(Topic ID: 200972)

Market Saturation. Pinball NIB depreciation and future consequences.

By Shapeshifter

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How will NIB depreciation effect your future purchasing? Choose percentage that will change your spending habits.”

• 5% 2 votes
      1%
    • 10% 8 votes
      4%
    • 15% 9 votes
      5%
    • 20% 14 votes
      7%
    • 25% 20 votes
      10%
    • Don't care as pinballs are just expensive toys. 61 votes
      32%
    • I hunt on CL for deals so no change for me! 40 votes
      21%
    • I hate stupid polls! 38 votes
      20%

(192 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0e6369083_1499535115_humpty-dumpty-blog (resized).png
    IMG_3481 (resized).JPG
    e4128b73fbe67b6d8426d4a1ae18ceda065dcf0d.png (resized).jpg
    dunce (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 6 years ago

I think it's becoming more normal for NIB pins to drop in value due to the number of games that are now out including remakes, high LE counts, super / collector editions, and multiple runs of games. If a NIB pin takes a $500-$1000 hit after a year that sucks but isn't the end of the world.

Personally I would rather buy a 2 year old car and save $5k-$10k on it versus buying new. That more then makes up for any depreciation from NIB pins.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

I disagree. Looking at the market section recently, there are Hobbits going for $6,000 and GB LE's and Premiums going for $6500. I would agree with some of the earlier posts that Pro's will probably hold more value than Premium/LE/JJP's because I think the average HUO price ceiling is 6K. I don't think people are wanting to pay more than 5K--6K on a used machine. Will that affect purchasing NIB Prem/LE/JJP's? Time will tell. Have we hit the pricing ceiling? Who knows? But the HUO price ceiling I think is starting to define itself. Not in all cases, but we are talking generalizations, right? It's going to be interesting to see the struggle between what future HUO buyers are willing to pay and what seller's are willing to lose.

There's a big difference though in someone looking for a quick sale versus a normal price. Also, condition, extras, and location heavily effects the price as well. Normal stock Hobbit HUO price is between $6500-$7000 at this time which is still a big hit from new. There's been some sales around $6k but they have been routed games with issues.

I remember seeing one Star Trek LE sell for $6k a while back but they are certainly worth much more then that. However, Star Trek had it's code heavily worked on after that point and prices for the game rised. The Hobbit desperately needs some polish and a final wizard mode added for its prices to start recovering. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

I think code support and whether or not code has been polished has a big influence on resale value. While resale on WOZ's are pretty good today there was a time where they were taking a decent hit due to the state of its code.

#21 6 years ago

I think higher priced games will be the ones taking the largest hit as the customer base at those price points is going to be smaller.

Both Stern and JJP are going run into a problem, and I think they are already there, where their customer base is growing smaller with each price increase. Also, both companies, especially JJP, are removing the rarity factor of LE's by making producing high counts of LE games. If Stern had made 1000 ACDC LE's resale value on the game would be much less then what it is today.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/market-saturation-pinball-nib-depreciation-and-future-consequences?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.