(Topic ID: 131243)

Mars: God of War (stopped working after move)

By ickus305

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ickus305
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150703_174616882.jpg
IMG_20150701_151939193.jpg
IMG_20150701_151946709.jpg
IMG_20150623_082255258.jpg
IMG_20150623_080106503.jpg
IMG_20150623_082227875.jpg
IMG_20150623_080051960.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I got a great deal today, I got a call about a Mars: God of War machine, $300 (the owner wanted it to go to someone who could and had some experience repairing pins, and was willing to keep it working). I played a game there and everything played great, all lights worked, flippers great, saucers great, drop targets work, multiball, and the playfield has mylar (that will need taken off at some point) Both backglass, the tube, etc everything there. They also, just had it serviced about 9 months ago, I saw new caps and new rectifiers were installed, as well as some caps for the sound were installed.

I have brought some Bally and Stern machines back from dead, but this is my first System 80 machine. I got the machine in place checked the connections, and plugged it in. Everything but the credit and ball in play light up and the attract sounds worked etc. I tried to add credits with no response, and unable to start the game. I was also unable to get the front door adjustment button to respond, and after turning off the machine and checking the connection for the credit display, all segments light. I checked the fuses, and also made sure the LED's light on the board. I feel like I am missing something simple, but I am not sure where to start.

Looking for some good reliable resources to gather info on Sys 80. Also, if anyone can trouble shoot if the credit display and front door functions are related.

#2 8 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

Sounds like you may have missed the A1J5 connector for the coin door.

Steve
System 80, nor just a job, it's an adventure

#3 8 years ago

First tip...never connect/disconnect a display when the game is turned on. That will blow chips on the MPU.

With Gottlieb's, one of the main issues is always connectors.
Reseat them several times to see if that temporarily "cures" the problem.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 8 years ago

I will check the connector in the morning. Thanks for the website info also.

No worries I learned my lesson about working with power on long long ago. I always shut down, before doing anything with displays and/or boards.

The connections for the boards and displays does not seem nearly as secure as on the bally/stern machines.

I like blownfuse's line, it is an adventure... pinball has been a great adventure.. several headaches along the way, but a great adventure and I am always ready to find something new to figure out.

#5 8 years ago

No dice on the A1J5 connector, removed, cleaned the contacts replaced, repeated 2 times.
I also checked the connector that leads to the A1J5 in the cabinet, and got nothing.

Just to add salt to the wound, the controlled lamps are also out. and the credit display is blank again.

I tested the fuses, and notice I am not getting 6vdc for the f2 & f3 lamp fuses, I read 3.5 VAC and 4.5 VAC, could this mean the bridge rectifier has gone bad? I have both the 12v and 5v lights on, on the board. Would that have anything to do with the front door not responding?

Mars is taunting me and challenging me, but unfortunately at this point I can not challenge back

***Edit: after being on for about 10-15 minutes, all the displays have gone out, and the the voice also stopped. The 5vdc LED on the board has stopped, and the 12vdc LED is lit very dim. This is looking like it might be something more. A bridge rectifier issue? or a power supply issue? I feel like I am moving all over the machine to follow the power coming in and where it is going to.

I figured I would attach a few pictures, since sometimes they are worth more words then I can type.

// Error: Image 419911 not found //
// Error: Image 419913 not found //
(I have the inner backglass, just keeping it safe until I have things working.)
// Error: Image 419914 not found //
// Error: Image 419912 not found //

#6 8 years ago

There's been a rash of this problem lately. It sounds like a possible A2 power supply issue to me. Since the 12VDC LED is still lit, I'd be looking at Q3 as the source cause. While there, I'd re-flow the solder around all the connector header pins. As I and other System 80 guys always point out, you need to be sure you have a solid power supply before any other possible troubleshooting can begin (from the bridge rectifiers through the A2 power supply board to the A1J1 connection). In many instances, this solves a lot of other visual issues.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#7 8 years ago

Have you looked for bad solder joints or bad connectors on the power supply board?

Did you get the manual with the machine?

#8 8 years ago

Start troubleshooting from the beginning. Check fuses, wiring, connectors, voltages, etc.

#9 8 years ago

Have you checked the pins in the connectors? They tend to break off giving the appearance of being there but not actually making a connection. Try tapping the connector with the open side down to see if anything falls out. Then visually inspect each pin to verify the flat part of the connector is still present for each pin.

#10 8 years ago

The power supply still has the original parts on it. It's always a good idea to ensure you have good clean power. So...I would advise rehabbing that power supply per the instructions in the PinWiki.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#11 8 years ago

Did you check that the tilt bob, or tilt ball is not stuck.

It wont boot if its stuck in tilt.

#12 8 years ago

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but you it is highly recommend that you update the grounding on the game.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Ground_updates

http://flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html#System80

Doing the ground mods will save you future headaches and may fix your current issues.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

There's been a rash of this problem lately. It sounds like a possible A2 power supply issue to me. Since the 12VDC LED is still lit, I'd be looking at Q3 as the source cause. While there, I'd re-flow the solder around all the connector header pins. As I and other System 80 guys always point out, you need to be sure you have a solid power supply before any other possible troubleshooting can begin (from the bridge rectifiers through the A2 power supply board to the A1J1 connection). In many instances, this solves a lot of other visual issues.
Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

I definitely plan on replacing the bridges (not getting DC readings, but I am getting AC readings from my meter)
I also, hope to do some work on the A2 power supply

Quoted from KenLayton:

Have you looked for bad solder joints or bad connectors on the power supply board?
Did you get the manual with the machine?

No manual or schematics, so sad

Quoted from Cheddar:

Have you checked the pins in the connectors? They tend to break off giving the appearance of being there but not actually making a connection. Try tapping the connector with the open side down to see if anything falls out. Then visually inspect each pin to verify the flat part of the connector is still present for each pin.

I did check, nothing was visible, but I would like to replace a few, they do not seem as snug as I would think they should be.

Quoted from erak:

Did you check that the tilt bob, or tilt ball is not stuck.
It wont boot if its stuck in tilt.

Definitely always my first place to check when a machine doesn't work, I fixed the door slam (which the machine did respond to originally, before it slowly crapped out further and further).

Quoted from woz:

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but you it is highly recommend that you update the grounding on the game.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Ground_updates
http://flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html#System80
Doing the ground mods will save you future headaches and may fix your current issues.

I did come across this issue today (while reading), and it definitely sounds like I will be doing this along with the other power concerns.

Thank you all for the input!! I will be making sure to completely check and overhaul the power going to the boards and the A2 power supply to make sure everything is in good shape, and not causing issues, as well as trying to get other possible problems taken care of.

#14 8 years ago

Parts are ordered (board repair, bridges, caps, connectors and so on.), so hopefully once they arrive, I can do the work, and things will "magically" work. I will make sure to go thru the test points etc before powering back on etc. What order do I need to start with when restarting the machine, disconnect x-y-z and test, then connect x and test, connect y, etc. Thanks

Second, Other then using the same method as volcano or other game (meaning I have not seen the method in those games and do not know how they are mounted, or what clips are being used.), suggestions on how to mount the inner backglass to the door? I was thinking about using some mirror clips installed on the door.

#15 8 years ago

Great idea to mount the backglass to the door. I wouldn't even think of using those damn clips again until you have the means to mount the glass to the door - it's just now worth the risk. I managed to get the backglass mounting hardware from a parted out Black Hole but I am sure there are other methods that have been documented in the past.

1 week later
#16 8 years ago

Well, since my package only went into the mail today from Big Daddy (8 days to process and package my order? seems a bit long) I decided to do a few pieces of work on the machine. I counted the lights and decided what LED's I will eventually install, replaced the rubber, as well as found a few pieces I will have to order at some point (like new drop targets and also new lane guides[currently I see a Bally logo on one]), those are later projects, first thing first is to get this bad boy up and running.

I replaced the wall outlet plug, as this is fairly standard practice for me to do, and I'm glad I did as the ground wire was broke inside the plug.

Also, I picked up some mirror J-clips and grabbed a few pieces of old poster frame sides and mounted the inner back glass to the door.IMG_20150701_151946709.jpgIMG_20150701_151946709.jpg
IMG_20150701_151939193.jpgIMG_20150701_151939193.jpg

#17 8 years ago

8 days seems to me like an indication that they ordered some or all of the parts from another vendor and re-shipped them.

#18 8 years ago

Mars is taunting me AGAIN!! YAY.

First, I would like to start with, I feel bad about complaining about the slow shipping of my package. I read they had a flood recently, so I feel as if I spoke without knowing all the information.

So, I got the parts to replace the caps, bridges, and repair the power board as well as a replacement power board. I am glad, I order parts to repair the board as well as a new board. It looks like someone who repaired the original at some point had some issues with the connector and soldered the entire thing together (the picture will describe it better than I can.)
IMG_20150703_174616882.jpgIMG_20150703_174616882.jpg

I replaced the board, until I can actually sit down and fully focus on removing and repairing pieces. (I still need to replace the other connectors, I was having more difficulties than usual with the crimps, so I cut my loses and will continue the process tomorrow). I did the front 3 bridges and the front cap ( I will do the cap and bridge on the back left tomorrow, I was unable to remove the balls from the trough without taking more apart, so those are next as well.) The bridges were all in bad shape, one even had some green something coming out of it.

Aside from the rest of the parts to replace, I will complete the grounding ASAP. But I was so excited (pretty sure even though this is the 4th game I have brought back from not working, this is the most excited to see it fire up and play) to see the game start, take credits, and the game start. I played about 8 games, and loved every minute of it. The pace of the game is great, the multiball is sweet (very rewarding to earn it, too bad I was unable to get into 3 ball multi), I was able to hit all the shots, including the stargate several times, the flippers work well, only 1-2 lights out, and the pop bumpers are awesome (now I need to overhaul my other games pop bumpers)

I must thoroughly thank every for their input and the help. I have several hobbies (I curate a toy museum), and the pinball community has been by far the friendliest and the most involved in helping to fix and solve problems for others. BlownFuse you are an amazing asset and I thank you for going out of your way to give some guidance.

Two quick questions: How do I ground with the new board (from the cap to plate??)
Can I put a pot inline to turn down the background volume (it is was too loud)?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mars-god-of-war-stopped-working-after-move and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.