• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03420_(resized).JPG
DSC03419_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Mars Trek has the extra ball loop, with the gate inside. The extra ball lights will lite. The gate was registering points but now it has stopped. Checked for broken wires, manually activated the switch, but still nothing. Any suggestions?

#2 8 years ago

Morning Bump

#3 8 years ago

Lift the playfield and make sure the switch contacts are making a connection. Also make sure the contact point isn't dirty. If you don't have a flex stone to clean the contacts, you could use a bit of 400 grit sandpaper to make sure the contacts are shiny on both contacts.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks, I tried all of those options. I even bypasses the switch contacts all together touching the wires together on the back of the switch. No luck.

#5 8 years ago

I don't have a schematic, but I would bet the same relay that turns the when lit lites on also shifts that switch from a point award to awarding extra ball. That relay or another associated with the circuit may have an open switch.

#6 8 years ago

Inside the cabinet, right behind the score motor on the left is the extra ball relay. Maybe the make break switch at the top of the diagram is dirty? With the game off, manually move the relay arm and make sure every switch is moving: M&B: make-break - one switch opens the other closes, N.C. normally closed- should open, N.O. normally open- should close. check to see if all the switches are clean

DSC03419_(resized).JPGDSC03419_(resized).JPGDSC03420_(resized).JPGDSC03420_(resized).JPG

1 month later
#7 8 years ago

Hello,
I bought this Mar's Trek machine and the extra ball does not work. The contact was closed and I'm thinking it burned out the relay?
Wires are good.

Also the "Lock relay" was buzzing. What is it for?

Thanks,
This is my first post so pardon my lack of terminology.

#8 8 years ago

The lock relay generally closes at the flick of the power switch on most Sonics. On others like Bally and Williams you generally can hit the left flipper, put a quarter in, or if there are credits hit the reset button which will all generally cause the lock relay to close and pull in. The pinrepair.com guides go over this in good detail but generally that relay will turn your general illumination lights on in both the back box and playfield. These are often a nice toasty brown color on many EM machines because these work hard and are generally "on" whenever the machine is powered up. They buzz and if that annoys you it is always an option to permanently close the relay and de-power it if you wish. That process is also nicely covered on pinrepair.com.

The ipdb.org entry has the guide to Mars Trek and in there you'll see the extra ball relay. Start up a game and see if manually closing that relay gives you an extra ball. There are a couple of switches on that relay, one that lights the lights and the other that will hold in until you score on the subsequent "extra ball". It could be a mechanical issue with the relay or a dirty or misadjusted switch contact there or in that circuit including the score motor. We can help walk you through the diagnosis.

Good luck.

#9 8 years ago

OK Thanks for your help.

I will try that this weekend and let you know. If I need a new relay are they available?
Do you know?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mars-trek-extra-ball-will-not-collect and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.