6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by markp99
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

My workflow:

I can keep up with my FAVS and other assorted machine-specific topics for which I have created shortcuts (GoT, AFMr, JP, etc.), reading the ALL the new topics/posts daily. I already HIDE the sub-forums that do not interest me. I will occasionally DRAIN high-traffic threads that I will never open.

FRONTPAGE still has lots of threads that do not interest me, but I really don't want to DRAIN them. Instead, I click them, then hit the BACK button immediately, essentially marking then as READ. I typically will scan thru and read all the new posts on the first 3-4 pages on FRONTPAGE, either reading or "Marking as Read" - that's a lot of clicking.

My Request:

Button/Option to "Mark all Topics as 'Read'"?

Other forums I visit have this option for either the "Current Open SubForum", or "All SubForums". I guess this has established my workflow habits. Mark all as READ at the end of the day, start the next day with a clean slate - just seeing new threads/posts as UNREAD since my last visit at the top of the page.

Is this possible, or already a feature here I have missed?

Thanks!

mark

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

My Request:
    Button/Option to "Mark all Topics as 'Read'"?

The problem is that there is no easy way for me to manage all that information.

When you drain or unvisit a topic, a database record is made to keep that information. Then, when I fetch topics, I cross-reference with those stored drains and unvisits. That currently works pretty well.

But allowing mass-draining or "visiting" of topics would create an issue since Pinside currently holds over 200,000 topics and imagine storing a "read" flag for (even a small subset of) our 44,000 members. I fear that would generate way too much data and make the site a lot slower etc.

The only way I can imagine to do this would be by storing some kind of arbitrary date, e.g. when you last visited. Then hide everything that was there before that date. Or something like that.

#3 6 years ago

Mark, you should use the Topics which you Viewed with the Hide Idle setting on.

It will keep your 'active' threads on top of the list and will only show those items that have new postings since you last read it.

To remove topics you don't want to see anymore or opened by accident, just unvisit them using the buttons on the top or bottom of the thread. It won't get rid of all topics, as there will be more at the bottom, but this makes it very easy to keep on top of the threads I like.

Then a couple of times a day I look at the Topics started Recently. I hardly ever go to the main page anymore.

Robin,

I know you can't drain or unvisit all the threads, but a very useful feature would be to add a date filter like your Hide Idle filter.

Something like Only Display Topics with activity in the last 1/7/30 days.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks Robin,

Not sure how VBForum and XenForo manage this.

As you note, based on date might be workable: Something like: "Mark Today's Topics as Read"

Thanks!

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Mark, you should use the Topics which you Viewed with the Hide Idle setting on.

Yep, I use Hide Idle (awesome) in Favorites, but not available on the Frontpage.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mark-all-topics-as-read?hl=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.