(Topic ID: 222942)

Marvel & DC get pins how about Image or Dark Horse?

By Frippertron

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Kronlar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    79E22EDB-4CF1-4092-AB24-63D0C5D2E91E (resized).jpeg
    eightball-23 (resized).jpg
    ad8927580802064c40f17be59b0f193c_xl (resized).jpg
    Sandman-Death (resized).jpg
    Sandman-TheEndless2 (resized).jpg
    Sandman (resized).jpg
    Sandman-2 (resized).jpg
    Bone_Issue_1 (resized).jpg
    gf (resized).jpg
    Munsters014023 (resized).jpg
    2465949-hellboy_colors_by_lostonwallace (resized).jpg
    513qta1gFCL._AC_UL320_SR208,320_ (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Marvel and DC comics have been big with Stern for awhile now. Wouldn't it be nice to see a Hellboy pin or probably the best comic in existence right now, Saga. Image indirectly had a pin , I guess, with TWD but that was all show based. Anybody have some good ideas for pins from Image or Dark Horse comics? They create way more interesting work than the big two companies, it's time they had some pins! Pictures are appreciated.

#2 5 years ago
    2465949-hellboy_colors_by_lostonwallace (resized).jpg2465949-hellboy_colors_by_lostonwallace (resized).jpg513qta1gFCL._AC_UL320_SR208,320_ (resized).jpg513qta1gFCL._AC_UL320_SR208,320_ (resized).jpg
    #3 5 years ago

Dark Horse= Sin city or Hell boy
    Image= Decedents or Saga
    IDW= 30 days of nights

#4 5 years ago

well looks like you'll get this next

Munsters014023 (resized).jpgMunsters014023 (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

I have a feeling most are not familiar with those titles. The only reason Deadpool works, imo, is because a good amount of us saw the movies.

#6 5 years ago

Um, spawn?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I have a feeling most are not familiar with those titles. The only reason Deadpool works, imo, is because a good amount of us saw the movies.

If you have ever spent any time in a comic book store you will learn a lot about Image and Dark Horse. Image, especially since most hardcore comic readers consider them the company that puts out the best and most consistent product year after year. Image makes comics for adults. Saga isn't just a great comic but a great piece of literature and art. It stands alone in its greatness. I highly recommend this series to all lapsed comic fans, Star Wars/Star Trek fans, and most of all mothers and fathers. You need to read this amazing series!

#8 5 years ago

i know i know..it should start with "At Large" but the art is so diff'rent it's best not to deal with it.

gf (resized).jpggf (resized).jpg
    #9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

If you have ever spent any time in a comic book store

thats where you lost me...

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

i know i know..it should start with "At Large" but the art is so diff'rent it's best not to deal with it.
    [quoted image]

I was "weighting" for you to shit on the thread! Thought you would be a Far Side kinda guy?

#11 5 years ago

East of West would be awesome

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

thats where you lost me...

Don't worry. New issues come out on Wednesday. You pre-order your stuff and pick it up once a week at the comic book shop. In and out in less than 5 mins. You don't need to "hang out" there. New issues for every title come out monthly and storylines typically run in a 6 issue set so you jump onto most series at the beginning of any 6 issue story.

#13 5 years ago

Spawn or Hellboy would be super hot.

A Spawn with McFarlane art would melt faces.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

East of West would be awesome

Great comic! That would be epic! I'd even love some indie off the wall stuff like Bone! Remember Bone back in the day. Great LOTR like story that sold a ton!

Bone_Issue_1 (resized).jpgBone_Issue_1 (resized).jpg
    #15 5 years ago

I've always been partial to The Sandman... and think a pin based upon the endless or any of the amazing stories could be really great.

As a theme though it would probably not draw too many in unless they make it really appealing visually.
    Sandman (resized).jpgSandman (resized).jpgSandman-2 (resized).jpgSandman-2 (resized).jpgSandman-Death (resized).jpgSandman-Death (resized).jpgSandman-TheEndless2 (resized).jpgSandman-TheEndless2 (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago

Batman, Spiderman, Superman, Iron man get pins because they are major Hollywood action movie franchises. Comics have nothing to do with it. Comics may have originally created the characters, setting and tone. But mostly they have all moved long past being comic books. They became major network TV shows and Hollywood sequel franchises (rebooted, again and again). Some of those titles became major media standard fodder, generations ago. Some are more recent entries, like Deadpool. But it's all about the major Hollywood mega blockbuster. Obviously Spawn and Hellboy are likely some time or another, pending Hollywood investing heavily into those titles (again).

It's the same thing for LOTR and Hobbit, for another comparison.

Game of thrones isn't a pin because it originated from a popular series of novels. Why isn't there a Catch-22 pin, or a Slaughterhouse 5 pinball machine? Those are no-brainers, right?

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Great comic! That would be epic! I'd even love some indie off the wall stuff like Bone! Remember Bone back in the day. Great LOTR like story that sold a ton![quoted image]

I love Bone. Black Science would be a good theme, too. Lots of world jumping possibilities.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from kirkgun:

Batman, Spiderman, Superman, Iron man get pins because they are major Hollywood action movie franchises. Comics have nothing to do with it. Comics may have originally created the characters, setting and tone. But mostly they have all moved long past being comic books. They became major network TV shows and Hollywood sequel franchises (rebooted, again and again). Some of those titles became major media standard fodder, generations ago. Some are more recent entries, like Deadpool. But it's all about the major Hollywood mega blockbuster. Obviously Spawn and Hellboy are likely some time or another, pending Hollywood investing heavily into those titles (again).
    It's the same thing for LOTR and Hobbit, for another comparison.
    Game of thrones isn't a pin because it originated from a popular series of novels. Why isn't there a Catch-22 pin, or a Slaughterhouse 5 pinball machine? Those are no-brainers, right?

The point of the thread is to think of awesome comic themes from the smaller publishers that would make great pins. Nobody is delusional enough to think they will actually be made. It's just fun spitballing. Although at one time a Hellboy pin coulda and shoulda been made!

#20 5 years ago

Has there been any non-Batman DC pins from Stern?

Give me a Fletcher Hank's Stardust pinball. Or Herbie the Fat Fury.

Or if DC, Swamp Thing.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Has there been any non-Batman DC pins from Stern?
    Give me a Fletcher Hank's Stardust pinball. Or Herbie the Fat Fury.
    Or if DC, Swamp Thing.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing would get my money! So would Miracleman and the Watchmen.

#22 5 years ago

We need more women in pinball, right?

ad8927580802064c40f17be59b0f193c_xl (resized).jpgad8927580802064c40f17be59b0f193c_xl (resized).jpg
    #24 5 years ago

Remember “The Maxx”? Cool Image comic that also had some exposure on “MTV’s Oddities”, a half hour animated show. Lots of good pin material in there with Mr Gone, the Isz’s, alternate realities and so on. Its from the 90s but currently being reprinted by IDW comics.

79E22EDB-4CF1-4092-AB24-63D0C5D2E91E (resized).jpeg79E22EDB-4CF1-4092-AB24-63D0C5D2E91E (resized).jpeg
    #25 5 years ago

Berserk.... that is all

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

The point of the thread is to think of awesome comic themes from the smaller publishers that would make great pins. Nobody is delusional enough to think they will actually be made. It's just fun spitballing. Although at one time a Hellboy pin coulda and shoulda been made!

I think the point kirkgun makes is that they could be made if a movie brings them mainstream. Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy are examples of characters that would not have gotten a pin if it weren't for the movies. Spawn, The Crow and Hellboy are getting reboots. If they sell enough tickets at the box office, then it shows the character is mainstream enough.

Men In Black would be a good theme, I'm surprised that hasn't been utilized yet.

Many, Many great books mentioned, but they do not have a big enough following.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing would get my money! So would Miracleman and the Watchmen.

Yeah. So much beautiful imagery from his run.

#28 5 years ago

I wish they expanded Roche Limit. I loved that series. Or how about a noir like Fatale? Absolutely awesome story and imagery.

#29 5 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marvel-amp-dc-get-pins-how-about-image-or-dark-horse?hl=kronlar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.