13:

Looking for some technical support here either from Strummy or stumblor , I installed this mod tonight and I'm running into an issue with the maser flasher. Once this was installed my maser flasher stopped working. Got out the multi meter and started testing. Getting voltage from the LED driver PCB off pins 1 and 3. Disconnected the molex connector to the flasher and tested there and I get no voltage. So that had me thinking it had something to do with the T tap connector. Removed it and the flasher started working again. Put it back on and as soon as I squeeze down on it it stops working. Removed the JST connector end of the T tap from the maser board and the flasher starts working again. Something about it being split and connected to the maser board is causing it to stop working. I can also very faintly hear this rapid electrical beeping noise when it is not working. Another test point, if I switch the T taps plugged into LAMP and SWITCH and then go into a switch test, the maser target switch fails to trigger. This now leads me to thinking the T taps are fine but there is something wrong with the LAMP connector on the maser PCB. Whatever item gets plugged in there stops working.

Hey mate - feel from to PM me to debug, and if you could please send me a picture of that flasher t-tap. Sounds like either a polarity issue with the t-tap, or a defective board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Electronics
GMods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,980 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stumblor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maser-canon-high-end-mods?tu=stumblor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.