(Topic ID: 200972)

Market Saturation. Pinball NIB depreciation and future consequences.

By Shapeshifter

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How will NIB depreciation effect your future purchasing? Choose percentage that will change your spending habits.”

• 5% 2 votes
      1%
    • 10% 8 votes
      4%
    • 15% 9 votes
      5%
    • 20% 14 votes
      7%
    • 25% 20 votes
      10%
    • Don't care as pinballs are just expensive toys. 61 votes
      32%
    • I hunt on CL for deals so no change for me! 40 votes
      21%
    • I hate stupid polls! 38 votes
      20%

(192 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0e6369083_1499535115_humpty-dumpty-blog (resized).png
    IMG_3481 (resized).JPG
    e4128b73fbe67b6d8426d4a1ae18ceda065dcf0d.png (resized).jpg
    dunce (resized).jpg
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Resale value is going to have a deep impact on games 3-4 years and older. It will have little to no impact on newer games such as DI, POTC, Houdini, etc. Stern owners will suffer the greatest losses in terms of depreciation.

Games once out of production tend to go up. So resale of those 3-4 year old games is going to be much better then newer games. At this point JJP games are by far taking the largest hit so nothing about your post is really accurate at the moment. Why would someone buy a POTC HUO for a very little savings if they can just get it new.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

To me, to buy something, own it for a few years, play with it, enjoy it, then sell it for 75% of the cost of what I paid is still a great value compared to literally anything else I can think of.

Agreed.

Only other hobby that somewhat holds its value other than pinball machines is collecting guns. Especially WW2 and Civil War era weapons. I have a few but not as fun as pinball! plus ammo is expensive.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Resale value is going to have a deep impact on games 3-4 years and older. It will have little to no impact on newer games such as DI, POTC, Houdini, etc. Stern owners will suffer the greatest losses in terms of depreciation.

Sorry, I'm not buying that Stern Pros are going to depreciate over the next few years as much as Hobbit already has. Stern LEs and Premiums could see depreciation reach 25%+ like Hobbit, but I just don't see it with Pros unless we're talking about a total miss like WWE.

I'm also not sure why you think resale concern wouldn't impact buying decisions on new premium (i.e. expensive) games like DI, JJPPOTC, or Houdini. You can't buy a high-end machine today (obviously including Stern LEs) without looking at Hobbit and wondering what kind of haircut you're going to take down the line.

#54 6 years ago

Who want to pay more games with incomplete code,

#whereisthecode

and disclaimers added for playfield quality? (instead of correcting the root cause)

e4128b73fbe67b6d8426d4a1ae18ceda065dcf0d.png (resized).jpge4128b73fbe67b6d8426d4a1ae18ceda065dcf0d.png (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago

I feel a bubble any minute.

IMG_3481 (resized).JPGIMG_3481 (resized).JPG

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

and disclaimers added for playfield quality? (instead of correcting the root cause)

You're probably aware, but Stern's written warranty has never covered they playfield. Not back in the day of LOTR, not last year, and not now. Go read it -- it covers three things, and three things only: CPU, boards, and display. That's it. So this new disclaimer language does nothing to change Stern's written warranty, which already excluded the entire playfield.

So what does this disclaimer language mean? It seems to be putting in writing what Stern's in-practice policy already was. As home sales have increased, they're getting claims they never would have before (an operator in 2010 was not going to try to return a playfield over insert ghosting). They've seemingly adopted a policy of allowing for returns if there are "major" defects on a playfield (more than X ghosted inserts, significant warping, etc.), but not "minor" defects (mild ghosting on just a few inserts).

Should Stern figure out why they're having all the ghosting problems? Heck yeah. It's costing them a lot of good will, and presumably a lot of money doing playfield swaps. But the new language on the front of the manual doesn't seem to indicate any change to their "unwritten warranty" policies.

#58 6 years ago

NIB pinball are now depreciating like normal. 10-15% off the top. Evan a game like AC/DC Vault is getting offered up at 11% off purchase price within weeks.

This is the cost of the hobby. For a while, it was free. And that was AWESOME. You could buy a game, and sell it a year later for more! You didn't even need to be that careful because prices were going up so fast.

Now we are back to reality. There is a tax for NIB. You try to sell it for what you have into it, and it sits because (hint), you paid too much. Situation normal.

(And as always, a bargain price will have plenty of interest)

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Games once out of production tend to go up. So resale of those 3-4 year old games is going to be much better then newer games. At this point JJP games are by far taking the largest hit so nothing about your post is really accurate at the moment. Why would someone buy a POTC HUO for a very little savings if they can just get it new.

Quoted from fosaisu:

Sorry, I'm not buying that Stern Pros are going to depreciate over the next few years as much as Hobbit already has. Stern LEs and Premiums could see depreciation reach 25%+ like Hobbit, but I just don't see it with Pros unless we're talking about a total miss like WWE.
    I'm also not sure why you think resale concern wouldn't impact buying decisions on new premium (i.e. expensive) games like DI, JJPPOTC, or Houdini. You can't buy a high-end machine today (obviously including Stern LEs) without looking at Hobbit and wondering what kind of haircut you're going to take down the line.

Gentlemen, do not question. The great Egg has spoken!

Errr...No...Nooooooooooooo!!!

0e6369083_1499535115_humpty-dumpty-blog (resized).png0e6369083_1499535115_humpty-dumpty-blog (resized).png

#60 6 years ago

Somebody has to pay the dummy tax to keep the govt running. Errrr pinball industry

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The problem is, there's literally hundreds of people here waiting to pounce on the same deals. There's literally hundreds of people who aren't here who are waiting for the same thing.
    Which is why I can't imagine it actually happening.
    Sorry to burst your bubble!

Ya I just have to pay a little more than them and it’s mine lol

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Ahhhhhhhh Impetus!!!
    » YouTube video
    Sorry anytime I see that word this song just pops in my head.

Niiiiice! Just saw the boys not too long ago -

#63 6 years ago

I seem to recall a thread like this about 5-6 years ago with all the same arguments. It was a big nothingburger....just like this one.

#65 6 years ago

I do not think things are really all that slow. I have sold 4 and bought 3 in last 2 weeks. There are some good deals and trades to be made right now. Great time for pinball with all the options currently and coming in the future. I am going to watch out for really nice deals of people unloading games for new stuff. There are so many people getting into pinball right now. Out of the 4 games I sold 2 of them went to guys that have only been in the hobby for 1-2 months.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/market-saturation-pinball-nib-depreciation-and-future-consequences/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.