(Topic ID: 113234)

Mario Brothers => Left Flipper Coil Hot!

By bonedoc

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a gottlieb mario brothers. The left lower flipper coil gets hot. It starts when I start a game, and it is slow. It takes about 5-10 minutes until the fuse blows, and it doesnt matter if someone is using the flipper or not.

-The diode is good
-both coil windings have good resistance
-The EOS is functioning properly
-I cleaned the EOS and flipper switches
-the flipper switch cap measures good
-The wiring is correct
-I dont SEE any shorts

Anyone have a clue what may be wrong!? It is a system 3.

#2 9 years ago

EOS shorted and when it opens doesn't matter ?

No binding on flipper mech ? Tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper ?

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

It appears the flipper is getting power without pushing the flipper button if it gets hot and blows the fuse without using the flipper.

It could be the diode leaking. Try replacing the diode as the diode test isn't 100% conclusive for a good diode.

#4 9 years ago

Sys 3 flipper circuit is pretty simple since Gottlieb never went full digital.

When you turn the machine on, even before starting a game, you should get around 60v at the flipper coils. This comes through the A15 sensor board. The chain is

48v supply > A15 board > anode side of coil

The flippers (as well as slings and pops) are enabled by the Q relay on the relay panel. This is normally controlled by Sol 31 (Q32).

If everything is working properly, and the game is running, when you press the flipper button, you complete the circuit to ground. The chain is:

48v supply > Q relay > fuse > cathode side of coil > flipper switch > ground bus.

The optocoupler on the sensor board monitors the power and triggers the two 2N3906s which are part of the switch matrix when the buttons are pressed. Since the board always gets power, the flipper switches are always active, which is why you can perform a switch test or step through rules on a Sys3 before starting a game.

If the coil is getting hot and the fuse is blowing when the game is running but not in attract mode, I'd go with the diode as well being the problem. Unless there's a wiring problem or a short somewhere in the circuit, or the coil is bad (which you say are all ok), there's not much else that could be causing the problem.

viperrwk

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for all your help! I changed the diode just to be sure, and still got hot. I decided to change the snubber cap on the flipper and that did the trick! Typically, when the flipper switch cap going short, the flipper will lock upward.

Mine wasnt locking, it was just slowing getting hot. My capacitance meter only goes to 200uF, so testing it wouldnt work. Since that was the last thing left, I went ahead and changed it....and Im running fine! No coil damage, thank god.

#6 9 years ago

Glad you found the bad actor. Weird problem -- good thing the fuse was blowing before the flipper coil was smoking.

3 months later
#7 9 years ago

Thread resurrection......I'm having a similar problem with my system 3. What the hell is a snubber cap?

#8 9 years ago

The big yellow one on the EOS switch.

viperrwk

#9 9 years ago

Ahhhhh......quite few years in the hobby and still learning something new. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mario-brothers-left-flipper-coil-hot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.