Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dothedoo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi , thinking of buying Gottlieb mars god of war early production black cabinet pinball . Would like positive and negative feed back . Tks

#2 3 years ago

My 2c
The game just Sucks ! I like most of the Gottlieb's of that era , But this game is at the bottom of the list. And before people say that I have not played one that was " dialed in " I have played several different machines each time hoping to find one that made me change my mind. That never happened. The game play is slow with to much open playfield ( just like Black Hole ) but what I don't like the most is the extra set of flippers. Why are they there ?

I don't like the sounds , the game paly , the out lanes are drain monsters and other than the drop targets this game is just boring . A 4 out of 10

Brian Lenker
Ortonville MI.
586-344-0723

#3 3 years ago

Tks for info

#4 3 years ago

Well,I have a few sys 80 era's here
BH,HH,MGOW,Volcano,Spirit then of sys 80b have Genesis,TX,Robo-war,and Big House

sys 80bs dopaly a bit dofferent IMO so I can at least say virtually everyone ,pinhead wise + 25 plus all tent to prefer MGOW compared to Volvano,plud loads love MGOW,as do i .
Mine is set up steepish,and pops are mega snappy so it makes a reasonably fast game.
Which,when ya look at the pop layout,amkes sense.
General consensus seems to be plays lot faster than I thought a sys 80 would/should.
The locks are good,and simply available after the drops are down,and relevant lock shot hit.
the ramp shot is cool,and,naturally remoniscent of Xenon.
Being able to jsut straight out go for two ball multiball,or three ball(like other Gotts)is good.
Like the last chance lane.
Sounds,especially speech when compared to similar era lassics like Centaur make it sound old and out dated.Would have to agree there.However,the music is well suited to the game.Speech,like other sys 80's-is rahter robotic compared to other similar era pins.
Great backglass and lights,albeit with a mega shite backglass clip holder setup(wonder how many glasses went bye bye for that uber shite,not thought of,poorly engineered idea!?Here's a thought-get workmates to check an idea before it is implemented-thay at least down the line changed it).
WTF re cab colours?Protoright,production colours - what the hell.Yes make Mar black-it's not like no one ever refers to it as the "Red Planet" ffs.
proto cab better,natch.
Very open playfield,thothat never hurt another favourite game,AFM.
Re Bribo13 comments-disagree but each unto his own.One mans turd is anothers gem.Way it's always been,and always should be,we all have different opinions buy/play whatever the hell YOU like,I sure as hell do

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

My 2c
The game just Sucks ! I like most of the Gottlieb's of that era , But this game is at the bottom of the list. And before people say that I have not played one that was " dialed in " I have played several different machines each time hoping to find one that made me change my mind. That never happened. The game play is slow with to much open playfield ( just like Black Hole ) but what I don't like the most is the extra set of flippers. Why are they there ?
I don't like the sounds , the game paly , the out lanes are drain monsters and other than the drop targets this game is just boring . A 4 out of 10
Brian Lenker
Ortonville MI.
586-344-0723

what got it from a 1 up to a 4 ?

#6 3 years ago

Tks poibug

#7 3 years ago

My one complaint for Mars God Of War is the damn ramp shot. Even with a perfect shot on the ramp, the spinner can kill enough speed that the ball fails to reach the top of the ramp.

Drives me nuts!

Other than that, the rules are fantastic. There have been many nights where I had to play "one more game".

A properly designed ramp would make this game a 9 for me. But that is not the reality for mine. So I have to give it a solid 7.5 out of 10.

Marcus

#8 3 years ago

MGOW is my favorite of the Sys 80 games. I've owned Haunted House, BH, and MGOW (a couple times). Read some of the reviews. I wrote one a while back. Next to F14, MGOW was probably the best "one more game" pin that I've had. Pretty challenging stuff.

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/mars-god-of-war/ratings

It's not like a modern B/W or Stern game, or a Sys 11 for that matter. It's an early SS game and designed to eat your quarters (like most of the Gottliebs). Keep that in mine. If you can and you're still interested I'd say go for it if the price is right.

#9 3 years ago

Does any one know how many black cabinets were made ?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

what got it from a 1 up to a 4 ?

The back glass is very good looking, and the fact that is has a multi ball .

Brian

#11 3 years ago

I don't believe there has been a count but not very many black cabinet games slipped out from the factory (same with blue cabinet Time Line's). I have a black cabinet MGoW and really like the game. I've swapped in a NOS playfield, NOS plastic set, NOS instruction cards, NOS drop targets, converted it to 7 digit displays with dip switch setting for free play, converted to LED's, added a earphone jack with volume control and converted the backglass to mount up like BH. It plays crazy wicked and is very difficult to beat.

Steve

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from steamfitter:

Does any one know how many black cabinets were made ?

I've probably run across 20 MGOW's in the last 10 years, maybe 4 of them black cabs. Not a high percentage.

#13 3 years ago

Nice looking game (backglass anyway) but gameplay isn't great. I am not a big fan of many widebody machines but System 80 Gottlieb seem to be the worst of the wide bodies I have owned or played. The only machine I can think of worse than most Gottlieb machines is a Williams Contact - talk about slow!

#14 3 years ago

I'll be the one to say it then...

@ the second poster here: you have NEVER played a dailed one !

set up like it should be, the game can be stupid fast !

difficult challenging shots, tough ramp shot drops, great flipper arraingment, the list goes on...

@ the OP: if you pass turn me on to it..i'll take it gladly....

very hard to beat game, that has the one more game thing going on...

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

My one complaint for Mars God Of War is the damn ramp shot. Even with a perfect shot on the ramp, the spinner can kill enough speed that the ball fails to reach the top of the ramp.

Interesting, I've never had that problem. The ramp shot is pretty narrow, requiring an accurate shot, but I've never had the spinner kill it before.

Bribo's review is pretty harsh. Yes, it's a widebody and I'm not a big fan of widebodies either, but it doesn't play slow like a lot of other widebodies. Yes, it has extra flippers which was pretty typical for Gottliebs of the era. To me the playfield doesn't seem as wide open as BH or HH. And the lock shot on the right is very hard to hit from the lower flipper....much easier from the upper flipper. The rules are great, the sounds are great, and that black cabinet is awesome!

I found the game to be very challenging at first, but once you've mastered the shots you can tear it up pretty easily. If you want to make the game harder, put a one-way gate on the Launch chamber so the pop bumper can't slop it in there to start multiball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
€ 8.40
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 13.00
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 15.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside