Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pookycade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20201011_133154 (resized).jpg
    Marvin's_GNR (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

I had no idea Marvin's was in danger of going under due to COVID-19 until recently. I've only see passing references to their gofundme in other threads, so I thought it deserved its own thread to increase visibility.

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum has been closed to to COVID-19 and the family isn't sure they can hold on until they get to Phase 5 when they are cleared to re-open. So, to save the museum/arcade, they started a gofundme. It's a couple thousand over their original goal, but who knows how long they'll be forced to stay closed, so a cushion isn't a bad thing.

If you're interested in knowing more, their gofundme is here:
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/marvins-marvelous-mechanical-museum

#2 3 years ago

This is one place I would like to visit some day. Best of luck for them.

#3 3 years ago

Marvin’s is such a great place with a nice lineup of pins and some really interesting oddities. Huge bump for a great cause!

1 month later
    #4 3 years ago

If this is true, this is pretty shitty

Marvin's_GNR (resized).pngMarvin's_GNR (resized).png
    #5 3 years ago

Well they do have a GNR fo sho.

#6 3 years ago

Went to their facebook page.. they bought a GNR LE, avengers LE, turtles LE, and a rick and morty in the past 2 days. This doesn't sound like a business that's struggling.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Went to their facebook page.. they bought a GNR LE, avengers LE, turtles LE, and a rick and morty in the past 2 days. This doesn't sound like a business that's struggling.

And you know they bought them how? Even if they did buy them, is that wrong? If they sold three pins to get those and the gfm went to utilities, is that still wrong?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

And you know they bought them how? Even if they did buy them, is that wrong? If they sold three pins to get those and the gfm went to utilities, is that still wrong?

I think it might be wrong. Why are they all LE's? If Marvin's is investing into pinball to make profit (or keep above water), wouldn't they buy pro's (or premiums at best)?

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

If this is true, this is pretty shitty[quoted image]

Who knows what was sold to bring those in, or if they got a deal on them from the manufacturers? The way I look at it is the gofundme helps keep them going and the new pins help keep bringing people in so they can keep going in a VERY SLOW time where they would otherwise disappear. It's the same goal. Pros are not going to be the same draw as a Prem/LE machine.

#10 3 years ago

I did give to the fund and hope they open soon so I can play all those new games!

#11 3 years ago

Opened Friday, probably the best smaller lineup in the state - TMNT LE, AIQ LE, GNR LE, R&M, JP Premium, DP, EHOH Premium, TAF, SW ...

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

They probably did this in preparation for reopening. Isn't buying games part of their overall business?!

#13 3 years ago

All right! I did not know,I am on my way.tomorow.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think it might be wrong. Why are they all LE's? If Marvin's is investing into pinball to make profit (or keep above water), wouldn't they buy pro's (or premiums at best)?

Depends, Marvin’s probably gets a decent number of customers who are collectors. LEs probably earn better with that crowd. I mean if they brought in a bunch of b list games on a budget their earnings would tank.

#15 3 years ago

Went and played all them today .GNR is awesome . Yes, they have avangers LE, tmnt LE, elvira LE, gnr SE, rick and morty and some other games. Im not sure if marvins owns their pinballs..I know parker on here has something to do with the pinball..so maybe it's just a profit sharing for them..either way .its an awesome place that I've been going to for a long long time

IMG_20201011_133154 (resized).jpgIMG_20201011_133154 (resized).jpg
    #17 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

If this is true, this is pretty shitty[quoted image]

This is why I don’t like go fund mes for businesses. It pleads poverty, but then anything else you do to enhance the business argues for surplus which is discordant with the original message. I would agree that whatever the explanation, (and there must have been a damn good explanation to now have $60K of pins on display) the optics are just terrible.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marvin-s-marvelous-mechanical-museum-gofundme?hl=mitoska and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.