Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 352 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DocRotCod
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    distortion.jpg
    thumbnails.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-10-49-28.png
    147064011-617x416.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.54.14 .png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.42.28 .png
    VisualIssue_Fixed.png
    VisualIssue.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-31 10.41.41-637.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-31 10.38.11-161.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-31 10.37.39-725.png
    pinside-ignore-1.jpg
    popcorn-deer-2.gif
    Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 10.45.29 AM.png
    2015-05-29 21_21_00-What happened on mobile_ - Pinside.com.jpg
    There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
    #51 8 years ago

The icons are fixed now. Took me an hour to find a solution (that I'm not particularly happy with) but it works!

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I hope that's true. This new format is no bueno. Actually makes reading it on an iPad difficult. Some significant white space and the grey bar feels like things are shifted a table cell or something.

Quoted from mof:

I call the new desktop look the "earthquake" view. Everything has shifted up, and leaves me feeling uneasy as though there are constant browser errors going on.

There was a lot of discussion about this and opinions were scattered so I decided to go live with this (instead of going back to the drawing board and spending another day or multiple days getting it right). I will evaluate feedback on the earthquake view, as mof calls it, and we'll see where that takes us

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

You'll get used to it pretty quickly. Change is always shocking at first. Hold the pitchforks back til you give it a chance.

No pitchforks, just an observation. Not a fan so far, we'll see how it progresses.

#53 8 years ago

The post view is a bit radical in change... and I know that view takes the most time for people to adapt to change in. I'm not necessarily digging the same background as the area between the posts (with the offset)... but I had some of the same background compliants with xenforo's default style initially but it has grown on me.

But I do think the user's name deserves to be in the white box and at least a vertical bar (even if only 80% of the space) is needed between the text area and the avatar/title area.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

There was a lot of discussion about this and opinions were scattered so I decided to go live with this (instead of going back to the drawing board and spending another day or multiple days getting it right). I will evaluate feedback on the earthquake view, as mof calls it, and we'll see where that takes us

I think overall the changes are positive, but could be taken that last step if the data for the post were inside the lighter colored block and didn't rise above it. Maybe if you just tweaked the background color of the elements above the postouter div class to the same as the postouter div, it might improve the feel?

#55 8 years ago

Robin did a TON of good work this year to make the mobile experience GREAT, while a rag-tag group of pinheads tested all his work over the last few weeks to ensure a smoother/quicker delivery.

If you have a concern/complaint, please be VERY specific in your post.

I'm VERY thankful that I can now use my tiny Samsung S3, and actually use the site without constantly zooming in and out. It's great!

-mof

#56 8 years ago

Great work Robin thanks! Looks great on my phone, chromebook and windows PC.

#57 8 years ago

I should add that I'm VERY happy the moving bar at the top is back. That was really annoying having to scroll up to go back to the forums page.

The recent iOS update hides the back and forward buttons on the browser on the ipad unless you are at the top of the page or pull them down.

#58 8 years ago

I'm seeing icons now.
    Title font fixed.
    -mof

#59 8 years ago

That was one of the variations I worked with. But I dismissed it as dull and uninspired

I quickly dug it up for you, here's a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 01.26.47 .pngScreen Shot 2015-05-30 at 01.26.47 .png
    #60 8 years ago

Great job, Robin!

#61 8 years ago

I really do not like this on the iPhone... Also I always click new posts when I open a thread and it's gone... Prefer the old way much better on iPhone... Haven't checked out on desktop but I rarely go on pinside there...

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That was one of the variations I worked with. But I dismissed it as dull and uninspired

Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 01.26.47 .png

Ohhh, I think that is way better.

I don't need the background of the forum to be lively and entertaining, the posts already cover that.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from danczaz:

I really do not like this on the iPhone... Also I always click new posts when I open a thread and it's gone... Prefer the old way much better on iPhone... Haven't checked out on desktop but I rarely go on pinside there...

As I mentioned in the opening post:

"I hope you will appreciate Pinside more on mobile now. If you don't and simply want to go desktop there is an option for you! Check out your settings page to turn off automatic switching to mobile. Or find the link in the footer (at the bottom of each page) that says 'desktop' to switch to the desktop version of the site at any time."

So go ahead and switch it off! I knew some people would mention this. I'm not a huge fan of mobile sites myself. But once you get used a bit to Pinside's new mobile few it does save you from a lot of pinch zooming.

#64 8 years ago

Hmm, Robin when I quoted you in the above post, it says I said it.

#65 8 years ago

I see Wolf found the quoting bug.

I actually like the current one better. It's a little more out of the box (no pun intended).

#66 8 years ago

Can there be a "style mode" for desktop users who prefer the old view/arrangement/colors/layout?

Like... an option where I select "Pinside 1.0". Heh.

I use Pinside on a Mac Desktop 90%, and on an iPhone6 the rest of the time, and was 110% satisfied with my user experience on those devices. Never minded pinching to zoom in on a phone etc.

Something really odd and dry about this new layout on desktop and its giving me the heebie jeebies. Like the site is in some sort of conservation mode. Like a hot-dog without cheese. Like pizza without the pepperoni.

#67 8 years ago

I'm tired. It's 1:39 am here. The update was planned for 5 pm.... But then some problems came up. Fixed those, then a tough decision at 11pm: do I update or not? I decided to go through with it. And now it's 1:39am in the morning. I'm outta here, if there are any problems it will have to wait until tomorrow.

#68 8 years ago

Looks great on my iPhone, thank you! great update

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm tired. It's 1:39 am here. The update was planned for 5 pm.... But then some problems came up. Fixed those, then a tough decision at 11pm: do I update or not? I decided to go through with it. And now it's 1:39am in the morning. I'm outta here, if there are any problems it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Sleep well, you did it !
    -mof

#70 8 years ago

I will say, the new iPhone experience is VASTLY superior to the old one, but I didn't mind the old one, Lol.

This message posted from my phone.image.jpgimage.jpg

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Actually, I think that version is better. It has a cleaner look than what is currently deployed IMO.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

If you have a concern/complaint, please be VERY specific in your post.

-mof

1. On a desktop (Firefox), the grey background that become the "bars" mentioned above posts are extremely ugly, a waste of space, and look amateurish at best.

2. The Green (?) box that comes down when selecting up/down vote is an exercise is horror.

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

yes, I'm familiar with all the fights between our UX guys and engineers about ambition vs comfort in designs In the mockup you show, I'm actually more 'bored' by the panel where the avatar/titles are than the post area.

I point to xenforo's style again.. they abandoned the spacing between posts and the post 'box' you have for thread views which was pretty radical at first.. but I've gone to like it. They anchor the avatar area in a bubble so it seems anchored.

For your current design.. I think if just the user titles was moved down inside the white area... it may be a cool hybrid. The avatar gets the cool offset.. the other elements are still up there... but I think the user's name itself is so important it shouldn't be obfuscated by being black on grey text and off the 'edge' so to speak.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

What if you took that idea, and just extended it more the left, and kept the user icon shift? Quick and dirty mockup:

pinside-posts.jpgpinside-posts.jpg

#75 8 years ago

This looks like crap on my IPad. Just like the image Jared posted on page 1.

#76 8 years ago

Either way the new mobile changes are awesome. And since I've been using the beta on and off (more on mobile, less on desktop though) I'm pretty used to it already.

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

What if you took that idea, and just extended it more the left, and kept the user icon shift? Quick and dirty mockup:
    pinside-posts.jpg

I like that too. As long as the "post block" includes all of the data and it visually stands off of the background as one piece my eyes will be happy.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

pinside-posts.jpg

Aurich, your post design idea is certainly an improvement on desktop.
    Can I ask you to mock up mobile?
    -mof

#79 8 years ago

I couldn't figure out how to change the settings... There was desktop icon on bottom of page... Got it! Back to normal!! Lol .. Thanks dan

#80 8 years ago

There are only two websites that I have ever donated to and I will continue to donate to pinside because there are always ongoing improvements to the user experience. Thanks!

#81 8 years ago

Looks great on my tablet and phone, both android. I spend all of my time here with mobile devices, thank you for updating it for that. Donation on its way.

#82 8 years ago

The grey bar and the icons for quoting, etc. look like something is missing.

In Aurich's image above it appears there are two shades of grey in the bar where the name is. In my Ipad that bar is a single color of grey. It seems like the part above the name should be blue or something else other than grey.

#83 8 years ago

Wow! Much better on android mobile, thanks!

#84 8 years ago

Mobile might be much improved, but it seems to have come at the cost of the desktop experience.

#85 8 years ago

Added Stats Page could be interesting.
    I thought that Pinside was hacked when first seeing that Martian Image.
    Karma points are gone! Nutz! I was working so hard on those darn things.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Karma points are gone! Nutz! I was working so hard on those darn things.

Now there are embarrassing post counts instead.

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Aurich, your post design idea is certainly an improvement on desktop.
    Can I ask you to mock up mobile?
    -mof

Sure, when I get a moment I can screen cap off mobile and do it, won't take long, just about to head out the door to pick up a child from a playdate and grab dinner.

#88 8 years ago

I am also not finding the borders between posts very appealing. Looks kinda weird with the user name and avatar offset from the white background. Used to see more posts on the same page. Plus, this is happening in Chrome now.

chrome.jpgchrome.jpg

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Either way the new mobile changes are awesome. And since I've been using the beta on and off (more on mobile, less on desktop though) I'm pretty used to it already.

Same here. My initial reaction was that desktop was not as great, I quickly grew used to it.

Even though i knew the update was coming, I didn't know what to do when I didn't have the awesome mobile version for around an hour.. Confessions of a Pinside addict, lol.

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I am also not find the borders between posts very appealing. Looks kinda weird with the user name and Avatar offset from the white background. Used to see more posts on the same page. Plus, this is happening in Chrome now.
    chrome.jpg

Did you check "Desktop Pinside" if so, yeah that is probably a bug. Robin will surely have that worked out in short order. I'm using my desktop now and the blank space on either side is fine, to my eyes.
    Untitled.pngUntitled.png

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I am also not find the borders between posts very appealing. Looks kinda weird with the user name and Avatar offset from the white background. Used to see more posts on the same page. Plus, this is happening in Chrome now.
    chrome.jpg

Firefox in desktop mode is displaying the same way for me. Makes me feel off balance.

#92 8 years ago

Icons are working for me now. I like the number of posts as opposed to the kryptic karma points.

#93 8 years ago

The iPhone version is really nice! Great work.

#94 8 years ago

Yes it's desktop.

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

chrome.jpg

Quoted from Jawa:

Firefox in desktop mode is displaying the same way for me. Makes me feel off balance.

It's a blast from the past, converting the 16X9 aspect we've all had for years back to 4x3...maybe the next update will make it Black & White?

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

pinside-posts.jpg

Where was that suggestion on the beta thread?

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's a blast from the past, converting the 16X9 aspect we've all had for years back to 4x3...maybe the next update will make it Black & White?

Expect that to be fixed. Wasn't like that on the beta site.

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Now there are embarrassing post counts instead.

You are sick, Aurich! 13,465!! I don't know whether to envy or pity you.

#99 8 years ago

I find it really interesting that people are saying there are grey 'bars' between posts.

I don't see that - I don't see it as 'grey bars' - the greay space between posts is the same color as the rest of the background. The post's content (and ONLY the post's content, not the top metadata) is highlighted with the white background. The small metadata (link to post, find all posts by, date, and up/down votes) are part of the background, 'hovering over' the background and post, as it were.

#100 8 years ago

Things look a little wonky in firefox on win7, even after a hard refresh.

2015-05-29 21_30_09-Pinside Pinball Forum - Pinside.com.jpg2015-05-29 21_30_09-Pinside Pinball Forum - Pinside.com.jpg
    2015-05-29 21_21_00-What happened on mobile_ - Pinside.com.jpg2015-05-29 21_21_00-What happened on mobile_ - Pinside.com.jpg

Otherwise, it looks like there some nice improvements in this update

There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/martians-bring-pinside-mobile-update/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.