(Topic ID: 200972)

Market Saturation. Pinball NIB depreciation and future consequences.

By Shapeshifter

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How will NIB depreciation effect your future purchasing? Choose percentage that will change your spending habits.”

• 5% 2 votes
      1%
    • 10% 8 votes
      4%
    • 15% 9 votes
      5%
    • 20% 14 votes
      7%
    • 25% 20 votes
      10%
    • Don't care as pinballs are just expensive toys. 61 votes
      32%
    • I hunt on CL for deals so no change for me! 40 votes
      21%
    • I hate stupid polls! 38 votes
      20%

(192 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0e6369083_1499535115_humpty-dumpty-blog (resized).png
    IMG_3481 (resized).JPG
    e4128b73fbe67b6d8426d4a1ae18ceda065dcf0d.png (resized).jpg
    dunce (resized).jpg
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I know I am going to get the 'not another thread' on prices etc, yawn, boring etc so I was reluctant to bother creating a thread.

But, I am genuinely curious how the pinball market may evolve and change as we are entering unprecedented times. Never have we had so many choices at such high prices, in what is a small, niche market.

Also historically pinball prices have been trending upwards for so long now, that the ' it's an investment' approach has worked for many. Add to that in that many see pinball as a cheap hobby if they can get their money back on games.

Nearly every other hobby is subject to heavy depreciation which is totally normal.

Right now it looks like the pinball market is going to return to normality in that much bigger losses on NIB games especially are going to be the new normal. Nothing unusual really.

So, I am curious how this new paradigm will effect your future purchases?

For me a 10% loss on a NIB is part of the hobby but losing 20% plus will push me towards looking for HUO deals.

The market in 2018 is going to offer more choice and saturation will result in bigger losses for all NIB.

So, what is the loss percentage that would make you change your buying habits?

#2 6 years ago

No NIB for me. HUO with mods is the best way to go.

#3 6 years ago

It just depends on the game. I haven't put a percentage on it, but I get where you are coming from. NIB stern is a no for me at the moment. 20-30% loss in two years? (not sure). I would rather buy a pro or premium stern second hand anyhow. CGC game three seems like potential for a smaller loss based on their production schedule and smaller scale operation.

#4 6 years ago

NIB high dollar stuff (LE, premiums, JJP, etc...) is dropping.

NIB pro stuff is taking a normal hit. Keep in mind that many people were buying NIB pros just 2 years ago for $42-4500 and then selling for 5k to match the newest title. Reality is setting in now.

If Stern adjusts down for PRO pricing then it shows they are adjusting to lack of demand. If not, then there are still enough dummies out there.

Aside from that, prices are still going up on all the classics and good games form the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

I buy mainly old stuff, rare stuff, and sub 2k so my buying habits wont change.

#5 6 years ago

If one thinks of pinball as an investment, it's likely they don't have much experience in either pinball or investing.

I don't see that there is any percent I would put on all of pinball in terms of depreciation. There is just too much variability. Out of habit, I do calculate the percentage of loss I'm willing to take on a game when selling it. It actually helps me sell when listing a game or deciding to lower a price if the game isn't selling. When I see it in terms of percent vs dollars, it bothers me less and helps me be more objective.

We are a niche hobby that's small enough we are all lumped together in places like Pinside. Within our small group are lots of different hobbyists. We have collectors, restorers, players, competitors, modders and others all in different income groups. Even within similar income groups, we tend to disagree about these topics.

For my personal threshold, I've bought and sold enough games from NIB, HUO, high end, players and left for dead that I have some personal levels in mind. For the time being, around 6K is all I'm willing to pay for a game. I would much prefer to not go over 5K. That leaves me Stern Pro and Spooky for now. I'm totally happy to, and actually prefer, buy used and HUO. Stern LE and now NIB premiums have out priced me. JJP has left the ball park completely. When it comes to late model games from the last 3-4 years, I will not pay more than my "NIB shipped" price for a used game, no matter how nice it's modded. I see many used Stern pros for sale with a 5 as their first number. I have no ill will towards the sellers. I can get one shipped to my door, brand new in a box for very close to those prices, sometimes less.

My most recent example. I've been saving up some rainy day "got to have it" funds. I've got enough to get an LE or JJP game. After weighing all the differences for a few months, I sold a game at a loss, bought a used Aerosmith Pro for less than I sold my game. I then used a small portion of my rainy day fund for a Telescope and still have most of my fund.

#6 6 years ago

Think of them as depreciating assets.

#7 6 years ago

To me, to buy something, own it for a few years, play with it, enjoy it, then sell it for 75% of the cost of what I paid is still a great value compared to literally anything else I can think of.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

To me, to buy something, own it for a few years, play with it, enjoy it, then sell it for 75% of the cost of what I paid is still a great value compared to literally anything else I can think of.

Agree.

That is, IF a person keeps a game for a few years or so.

Not so easy now to buy, play a few months, flip, next one etc.

#9 6 years ago

If people would just put them on $1 per play then take the money out before you sell for less, you will feel much better about this.

$1 per play to have a game in your own home is a bargain!

Feels pretty good to me if you can own a NIB pinball machine for a full year, put 1000 plays on it, and sell it for 1k less than you paid.

I would say if the price has dropped more then 1k, then you just need to play it more before you sell

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Agree.
    That is, IF a person keeps a game for a few years or so.
    Not so easy now to buy, play a few months, flip, next one etc.

Buying a new car every year is also more expensive than every 3-5 years. If someone wants a new car every year, be prepared to pay for that privilege.

I'd apply the same thinking to owning a pinball for 3 months. and certainly a NIB.

#11 6 years ago

I'm curious what was the impetus behind this post? Was there some event I'm not aware of where all the prices came down? Or are you purely speculating based on the abundance of NIB options and the limited market of buyers?

Specifially this quote from the OP: "Right now it looks like the pinball market is going to return to normality in that much bigger losses on NIB games especially are going to be the new normal." What is the basis for that?

thanks!

#12 6 years ago

I host a pinball league as well as other tournaments, and in our league, the norm is $10/pp for coin drop (all games on free play). Over time, this will offset some of the purchase costs, and I get to meet and play with some great people at the same time. Sometimes the "profit" is not always reflected in dollar signs.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Specifially this quote from the OP: "Right now it looks like the pinball market is going to return to normality in that much bigger losses on NIB games especially are going to be the new normal." What is the basis for that?
    thanks!

There is no basis for it, it's purely made up. Fact.

#14 6 years ago

I've never bought a NIB pin, so it doesn't affect my buying habits personally. I thought NIB pin prices were too high when they were $4,200, so you can imagine what I think of prices right now. I buy used. For me, I just want a game that looks good and plays like it should. It doesn't need to be HUO or a museum piece. It certainly doesn't need to be loaded with high priced mods, in fact I prefer that it isn't. I prefer to buy low and sell just below market for an easier sale when the time comes. Some new games are good, some are great...but none are worth $7,000+ to me personally. I love to play, but I would never get that much use or enjoyment out of them to justify the cost so I buy what I like used and play the rest on route or in other's collections.

#15 6 years ago

I think it's becoming more normal for NIB pins to drop in value due to the number of games that are now out including remakes, high LE counts, super / collector editions, and multiple runs of games. If a NIB pin takes a $500-$1000 hit after a year that sucks but isn't the end of the world.

Personally I would rather buy a 2 year old car and save $5k-$10k on it versus buying new. That more then makes up for any depreciation from NIB pins.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I disagree. Looking at the market section recently, there are Hobbits going for $6,000 and GB LE's and Premiums going for $6500. I would agree with some of the earlier posts that Pro's will probably hold more value than Premium/LE/JJP's because I think the average HUO price ceiling is 6K. I don't think people are wanting to pay more than 5K--6K on a used machine. Will that affect purchasing NIB Prem/LE/JJP's? Time will tell. Have we hit the pricing ceiling? Who knows? But the HUO price ceiling I think is starting to define itself. Not in all cases, but we are talking generalizations, right? It's going to be interesting to see the struggle between what future HUO buyers are willing to pay and what seller's are willing to lose.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

I disagree. Looking at the market section recently, there are Hobbits going for $6,000 and GB LE's and Premiums going for $6500. I would agree with some of the earlier posts that Pro's will probably hold more value than Premium/LE/JJP's because I think the average HUO price ceiling is 6K. I don't think people are wanting to pay more than 5K--6K on a used machine. Will that affect purchasing NIB Prem/LE/JJP's? Time will tell. Have we hit the pricing ceiling? Who knows? But the HUO price ceiling I think is starting to define itself. Not in all cases, but we are talking generalizations, right? It's going to be interesting to see the struggle between what future HUO buyers are willing to pay and what seller's are willing to lose.

There's a big difference though in someone looking for a quick sale versus a normal price. Also, condition, extras, and location heavily effects the price as well. Normal stock Hobbit HUO price is between $6500-$7000 at this time which is still a big hit from new. There's been some sales around $6k but they have been routed games with issues.

I remember seeing one Star Trek LE sell for $6k a while back but they are certainly worth much more then that. However, Star Trek had it's code heavily worked on after that point and prices for the game rised. The Hobbit desperately needs some polish and a final wizard mode added for its prices to start recovering. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

I think code support and whether or not code has been polished has a big influence on resale value. While resale on WOZ's are pretty good today there was a time where they were taking a decent hit due to the state of its code.

#18 6 years ago

Agree with your comments Panzerfreak. Always hard to predict long term trends using short term evidence. Guess time will tell. Interesting to see if there will be a difference between the NIB price ceiling and the HUO price ceiling and how those will drive the market.

#19 6 years ago

I remember when I got into the Hobby and stern pros were $4200 and the bubble was definitely about to burst.

#20 6 years ago

I was told the other day the bubble is about to burst and we are all going to be stuck with $100k in games that are worth $10k. I don't think so, there is a huge influx of people joining the hobby. Just in Nashville alone there are loads of new folks getting in the hobby and buying like crazy. People freak out once per year like this. Everything is fine. There are plenty of folks willing to lose $1000 on a NIB to enjoy it for a year or so. I think people are just saving money at the moment to buy JJP, Houdini, and the next Stern and CGC remake. It will all be back to normal soon enough.

#21 6 years ago

I think higher priced games will be the ones taking the largest hit as the customer base at those price points is going to be smaller.

Both Stern and JJP are going run into a problem, and I think they are already there, where their customer base is growing smaller with each price increase. Also, both companies, especially JJP, are removing the rarity factor of LE's by making producing high counts of LE games. If Stern had made 1000 ACDC LE's resale value on the game would be much less then what it is today.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think higher priced games will be the ones taking the largest hit as the customer base at those price points is going to be smaller.
    Both Stern and JJP are going run into a problem, and I think they are already there, where their customer base is growing smaller with each price increase. Also, both companies, especially JJP, are removing the rarity factor of LE's by making producing high counts of LE games. If Stern had made 1000 ACDC LE's resale value on the game would be much less then what it is today.

I am a little disappointed that JJP makes a bunch of LEs. I think a LE should be limited to 250 or 500 tops. That way the ones of us dropping $9k can get most of our money back. If they make 2000 LEs then it loses its luster market is flooded then we take a larger hit on resale.

#23 6 years ago

I imagine there's some parallel universe where Kaneda has a beard and every two weeks there's a thread on Pinside where someone asks if the market is dangerously underserved and if pinball prices are going to be rising astronomically anytime soon.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm curious what was the impetus behind this post? Was there some event I'm not aware of where all the prices came down? Or are you purely speculating based on the abundance of NIB options and the limited market of buyers?
    thanks!

The impetus was actually seeing the latest RZ games for sale as they are now 20% off NIB prices so whilst there is no correlation to other manufactures, it just got me pondering.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is that an issue for you?
    There is a drain feature if this conversation bores you

#25 6 years ago

The impetus was actually seeing the latest RZ games for sale as they are now 20% off NIB prices so whilst there is no correlation to other manufactures, it just got me pondering.

Games that are not as well received are always going to drop some in value. I personally really like RZ but it's an odd game and not for everyone. It would be like me saying RZ, TH, WrestleMania, and GOT are taking big loses there fore the market is saturated. To do that you have to ignore the pile of games out of production that are going up in value though. Good games that are no longer being made will always go up in value if pinball continues to grow and they are well maintained.

#26 6 years ago

If announcing drains is now a moderated offense, shouldn't cajoling people to drain threads as well?

In the future, everything will be moderated in 15 minutes.

And RZ prices are dropping because the game sucks and way too many people bought them to scalp. Doesn't have anything to do with the bubble bursting for the 20th time this year.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If announcing drains is now a moderated offense, shouldn't cajoling people to drain threads as well?
    In the future, everything will be moderated in 15 minutes.

That I did not know. Wow.

I am preparing to be moderated

Knew I shouldn't have bothered starting a thread......

Ok, to re-phrase.

The next few years will be pretty unique for pinball and pinball manufacturers.

Beyond that I have no forkin clue how it will all pan out

dunce (resized).jpgdunce (resized).jpg

#28 6 years ago

Gems like this are why I ♡ Levi...

#29 6 years ago

Aah, thanks - that game has always been a head scratcher to me. It's RIGHT up my alley (I do really like the whole RZ brand, sometimes like his music.. tried to like his movies.. lol) and the lower prices on those have got me thinking 'hmm... do we have room?' Of course we do not... Appreciate the insight

#30 6 years ago

Well it's WAY more than RZ

Look at TH and every other pin priced above $8k

And it extends to the high end USED market to

Like Frolic, buy what u like and can afford, enjoy it and don't worry about

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well it's WAY more than RZ
    Look at TH and every other pin priced above $8k
    And it extends to the high end USED market to
    Like Frolic, buy what u like and can afford, enjoy it and don't worry about

I wish I were in your area - I am not seeing anything resembling a price drop in our area. Maybe it will sweep our way soon

#32 6 years ago

If the entire market tanks...I still have some fun games to play (although it might get a little tougher to maintain them).

I "hope" they are worth something when/if I go to sell them...if not it was fun while it lasted.

#33 6 years ago

Talked to a few folks selling who say nothing but lowball cash or trades for other pins have been offered.

Damn pirates have sunk the market...

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I wish I were in your area - I am not seeing anything resembling a price drop in our area. Maybe it will sweep our way soon

I'm just paying attention to the Market and for sale ads over the past several years and it's been a clear shift since all these new high priced pins are hitting

Could see it coming like a hurricane out parked out in the gulf

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

it was fun while it lasted.

Words to live by!

#36 6 years ago

Will someone buy my MM before its not worth anything....

#37 6 years ago

I can’t wait for the bubble to burst, then I can buy all the machines I want for cheap woooohoo, burst it!!!!

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

I can’t wait for the bubble to burst, then I can buy all the machines I want for cheap woooohoo, burst it!!!!

Yeah I've been hoping the bottom falls out for awHile now.

#39 6 years ago

Yep the bottom is falling out. That's why there's no more competition for reasonably priced games. /s

#40 6 years ago

Even the used market seems a little slow. Everybody probably already spent all their pin money during the spring and summer.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

The problem is, there's literally hundreds of people here waiting to pounce on the same deals. There's literally hundreds of people who aren't here who are waiting for the same thing.

Which is why I can't imagine it actually happening.

Sorry to burst your bubble!

#42 6 years ago

I think these prices are starting to hit a ceiling in which the high end market will pay. That being said those 200 JJPOTC CE's will all sell. however I believe there is an untapped market in the lower end between $3-5000K that would get a lot of newer players to purchase. If that's even feasible from a production standpoint. Every person who loves pinball has a price point whether its $10 once every couple weeks on route or $10k NIB.

We also cant overlook the trade market. people have money in this hobby and are willing trade up and down to buy expensive pins. The more pins people buy and pay off debts you end up with a higher pinball equity. We all know they spawn like gremlins once you buy your first . maybe some will sell 2 games to buy that JJPOTC CE because its a dream theme. Maybe someone will trade plus cash. I think there are enough new people joining the hobby to sustain these prices for a time but I agree with the OP the NIB depreciation will be the first sign off a price point correction.

#43 6 years ago

I think we can clearly differentiate between the lower end market for older games, the sweet spot of pricing, versus the $8k plus high end market, and maybe $7k plus for that matter.

The $2k-$5k market isn't gonna pop, I wouldn't think, plenty of people that love pinball to soak those up with a lot less risk.

Condition is king. It's all about the shooter lane!

#44 6 years ago

CL is dead. The supply of 80's, 90s and early 2Ks route beaters to shop and play and flip is dried up and now people think their Hurricanes and No Fears are all worth 3K+. So since everyone wants so much for used games why not buy new ones for a little more became the mantra... AND those games are gonna be moved on someday for the next new game, and hopefully 2 or 3 generations down are those new "route" games for people to be able to get started on.

Prices are prices. If you buy new, you're gonna lose money, so put some plays on that thing!

#45 6 years ago

Look at the Winston Salem auction thread.. both that auction and another mentioned in CA had way HIGH prices on everything 5K and under. Looks like the 'bubble burst' is mostly affecting recent, expensive titles that turned out to be not all that great (BM66, GB, Hobbit)

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Look at the Winston Salem auction thread.. both that auction and another mentioned in CA had way HIGH prices on everything 5K and under. Looks like the 'bubble burst' is mostly affecting recent, expensive titles that turned out to be not all that great (BM66, GB, Hobbit)

yes it depends on the game. people are still paying bigger dollars for TWDLE, Metallica MOP, WOZ Emerald City, LOTRLE (this one is a headscratcher to me. not the game just the LE)

All that being said the Canadian market differs slightly to the US as there are even less of each of these used for sale.

#47 6 years ago

If you have the right Stern games in your collection that you bought HUO after shopping carefully in the past two years you are probably safe from depreciation to the the high costs of the new games, the lack of finished code on the new games and the obvious manufacturing quality problems in the past two years.

The guys paying $9000 for new games are probably going to take a depreciation hit, but the high prices for new games will probably push many pinheads towards nice HUO games. Hence, prices on them will probably stay steady or increase.

#48 6 years ago

No matter which way things go, I win.

If the market goes up, my games are worth more.

If the market goes down, I can pick up projects for less cash.

#49 6 years ago

Resale value is going to have a deep impact on games 3-4 years and older. It will have little to no impact on newer games such as DI, POTC, Houdini, etc. Stern owners will suffer the greatest losses in terms of depreciation.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm curious what was the impetus behind this post?

Ahhhhhhhh Impetus!!!

Sorry anytime I see that word this song just pops in my head.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/market-saturation-pinball-nib-depreciation-and-future-consequences?hl=tbutler6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.