View topic image gallery

20240110_144624 (resized).jpg
20240110_144119 (resized).jpg
20240110_143948 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 6.35.41 PM.png
20230925_145614 (resized).jpg
20230925_145424 (resized).jpg
20230924_173102.jpg
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Lighting Guide.pdf (PDF preview)
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 1.45.17 PM.png
IMG_8888-1.jpeg
20230525_195333.jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
After (resized).jpg
Before (resized).jpg
CreatureThrow (resized).jpg
DamagedMylar-Fixed (resized).jpg

There are 946 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 19.
#701 3 years ago

Out of the club, awesome game that I really hope to own again someday.
Shame I only have 1 spot for switching games, all the rest are keepers

20201211_164252 (resized).jpg20201211_164252 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#702 3 years ago

Aloha all,

This is my first Pinside post, as I finally FINALLY was able to get my first machine: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. After playing it for awhile, I could tell something wasn't right with the DMD, so I did a diagnostic test and the DMD hardware is working properly, however I'm having some serious software issues. Here's what's going on:

Stepping through the Audits and Adjustments, occasionally the DMD will get stuck on #xx, even though I can hear the sound of it stepping through. Other times, A&A #s are out of sequence and just jump all over the place while scrolling through. Naturally, this makes setting up the game a lot harder than it should be. I've done a factory reset on the machine, and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Nextly, during attract mode, mode animations will just come up randomly between the high score lists, etc. Also, messages like "Your game has been continued, Get Ready!" despite not triggering a replay, or matching. Occasionally, when the CPU version pops up, there are garbled characters where numbers or letters should be.

Lastly, during game play, the game will randomly switch between Players 1, 3 & 4, so when you think you've drained your last ball, you're still playing - as a different player.

I've unplugged and plugged back in all of the connectors on the DMD, and it seemed like maybe it resulted in minor changes in the performance, but I'm suspecting that maybe these problems are being caused by a faulty processor/microchip. I'll just tell you right now: I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm giving it my best guess. Isn't that how this whole pinball ownership process unfolds?

All the hardware on the machine is working and in top shape, but having this DMD issue is really spoiling my very hard-earned enjoyment. Any help and and advice would be DEEPLY appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Regards,

zhu

#msf #maryshelleysfrankenstein #frankenstein

#703 3 years ago

I would reseat the ribbon cable one the cpu side also. And I could be a faulty ribbon too

#704 3 years ago

Thank you. I'll try it and see what happens.

#705 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Update on my left flipper issue:
As I took the coilstop off to switch the coils, I noticed that the actual stop came off..
These coilstops were placed (new) a month ago [quoted image]

Quality at it's best! It is a hit and miss part. I had the same thing happened also.

#706 3 years ago

Back in the club...and got my old Frank back from the guy I traded it to 2 years ago!! Was craving this game again, and this is such a nice example.

7C00D106-9038-466A-8CFC-34A58CD889C3 (resized).jpeg7C00D106-9038-466A-8CFC-34A58CD889C3 (resized).jpeg899B1E4D-A69A-4380-B9AA-50535906481F (resized).jpeg899B1E4D-A69A-4380-B9AA-50535906481F (resized).jpeg
#707 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

installed the newest pinstadium today in our new Frankenstein. The fusion neo. This new version has a diffuser over the main LED strip used for the GI's. It keeps you from seeing the individual glare on the playfield of each LED in the strip. With the diffuser, it's a glow not a pointed light reflected back at you.
It's around $500 & it is absolutely amazing. They just had a $75 off sale... that I missed. Whoops! You could wait for the next sale or just buy em. IMHO, they're worth the $500. Even better if you could buy them on sale for $425 though!

I am not a big fan of Pinstadiums, especially with a $400 or $500 price tag. They seem to only light the outer edges on this game, and do nothing for the center of the PF. Plus I don’t like seeing their light strips running up the sides of the game or reflecting off other parts.

Mine is lit awesomely with mirror blades, a cool white LED trough strip and 4 added spots on the lower PF. And I think that was about $140.

So glad to have this game back.
5D7B8931-1CE7-4A33-AD6F-25D15B47EC82 (resized).jpeg5D7B8931-1CE7-4A33-AD6F-25D15B47EC82 (resized).jpegDFEFE798-0B72-47B2-AD35-25C37F50BD8A (resized).jpegDFEFE798-0B72-47B2-AD35-25C37F50BD8A (resized).jpeg33C43ED1-1B30-4CEC-82C9-CFE35CA0BB35 (resized).jpeg33C43ED1-1B30-4CEC-82C9-CFE35CA0BB35 (resized).jpeg355EF15C-5D0D-4804-BAD1-5F3D427654A0 (resized).jpeg355EF15C-5D0D-4804-BAD1-5F3D427654A0 (resized).jpeg

#708 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I am not a big fan of Pinstadiums, especially with a $400 or $500 price tag. They seem to only light the outer edges on this game, and do nothing for the center of the PF. Plus I don’t like seeing their light strips running up the sides of the game or reflecting off other parts.
Mine is lit awesomely with mirror blades, a cool white LED trough strip and 4 added spots on the lower PF. And I think that was about $140.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I got mirror blades, too. My Mylar started coming up, had to remove it, what a job, but, like you, a favorite game. I sprayed it with spray max, good stuff. Yellow posts, orange Titan, Pinsound, color x- led, your added spots are a great idea, that is next.

#709 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

where did you get the mirror blades from

#710 3 years ago
Quoted from upsfeedr:

where did you get the mirror blades from

Pinball Decals, Sega specific.

1 week later
#711 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Pinball Decals

thanks

#712 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Pinball Decals, Sega specific.

What he said. WPC and Stern mirrors are a little thicker, so you could possibly scratch them when you are lifting and putting down the playfield.

1 month later
#714 3 years ago

Just got this machine and have had a couple of issues. When the machine turns on, it says “FRANKENST-“ and cuts off. Also the ball often gets stuck on the left side of the Geneva scoop against the metal cover and the side of the Playfield. Anyone else have these problems, or know what to do?

#715 3 years ago

The cut off sound when powering up the game is normal behavior for data east)Sega games.
Maybe post a picture of where the ball is getting stuck, so we can check it out

#716 3 years ago
Quoted from FrostbittenCow:the ball often gets stuck on the left side of the Geneva scoop against the metal cover and the side of the Playfield.

If you're talking about the cliffy protector for Geneva I ended up taking mine off because of this.

#717 3 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

If you're talking about the cliffy protector for Geneva I ended up taking mine off because of this.

Yeah, mine gets held up there once in a while. On the edge of the Cliffy and up against the rubber. You can stretch the rubber out on the left and it frees it up for a while.

It’s odd though, because my last Frank had a Cliffy too, and never got held up there.

3 months later
#718 2 years ago

I am now noticing an issue where when I hit the left orbit 2 times in a row in quick succession, the game will give me 300M-ish points for no reason with no indicator on the DMD. Is this a known issue? Any suggestions to fix it?

#719 2 years ago
Quoted from FrostbittenCow:

I am now noticing an issue where when I hit the left orbit 2 times in a row in quick succession, the game will give me 300M-ish points for no reason with no indicator on the DMD. Is this a known issue? Any suggestions to fix it?

I hope my machine develops this issue.

Have you tried manually testing the rollover switches? Hmm, probably not the cause... Perhaps a ROM issue?

#720 2 years ago
Quoted from zhu808:

I hope my machine develops this issue.
Have you tried manually testing the rollover switches? Hmm, probably not the cause... Perhaps a ROM issue?

Can you buy new ROMs?

#721 2 years ago

Can you buy new ROMs?

Yes, new ROMs are available. I actually have an extra set that I bought because I thought they were causing my display issues (they weren't). What I've been told is that ROMs rarely go bad and that the issue is probably something else. For this particular problem though, I mean... I don't know what else would cause inflated scoring other than a stuck switch.

#722 2 years ago
Quoted from zhu808:

Yes, new ROMs are available. I actually have an extra set that I bought because I thought they were causing my display issues (they weren't). What I've been told is that ROMs rarely go bad and that the issue is probably something else. For this particular problem though, I mean... I don't know what else would cause inflated scoring other than a stuck switch.

Yeah, I doubt it’s the switch because it only happens in you shoot the orbit twice and the score changes instantly, not like a held switch. Is the CPU ROM the one I need?

#723 2 years ago

Does it happen every time you shoot the orbit twice in a row?

#724 2 years ago

has anyone ever found the image for the pic chip that controls the servo?

#725 2 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Does it happen every time you shoot the orbit twice in a row?

Yes, but only if fast enough and in succession.

#726 2 years ago

I just got my new translight from Retrorefurbs, UK. He had another to choose from, also. Good people to deal with.

62DD897C-9E5E-432D-9A92-F39D5CA48DAA (resized).jpeg62DD897C-9E5E-432D-9A92-F39D5CA48DAA (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#727 2 years ago
Quoted from 7craig7:

How do we put a color display in MSF. I wuld love a step by step and what actually to buy.

its easy the instructions you get make it simple i installed my own and i have use of only 1 hand..

https://shop.colordmd.com/x-led-192x64-replacement-display-for-frankenstein-pinball-machine/

2 weeks later
#728 2 years ago

Would anyone be willing to try to read the binary from a known working servo PIC chip? From doing some research it appears there is a newer flash version of the PIC available (PIC16F87-E/P or PIC16F88-E/P) that could be used instead of the original one time use chips. Additionally the E/P version of the newer chips are a higher heat tolerance range which could potentially keep them alive longer in a heavily abused machine. Would be great to have a chip that could be reflashed if there is a problem.

1 week later
#729 2 years ago

Am I crazy or does this not have auto plunge? Running 1.03.

#730 2 years ago
Quoted from madamyates:

Am I crazy or does this not have auto plunge? Running 1.03.

Game has autoplunge. Most DMD games with multiball do. Check your settings to see if it’s turned off somehow.

And check the switch.

D0525498-BDD0-4A77-B587-CEF043E67BAF (resized).jpegD0525498-BDD0-4A77-B587-CEF043E67BAF (resized).jpeg

#731 2 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Game has autoplunge. Most DMD games with multiball do. Check your settings to see if it’s turned off somehow.
And check the switch.
[quoted image]

Which adjustment is the autoplunge? The switch is active and working but I do not see the adjustment option. This is my only Sega title but all of the Sterns and Williams I have let me choose the time to plunge.

#732 2 years ago

it does have an autoplunge (vs a manual plunge via shooter rod and spring) but it does not automatically plunge the ball into the game after some default time

#733 2 years ago

multi or saved ball it auto plunges

#734 2 years ago

Was playing last night and my upper flipper slowly stopped working during my game. It looked like it just fizzled out (no actual sound that I could hear.) Upon inspection, wiring looks good, coil is new (whole mech), cabinet EOS looks good....

Any ideas? I just glanced at it this morning. I'll be diving in later.

#735 2 years ago
Quoted from zhu808:

Was playing last night and my upper flipper slowly stopped working during my game. It looked like it just fizzled out (no actual sound that I could hear.) Upon inspection, wiring looks good, coil is new (whole mech), cabinet EOS looks good....
Any ideas? I just glanced at it this morning. I'll be diving in later.

2 places to start in the head.Fuses, of course , but more likely other transistors. Find the one in your book to support the flipper to test
There will be a transistor listed for that flipper
Should be between.4 and .6

#736 2 years ago
Quoted from zhu808:

Was playing last night and my upper flipper slowly stopped working during my game.

Probably a dumb question but did you check the flipper button to make sure it's gapped correctly?

#737 2 years ago

though there were no eos on upper flippers just on the lower flippers that the upper is slaved too. I would check the wiring to the coil to make sure the solder was still good and not cracked or cold soldered on either the coil side or where the wire for the coil comes off the flipper board or is that wiring daisy chained.

1 month later
#738 2 years ago

God this is annoying...do I grind it down? Gets stuck every time.

20210918_182404.jpg20210918_182404.jpg
#739 2 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

God this is annoying...do I grind it down? Gets stuck every time.
[quoted image]

Is that the correct post and rubber. Seems odd that it’s overhanging the opening in the PF.

#740 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Is that the correct post and rubber. Seems odd that it’s overhanging the opening in the PF.

I have this game,also, love it. Mine also came with a star post there. When you put Cliffy’s on, which I did,also, mine got stuck there,too. I changed the star post for a standard post, like the one at your Geneva scoop, more clearance, problem solved. Cliffy’s are a great product, but, sometimes you got to make adjustments for them.

#741 2 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I have this game,also, love it. Mine also came with a star post there. When you put Cliffy’s on, which I did,also, mine got stuck there,too. I changed the star post for a standard post, like the one at your Geneva scoop, more clearance, problem solved. Cliffy’s are a great product, but, sometimes you got to make adjustments for them.

Interesting, could you take a pic?
Thanks

#742 2 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Interesting, could you take a pic?
Thanks

I changed all my posts to yellow, in case you wonder. The standard size post fixed mine. You can borrow one from somewhere else on your game to test.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#743 2 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I changed all my posts to yellow, in case you wonder. The standard size post fixed mine. You can borrow one from somewhere else on your game to test.[quoted image]

Thank You!

#744 2 years ago

Glad to help. These pinballs keep you scratching your head. Your welcome.

#745 2 years ago

I took my cliffy off that scoop because of that. I'd rather have playfield wear than fight the ball getting stuck.

Originally I added mylar over the cliffy to smooth the transition, which helped marginally.

#746 2 years ago

Hey guys. New to the family as of yesterday. Just picked up an MSF in decent shape, which is a re-import from Holland according to all the markings. Thankfully I knew what to look for and had an understanding of what is involved troubleshooting/fixing some of the issues that were present with this being my 2nd pinball machine. Since bringing it home I've already resolved all my game-affecting issues with the sole exception of one with the plunger (or Power Switch/Lever), which isn't a big deal at this time since I can launch with the flippers. So on that note I have a few general questions regarding this game that I figured would be better asked in this thread rather than starting something new:

1) When the game boots, the screen displays:

FRANKENSTEIN
FEB.01, 1995
DUTCH CPU 1.03

From my brief research, I believe 1.03 to be the most current version of the software. Is that correct? Is there any functional difference between this and a US ROM set? Would there be any value in swapping out these Dutch ROMs for US ROMs?

2) The plunger (or Power Switch/Lever) is kind of flaky...sometimes shoots the ball and sometimes does not. I looked inside and noticed that when jiggling the cabling to that leaf switch it sometimes registers in a switch test, so it may simply be a wiring issue...I will be looking more closely at that soon. However, looking at the plunger assembly, I see that the leaf switch is only engaged when the lever is in the up position. If the lever is down, the leaf switch is not engaged. Is this normal? Is the lever supposed to trigger the switch in the up and down position? Does the lever shoot the ball with either an up or down movement? Or perhaps the logic in the game shoots the ball whenever there is a change in state of this switch? Figured I'd look for an answer on this before I started troubleshooting in case there is additional work to be done.

3) My FRANKENSTEIN targets do not have any graphics on them...just a plain white target with a silver rivet in the middle. I can't say I've ever looked closely at this over the years, but I just assumed the targets on most/all games had graphics on them. Looking online I do see decals for sale. Is there a specific set that is considered stock? Some pictures I found online show targets without graphics, while some in this thread have graphics.

4) Does anyone have any recommendations for new lights/LEDs to use for the playfield and backbox? I have quite a few bulbs out, and given the number of bulbs I'll need to replace I figure it makes more sense to do them all, which is pushing me towards a complete LED makeover. I've never done this type of project before, so I wanted to get input on what type of LEDs would be recommended, in general and/or for this particular pin. I'm concerned with accuracy and ensuring they're not blinding. I see that Marco has a complete kit (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/05-1286). Are these kits recommended? Are they more economical versus buying separately?

Thanks in advance for any input!

#747 2 years ago
Quoted from slizzap:

Hey guys. New to the family as of yesterday. Just picked up an MSF in decent shape, which is a re-import from Holland according to all the markings. Thankfully I knew what to look for and had an understanding of what is involved troubleshooting/fixing some of the issues that were present with this being my 2nd pinball machine. Since bringing it home I've already resolved all my game-affecting issues with the sole exception of one with the plunger (or Power Switch/Lever), which isn't a big deal at this time since I can launch with the flippers. So on that note I have a few general questions regarding this game that I figured would be better asked in this thread rather than starting something new:
1) When the game boots, the screen displays:
FRANKENSTEIN
FEB.01, 1995
DUTCH CPU 1.03
From my brief research, I believe 1.03 to be the most current version of the software. Is that correct? Is there any functional difference between this and a US ROM set? Would there be any value in swapping out these Dutch ROMs for US ROMs?
2) The plunger (or Power Switch/Lever) is kind of flaky...sometimes shoots the ball and sometimes does not. I looked inside and noticed that when jiggling the cabling to that leaf switch it sometimes registers in a switch test, so it may simply be a wiring issue...I will be looking more closely at that soon. However, looking at the plunger assembly, I see that the leaf switch is only engaged when the lever is in the up position. If the lever is down, the leaf switch is not engaged. Is this normal? Is the lever supposed to trigger the switch in the up and down position? Does the lever shoot the ball with either an up or down movement? Or perhaps the logic in the game shoots the ball whenever there is a change in state of this switch? Figured I'd look for an answer on this before I started troubleshooting in case there is additional work to be done.
3) My FRANKENSTEIN targets do not have any graphics on them...just a plain white target with a silver rivet in the middle. I can't say I've ever looked closely at this over the years, but I just assumed the targets on most/all games had graphics on them. Looking online I do see decals for sale. Is there a specific set that is considered stock? Some pictures I found online show targets without graphics, while some in this thread have graphics.
4) Does anyone have any recommendations for new lights/LEDs to use for the playfield and backbox? I have quite a few bulbs out, and given the number of bulbs I'll need to replace I figure it makes more sense to do them all, which is pushing me towards a complete LED makeover. I've never done this type of project before, so I wanted to get input on what type of LEDs would be recommended, in general and/or for this particular pin. I'm concerned with accuracy and ensuring they're not blinding. I see that Marco has a complete kit (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/05-1286). Are these kits recommended? Are they more economical versus buying separately?
Thanks in advance for any input!

Ad 3: the game originally came with bare white targets...so it is stock

#748 2 years ago
Quoted from harig:

Ad 3: the game originally came with bare white targets...so it is stock

Re: #3 - Thanks for the input, harig. I'll have to put some thought into whether to put some decals on it, or leave it as is. I tend to prefer for things be as close to stock as possible.

Re: #2 - I already solved my problem, and in turn answered my own question. I took a closer look at the wiring and found a combination of bent switch prongs, bad crimps with exposed wiring, and a diode that was shorting the connection...bent the prongs and separated the wiring and now the lever works 100% in both directions. I'll have to add a proper clean-up for this on to my to-do list.

That just leaves #1 and #4.

Man this game is really hitting the spot for me. The more and more I play this game, the more I appreciate the accessibility and overall fun. The 6-ball multiball is absolute madness and makes me laugh every time...never experienced anything like that in a pin before.

#749 2 years ago

usually there is a diode in the switch and I have had problems with it breaking loose and causing the switch not to fire. it fires in both directions.

#750 2 years ago

cool white leds in polar areas and warm white elsewhere

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 27.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 259.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
There are 946 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mary-shelleys-frankenstein-owners-club-ideas-and-info/page/15?hl=zhu808 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.