(Topic ID: 245378)

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein CPU board problem?

By UltraPeepi

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Scoot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UltraPeepi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have owned my Mary Shelley's Frankenstein since 1998. The only major repair was the DMD.

I was playing it last week, and in the middle of a game suddenly showed garbled partial graphics on the DMD, and there was a loud hum. I immediately flipped off the switch and unplugged the machine.

I tested all of the fuses, and none were blown. I disconnected the connectors from the power supply. I verified all of the incoming voltages. I reconnected the input to the power board, and verified all of the output voltages. So unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be a power issue.

If I reconnect all power, I get the same pronounce hum. The hum is NOT coming from the speakers (I disconnected them to be 100% sure). If I disconnect CN6, the hum goes away. CN6 contains -12V, +12V, and 5V. These go to the sound and CPU.

Is there any chance this is NOT a problem with the CPU board? I am looking at https://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PC-MPU004 and it mentions Frankenstein. My manual has a part number of 520-5003-004, but the site lists this as a replacement board for only 520-5003-001, 520-5003-002, and 520-5003-003. What's the difference between 520-5003-004 and the others?

Are there any common components on the CPU board that have a history of going bad? What are my next steps?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Your machine is 20 years old. You should start thinking about changing the electrolytic capacitors on power supply and sound boards.

True.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Is the game still going into attract mode even with nothing on the DMD?

No sound from the speakers. When I power on, it usually says, "Frankenstein!". Now I get nothing.

It's not the DMD. I replaced the DMD with an RGB DMD a couple of years ago. And yes, when it was the DMD, it powered up and was playable.

Quoted from DumbAss:

botched capacitor replacements

I resemble that remark. I have ripped out more than one eyelet in my lifetime.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

My manual has a part number of 520-5003-04, but the site lists this as a replacement board for only 520-5003-01, 520-5003-02, and 520-5003-03. What's the difference between 520-5003-04 and the others?

FYI, according PinWiki, it appears some were labelled as -04 from the factory, but were actually -03. It doesn't say it outright; but I think they are the same.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#The_Data_East_Board_Set

#8 4 years ago

Good news. I went to do some more diagnosing. I powered the machine on a couple of times. And I DID get the "Frankenstein" greeting, and the DMD displayed correctly. Basically, everything appeared to work (for the few moments I had the machine on).

That means the CPU board is good. The sound board is good. The DMD is good.

That means it is almost certainly a voltage issue. I got some readings on the TP on the CPU board during power up, from 4.6v to 4.9v. I know these machines have a history of being finicky with their 5 volts.

So maybe old caps are degrading.

3 weeks later
#9 4 years ago

Problem found.

Diagnosis was made harder because I forgot that the LED kit I installed came with light strips that connected to 12V. THAT was the problem. The light strips were drawing so much current, the 12V (unregulated), dropped to 8V and the sound board malfunctioned.

I thought this voltage drop was a power supply issue (because that 12V is only supposed to go to the sound board). So I bought a power supply cap kit for about $25.

I disconnected the LED strips and all is good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 259.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 36.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UltraPeepi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mary-shelley-s-frankenstein-cpu-board-problem?tu=UltraPeepi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.