20220216_174244 (resized).jpg
973AD181-9E60-4B92-A516-BD00A511B84B (resized).jpeg
D333877E-0C53-402D-989D-387B07334660 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
94438B11-14D2-4B9D-998C-21184C01AF9F (resized).jpeg
310F8730-FE15-447D-AA12-0C45257FB7B4 (resized).jpeg
4420397E-7D64-4AC1-9154-77D175A972CB (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Apinjunkie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 4 years ago

Good day, curious how many of you god of war heads are still out there. I've had my machine for close to 20 years, 15 of those it's been in storage. Rode hard and put up wet. This whole CV thing May leave me with time to finally get this up and running again, just curious which source it's going to be the best for information ,I know I'll have questions. Most of my hands on pinball experience has been with Williams system 9, space shuttle and I know that the Gottlieb system 80's can be a little quirky.I really enjoy how brutal the game play of this machine can be, love the challenge of it and I've always wanted to dress it up a little bit. Anyway, just wanted to chime in and see if anyone is still monitors this thread or if there's any secret handshake I need to learn before joining the club.

20200325_103053 (resized).jpg20200325_103053 (resized).jpg20200325_103040 (resized).jpg20200325_103040 (resized).jpg20200325_103031 (resized).jpg20200325_103031 (resized).jpg
#123 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Welcome to the club! Your playfield looks like it's in nice shape. It's rare to find a game where the tip of the black plastic by the extra ball target on the right isn't broken.

Thanks, in all fairness those are Plastics I cut myself and then reverse painted , still have the originals , I think they're in good shape, I'll know more when I get all of her Parts out of storage. Probably be a couple weeks before I start working on it. I still have to convince my wife this is a good idea. Nice to hear they're still mgow fanciers out there.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

I check this tread a good bit to see if there is anything new. When you get into it look at the guides. ground mods and replacing caps are some of what may need done. I love this game but when friends come over it just seems it doesn't get played much. Any way good luck with it!

Thanks, good to know. Gives me a starting point, if things are glitchy right out of the gate. It's been 5 years but it seems to me one of the war bases top-right wasn't kicking out. Other than that, always boots up, lights and sound we're good ,flippers pops all had action.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Hello
Worked on my Mars today and repinned eveything. I might have put one in the wrong spot. Far right on pic. Can someone tacke a pic on a1-j6 and send to me or post here?
cheers[quoted image]

Not the best picture, mines in storage right now. Hope this helps

20200331_181737 (resized).jpg20200331_181737 (resized).jpg
#129 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

I haven't done the suggested ground mods on this one yet, but I'm guessing that would be the perfect place to start.

Where can one find the suggested ground mods for this machine? Are all system 80s the same, or is this something game-specific?

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

I used the info here: https://www.flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html
I've done 2 Gold Wings, Force II, and a Hollywood Heat so far. Fixed a lot of issues.

Thanks, looks like plenty to chew on.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I have another ground upgrade for the system-80 (A&B) driver board.
The upgrade connects all 14 ground wires going to the driver board.[quoted image]

Thanks, even more to chew on. More information = more better. Have you tried this?

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Yes, I've done several boards.
No problems what so ever.
Peter

Good to know. This will be my first , but I am truly looking forward to the challenge.

#136 4 years ago

So here's something I'm sure a lot of you know but I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the posts regarding this game. The spaceship artwork was lifted directly from The Empire Strikes Back SketchBook. Originally a concept design for the snowspeeder. Years later Micro Machines came out with a snowspeeder toy packaged with an original concept vehicle toy AKA the mgow spaceship. These can still be found on eBay from 10 to $25. Could be a nice addition to an otherwise drab Playfield yet still keep the original theme of the game intact. They fit the color scheme of the game right out of the box, but could easily be painted to match the artwork on the table. I mounted mine on an old coil spring, they're solid and hold up to ball strikes just fine. I'll probably pick up a couple more before I start my build.

20200330_211525 (resized).jpg20200330_211525 (resized).jpg20200405_220837 (resized).jpg20200405_220837 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200408-193742_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200408-193742_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200408-193858_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200408-193858_Chrome (resized).jpg
2 months later
#140 3 years ago

P. S. Thanks for sharing those snowspeeder eBay links. I have a resin 3D printer so planning on modelling some of these to start printing. As far as I know you can't get plastic sets for this machine so I figured I'll print some ships and put them on top of some black paint /w stars plexiglass. Anyone able to recommend what type of plexiglass I should get for replacement playfield plastics? Or is it a different material altogether?

Welcome aboard, in regards to cutting new Plastics I would definitely recommend lexan .it's a lot more durable in the long run ,not as brittle as Plexi and cuts like butter with a small table top bandsaw. I cut a few pieces and reverse painted them for my Mars before I put it into storage 10 years ago.(photo) the centerpiece under the ship is straight black, whereas the ones on the right are dressed up with a few stars and planets.
As for the 3D modeling of the spaceship I think that's a fantastic idea. Post your progress. I'm no 3D modeler,but because this ship is based on the cockpit of a y-wing , there may be an existing model online you could use as a starting point for your render. Maybe easier than starting from scratch?
Can't wait to actually get a chance to do some more work on mine. I love this title!

20200627_112614 (resized).jpg20200627_112614 (resized).jpg20200627_113447 (resized).jpg20200627_113447 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#148 3 years ago
Quoted from Firebird71:

So I've got the model spooled up on the Elegoo Mars. (I guess I like things with Mars in the name?)
What does everyone think? Any tweaks to get it more in line with the pinball art? I'm thinking a decent paint job will do the trick. I'm getting low on resin so maybe next time around I'll pick up a batch of clear. That way I could wire the models into the GI circuit so the cockpit glows.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Damn that works really good just as it is. If you really wanted to maybe add the panel lines that make up that red stripe across the top of the ship. But you're right that could be taken care of Simply with a paint job. I like the idea of getting it to light up to. Cockpit ,engines maybe.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from Firebird71:

Well the model printed not too bad. I've got a few items I'll probably thicken a little and a couple other tweaks I'd make the next time around
I threw a quick paint job on the test print to get an idea of what I do and don't like. I figured since these were so much a copy of star wars assets I'd try dabbling with the grunge wash you see so often in that franchise. I think I have an idea now of what did and didn't work for next time. Now to track down that lexan sheeting.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great job on the paint. Digging the weathered look.

1 month later
#157 3 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:My tube is sliding over and the plastic that holds it is almost completely broken, any suggestions?

I remembered seeing this from early in the thread,maybe this will help.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mars-god-of-war-club-n-tech-emporium/page/2#post-2933226

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from badjoe82:

Thought I'd drop an introduction. I'm Joe. Joined the Pinside a few days ago and picked up a MGOW yesterday. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me as I slowly reassemble it. Currently just concentrating on cleaning the field up. It clearly sat for a few years.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome aboard, doesn't look to be in too bad of shape. Good luck.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from djentor:

Yeah I did get pretty lucky. It’s a really fun game. I put it into 5 ball mode to get the hang of it and now switching it back for proper challenge/Play.

For what it's worth, there's no shame in leaving this game set up at five balls. The game-play can be incredibly brutal with this title,even for an experienced player. One of the reasons I appreciate this game so much.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Going from memory alone(!), I recall being on 5 balls for a while & then switching to 3 balls, because there was actually some aspect of gameplay (I think it was the max cap on the bonus) that was smaller. I think I was unable to light the 20 insert in the bonus lights when it was set to 5 balls; it would light only the 10.
How's that for a specific & factual post?
Thanks,
-Jason

you miss this game, don't you?

#174 3 years ago

from firebird71
If anyone wants some of those spaceships or something else made up too let me know.

I might be down for two, maybe three of those 3D rendered spaceships. I've got the micro machine one but I really like the way yours came out looking. I could do the print clean up and painting myself. (kinda my thing thing) I'm curious to see how those clear pop caps come out if you pursue that. Might be interested, I'm trying to get away from the Roman soldier head theme a little, that said those custom flippers you put together are absolutely amazing. I've got nothing but time, just Gathering up parts for the rebuild which will probably be in the spring. But do let me know what you would need to get for a couple of those spaceships. Keep up the great work, this title has a lot of room for customization.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from Firebird71:

A little before and after for this weekends tinkering.
First up: The central drop target plastic some previous owner had made. Definitely a little worse for wear.
Next up: Took way longer than I'd hoped but I now have a drop target plastic that doesn't bother me when I look at it. Used polycarbonate since it seems to have a better reputation for holding up in a pin. Cut it out with a band saw and I recently inherited a nice drill press to do some clean hole drilling. Wet sanded the edges from there.
The underside paint job isn't perfect by any means but it's good enough for my first shot at doing something like this. Blobbed on some white acrylic paint for the stars then spray canned on the black. Then took a hobby knife to scrape away the still wet acrylic and the black that was over top of it getting us back down to the plastic. From there I took a white rattle can and did a layer of that on the underside. Does a half decent job of illuminating the stars and keeping the black space darker (If I were to make this again, I wonder how it would look if I actually brought some of the red planet onto the plastic instead of having it purely black?) . If anyone knows a better process to get the star effect/ paint the underside of plastics please let me know.
Drilled a fourth hole for the space ship and this one I printed at a slightly larger scale and printed it in one piece with its base to mount to the plastic. Painted it up and tapped the resin base for a bolt to run up from the underside of the plastic. Not that the spots are overly visible from where the player stands but the engine exhaust bits are done in a UV reactive orange and the headlights are in a UV yellow since I'm going to be using blacklights in the game room.
On a totally unrelated note, I ordered new IC's, caps and transistors for the animator boards since they've never worked right since I've had the machine. Once I know that's the issue, I'll be putting the inner backglass back in place. Mine has the paint all there and I want to keep it that way. What I do see on it though is that there are a few spots where the red has begun to lift off the glass in a circle. It's all there and I'm sure if I ran my fingernail along it I could get it to flake maybe? Anyways, what should I do to keep that red paint held in place? Spraying on clearcoat seems like it would be useless in this case. Could I get a sheet of mylar or something and stick it over the entire back side of the backglass? Or would this shrink and expand and destroy it in the long term?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That came out looking really nice, great job.

4 weeks later
#206 3 years ago
Quoted from hitcher:

Hi,
I used to love this game when I was a teenager (actualy this is the first machine I played on).
Many moons laters, I bought myself a Mars, and it's nothing that I remembered.
This is a drain machine!
Really painfull and frustrated to play with.
Usually a 3 balls 2mn game.
And sometimes, it lets you play few minutes more, but this is rare (my highscore is +800000, but average is 50000 at best)
How come this machine is so mean and different than the Mars I used to play in my teen years?

Mars God of War, the game you love... To hate. It's the brutal gameplay that keeps me coming back to this ,I love the challenge. It's no coincidence it's game number 666. It can be a beast.

2 years later
#266 1 year ago

So I'm finally getting around to getting my mgow up and running and looking nice and I'm having a rough time finding the outer back glass. I've tried Mayfair and no luck, anyone know who else might have one?

11 months later
#273 6 months ago

There was word a few months back on this thread that there was someone making a reproduction backglass for MGOW. Anyone here anything recently?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Apinjunkie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mars-god-of-war-club-n-tech-emporium?tu=Apinjunkie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.