Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by monsonb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My Mars Trek has developed a new problem. Sometimes the ball doesn’t end when it drains into the outhole. I can open the coin door and see that the outhole switch is closed (I can even make sure by pressing my finger on it), but the machine won’t advance to the next ball, and the ball won’t kick out.

Slapping the lockdown bar gets the ball to end and eject to the next round (you can guess how I figured that out), and a tap on the middle of the play field - with the glass off- does the same thing.

I cleaned the outhole switch with a flex stone, but that didn’t solve it. Adjusting the switch didn't help, either.

To check the switch, I waited for a ball to “fail” (just sit there in the outhole), and I shorted the switch with a jumper wire - touching the two soldered points. That also didn’t make the ball eject. The ball just sat there. But when I slapped the lockdown bar, the ball ejected….

I tried jumping the switch again when it was open (without a ball activating it), and the eject mechenism fired.

Why would slapping the machine make the switch fire, when jumping the switch won’t activate it?

Thanks for your time, any advice would be appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

Old solder often has a scrim of dried flux all over it. You have to scrape it to get a clean conductive surface.

Leave a ball in the outhole and then 'clean' the contacts with 600 grit or higher sandpaper, using the weight of the ball to give pressure.

Any change is symptom?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Any change is symptom?

I tried the 600 grit sandpaper, but the symptom is the same. Thanks for the reply, though.

#4 8 years ago

maybe chk the contact points, sometimes they come loose, and go intermittent. if that does not fix it, suppose that switch may not be the problem, some other place that shakes when bar is slapped.

#5 8 years ago

Check the solder on the wires to the outhouse switch too. Could be a loose solder joint there.

#6 8 years ago

Again, thanks for the replies.

I had a friend mention the bonus counter that activates after each ball. I think that's my problem. When the ball just sits in the outhole, the counter isn't in the zero position. I gently encouraged a spider arm into the right position, and the game advanced. Maybe that's what what I was moving when I slapped the machine?

I lightly sanded (600 grit) underneath all the spider arms and the brass connections on the bonus unit. I also applied a thin coat of Super Lube. It seems to have solved the problem, but I'll report back after several more games.

#7 8 years ago

I haven't had a problem with a ball ending in the last 50 balls. It was failing about every third ball or so. I think I can call this fixed.
Thanks for the input!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mars-trek-outhole-eject-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.