(Topic ID: 254921)

Married, Single, Divorced. Poll and stories.

By JohnnyPinball007

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic poll

“Married, single or divorced?”

• married 355 votes
    73%
  • single 68 votes
    14%
  • divorced 40 votes
    8%
  • widowed/widower 10 votes
    2%
  • steady relationship 10 votes
    2%

(483 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4B0C4DE0D9FF4B868132750F09C3B007 (resized).jpg
4D0DF2A5-284E-4BC1-832D-3B1BA0DE95E6 (resized).jpeg
70586FB9-72B8-47C3-BF42-22632013BE14 (resized).jpeg
A1ACBDEB-F9F5-41A0-AB1A-E2A5D5B015D5 (resized).jpeg
C3DA93BE-F6BD-41B1-97DB-252BBFEB76C1.gif
imdn (resized).jpeg
M5 (resized).jpeg
M4 (resized).jpeg
M3 (resized).jpeg
M2 (resized).jpeg
M1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7329 (resized).jpg
20160328_111208 (resized).jpg
familyday (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1573660053230 (resized).jpg
IMG_2539 (resized).jpg
There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago

Alone. Always have been, not by choice. Perma friend zoned....

Rob

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Lol. Hopefully you're joking.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Blessing in disguise.

#54 4 years ago

A very big THANKS to whoever at Pinside updated the poll adding the widowed/widower choice I was not able to add.

You guys are awesome, and this site is awesome!

#55 4 years ago

This past May we celebrated 24 years of marriage. I met her at college, a few months later I visited my brother at another school, I told a co-worker of his that I'd marry her. A funny story is that person actually worked with a David Gersic, a pinball enthusiast that I didn't meet until years later. We have two wonderful sons, we've done trips all over the place for pinball machines and have good memories of all of them. She is my best friend, supporting me mentally and physically. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five months after we were married and epilepsy some years later. In my case I found my love quickly and more importantly, knew it. I wouldn't give it up for anything, not even a HEP-restored Krull!
37769222_1752425158158891_7150282762929307648_o (resized).jpg37769222_1752425158158891_7150282762929307648_o (resized).jpg

#56 4 years ago

Together for 10 and married for 4! High school sweethearts and we figured if we could make it through college together we could make it through the challenges of marriage aanndd so far so good! We work together everyday and still manage to be crazy about each other. Can’t imagine my life without her. Looking to grow our family within the year which will unfortunately cramp on my pinball adventures. Maybe prices will have cooled off by the time I’m ready to pick it back up again.

#57 4 years ago

My totally awesome better half of 21 years is starting menopause and said for me to post to check back in a year. Lol. Should be interesting the next few years

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

starting menopause

My personal experience with a girlfriend going through that is 3 main things:
1. hot flashes
2. mood swings
3. signs that she is pregnant, even though impossible for one reason or another. It just seems their body and frame of mind plays tricks on them when going through this. If she gets weird, just hold her and tell her everything will be ok. Or better yet, respond the way you think you should, and not advice from me or anyone else.

#59 4 years ago

As I see older men seemingly unable to speak and limping along, while their wives lead them around telling them what to do, it makes me wonder if they ever had enough balls to stand up for themselves or maybe at one time they were strong, but with years all the hen pecking just wore them down.

Anyway, I watched my dad get a second wind after his divorce, and his father before that. And even my brother seems a bit more happy and is living it up now with his.

I took my dad's advice- if it floats, flies, or fks, rent it, don't buy it.

#60 4 years ago

Had a lot of bad relationships, finally found the right one and married her 14 years ago! Still love her to death and would do anything for her! Age is starting to be a problem, she is 42 and I am 51, we started out partying our ass off, but now I am slowing down from that and she is hitting it hard and on top of that she is going through "the change" and becoming really belligerent and resentful towards me. I try doing what I think will make her happy, but that blows up in my face. This has been going on and getting worse for the past 6 months! I am lost and just want my wife and friend back! But sadly as the days go by, I am starting to realize that may never happen!

Didn't mean to have a pity party!

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Lol. Hopefully you're joking.

No, I'm not. The irony is that I have many platonic girlfriends, but most are not single. The ones who are not single will always tell me that they either envy me being single or tell me I am better off being single because 'relationships are hard work'. The few that are single just seem happy staying that way.

I don't cheat or fool around.

Rob

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Almost every girlfriend I have been with has been married one time, and at first they say they never want to get married again, and I think perfect. Within 6 months to a year they always start big time hinting wanting to get married. I am always like woah, lets just be happy like we are now.

About 6 months into this relationship that I hope lasts forever, my girlfriend seen me spending money on pins(and she loves them and plays them more than me actually), and she asked would I sell a pin to buy a ring. Yeah, big time hint, 4 months earlier she was all about been married one time, never doing that again, now this.

My answer was hell no, I can buy a ring for as cheap as $5.00, why should I ever have to sell a pin? So far that has been the end of that, but I am willing to marry her, and get her maybe a $25.00 ring someday, I will not be pressured, no need for it unless she has something hidden I do not know about.

And very weird, but at the same time I made a joke that I can buy a ring for 5 bucks a buddy of mine had just spent a whole lot and was getting married. He laughed about my 5 buck comment. Then not long after I never seen him, he would not return my calls. He messed up, the lady he married was cheating on him big time and he lost all his stuff, and he had just bought a house with her.

He is in contact now, but he has never said much, I know what I know from his family mostly.

For whatever reason, a lot of my friends come and go with their divorce stuff they never want to tell me about.

As far as marriage, the biggest thing that ticks me off is you have to go buy a marriage license. Why in the hell do I have to pay the county to get married is beyond me.

Another thing about modern day marriage I do not like is the lady wants to keep her last name a lot of the time now. WTF, you planning on leaving me so soon you do not want this to be traditional?

#63 4 years ago

As far as marriage, the biggest thing that ticks me off is you have to go buy a marriage license. Why in the hell do I have to pay the county to get married is beyond me.

You don't.

Marriage in reality is a man made, or perhaps woman made business contract with sometimes a big celebration that is also not needed. If two people decide they want to be together, they can do it without any of that. If there is pressure to get married, it is certainly not about love. And it makes it a lot easier to dissolve if it does not work out. You can even have kids without that business contract. Took one week living with the mother of my daughter to know it had to end someday. And seven years later it did. With no contract to dissolve.

#64 4 years ago

Happily married as of 21 years. We met a few years after high school at a dance club in Dallas. Strange thing was we both graduated the same high school, same year. We had mutual friends but never new each other in High School.

Me and my partner in crime, mother of our kiddos.

EEF222B5-C9A6-411C-AB57-0BF5472E1AF4 (resized).jpegEEF222B5-C9A6-411C-AB57-0BF5472E1AF4 (resized).jpeg
#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I never have either, but I have always been accused of crap like that and "trying to hide what I am doing" in the past. Hell, I am self employed and I do a whole lot of things from internet sales to rental houses to high risk construction work, and even relaxing lawn service for a few customers. (relaxing now that I have a great commercial mower).

Anyway, my girlfriend of 3 years or so is very awesome. If she will stay chilled out and not pressure me to marry unless I am totally ready what I would like to offer is this:

At some point I will just will everything I have to her after I have had a natural death. And I will make her favorite grandkid next in line in the will just in case.

BUT: I would want it in the will that if I suddenly died of a mysterious poison that will would be void.

I never dated from 18 years old until I was 30, because I wanted to get ahead in life money wise. I worked like 120 hours a week back in my 20's.

Looking back glad I did that, knees are about shot now, but at the same time if I had a high school sweetheart things may have been different(most likely for the worst).

Anyway, love em or leave em, just never shoot em. Have no clue where I heard that, but I did long ago.

I wish every single one of you the best always.

If you are in a good place do every damn thing you can to keep that going on.

If you are in a bad place do every damn thing you can to escape that.

Life is short. Never take anything for granted. Just always be the best you can be. (and yeah, like the 9th beer gets me in this chilled out mood). Peace!

#66 4 years ago

I never have either

When a friend's wive hit on me, I took the 13th commandment. There are some things that are just not right.

#67 4 years ago

Married with two beautiful kids.. my advice find a woman who love pin. and get married to her, trust me you won't have any problems what so ever.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When a friend's wive hit on me, I took the 13th commandment. There are some things that are just not right.

would call her out!! that's if the friend is a close own.. otherwise if i was single i might just hit it... hahahaha

#69 4 years ago

Dying alone is brutally painful. Brutal.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

My totally awesome better half of 21 years is starting menopause and said for me to post to check back in a year. Lol. Should be interesting the next few years

I don’t know why, but this post and your avatar having Johnny cage in it cracks me up.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And it makes it a lot easier to dissolve if it does not work out. You can even have kids without that business contract.

Tell that to my ex, whom I never married, but has spent the last year dragging me through the legal system and many thousands of dollars in legal fees.

The best advice I can give? Get it in writing and everyone have a lawyer. I’m not against living with someone or getting married but you know I’m going to have cohabitation agreements and pre-nups up the wazoo.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

No, I'm not. The irony is that I have many platonic girlfriends, but most are not single. The ones who are not single will always tell me that they either envy me being single or tell me I am better off being single because 'relationships are hard work'. The few that are single just seem happy staying that way.
Rob

If you're happy so be it, but if you'd like to exit the friend zone I recommend letting all of those friendships go. Best not to be hung up on or caught up with chicks who are involved. Focus your energy on the single ones. And when you start dating one if you aren't parking your car in her garage within 30 days you're likely headed right back to the friend zone.

#73 4 years ago

Married just over 3 years. When we bought our house, we made a solid deal. I got one room to do whatever I wanted and she got to decorate the rest of the house - no questions asked.

I chose to fill my room with pinball machines.

58825772_10217994815638338_7117720837741871104_n (resized).jpg58825772_10217994815638338_7117720837741871104_n (resized).jpg

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Tell that to my ex, whom I never married, but has spent the last year dragging me through the legal system and many thousands of dollars in legal fees.
The best advice I can give? Get it in writing and everyone have a lawyer. I’m not against living with someone or getting married but you know I’m going to have cohabitation agreements and pre-nups up the wazoo.

Sorry to hear that. Mine was reasonable enough to understand once you get the courts involved, they can end up with most of the money. So we came to a handshake agreement in regards to child support. And she wrote me a receipt every month on a sticky note.

#75 4 years ago

My wife is my best friend. Been together for 29 years . Married for 25. For 23 years I have been a stay at home dad and raised our kids which we have 3. Two are out of the house. The last one is going to college in two years. We have a great life going on great vacations and love going to concerts together. My wife is not into pinball but doesn't care if I am. We have our own hobbies and respect each other. I don't know how it could be better. I was lucky as I met the right one the first time.

#76 4 years ago

Met my first wife at a Halloween party around 24. We both partied A LOT. She had an 18-month old daughter that I absolutely adored (dad wasn't in the picture). I was in a band, lotsa drinking/drugs/women around. Moved in with her and her friends (revolving door). As we got older, the friends and roommates moved on and got married, so by default we did too. By this time we were in our 30s, and I was trying to throttle back on the drinking etc, but not her - I knew I wasn't going to be with her forever, but she was such a mess and I wanted to provide stability for her (basically my) daughter, so I stayed til she was 17.
I had met someone through work that was divorced, smart, had her shit together, with 2 young boys. We've been married almost 8 years now and together almost 18. She likes pinball, has her own hobbies - we don't always see eye to eye but who does. She was diagnosed w MS about 7 years ago. We will get through it.
And my "daughter" is 32 now, still calls me dad, and I have a 12 year granddaughter to spoil.

Now that I'm 55, I look back at some of the ones that got away when I was in my 20s, girls that I really liked and could picture myself with, but was always waiting for something better. Wish I hadn't. I love my wife, but I would have liked to find one person and built a life and family together.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Dying alone is brutally painful. Brutal.

If that means I can live without some old lady and a bunch of her crap around my house for the rest of my life, and answer to nobody but myself, that is a sacrifice I am willing to make. My dad didn't seem so lonely when he passed away, as he had plenty of friends.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As I see older men seemingly unable to speak and limping along, while their wives lead them around telling them what to do, it makes me wonder if they ever had enough balls to stand up for themselves or maybe at one time they were strong, but with years all the hen pecking just wore them down.
Anyway, I watched my dad get a second wind after his divorce, and his father before that. And even my brother seems a bit more happy and is living it up now with his.
I took my dad's advice- if it floats, flies, or fks, rent it, don't buy it.

I've known the line as: "If it floats, flies, fcks or has wheels, rent it".

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Met my first wife at a Halloween party around 24. We both partied A LOT. She had an 18-month old daughter that I absolutely adored (dad wasn't in the picture). I was in a band, lotsa drinking/drugs/women around. Moved in with her and her friends (revolving door). As we got older, the friends and roommates moved on and got married, so by default we did too. By this time we were in our 30s, and I was trying to throttle back on the drinking etc, but not her - I knew I wasn't going to be with her forever, but she was such a mess and I wanted to provide stability for her (basically my) daughter, so I stayed til she was 17.
I had met someone through work that was divorced, smart, had her shit together, with 2 young boys. We've been married almost 8 years now and together almost 18. She likes pinball, has her own hobbies - we don't always see eye to eye but who does. She was diagnosed w MS about 7 years ago. We will get through it.
And my "daughter" is 32 now, still calls me dad, and I have a 12 year granddaughter to spoil.
Now that I'm 55, I look back at some of the ones that got away when I was in my 20s, girls that I really liked and could picture myself with, but was always waiting for something better. Wish I hadn't. I love my wife, but I would have liked to find one person and built a life and family together.

I think you did quite well for what it's worth. There's nothing magical about having biological kids in my opinion -- lots of pluses and minuses. Great job with your daughter -- you did a wonderful thing raising her as your own.

#80 4 years ago

Married for ten years in the 90's, then divorced. My ex-wife recently passed away.

In a several-year-long relationship in the 2000's, then she cheated on me and broke up. She passed away a few years later.

Currently engaged for several years, and I tell my fiancee that she better not break up with me, as my exes don't have a very long shelf life.
100_0292 (resized).JPG100_0292 (resized).JPG

#81 4 years ago

I never have either, but I have always been accused of crap like that and "trying to hide what I am doing" in the past.

If someone doesn't trust you, the problem is on them. And usually they need to know exactly where you are so they can cheat on you.

Or if they never got over being cheated on, they need help. Or they'll drive everyone away at some point.

LTG : )

#82 4 years ago

I hit the jackpot 21 years ago when I met my wife, Donna. She was a musical theater singer/dancer on a national tour, performing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes with Barbara Eden.

We fell in love at the after-parties. I always joked that every teenaged boy, raised in the 60's t.v. generation, including me, had an "I Dream of Jeannie" crush. Nevertheless, this gentleman ended up falling for the jeannie's brunette castmate.

Here's a news clip promo photo, circa 1998, of the show. My wife is on the far left end, front row (to Barbara's far right). Also, from those musical theatre dating days is a photo of my wife (center) in patriotic attire. A current photo of Donna and a recent family photo are also included.

She's a wonderful mother and she supports my pinball hobby. Now, if only she could learn how to conjure up a Capcom King Pin for our gameroom by crossing her arms and blinking. I guess that I'll have to await the remake.
20191106_123836 (resized).jpg20191106_123836 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1573060870333 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1573060870333 (resized).jpg20191106_123916 (resized).jpg20191106_123916 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1573060846606 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1573060846606 (resized).jpg

#83 4 years ago

I was previously married for 6 years in my early thirties, with a great daughter from my 1st marriage. Thus, I have a married daughter from my 1st marriage and 2 high-schoolers at home.

I'm 60, so I'm among the older dads at the kids' events. My wife helps me retain a youthful outlook, for which I am grateful.

#84 4 years ago

In February, we celebrate 25 years together. Married a few years ago(thanks SCOTUS). Kinda ordinary, just two cats and a basement full of pins.

Fun fact: Years before marriage was legal, we went to a lawyer to do wills/medical power of attorney a sort of pre-nump agreement. The pre-nump was the weirdest process because you had to agree on what happens in the event of a split..in detail. The lawyer said some couples actually split up over the paperwork. If anything, it made the thought of a "divorce" a bit terrifying.

2019-09-28 11.12.54 (resized).jpg2019-09-28 11.12.54 (resized).jpg
#85 4 years ago

Got married in 1986. I have to use a calculator to find out how long that has been. Same thing for my birthday. My wife and kids don't want to play me on my machine because they say that I am too good and it is no fun. Sometimes they play by themselves though.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I always joked that every teenaged boy, raised in the 60's t.v. generation, including me, had an "I Dream of Jeannie" crush.

Even though she is over 80 now, I'd probably still do her. Is she married?

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had to check google to see if she was even still alive! And yes.. married and 88 years old

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

I had to check google to see if she was even still alive! And yes.. married and 88 years old

Has she got any granddaughters?

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Barbara Eden was extremely gracious. In 1998, she was a youthful 67.

She autographed a "Jeannie II" doll for my eldest. Jeannie II was the evil older sister, much like Serena (Samantha's evil cousin on Bewitched).

In 1998, Barbara wasn't the youthful jeannie in the bottle we remember from the t.v. series. Still, there was no denying that she retained the magic. She garnered standing ovations throughout that theatrical tour.

I credit Barbara with my good fortune to have married the love of my life.

20191106_144102 (resized).jpg20191106_144102 (resized).jpg
#90 4 years ago

No kids, no wife, no stress.

#91 4 years ago

My (girlfriend at the time) wife bought me my first pin. Registered an account here on pinside to do research, contacted a few locals in the MN/WI thread, and hid all of it from me so well we were pulling into the sellers driveway before I realized what was going on. (To be fair - I'm dumb as shit sometimes.)

She's not really into playing, but seems to thoroughly enjoy how much I like it.

A++ would marry again.

#92 4 years ago

I'm married...In Jamaica

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm married...In Jamaica

New York?

#94 4 years ago

No the actual country. Probably cost too much to fly all the way back to get divorced so looks like I'm in this for awHile.

#95 4 years ago
AF6141BA-BD92-4143-A214-E43D6C0DC87F (resized).jpegAF6141BA-BD92-4143-A214-E43D6C0DC87F (resized).jpeg
#96 4 years ago

Can someone please explain the origin of this fucking meme that’s everywhere. Why is that lady so pissed at that cat?

#97 4 years ago

The two women are from "the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills on Bravo teevee. The brunette's sister was the little girl on Nanny and the Professor series from many years ago.

#98 4 years ago

Married for 14 years after dating for 3. We have 2 girls, and I have a daughter from a previous non-marriage relationship. My wife about killed me when I just bought a new WOZRR and moved it into the basement, after buying a TAF 4 months prior (both without telling her about it beforehand)! I just told her this is my "mid-life pinball crisis" and it's over now. My wife is totally cool, as I spend quite a bit of time away from home umpiring college baseball in the spring as well. We do lots of stuff apart, but really like being together for the stuff we do together - like having dinner/drinks with friends, hanging out on neighborhood porches and drinking wine, and watching our kids play with their neighborhood friends. We got married late in life, and although we have normal dust-ups (mostly based on me doing stupid sh*t), we have pretty short memories in terms of being mad at each other. I think the best part of our marriage is we let each other be our own people, not jealous or controlling, and just enjoying what is our life. I consider myself a lucky man and husband, and my wife is a hotty that I landed at the right time!!

steff & me (resized).jpgsteff & me (resized).jpg
#99 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The brunette's sister was the little girl on Nanny and the Professor series from many years ago.

Prudence. I must say the years have not been too kind to her. Kinda of her own doing I suspect.

#100 4 years ago

Married for six years now, been together for 9, met on match.com. She had been married previously for 3 years in her early 20s. We have a five and a half year old son. It’s a great, wild ride. Does it feel like work some days? Do some days I daydream about “what if’s”? Yeah for sure. But I couldn’t have this life without her. She’s an awesome mom and supportive partner. I travel to four or or more pinball events on top of numerous tournaments every year and she picks up the slack while I’m gone. Our success has been based on kindness and communication. And we met at 30 which I think helped because we were mature enough.

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/married-single-divorced-poll-and-stories/page/2?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.