Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 352 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DocRotCod
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    distortion.jpg
    thumbnails.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-10-49-28.png
    147064011-617x416.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.54.14 .png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.42.28 .png
    VisualIssue_Fixed.png
    VisualIssue.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-31 10.41.41-637.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-31 10.38.11-161.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-31 10.37.39-725.png
    pinside-ignore-1.jpg
    popcorn-deer-2.gif
    Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 10.45.29 AM.png
    2015-05-29 21_21_00-What happened on mobile_ - Pinside.com.jpg
    There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 8 years ago

First of all, I hope you all recovered from my little Martians splash screen joke.

Today I'm launching a new, "responsive" design for Pinside. Responsive means that all templates have been redesigned to scale to any size screen and the purpose of this is obviously to give mobile visitors of Pinside a much better experience.

I sincerely hope you all like the changes. This has been in the makings for over 4 months with testing help from a small group of Pinside beta testers (thanks all!).

There are still some sections that need design love, and I will work on those in the coming weeks/months. You can always PM me to report a section of the site that doesn't look good on desktop or mobile (or both)! In the meantime, please don't be too cruel when something doesn't work. Report it in a Pinside bugs thread or PM me directly.

Anyways, let's talk about the update. Sometimes change can be a bit overwhelming so here is a small overview of what's changed.

The new UI for a Pinside forum postThe new UI for a Pinside forum post

Whoah, wait a minute! Where did Karma Points go?

They have been retired, man. I'm phasing them out. It was fun while it lasted but it's time for a better way to indicate someone's Pinside status. What that's gonna be? I'm still working on it

As for the new design, the starting point for me was that I wanted to keep one code base - not having to maintain two separate sites. This meant making some compromises where content had to fit in wide but also in narrow screens. For the post screen this was mainly accomplished by replacing text links with icons (which I also moved to the bottom since that made more sense).

But a lot more had to change. Converting a 2008 website design to a responsive 2015 version was not easy. At all.

Topic lists remain mostly the the same on desktop, but now look like this on mobile:

Comparing desktop and mobile topic listsComparing desktop and mobile topic lists

Another thing that has been improved, and this is a HUGE improvement for both desktop and mobile is the new image browser. You can try it out by clicking/tapping the first image in this post. It shows the full picture by default, but an extra click will zoom to 1 and allow you to drag and pan the image. This works with mouse and touch!

The new fullscreen image viewerThe new fullscreen image viewer

You can now always see where you are, by checking the navigation bar that stays on screen and shows you the current navigation path. An easy way to get back to the start of a topic, its sub-forum or the frontpage.

The is also a dropdown "hamburger" menu now for mobile users, to quickly navigate to sections of the site (including search):

The hamburger menuThe hamburger menu

And much, much more has changed. So grab you phone and browse to Pinside to check it out.

And much, much more.And much, much more.

I hope you will appreciate Pinside more on mobile now. If you don't and simply want to go desktop there is an option for you! Check out your settings page to turn off automatic switching to mobile. Or find the link in the footer (at the bottom of each page) that says 'desktop' to switch to the desktop version of the site at any time.

Wanna say thanks? Support my work on Pinside! All donations are appreciated and your contribution allows me to pay the bills AND continue to improve Pinside. Thanks!

#3 8 years ago

Hey! That's my Tunnel Champ score!!!

Update looks great on my phone!

#4 8 years ago

Okay we seem to be back up and running .... I'm working on a little issue with fonts....

#5 8 years ago

Attacked by martians??! Scared the bejeezus out of me!

#6 8 years ago

On my phone now. Looks awesome!

#7 8 years ago

Phew we're back. With Pinside down I had nowhere to post a thread with 5 exclamation points aboot a website being down for 5 minutes

#8 8 years ago

Looks good on chrome for android! Great job!

#9 8 years ago

Why are there so many Asian
    language looking symbols?

#10 8 years ago

Getting an error when trying to post a market place ad (WTB AFM)

#11 8 years ago

Can't wait to give it a test drive! Particularly the mobile features that were lacking before!

#12 8 years ago

I preferred the previous desktop version for sure. Have not tried mobile yet.

#13 8 years ago

crazy work, as a software dev i know your pain and all i have to say is congrats and hats off

well done sir

#14 8 years ago

Funny, I figured the Jpop and Skit-B threads finally overwhelmed the place

#15 8 years ago

Viewing this on an andriod mobile

Many lines of text are missing the bottom half

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I preferred the previous desktop version for sure. Have not tried mobile yet.

Looks better on android till I start typing and then I can't see much

EDIT: Fixed text on desktop so i could see what was going on.

#17 8 years ago

GREAT JOB, MY WIFE WILL BE VERY PLEASED THAT I CAN ACCESS IT MUCH EASIER ON MY PHONE... CANT WAIT TO NEVER LLOK UP AGAIN!!!! THANKS ROBIN

#18 8 years ago

Did the beta site get shut down then?

I missed the Martian attack. :sad face:

Edit: it's never simple, eh Robin?

#19 8 years ago

Brilliant work Robin! I know enough to know that I have NO IDEA how much effort this took, but that it was A LOT.

Congratulations

#20 8 years ago

Thank you for your efforts Robin us Pinball Addicts Salute You!!

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm working on a little issue with fonts..

I think I understand what you mean
    fonts.jpgfonts.jpg

#22 8 years ago

Brilliant, thank you for doing this. Most of my Pinside activity is done on a mobile device.

#23 8 years ago

Mobile version for IOS looks great, thanks Robin! Unbelievable efforts!

#24 8 years ago

Hmm, I was going to add more on some desktop bugs I saw but hitting return after inserting a smiley posted it. I'm not sure if it's like Facebook where return now posts immediately, instead of a space? In case so, I've got weird Asian characters in places like next to the Thumbs up/Thumbs down, number of years and send post. I also have just a # sign and time in my bar, none of the direct link to post, posts by the user or other data. I also had a where the smiley icon should be.

Ok, appears that if you don't add an emoticon return doesn't post immediately.

#25 8 years ago

fonts being worked on i assume

#26 8 years ago

I mostly use pinside on a Mac 27" Running Firefox.

The site has worked perfectly and looked amazing.

Now it looks... well... missing. Bare bones. Its very odd.

weird pinside.jpgweird pinside.jpg

#27 8 years ago

And it appears an underscore "_" didn't show up in the text box that was there when I just posted it.

Quoted from jibmums:

Attacked by martians??! Scared the bejeezus out of me!

I also figured I'd also test out the functionality of attaching a file. Here was Robin's joke for those that missed it:
    pinside_invasion.jpgpinside_invasion.jpg

#28 8 years ago

Thank you Robin and the beta testers !

LTG : )

#29 8 years ago

i thought pin side was hacked. glad ll is well.

#30 8 years ago

So much more user friendly on my Andriod now. I never really used my phone much to look at Pinside but i will now since I can actually see it much better.

#31 8 years ago

Works well if holding my phone vertical...horizontal may be worse for ME than before. Don't use mobil that much though so I'm not target person. Obviously updating isn;t over so I'm sure it'll work great when done.

#32 8 years ago

On all my computers the CSS is not all loading. Fonts, positioning, icons are all missing or messed up. I see a lot of Chinese letters as well.

#33 8 years ago

Happy to see the ratings sliders "Save Changes" button has reappeared!

#34 8 years ago

Not a fan of the new post layout. Having the name and the time in the gray bar above the post is weird. It's graphically frustrating.

#35 8 years ago

My Mac at home can't get through placing a WTB ad. Says error after I click add item to market

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Not a fan of the new post layout. Having the name and the time in the gray bar above the post is weird. It's graphically frustrating.

Sure it's not done yet. They wouldn't leave it looking this horrible.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I mostly use pinside on a Mac 27" Running Firefox.
    The site has worked perfectly and looked amazing.
    Now it looks... well... missing. Bare bones. Its very odd.
    weird pinside.jpg

I,m like you Jared. Im using the same, a 27" Mac and things look a little odd but I guess its all getting use to.

#38 8 years ago

awesome, I never realized how much I scrolled sid to side on my phone!
    Thank you!

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

My Mac at home can't get through placing a WTB ad. Says error after I click add item to market

Also on my phone.

#40 8 years ago

Looks great to me. Wow, better than I expected.

Get random Chinese characters... 2015-05-29-17-55-03.png2015-05-29-17-55-03.png

#41 8 years ago

I'm on a Macbook Pro on Chrome and mine looks like Jared's post. Seems like the design icons should be different from what we're seeing and what Robin posted, but maybe not?

#42 8 years ago

Wow. I just can't believe how awesome this website is and keeps getting. Literally every other message board I use feels like a dinosaur next to Pinside. Thanks again Robin!

Looks great on my iPhone 6+, but there was no up/down vote arrows for this message.

On the current Chrome on Windows 8, the only issue I see is the (Chinese?) font issue that I think you're already aware of.

#43 8 years ago

The icons are fixed for me now

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I call the new forum post style the "earthquake" style.
    Everything has shifted up, and leaves me feeling uneasy as though there are constant browser errors going on.

-mof

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure it's not done yet. They wouldn't leave it looking this horrible.

I hope that's true. This new format is no bueno. Actually makes reading it on an iPad difficult. Some significant white space and the grey bar feels like things are shifted a table cell or something.

#46 8 years ago

not a fan of this at all.

yuck

#48 8 years ago

Absolutely fantastic mobile experience on iphone5-thks

#49 8 years ago

This is the first site update that seems to be a step back to me. I also like to know Pinside longevity--I generally give more weight to someone who has been around longer. Not always, but often.

#50 8 years ago

You'll get used to it pretty quickly. Change is always shocking at first. Hold the pitchforks back til you give it a chance.

There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/martians-bring-pinside-mobile-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.