• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1458313888982_(resized).jpg
20160320_145947_(resized).jpg
1456970410159_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hardsuit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

In the process of obtaining a 1969 Student Prince in mechanically functioning but rough visual shape, and am planning a re-theme to a Tiki motif.

Instead of painted graphics, I'm thinking of doing the playfield art via laser cut wood veneer marquetry. Has this been done before, or does anyone know of specific issues and/or pitfalls of such an approach?

Thanks!

9 months later
#6 8 years ago

I haven't gotten to the playfield yet, but I have done all of the marquetry work on the cabinet...

There is a coat of clear on the sanded sides, and a raw sanded front. The color gets
so much deeper after you add the clearcoat...

1456970410159_(resized).jpg1456970410159_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#9 8 years ago

Marathon build from 9pm Thursday thru 4pm Friday resulted in the very cranky, but technically working, Polynesia at TPF. I just realized I don't have a good shot of the playfield, I will have to correct this oversight.

20160320_145947_(resized).jpg20160320_145947_(resized).jpg
Found the pic of the playfield. This is just temporary, I will be adding a bamboo veneer and line art graphics to start, and a bunch of other changes as the design starts to gel more fully in my head.

1458313888982_(resized).jpg1458313888982_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hardsuit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marquetry-wood-veneer-playfield?tu=Hardsuit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.