(Topic ID: 234556)

Marketing pinball to the next generation of kids.

By Luckydogg420

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190202_181727 (resized).jpg
    20190202_181707 (resized).jpg
    37042615-A938-44CB-9C10-0B7B0CBB3C47 (resized).png
    3A69E799-DA3F-4587-8000-85C98E4B676F (resized).jpeg
    C83DA351-246F-4723-BA53-B13B1603FBA3 (resized).jpeg
    128CB953-D7D6-4EE6-95E4-3B6A7A490D74 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

My daughter just got her subscription to National Geographic Kids in the mail and on the back cover is a full page add for a pinball app made by those goldfish crackers

128CB953-D7D6-4EE6-95E4-3B6A7A490D74 (resized).jpeg128CB953-D7D6-4EE6-95E4-3B6A7A490D74 (resized).jpegC83DA351-246F-4723-BA53-B13B1603FBA3 (resized).jpegC83DA351-246F-4723-BA53-B13B1603FBA3 (resized).jpeg
    #2 5 years ago

A pinball app is still a video game more than it is pinball IMHO. Kudos to the marketing folks: the kids play pinball apps on the phone or tables, and the Goldfish cracker branding and mascot is ever present. "HEY MOM! I want Goldfish crackers!!!"

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

A pinball app is still a video game more than it is pinball IMHO.

A lot of people found pinball through an app, don’t discredit its value.

#4 5 years ago

Marketing to kids is a waste of time. Kids don’t buy pinball machines nor hang out generally at places with pinball to play.

The focus by pinball companies (not snack companies) should be on marketing to people in their 20s and 30s.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

A lot of people found pinball through an app, don’t discredit its value.

Let's say "some" people. Value to whom? More people in pinball single largest impact in MY world: higher prices. I don't need more people in pinball, but they can have all the Goldfish crackers they want.

#6 5 years ago

I actually really got the itch after playing pinball fx a lot so I can see it. About to buy my first real pin now

#7 5 years ago

Wait, I'm confused. I thought we were all about spreading pinball and getting pinball to a larger audience. Broadcasting on ESPN, better streaming rigs, more views on Twitch etc, etc, and now you guys are saying, the less people, the better, and let's let pinball die with the current generation? Wait what?

#8 5 years ago

There are tons of themes that can cross the boundaries of multiple generations without being an "old man's" 60's theme pin. Those should be the focus if companies want to lure in the next generation.

1) Phineas and Ferb - My son loved that show, and I'd argue that I enjoyed watching it even more. I know many parents in their 30s that share the same sentiment. There's a Doofenshmirtz figure under my monitor at work as I write this. That show was borderline perfect and lends itself very well to a pin.
    2) TMNT - No brainer there.
    3) Spongebob - See #2.
    4) Greta Van Fleet - A band my 10yr old listens to because I got him into them.
    5) Double Dare - A classic game show with endless possibilities for a pin. A must watch when I was growing up. A must watch for him now.

Themes that strictly go to kids may not work, but if they also have a connection to the generation of people who have the disposable income to fund these purchases, then you got something there.

#9 5 years ago

The first pinball I remember as a kid was the nes pinball game, then windows 95(?) had a pinball game I played the shit out of. Now 25 years later I own a real pin.

Kids remember what they played as kids. It’s called nostalgia

3A69E799-DA3F-4587-8000-85C98E4B676F (resized).jpeg3A69E799-DA3F-4587-8000-85C98E4B676F (resized).jpeg37042615-A938-44CB-9C10-0B7B0CBB3C47 (resized).png37042615-A938-44CB-9C10-0B7B0CBB3C47 (resized).png
    #10 5 years ago

Don't listen to the haters luckydogg, pinball is everywhere now and it's fantastic.

#11 5 years ago

Don't think it'll take much to convince kids pinball is fun. Most that have been here
    and seen pinball machines for the first time just jump in. The idea is to plant the seed.
    Two things will discourage kids from getting their own; the crazy cost and lack
    of ability to maintain them.

A neighbor just showed me something he got for Xmas. PinBox 3000, which is
    a cardboard pinball kit. Very well done but a toy at best. A nice gift for young
    kids that might lead to interest in the hobby later on in the same way apps do.
    Steve

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

There are tons of themes that can cross the boundaries of multiple generations without being an "old man's" 60's theme pin. Those should be the focus if companies want to lure in the next generation.
    1) Phineas and Ferb - My son loved that show, and I'd argue that I enjoyed watching it even more. I know many parents in their 30s that share the same sentiment. There's a Doofenshmirtz figure under my monitor at work as I write this. That show was borderline perfect and lends itself very well to a pin.
    2) TMNT - No brainer there.
    3) Spongebob - See #2.
    4) Greta Van Fleet - A band my 10yr old listens to because I got him into them.
    5) Double Dare - A classic game show with endless possibilities for a pin. A must watch when I was growing up. A must watch for him now.
    Themes that strictly go to kids may not work, but if they also have a connection to the generation of people who have the disposable income to fund these purchases, then you got something there.

Agree that all of these themes could be a blast for pinball, especially F&F... except Greta Van Fleet. That band’s SNL appearance last weekend was so uncomfortable!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Agree that all of these themes could be a blast for pinball, especially F&F... except Greta Van Fleet. That band’s SNL appearance last weekend was so uncomfortable!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

I heard, so we didn't watch onDemand Sunday. But nonetheless, they're the only thing current out there with a guitar worth listening too... and finally the general public is realizing that too. This gave me a good laugh. Spot on review for the most overplayed and worst band I've heard in years - https://www.yahoo.com/sports/america-learns-imagine-dragons-terrible-band-cfp-halftime-show-034628170.html

1 week later
    #14 5 years ago

Heres another example from our friends at Disney. I'm at the local Dollarama store and in the kids books section. I found a guardians of the galaxy "look and find" in a pinball theme.

Little subliminal things like this helps keep pinball attractive to the little ones.

20190202_181707 (resized).jpg20190202_181707 (resized).jpg20190202_181727 (resized).jpg20190202_181727 (resized).jpg
    #15 5 years ago

I think the newer LCD screens with improved animations could help attract the younger players. Dialed In is a game that embraces new tech and toys while paying homage to the past. Kids seems to love the phone, drones, and selfie mode.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marketing-pinball-to-the-next-generation-of-kids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.