pasted_image (resized).png
20240110_144624 (resized).jpg
20240110_144119 (resized).jpg
20240110_143948 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 6.35.41 PM.png
20230925_145614 (resized).jpg
20230925_145424 (resized).jpg
20230924_173102.jpg
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Lighting Guide.pdf (PDF preview)
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 1.45.17 PM.png
IMG_8888-1.jpeg
20230525_195333.jpg
There are 966 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 20.
#301 6 years ago

I stuck the eyes plastic between the inside of the left wall of the left ramp return and the flasher. Near the left inlane, just attached it to the same post used to support the lower portion of the ramp. This looks really good, like Frankenstein is glancing menacingly towards the player. I think it's the original intended place for the plastic to be. Just wedge the plastic behind the flasher dome nuts to allow it to flex to contour the ramp curve.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#302 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I stuck the eyes plastic between the inside of the left wall of the left ramp return and the flasher. Near the left inlane, just attached it to the same post used the attack the lower portion of the ramp.

any pics???

#303 6 years ago

Cmon someone must be parting this monster out, still looking for a DMD speaker grill plastic......

#304 6 years ago

Crash where do you get the eyes? Looks good.

#305 6 years ago

It's factory.

#306 6 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

crash where do you get the eyes? Looks good.

Quoted from Crash:

It's factory.

Yeah, I would imagine because it came in the goody bag, most of them were lost or discarded by operators. I've seen several MSF's over the years that didn't have it.

#307 6 years ago

That's odd, maybe that suggests it was an optional playfield add-on rather than an intended factory installed part. I wonder if the manual mentions this at all?

#308 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That's odd, maybe that suggests it was an optional playfield add-on rather than an intended factory installed part. I wonder if the manual mentions this at all?

I flipped through where I thought it would be and didn't see anything.

IMG_3616 (resized).JPGIMG_3616 (resized).JPG

IMG_3617 (resized).JPGIMG_3617 (resized).JPG

IMG_3618 (resized).JPGIMG_3618 (resized).JPG

IMG_3619 (resized).JPGIMG_3619 (resized).JPG

#309 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It's factory.

I will check my pin tomorrow and see if there is one in my coin box. There are several plastics in there, I THINK!

Mike

#310 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I flipped through where I thought it would be and didn't see anything.

The plastic was used for keeping the airballs from getting stuck under the ramp.
Sometimes miscellaneous parts are not documented.

#311 6 years ago

Is that written somewhere from Sega? I believe you, just curious.

#312 6 years ago

Crash, I was following your guidance years ago on a dmd extender from Dr. Pinball. I did it in my MSF, haven’t had any issues,& still think it looks better than color dmd. Complicated, yes, but, worth it.Thanks.

#313 6 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Crash, I was following your guidance years ago on a dmd extender from Dr. Pinball. I did it in my MSF, haven’t had any issues,& still think it looks better than color dmd. Complicated, yes, but, worth it.Thanks.

It's always good to hear success stories, thank you! It was a fun adventure for me, now that we have real color LED panels with PinballSP and ColorDMD I've stopped updating the parts links in those threads. The information is out there and parts are still available if people is are willing to do a few more minutes of research.

#314 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It's always good to hear success stories, thank you! It was a fun adventure for me, now that we have real color LED panels with PinballSP and ColorDMD I've stopped updating the parts links in those threads. The information is out there and parts are still available if people is are willing to do a few more minutes of research.

Neither color dmd or pinballsp have a WORKING led panel for Frankenstein. The only available solution apart from smartdmd (great kit!!!) is still Pin2dmd-xl.

Once Baywatch and Batman Forever are finished I start coloring Frankenstein. First few pictures are very promising but these have a loooot of different animations and stuff to do.

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Neither color dmd or pinballsp have a WORKING led panel for Frankenstein. The only available solution apart from smartdmd (great kit!!!) is still Pin2dmd-xl.
Once Baywatch and Batman Forever are finished I start coloring Frankenstein. First few pictures are very promising but these have a loooot of different animations and stuff to do.

LAMO - then I have no idea what I installed from PinballSP in my Frank back in Sept, but it's an LED panel...and it's been WORKING ever since and in a COMMERCIAL environment (meaning it's at an arcade and ON for hours everyday)....give it break guys...jeez...

#316 6 years ago

What about the last line bug? Is it fixed?

#317 6 years ago

Stop it Dom. Needless to discuss this with the only two owners of that display. Of course it is not fixed, otherwise it would have already been publicly announced multiple times. Now I understand why Sonic does not care wether it is fully working or not. Commercial pinball operators don´t care about such things.

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

What about the last line bug? Is it fixed?

Yep...just tried the firmware tonight.....so.....this the point I say.....vergiss es

(and sure I'll upload some pics because you don't believe it.....)

#319 6 years ago

just some quick pics...had to get running....just some random colors I chose after the update.....

Resized_20171212_2020081 (resized).jpgResized_20171212_2020081 (resized).jpg

Resized_20171212_2021091 (resized).jpgResized_20171212_2021091 (resized).jpg

#320 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

just some quick pics...had to get running....just some random colors I chose after the update.....

Great pictures! I'm really impressed by how Luis aligns the display panels so carefully, I can't tell from these up close photos where the seams between the 3 panels are. He has excellent attention to detail and that's what counts in a small hobby like this one.

#321 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Stop it Dom. Needless to discuss this with the only two owners of that display. Of course it is not fixed, otherwise it would have already been publicly announced multiple times. Now I understand why Sonic does not care wether it is fully working or not. Commercial pinball operators don´t care about such things.

You guys are such trolls....its shocking really....all to peddle your half-baked product...nope, I'm not an operator - I'm a hobbyist that lent my Frankenstein to a charity you moron's.....it's at an arcade whose proceeds go to Rupert's Kids....Rupert was a winner on the TV show "Survivor" a few years back and created a foundation to help troubled kids, one avenue for revenue is this arcade......https://www.facebook.com/rupertskidsarcade/ ....Frank is a hit there...all due to Luis' amazing product....(not PIN 2 DMD's)

#322 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

.....it's at an arcade whose proceeds go to Rupert's Kids....Rupert was a winner on the TV show "Survivor" a few years back and created a foundation to help troubled kids, one avenue for revenue is this arcade......https://www.facebook.com/rupertskidsarcade/ ....Frank is a hit there

Sorry that my guess was wrong, but I just could not explain how somebody could live with such a stupid bug in a commercial product and you wrote it yourself that your Frank is commercially used. I´m glad for you, that at least this bug is fixed after more than 3 months now, but the list of unfulfilled promises is still long. If you don´t care wether they become reality some day or not, you will most likely be o.k. with your product choice if it doesn't burn your power board. At least you now have the very basic functionalities.

#323 6 years ago

Ok guys, this is a Frankenstein owners club thread, not a "let's measure our dicksplay" thread. Intentional misspelling.

We've had enough of the back and forth about which display has bugs, which is better, which has more advanced software, blah blah blah. I have a Dr. Pinball DMD extender in my MSF, and it works great. Crapped out once before, and I reversed the ribbon cable. Fixed. Let's move on please, and talk about this underappreciated and underrated fantastical game, mechanical issues, questions, etc....what this thread is intended for. If you want to continue with this meaningless back and forth, please go create another thread. You're junking this one all up.

On an MSF note, a cool Pinsider came to pick up my MET last night, saw Frank and said he had never played one. Showed him the 6-ball multiball, and he seemed hooked. Lift, lift, lift, lift!!!

#324 6 years ago

Well said, I have a really nice MSF,too. I also read this thread for ideas & help.

2 weeks later
#325 6 years ago

The tilt isn't working on our MSF. I don't see which fuse the tilt circuit is on in the manual. Any ideas? I've checked all the fuses, maybe I'm missing one.

#326 6 years ago
Quoted from EastlakeMGM:

The tilt isn't working on our MSF. I don't see which fuse the tilt circuit is on in the manual. Any ideas? I've checked all the fuses, maybe I'm missing one.

Did you test it in the diagnostics?

#327 6 years ago

Sometimes this game kicks your ass. I couldn't even get good multiball until almost 7 minutes in. But when you do get it....

2 weeks later
#328 6 years ago

Here's a short video showing how easy it is to do a firmware update of PinballSP's x64. And it also (of sorts) show firmware v1. 85, palette cycling and the none existing "first row bug".

cheers
/mima

#329 6 years ago

I just heard back from Clive (http://www.coinopcauldron.com) today about my CPU and DMD Controller boards that I sent him last month. Hopefully in a week or so, I'll have my Frank up and running! Here's his email, FYI:

Hi Sue.

Your Frankenstein Display Controller and CPU boards have now been repaired, upgraded, fully tested and are now 100% functional.

Since the CPU board had less damage than normal, the repair price has been reduced from $125 to $60.

With damage to both boards, it's not possible to say if your Pin20DMD-XL is not also damaged as a result.

Your boards were running very old software (version 0.98) and have been upgraded to version 1.03 (the last version released)

Work performed (all new parts):

Sega 237-0139-00 192x64 DMD display controller (SN 120876. Frankenstein (version 0.98). Works only 20% of time. Shuts down when warm): Signals in, out and around board analyzed. 2x 32-pin ROM 0 & ROM 3 sockets replaced. NOS MC68000FN12 microprocessor. 2x NOS 27C040 version 1.03 Frankenstein display ROMs. J1 high temperature power input header. 22uf/50v/105c capacitor (C61). 100uf/25v/105c filter capacitor (C7). Reflowed header connector pins. Signals in, out and around board re-analyzed. Soak tested: $88.00

Sega 520-5003-04 CPU board (SN 117821. Frankenstein (version 0.98). 9B PIA output port damage. Capacitors leaking): Signals in, out and around board analyzed. NOS 68A21 PIA IC and 40-pin chip socket (9B). RAM removed and placed on external read/write testing. All transistors. diodes, SCRs and zeners curve-traced and tested. 47uf/25v/105c capacitor (C89). 470uf/25v/105c filter capacitor (C157) plus slight electrolytic corrosion removed. NOS 27C512 version 1.03 game ROM installed. Added 3AA remote battery pack system. Board cleaned up. Two-tier full functional testing: $60.00

Repairs: $148.00
Shipping: $19.00

#330 6 years ago
Quoted from crunchysue:

I just heard back from Clive (http://www.coinopcauldron.com) today about my CPU and DMD Controller boards that I sent him last month. Hopefully in a week or so, I'll have my Frank up and running! Here's his email, FYI:

Good to hear !

#331 6 years ago

Anyone interested in these battery adaptors for a single 1/2 AA lithium battery. Get rid of the Alcaline leakable batteries and just plug this adapter into your 3AA battery holder with a 1/2 AA lithium battery instead.

$10 a piece
$12 shipping (up to 5 adapter sets).

Cheers
/mima

DSC_0072.JPGDSC_0072.JPG

received_713568425508671.jpegreceived_713568425508671.jpeg

#332 6 years ago

Cool idea...but for about the same money you can get an NVRAM chip and in less time not worry about batteries ever again...that's what I did to my Frank...took about 30 seconds (the chip right under the ROM in your pic) ...

Added over 6 years ago: http://nvram.weebly.com/

#333 6 years ago

Would someone be kind enough to lift their playfield up and snap a photo of the flipper mechs,
something smells funny about the ones on my game.

cheers
/Mima

1 week later
#334 6 years ago

Hi MSF lovers, I have developed a replacement for the SEGA Monster Motion Board.

The TPP-1020 Monster Motion board is a part designed for use in the Sega Mary Shelley's Frankenstein pinball machine. It is a drop in replacement for SEGA #520-5113-00. This board manages the motion of the servomotor moving the monster’s head. This part has been re-engineered using modern components and is a compatible drop in replacement for the original.

Supports both the original Airtronics servomotors as well as JR and Futaba servos. Comes fully assembled; No soldering is required; No modifications are needed to your pinball machine.

As the ageing original boards are now failing fast, this re-engineered part can restore your machine to it's original glory with a fully animated monster: "Live again!"

Delivered with mounting spacers and installation instructions.

I am selling this from Australia on eBay, International shipping available and should be found on your local eBay site.

ebay.com link: SEGA Monster Motion Board Pinball Frankenstein Replaces 520 5113 00

#mary-shellys-frankenstein

157dd0d7e5a80b9062b850e89f13efa84134545e (resized).jpg157dd0d7e5a80b9062b850e89f13efa84134545e (resized).jpg

#335 6 years ago

The original board has 4 connections for the servos - this board two...what's the difference?

#336 6 years ago

The original board was more universal but only uses the single connector for the head servo.

#337 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The original board was more universal but only uses the single connector for the head servo.

That's right....haven't looked at the board in awhile....

#338 6 years ago

The original board has indeed got four connectors, but only uses one. It was as if they were going to use the board in other games... but never did.

The new board has two connectors to offer compatibility with the original Airtronix servo (J2) or the more common servo wiring of a Futaba / JR servo (J3).

#339 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

My! I don't know who you are, but you sure seem to know an awful lot about pinball machines, especially this one!!!

I reckon you must live in one!

1 week later
#340 6 years ago

Hi!

Working on a new sound design for my MSF machine these days. Bought the game a few weeks ago, and did not like the call outs, way too repetitive and sound quality is really not doing much to help the music...

So, installed my pinsound board and started working. I can tell you, the game is really starting to shine with the original soundtrack and movie quotes!

Will post here as soon as I have most of it ready.

#341 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

So no, not just two. Starting at the bottom of the playfield, there is the hex extender on the left slingshot, another longer hex extender behind the green pop bumper, the "eyes plastic" at the top of the green pop bumper, and two support brackets on the top of the playfield under the display.
The eyes plastic supports a good portion of the ramp above the pops.

where is the one behind the green pop bumper at? not the eyes plastic, but another mount?

#342 6 years ago

Work in progress.. I`m sorry about the crappy sound, will post a high quality video when finnished

#343 6 years ago

ok after contacting 4 people I finally figured out where my ramp needed to be secured at to stable it up. turns out there is a 1 3/4 inch hex post right behind frankies hand that supports the ramp. damn, I'm glad that's over!

#344 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

ok after contacting 4 people I finally figured out where my ramp needed to be secured at to stable it up. turns out there is a 1 3/4 inch hex post right behind frankies hand that supports the ramp. damn, I'm glad that's over!

Hi ccbiggsoo7,

could you please provide some picture from the hex post you mention?

Was just wondering the same when rebuilding Franky: the lower plastic ramp (=the biggest one) on my game is a bit wobbly and only supported by 2 scresw at the entry flap-followed by the "eyes" plastic-the long post behind the green bumper and finally at the post at the left slingshot.
Seems there should be some additional support at the back of the ramp ?

#345 6 years ago

Hi!

Been working on my Frankenstein pinsound mix. Man, this is time consuming, we are talking days and days of work! Replaced most of the sound effects, quotes, voices and music with the originals from the movie. Robert De Niro is now the main monster scream source! And that ramp shot sound a lot better now, with the chains pulling him up (like on the ramp entry artwork) and not the same sample every time.

Now, the sega/data east games really lack the ammount of soundtriggers that for instance my williams BSD has, so therefore I had to figure out how to implement more sounds and call outs, and background efffects.

Like in the STONING mode, there is now an angry mob taunting and screaming at the monster during the mode.

And in LYNCH JUSTINE mode you can hear the angry mob, original music and Justine screaming for her life.

NORTH POLE mode has wind and footsteps in the snow.

HIGH VOLTAGE mode has som "hurry up" voice fx, and yells at you to shoot the ramp.

The flipper lanes now have a more "fire fx" to them, since the artwork kind of asks for it, having Elisabeth in flames...

And we have more Elisabeth voicecalls now, even the Monster calling her.

Changing mode now has a much more distinct sound, making it a more obvious MODE CHANGE

The monster now screams before throwing the ball at you (with throw FX)

And so on... Did not manage to get the new ball saver sound and Geneva voice fx in the video...

Things like this makes the game much more involving, and to me ads a lot.

My goal is to give the game a movie like feel, and to have the sound drag you into the gameplay with really dynamic and suitable efffects and music.

Some gameplay at the start of the video, and later on I have cheated my way to show you some of the different modes.

#346 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

Been working on my Frankenstein pinsound mix.

Holy cow, this is huge improvement over the stock soundtrack and call-outs! I can see why it's been so time consuming. I have a few questions...

Do the new call-outs also work with the Edgar Winter music, or will you have to duplicate your work?

What did you replace the stock speakers with? It sounds great!

And finally, are you willing to share your work once you're finished (please say yes)?

#347 6 years ago
Quoted from beeker3000:

Holy cow, this is huge improvement over the stock soundtrack and call-outs! I can see why it's been so time consuming. I have a few questions...
Do the new call-outs also work with the Edgar Winter music, or will you have to duplicate your work?
What did you replace the stock speakers with? It sounds great!
And finally, are you willing to share your work once you're finished (please say yes)?

Thank you!

A lot of sounds did not make it onto the video I`m afraid, but you get the idea

The sound on the video is a mix of a line out recording from the pinsound board and the microphone in my phone, BUT, I did replace the stock speakers (total garbage by the way) with some good quality car stereo speakers. They where not expencive at all, and a huge upgrade in sound. And I replaced the cabinet speaker with a 10" subwoofer. It really gives a fantastic impact on the sound experience.

I actually replacd the Edgar Winter music with the movie soundtrack, but you can use whatever music you want, the sound effects and callout are the same

Yes, I will upload to the pinsound community as soon as I am completely done with the mix. Trying to make new jackpot sounds, but my throat is getting soar from all the yelling, hahah, had to take a break...

If you are interested PM me, and I can share the work in progress mix with you.

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from harig:

Hi ccbiggsoo7,
could you please provide some picture from the hex post you mention?
Was just wondering the same when rebuilding Franky: the lower plastic ramp (=the biggest one) on my game is a bit wobbly and only supported by 2 scresw at the entry flap-followed by the "eyes" plastic-the long post behind the green bumper and finally at the post at the left slingshot.
Seems there should be some additional support at the back of the ramp ?

well I tried the 1 3/4 inch hex that guy had in his game, it raised my ramp up to high, so I guess i'll try 1 1/2 or 1 1/4.

#349 6 years ago

Anybody else have this hex post here?? Whats the length of it?

52FE377C-AE05-4123-8DD2-D61081E3F282 (resized).jpeg52FE377C-AE05-4123-8DD2-D61081E3F282 (resized).jpeg

FAACD567-6C7D-4D0C-A67B-BBFE218E3654 (resized).jpegFAACD567-6C7D-4D0C-A67B-BBFE218E3654 (resized).jpeg

08D6AB10-4263-4CDD-AEDD-52AE8233B6C4 (resized).jpeg08D6AB10-4263-4CDD-AEDD-52AE8233B6C4 (resized).jpeg

#350 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

I actually replacd the Edgar Winter music with the movie soundtrack

So do you lose the ability to select a different soundtrack at the start of the game?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 36.95
$ 27.95
$ 259.00
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 966 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mary-shelleys-frankenstein-owners-club-ideas-and-info/page/7?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.