You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FFE5FE09-11D3-4633-8132-BCCAF8CE8E49 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6649 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Picked up a Mars Trek a few months ago, and finally have space to set it up. First issue is that anything worth 1,000 points will not score, no chime, no score advance. When I manually activate the 1,000 point relay in the back box, the reel will advance, chime will sound. Also when the 100 point reel rolls over from 9 to 0 it will activate the 1,000 point relay as intended. Top hole (worth 5,000 points) will activate score motor and kick out the ball, but no scoring. Nothing on the playfield worth 1,000 scores.

Second issue is that the ball count unit doesn't always advance. Pretty sure I just need to clean and rebuild that stepper unit. Other issue that I believe is related is that I set it to 3 Ball play, but it always plays a 5 ball game. The ball count unit disc seems to have a lot of some type of lube on it, and the traces seem pretty worn from the wipers, is it salvageable? Picture attached. Thanks for any help!
-Sauce

IMG_6649 (resized).jpgIMG_6649 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from sauce504:

ball count unit doesn't always advance

If the Ball Count stepup solenoid doesn't get its signal to advance, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 4 years ago

If the 1000-pt coil is functional and neither a 1000-pt or 5000-pt playfield target will activate the 1000-pt relay, I would first check the Jones plug connections, both inside the cabinet at the back and in the head.

Unfortunately, the copy of the schematic posted on ipdb is pretty poor quality and I am unable to read the appropriate circuit (section E-23) with my old eyes.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

the schematic posted on ipdb is pretty poor quality and I am unable to read the appropriate circuit (section E-23)

I agree with Runbikeskilee

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from (for example) Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)

#5 4 years ago

Quick update. So decided to trace the 1,000 point circuit from the back box relay on down, and notice that one of the wires was broke off! (Picture attached) Missed that before somehow. Resoldered and 1,000 points are working again.

Did a little more futzing with the ball count unit. The step up relay fires every time it should, but the latch wasn’t always catching. Mechs seem to have been over lubed and a little gummed up now. I adjusted one of the springs to put a lil more tension on the piece that drops and catches the gear and seems to be advancing 95% of the time now. Was really dreading having to do a full tear down on that stepper unit but probably will in the future.

The only remaining mystery is why it’s playing 5 balls when set to 3. Did some continuity tests on the ball count unit, and everything looked to be fine, but the traces are a lil wacky (as seen in first photo). At least it’s very playable now, and five ball ain’t so bad with how quick this game can be.

FFE5FE09-11D3-4633-8132-BCCAF8CE8E49 (resized).jpegFFE5FE09-11D3-4633-8132-BCCAF8CE8E49 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mars-trek-scoring-issue-ball-count-issue?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.