Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 352 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DocRotCod
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    distortion.jpg
    thumbnails.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-10-49-28.png
    147064011-617x416.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.54.14 .png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.42.28 .png
    VisualIssue_Fixed.png
    VisualIssue.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-31 10.41.41-637.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-31 10.38.11-161.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-31 10.37.39-725.png
    pinside-ignore-1.jpg
    popcorn-deer-2.gif
    Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 10.45.29 AM.png
    2015-05-29 21_21_00-What happened on mobile_ - Pinside.com.jpg
    There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
    #251 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

That's a good point. Actually I wouldn't mind the extra click, I just don't like the popout div with the vote links at the bottom because I have to drag the screen to see them. If the first click showed the old style voting links at the top right, that would be cool.

This is going to be adjusted in time.

#252 8 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

While I don't care much for karma points as a whole, they DID help me pinpoint users.

Plan is to replace it with something even more relevant. Stay tuned.

#253 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

how's that working for you on facebook?

I would not know. I don't spend much time on that site.

#254 8 years ago

There are going to be bugs in =any= software rollout. I'd encourage responders, as Aurich did, to offer your suggestions constructively. You can not imagine how many manhours building something like PinSide must take.

I've been using the new version on both laptop (Chrome browser, Kubuntu), and on my iPhone 5c (iOS 8.3, Dolphin Browser). Both look good to me.

Having built user interfaces for the aircrews of tactical fighter jets, I've learned that if you ask 15 users what they think, you'll get about 18 opinions.

Kudo's to Robin and to the beta testers.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#255 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

So what did it use to look like? There was always a na width before.
    It's amazing to me that people are so up in arms about max width sizes here. The majority of the web works this way. On a huge screen it's much easier to read text in a smaller area than going across the entire screen. On a smaller screen the large width isn't realized anyway. Older sites had to keep the width smaller because they coded for the least common denominator and responsive web design didn't exist. Newer sites usually still have some sort of max width.
    The point of having a huge monitor is so you can do more on it. Have your web browser and email both on screen at same time, for example. Not so you can make that one app take up more space. I guess people all do things differently. But some of this backlash is super surprising to me.

I read a few different forums, and this is the only one that locks the width... Shouldn't it be up to the user how wide they like their display? You don't understand why someone would want a wide display, I can't understand why someone would want to read a forum on a 5" screen.

This is a great forum, but I don't think I've ever experienced one version of a site compromised for another. When I saw the desktop option, I thought I found the solution. All it did was slide everything over to the left. lol

#256 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

A lot of sites provide an option to revert back to the classic site when they do an overhaul.

Quoted from flynnibus:

how's that working for you on facebook?

... or YouTube? Oh wait, they stopped that. I forgot about that since I left it.

#257 8 years ago

I am having an issue with the feature that allows you to see all posts in a thread by an individual poster. It used to work perfectly on my ipad but now doesn't seem to do anything at all. Does anyone else have this issue?

#258 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballpete:

I am having an issue with the feature that allows you to see all posts in a thread by an individual poster. It used to work perfectly on my ipad but now doesn't seem to do anything at all. Does anyone else have this issue?

Worked for me on desktop. I clicked the little man icon for your post, and I just saw your single post.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/martians-bring-pinside-mobile-update?tu=pinballpete
    -mof

#259 8 years ago

While this is a great thread to post your enthusiasm for the new upgrades, if you feel you have an important bug, please do report it AS WELL in the same old place:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/bugs

Please include along with your description of the problem: (now, if you truly don't want a team of detectives on your case, do not include the following

1. a screen shot
    2. mention whether you were in mobile or desktop view
    3. what device or computer you are using (android 4.4, iphone6, Win7, Mac desktop)

-mof

#260 8 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Looks like your G3 still doesn't have enough pixels in landscape mode, sorry. Works on my HTC One.

Did yours work before?

#261 8 years ago

Just using the desktop version on my mobile. All is good.

#262 8 years ago

I don't mind the fixed width on the desktop version. I run my browser in a smaller window on my desktop and it's just slightly wider than the center white sections. But when expanding the full window I see what everyone is talking about.

The only issue with the desktop version is collapsing the sub-forums with the blue arrows (or toggle all) doesn't stay that way. It re-expands again on it's own.

#263 8 years ago

Wow, 262 posts in! Thanks everybody for your comments, good or bad.

262 posts. Some great ideas, some bad ideas, some overly harsh comments, some insightful ones, some eyebrow raisers, some great support and some -dare I say it- passionate opinions. I read all of them and processed them one by one.

The result is a bunch of bugfixes, a bunch of visual changes and then some more. Now being tested by a team of volunteers who are slaving away behind their keyboards in our test facility in a hidden location somewhere in America.

More coffee please!

#264 8 years ago

edit: can't read, nm

#265 8 years ago

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet: I can't update locations on the pinmap via Safari on my iPad or on my Macbook. The "Save Changes to This Location" doesn't work at all, but if I click on the the "Close Location Editor" button, I get a "are you sure" popup.

#266 8 years ago

Cornelius: Yeah, reported elsewhere - and, I am pretty sure you'll see it fixed on the next site push.

#267 8 years ago

Ah, okay, it's not just me. Good looking out jfesler. And nice avatar!

#268 8 years ago

For me the bouncing envelope for new mail on iPhone 6+ does not open messages.

#269 8 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

I've tested this on the production site, and on the beta site. Both work fine on my iPhone 6+. Clicking the bouncing mail icon takes me to the "your inbox" page.

#270 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

I've tested this on the production site, and on the beta site. Both work fine on my iPhone 6+. Clicking the bouncing mail icon takes me to the "your inbox" page.

Hey dude. PM me

#271 8 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

It works fine on my iPhone 6+

#272 8 years ago

I noticed it didn't work reliably on my S5...sometimes it would and other times there could be a 20 sec lag and suddenly my inbox would appear.

#273 8 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

other times there could be a 20 sec lag

Yeah, some intermittent and random lag happening. I notice this on the pop cap as well, so sometimes I will hit the button twice due to the lag, but of course it reads both hits and closes again, lol. Hard to replicate though.

#274 8 years ago

Phew...that's easier on the eyes on the desktops...thanks.

#275 8 years ago

I have rolled out a bugfix release that should solve some issues reported after the last update.

- Subtle changes to post boxes, more "boxy" look
    - Dramatically decreases size of frontpage header on mobile by adding some toggle buttons for sub-forums, buzz etc
    - Fixes various interface/ui problems
    - Fixes problem adding Wanted ads to the market place
    - Fixes problem saving locations
    - Fixes issue with location names containing apostrophes
    - Fixes issue with desktop site not being centered properly
    - Fixes issue where mobile sub-forums list did not expand
    - Fixes issue where mobile sub-forums open state not being remembered
    - Fixes issue with animated gifs showing black frames on Safari
    - Fixes issue with slow input on some mobile devices
    - Fixes post numbering #
    - Fixes issue with postbox not showing on new topic create.
    - Redesigned up/down voting
    - Replace space/cpu consuming posting histogram with smaller sparkline graph version. This feature is in beta!

Everybody who took the time to report bugs and problems. Thanks!

#276 8 years ago

I'm going to be the freak that says "I like the new site"! Yes I use a phone or tablet for most of my browsing and have often thought it would he great if there was a pinside app to make it easier to read on your phone. This is great if you ask me.

#277 8 years ago

On the desktop version for the upvote/downvote panel, the "clear my upvote button" seems a bit too close to the pop cap button. It's easy to accidentally click the "clear" button instead of the pop cap to close the vote panel.

In the avatar area, in Chrome on Win7, the initials are no longer vertically centered within the DMD screen.

#278 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I have rolled out a bugfix release that should solve some issues reported after the last update.

Thank you so much for changing the style of the post boxes!!!!! My brain is much happier!

#279 8 years ago

I haven't looked on my phone yet, but I'm a lot happier with the appearance and use on desktop. Thanks, Robin.

#280 8 years ago

The front page is much improved on iPhone. Now you don't have to scroll pages to get to the first post. Nice update.

#281 8 years ago

Oh yeah, don't know if anyone noticed, but the responsive version of the site now scales up to 1100px wide. I know there was discussion why the site does not scale to 100% browser width, but frankly I think that would look really bad.

In fact, let me grab a quick screenshot...

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.42.28 .pngScreen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.42.28 .png

That does not read very well and does not exactly follow good practice either:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_length

#282 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

but the responsive version of the site now scales up to 1100px

Well, I for one appreciate the extra couple hundred pixels.

*edit* looks like it doesn't work on my setup...not sure. 1024x768 screen still does not fill the whole width but I do think it's a little bigger anyways. I assume there's some built in buffer when you say 1100 wide that it's not just the post width.

#283 8 years ago

Everything looks like it is progressing rather nicely here. I know what kind of work is involved in responsive design and with a site this huge and so many features already involved and with new enhancements all working together, it's quite an impressive feat and job well done in my opinion. There's a reason why this is the largest online pinball community and nobody has attempted to try and make another site like this.

#284 8 years ago

I can't stop thinking about how nice the mobile experience is now!

Wish other forums and sites were this good.

#285 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

*edit* looks like it doesn't work on my setup...not sure. 1024x768 screen still does not fill the whole width but I do think it's a little bigger anyways. I assume there's some built in buffer when you say 1100 wide that it's not just the post width.

Make sure you are not in desktop mode, because that one is still capped to stay compatible with older devices.

I hope this screenshot explains how the content is currently supposed to look if the browser is super wide. I included Chrome's measurement.

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.54.14 .pngScreen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.54.14 .png
    #286 8 years ago

I'm not in desktop..I'm using Firefox, but frankly, it's a version that's pretty old... 31.5. It's what's "mandated" for me to use at this location. I'll check it at home on a current browser when I get a chance..I don't expect you to code for 30 revisions back!

#287 8 years ago

It appears that on some threads (perhaps because of large # of posts) that the recent activity link isn't working. Whenever, I click on the newests posts for the Skit-B thread (8000+), it always takes me to the top of page 176. This is on Desktop via Chrome.

EDIT: It's doing the same on the JPoP thread...takes me to the top of the 2nd to last page:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/255#post-2488426

#288 8 years ago

When I logged in an saw the Martian it really gave me a chuckle.

#289 8 years ago

Yeah, the jpop thread might be toast, when I posted on page 256 it took me back to page 255 after. Time to lock and start a new one?

#290 8 years ago

That thread is like the Indy 500 with a bad crash. Keep circling around and the wreckage is still there, all 500 times..

#291 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, the jpop thread might be toast, when I posted on page 256 it took me back to page 255 after. Time to lock and start a new one?

magic numbers on computers. 255 and 32,768 How may Pages / Posts was it at.

#292 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Those threads have ventured into the space time duality of wave particle uncertainty counts that computers can't handle with mere ones and zeros. Here is the formula for determining the max posts allowed under a single thread heading. Insignificant erratum have been dropped for clarity.

147064011-617x416.jpg147064011-617x416.jpg

#293 8 years ago

I'm sure this only affects me, however I did want to mention in case it's not just me. I keep my husband's history bookmarked, I troll his posts. On the desktop it's working fine. Mobile, the only option I have is the latest post on the thread, whether it's his post or not.

Screenshot_2015-06-02-10-49-28.pngScreenshot_2015-06-02-10-49-28.png

#294 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

magic numbers on computers. 255 and 32,768 How may Pages / Posts was it at.

I thought that, but the Skit-B is only page 176 and 8000 some posts....Jpop is 256 pages

#295 8 years ago

Looks much better on computer after the tweaks, thanks for keeping at it!

#296 8 years ago

Thanks Robin for the update I really appreciate the effort that has gone into this.

Update works like a charm for me on my Moto X Android 4.4.4

It used to be a real pain having to resize the screen all the time and I was constantly flipping from portrait to landscape, scrolling Left - Right depending on what page I was on.... now that has all gone and I can view pinside as it was meant to be I also appreciate now being able to fully view photos fully and able to zoom and scroll around them.

Desktop looks good too with Win 8.1 Chrome. 1680x1050

#297 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Those threads have ventured into the space time duality of wave particle uncertainty counts that computers can't handle with mere ones and zeros. Here is the formula for determining the max posts allowed under a single thread heading. Insignificant erratum have been dropped for clarity.
    147064011-617x416.jpg

Hey, those are my notes. Did you find those on Wikileaks or something?

The reason for the problem with the mega threads is that we sometimes delete duplicate posts and when that happens once or twice all is okay, but when it happens, say, 20 times the paging might be off. It's a longtime bug and not super easy to fix, but I'll take another look at it!

Quoted from Quiddity:

I'm sure this only affects me, however I did want to mention in case it's not just me. I keep my husband's history bookmarked, I troll his posts. On the desktop it's working fine. Mobile, the only option I have is the latest post on the thread, whether it's his post or not.
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-10-49-28.png

Yeah, I noticed that the user posting activity page is a bit poor on mobile. I'll work on that asap!

#298 8 years ago

The problem with editing locations on the Pin Map seems to be fixed. Thanks Robin!!

#299 8 years ago

Thank you, Robin. I appreciate it.

#300 8 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

We do have a "post count" now I see. That, in effect, is the same thing - so maybe my entire point is moot.

Not really. A few "pinside legends" like Caucasian2step seldom post, but got 20M+ karma because of their ratings. Others because they uploaded a lot of pictures and videos, or listed many places to play pinball. I found the karma points more useful than the number of posts.

There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/martians-bring-pinside-mobile-update/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.