pasted_image (resized).png
20240110_144624 (resized).jpg
20240110_144119 (resized).jpg
20240110_143948 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 6.35.41 PM.png
20230925_145614 (resized).jpg
20230925_145424 (resized).jpg
20230924_173102.jpg
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Lighting Guide.pdf (PDF preview)
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 1.45.17 PM.png
IMG_8888-1.jpeg
20230525_195333.jpg
There are 966 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 20.
#551 4 years ago
Quoted from HyyL:

Hi! I’m also in the club. My piece isn’t in the best condition but now after some work it plays well.
Bought this game since I remembered it from being a kid putting coins in a machine yelling “I will have revenge!!”. Great game and even more fun than I thought it would be.
Still some work to be done. The game was filthy as shits and I’m still not finished cleaning everything. The monsters head doesn’t turn so that needs to be taken care of. Planing on buying a new servo motor but haven’t located a replacement yet. Anyone have a link maybe? Preferably European site.

Not in Europe, but, on the American EBay, there is a listing for a new one. Seller is located in Australia. Hope this might help.

#552 4 years ago
Quoted from HyyL:

Hi! I’m also in the club. My piece isn’t in the best condition but now after some work it plays well.
Bought this game since I remembered it from being a kid putting coins in a machine yelling “I will have revenge!!”. Great game and even more fun than I thought it would be.
Still some work to be done. The game was filthy as shits and I’m still not finished cleaning everything. The monsters head doesn’t turn so that needs to be taken care of. Planing on buying a new servo motor but haven’t located a replacement yet. Anyone have a link maybe? Preferably European site.

you can find them on ebay i bought a airtronics forgot the model #

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from upsfeedr:

you can find them on ebay i bought a airtronics forgot the model #

Can look it up next week

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from HyyL:

here the info for the servo:
I followed that thread and it worked fine for me: https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/frankenstein-problem-mit-kopf-servo-geloest.179035/
Got the servo from Amazon and exchanged the position of the black and red wire - works great

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#555 4 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions on servos, much appreciated! Going to order one soon. Anyone now the model for the airtronic one? No biggie, I can order the Carson but my German is nich Uber gut.

But first I need to fix the VUK, from this thread I’m not alone with this problem. It throws the ball perfectly about 70% of the times. Changed the coil sleeve with no improvement. Next I’ll change the plunger. Read that someone’s mechanism was loose but mine seems sturdy.

#556 4 years ago

Be careful with the airtronics ones. At some point they changed the wiring pin out but did not change the model number. I found an article about in the past when I was changing mine. I will look for it and post it here if I can find it.

3 weeks later
#558 4 years ago

Back in the club as of Friday!! Very nice example with color DMD. What a mistake it was trading my other one last year....stoked to have one back.

DF0839EE-BAC4-449F-A231-246E64AF8B08 (resized).jpegDF0839EE-BAC4-449F-A231-246E64AF8B08 (resized).jpeg49707AD5-3CC5-41E8-82C3-9A713CEFC13F (resized).jpeg49707AD5-3CC5-41E8-82C3-9A713CEFC13F (resized).jpeg4CFBD68F-578A-4812-9CA7-F14EFD06CBAD (resized).jpeg4CFBD68F-578A-4812-9CA7-F14EFD06CBAD (resized).jpeg
#559 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Back in the club as of Friday!! Very nice example with color DMD. What a mistake it was trading my other one last year....stoked to have one back.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congratulations Colson! Always like Frank. Sold mine this past year at Pinfest and also regret it. The color really adds to it. Enjoy. I will have one again.

#560 4 years ago
Quoted from mtbpinball:

Congratulations Colson! Always like Frank. Sold mine this past year at Pinfest and also regret it. The color really adds to it. Enjoy. I will have one again.

Thanks Matt. You didn’t reach out to me first before selling it? LOL. There were two or three of them for sale recently, so they come around eventually. They all do.

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Back in the club as of Friday!! Very nice example with color DMD. What a mistake it was trading my other one last year....stoked to have one back.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Remember to try my pinsound mix!

#562 4 years ago

plasma bumpers make the game look great

1 week later
#563 4 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Great! Thanks!!
Next question...am I missing optos here?

I remember seeing the sample game in Los Angeles for a show...
It would not surprise me that at one time during development it could have had optos.
The thing I remember most, was the double ramp flap to get the ball up to the second level.
Consequently, the idea was scraped and a V.U.K. unit was added to get the ball up to the
second level for the lock ball sequence.

1 month later
#564 4 years ago

Mine has a reading of +4.90 on the power supply. I have been trying lots to pick it up. It does resets on multi ball. New power supply. Can someone tell me what is the normal reading for this game? Thanks.

#565 4 years ago

I get these 2 error messages when entering diagnostics menu on my Frankenstein. Any ideas how I get rid of them? According to the switch matrix diagram switch 57 and 58 are not used in Frankenstein. I appreciate any suggestion where to start troubleshooting.

IMG_3838 (resized).jpgIMG_3838 (resized).jpgIMG_3839 (resized).jpgIMG_3839 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#566 4 years ago

New to the club and so far love this game. I am having some issues, which I've tried to search and find answers in previous posts, so please excuse me if I'm repeating here -

Game plays great, getting all switches to work, the head moves, different video modes, the multi ball works (diff modes) and Frank even throws the balls as he should.

A couple of issues -

Sometimes while playing - it just shuts down and goes dead (GI is still on, the head still moves, but all else is dead) I do notice the "Blanking" light goes out at this time in the CPU.

Sometimes while playing - all scoring works, video modes pop up, but while playing the screen keeps popping up with the sega pinball, name of the game and version & year...it then switches back and forth while playing. (Scoring, video mode, or this title shot - all while playing. Weird??)

Sometimes while playing (almost all the time) I hear "Frankenstein" - then when ever I hit my right flipper (not the left) it interrupts Frank, and he starts to say it over...every time I hit the right flipper....like it's re-setting?

I did disconnect the display and it ran thru all 5 balls, full game, no issues....so, from other posts, it may be the 5v issue and the display is pulling too much power, causing these issues?

I did order new ROM's and the cable per that noted bulletin (from the power board to the display, but looking at the machine last night, I think someone has already put in this cable...maybe they didn't install it correctly?)

Is this my issue - the 5v problem I've read about? If so, what are my other options to get this working correctly?

He's "almost" alive!

#567 4 years ago

Sounds like the 5v problem to me. There is a kit that helps. These really need the full 5v or as close as possible. Have you checked it?

#568 4 years ago

Waited until the “kit” came in. It’s exactly like the one someone has already put in so not sure if the new one will help. May try it anyhow.

I’m getting 5.05 on TP1.

Played several games no issues 3 or 5 ball. Then when I’d get to multi ball (sometimes not all) the game would shut down. Sometimes it would shut down during regular play as well.

When it shut down these times the Blankng light did stay on. As well as Frank’s head moving and GI stayed lit. Display dead and game over.

I checked the TP’s again during these times and TP 1 stayed same. 5.05

But the other two TP’s were supposed to be +or- 12v respectively
I’m getting more like +7.5 / -14.4

I did insert the updated ROM’s on the CPU & Disp. Didn’t help of course

Taking all the boards out to have them looked over and put in NVRAM so hopefully we’ll find out the problem.

Just hoping it was something more simple (was going to have the boards looked over anyhow). But don’t think this cable is going to be the answer.

Question - should frank keep repeating every time I hit the right flipper ? Is that normal or perhaps part of this same issue and somehow resetting ?

If there are any other ideas or tips let me know. If not I’ll update once the boards are back in.

#569 4 years ago

Your +12 is dropping off, that circuit needs to be rebuilt on the power supply

#570 4 years ago

Thank you, I'm sure he'd found it but giving him ideas of what's wrong I'm sure helps saves time. (I'm just learning the board work. A little over a year ago I couldn't even do simple soldering without getting a friend to help, nor operate a meter..learned so much here with every ones help, and met some great people along the way) Getting there!

#571 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Question - should frank keep repeating every time I hit the right flipper ? Is that normal or perhaps part of this same issue and somehow resetting ?....

No that is not normal

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

But the other two TP’s were supposed to be +or- 12v respectively
I’m getting more like +7.5 / -14.4

I remenber those voltages are off in mine as well but +7.5 seems a bit low..maybe that vauses your soundboard to reset or similar..

#573 4 years ago

I’ll update with what’s found on the boards.

2 weeks later
#575 4 years ago

Got the boards back! "It's alive"! Frank is back and roaring loud and clear now. All items working, not shutting down, score shows up on the screen, all 100%!
Amazing difference when it's playing like it should!

Items found bad-
MPU =Removed battery's and installed NVram, Q22 Transistor replaced, installed MOSFETs for the lamp driver
Power Supply = Replaced fuse clips, replaced C2 capacitor and one Bridge rectifier

Both boards cleaned up, reflowed headers, she's ready for another 25 years or more!

#576 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Power Supply = Replaced fuse clips, replaced C2 capacitor and one Bridge rectifier

Nice!!! Miss mine immensely. I always replace that bridge rectifier on the PSB. On all DE and Sega games it will blow out eventually....and one day the game just goes dead.

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Nice!!! Miss mine immensely. I always replace that bridge rectifier on the PSB. On all DE and Sega games it will blow out eventually....and one day the game just goes dead.

Hey Colsond3! I almost PM'd you the other day while I was in your area! Saw you had a game or two for sale and was going to stop, but then weather hit and I came on home. Maybe next trip that way?

#578 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Hey Colsond3! I almost PM'd you the other day while I was in your area! Saw you had a game or two for sale and was going to stop, but then weather hit and I came on home. Maybe next trip that way?

Definitely! Whenever you know you’ll be in the area just give me the heads up. Welcome to stop by anytime.

#579 4 years ago

Hi guys,

I am new to the Frankenstein club, I traded for it last monday. While my friend and I, were looking to adjust the left arm, the rod to Frankie left arm broke. Do anyone know where i can find a square shaft part. For now, Frankie unfornutately only got an arm! Or maybe you got a goo idea for a fix, I mut admit I am far from being an engineer! ;o)

IMG_2814 (resized).jpgIMG_2814 (resized).jpg
#580 4 years ago

That sucks Dodge. Does any of the thread protrude thru the arm?

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

That sucks Dodge. Does any of the thread protrude thru the arm?

Unfortunately not enough, it basically broke at the beginning of the thread\screw part. I never knew a screw or a bolt can break. Now I know! ;o)

But I think I found the part. So it is not that bad and I should be able to fix it sooner than later.

3 weeks later
#582 4 years ago

Has anyone ever experienced the ramp switch not working properly.
When I first got the machine 5 years ago approx., it was working fine.
Now I recently reset it back up and the switch works but not completely.

It's not progressive anymore, it never scores over 200,000.
It does activate modes.
It doesn't award Jackpot
It doesn't do the Frankenstein Multi ball locks and throw.

It just awards 200,000

The connection to the switch is complete.
Anyone else ran into this yet.??

#583 4 years ago

Never heard of that issue before. Sounds bizarre. I haven't looked away mine in a while. Are there 2 switches on the ramp?

#584 4 years ago

do switches 46 and 45 both register in test mode?

1 week later
#585 4 years ago

I’ve recently bought a MSF and I love it, but I have a question for those of you that know this machine better than me. Does anyone know what the deal is with the “monster eyes” plastic? I see pictures of it but I’ve only found one pic of it in a machine. The one pic I found of it in the machine is missing another plastic that goes there, I do see it for sale in past auctions in plastic sets. Was this a part of the original plastic set, or a prototype or promotional item? I’ve enclosed a couple of pics.

Thanks in advance

6AA9BF06-3BFB-4964-8DA8-AFF4F0DE61F9 (resized).jpeg6AA9BF06-3BFB-4964-8DA8-AFF4F0DE61F9 (resized).jpeg918CF922-38EF-44A3-805C-D42A5B3BB213 (resized).jpeg918CF922-38EF-44A3-805C-D42A5B3BB213 (resized).jpeg
#586 4 years ago
Quoted from Fishzilla:

I’ve recently bought a MSF and I love it, but I have a question for those of you that know this machine better than me. Does anyone know what the deal is with the “monster eyes” plastic? I see pictures of it but I’ve only found one pic of it in a machine. The one pic I found of it in the machine is missing another plastic that goes there, I do see it for sale in past auctions in plastic sets. Was this a part of the original plastic set, or a prototype or promotional item? I’ve enclosed a couple of pics.
Thanks in advance[quoted image][quoted image]

See post#292. It is hard to find. I recently removed all the Mylar on mine, love it. Highly recommend Pinsound for this game.

#587 4 years ago

Thanks for the info...now I”m officially looking for “eyes” plastic, so if anyone happens to have an extra, please let me know. I know it’s a longshot but I gotta try, I love the way it looks.

Thanks again!

1 month later
#588 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

does anybody else help on this site besides Colsond3? come on guys!!!

I never doubt “colsond3“- but from the photo those eyes look upside down. Check out the nose Area. So not sure that’s the correct placement ?

Was there any documentation on this item?

#589 3 years ago

The eyes on mine are upside down also if memory serves. I think it was an effort to prevent a ball trap but don't know why it would be upside down.

#590 3 years ago

My eyes plastic is upside down as well and came like that. IIRC there was discussions back in that thread that it maybe was supposed to go on/behind the clear ramp in the flasher area near the bottom bumper but it fits very well under the ramp as well and acts as a needed support for the clear ramp there. If you check the quoted post above there is a pic with even 2 holes on the right side but no bracket to mount it.....in the end no one knows for sure anymore...part of history

2 weeks later
#591 3 years ago

Just looked at a Franky today with a weird problem. When the upper flipper button was let go and the flipper fell back to rest, the flipper mech somehow banged against the inside of the cabinet and made a thud sound. It seemed like the coil stop was contacting the playfield support rail, so when the flipper link hit the stop, it also knocked the support rail. Anyone else ever noticed this?

#592 3 years ago

Mine does the same thing, but haven't had time to dig into it

#593 3 years ago
Quoted from Fishzilla:

Thanks in advance

Here's where I put it that seems to make the most sense.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mary-shelleys-frankenstein-owners-club-ideas-and-info/page/7#post-4106055

Does anyone have a source for this plastic? It's near the back of the playfield on the left. New or used, doesnt matter.

20200517_183912 (resized).jpg20200517_183912 (resized).jpg

#594 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Here's where I put it that seems to make the most sense.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mary-shelleys-frankenstein-owners-club-ideas-and-info/page/7#post-4106055
Does anyone have a source for this plastic? It's near the back of the playfield on the left. New or used, doesnt matter.
[quoted image]

Pinball center, Germany has that plastic & more. I have bought from them before, good people. I need that plastic, too. Bad part is, they won’t ship to the USA, anymore. Planetary got them for licensing. If you can find a way, let me know. You guided me through Dr. Pinball years ago. I went color dmd recently, and gave mine to a friend with a Maverick, still works great.

#595 3 years ago

Even if it was available I imagine shipping from Germany would be prohibitively expensive. I can glue mine but I prefer a complete piece. Can someone get a spot on photo or scan of their spirit of the forest plastic? I can measure mine and just reproduce it.

Quoted from HIPPY:

You guided me through Dr. Pinball years ago. I went color dmd recently, and gave mine to a friend with a Maverick, still works great.

That awesome, thanks again for the comment. I'm about to do another plasma DMD conversion for my Frankenstein. Mine still works but it's tired. I forgot I bought an extra SmartDMD board a few years ago and got the software installed and activated. However, Olivier (oga83) doesnt "officially" support 192x64 even though the mode can be turned on. I'll try it and if it doesn't work, will just format the SD card and go back to a good old DMD Extender kit. I have a spare DMD Extender board from a Lethal Weapon 3 I put a Stern LED DMD in.

#596 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Even if it was available I imagine shipping from Germany would be prohibitively expensive. I can glue mine but I prefer a complete piece. Can someone get a spot on photo or scan of their spirit of the forest plastic? I can measure mine and just reproduce it.

Hey, I can help both of you guys out with a NOS plastic. PM me for details.....

#597 3 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

Thanks, PM sent.

#598 3 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

PM sent, thank you!

#599 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Another quick question for the Frankenstein club. The monster struggles to throw the balls in gameplay, but when I load them and try it in test mode, it throws well.
I'm thinking about changing the coil sleeve and cleaning the mech well. Any other suggestions?

Can't think of a suggestion for for the weak throw outside of weak power. Test mode is ok but in games with everything powered you have the issue?

Also.... Glad to see you dedicated to bring your basket case game back to good.

#600 3 years ago

I fixed my spirit of the forest plastic with Loctite glue. Works pretty well. I had some scrap lexan I reinforced it with on the back. I added a second line of glue to the front as well after it dried. It seems Franky is thowing the ball from his right hand too short during 2 ball multiball which causes it to land on that plastic sometimes. I'll replace the coil sleeve for the arms and/or adjust the solenoid power.

DSC_0211 (resized).JPGDSC_0211 (resized).JPGDSC_0212 (resized).JPGDSC_0212 (resized).JPGDSC_0213 (resized).JPGDSC_0213 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 966 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mary-shelleys-frankenstein-owners-club-ideas-and-info/page/12?hl=jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.