Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by tilted81
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20151015_180152_(resized).jpg
20151015_175703_(resized).jpg
20151015_165407_(resized).jpg
20151015_131948_(resized).jpg
20151015_131938_(resized).jpg
lc_(resized).jpg
T2_(resized).jpeg
T2_skull_(resized).jpg
T2.jpg
20160725180551441_(resized).jpg
20160725180603067_(resized).jpg
20160725180623350_(resized).jpg
20160725180636256_(resized).jpg
20160725180710893_(resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I ended up with Marco Specialties Terminator 2 Skull in a pile of other parts. I had heard that it didn't look very good, and I can see how someone could be sorely disappointed with it. There is very little detail on it, making it look very flat and cartoon-like.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8569

Comparison photos between marco's skull and an original skull.

20160725180551441_(resized).jpg20160725180710893_(resized).jpg20160725180603067_(resized).jpg20160725180623350_(resized).jpg20160725180636256_(resized).jpg

[edit]: Another comparison: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-clubmembers-only/page/56#post-2140236

#2 2 years ago

Which one is the Marco skull? The one on the left?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Which one is the Marco skull? The one on the left?

Yes...

#4 2 years ago

I see not as much detail & lacking the chrome look on the Marco skull.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I see not as much detail & lacking the chrome look on the Marco skull.

Yep, exactly.

#6 2 years ago

Yeah that skull on the right is way more detailed and authentic looking.....that Marco one looks like a silver water balloon.

#7 2 years ago

$36 worth of disappointment.

#8 2 years ago

IMO better than the alternative, which is a broken original skull

#9 2 years ago

looks exactly like the web picture

#10 2 years ago

wow what a piece of shit!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

IMO better than the alternative, which is a broken original skull

I've never seen a broken original skull and I've owned probably 10 unshopped T2s.

I think a lot are replaced because that's what people do these days, replace stuff.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've never seen a broken original skull and I've owned probably 10 unshopped T2s.
I think a lot are replaced because that's what people do these days, replace stuff.

I have encountered a pretty beat up skull, the bottom part was partailly broken and cracked:

T2.jpg

#13 2 years ago

Buy the one from PSPA.
Faithful reproduction.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Buy the one from PSPA.
Faithful reproduction.

link for OP? I don't see anything on PSPA. why suggest something that's not available?

#15 2 years ago

What's PSPA?

#17 2 years ago

Looks like it was just Vacuformed off an original rather than molded and lost all its edges/detail.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I usually see broken chins and cracks on the sides near the brackets.

#21 2 years ago

I think whoever made the Marco skull master made a negative from the INSIDE of the skull instead of the OUTSIDE, that's why it has less detail. 10 years ago I stupidly did the same thing with my broken TFTC topper. After I realized what I did I yelled "DUMBASS!" for the rest of the day.

#22 2 years ago

I have a T2 skull from Pinball Inc. (see pic) that was made from the original Williams mold. When I compare with an original one in my machine, it looks pretty spot-on.

It looks like Starship Fantasy, which took over the Pinball Inc. pinball ramp business, still sells them:
http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Terminator-2-Skull

T2_skull_(resized).jpg

#23 2 years ago

That replacement does look terrible. I've always been impressed by how GOOD the original one looks, when it's really just a cheap plastic mask.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm not seeing the skull anywhere on their site.

Sorry, you're correct. I find no trace of it either. I guess I was simply excited to post the link for PSPA when someone mentioned the site, as they came through for me with some hard to find items before, and I just assumed if anyone had it, they would.

#25 2 years ago

My original was busted to sh@t on the chin. The starship fantasy one is the real deal.

#26 2 years ago

Skulls are now sold out from Mark at PSPA.
I have not looked in a while.
Eclipse Pinball had a few, but those are also sold out.
Looks like SSF, or NOS are the best options now.

#27 2 years ago

The NOS skull I picked up has a crack through the middle of the chin that I didn't notice when I originally bought it. Sigh.

Has anyone come up with a good way to reinforce the skulls since they're made of such fragile plastic?

#28 2 years ago

You can buy these skulls for about $10+ Requires some cutting in the back to fit. But I think it is a much better option. As well cheaper and indestructible, a ball will never break it.

lc_(resized).jpg

The T2 skull from Loot-crate is a bit smaller but looks pretty good. I clear coated mine so it has more gloss: ebay.com link » Like

#29 2 years ago

Most original ones I've seen were broken. Or in some case, completely missing, other than what was left of the original riveted to the mounting bracket. Same goes with the H/K ship.

I've seen disappointing repros - probably the ones sold by Starship Fantasy would be the safest bet.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

looks exactly like the web picture

Marco only updated their web picture after I bought a skull from them and complained about the difference because their website had a picture of an original skull. They did update their picture at least so you can see what you're getting, but they stated that they "stand behind their supplier" and there was no issue. I ended up getting one from starship that is much closer to the original design. Pics and more details below:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-clubmembers-only/page/56#post-2140236

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

You can buy these skulls for about $10+ Requires some cutting in the back to fit. But I think it is a much better option. As well cheaper and indestructible, a ball will never break it.

Yup, I used these skulls in the three T2s I restored and modded. Just need to open a spot in the back of the skull with a dremel to be able to wire in LEDs for the eyes. Easiest method is using a small LED strip and hot gluing inside behind the eyes. Small holes also need to be drilled in the eyes too. The minimal effort is well worth it.

20151015_131938_(resized).jpg
20151015_131948_(resized).jpg
20151015_165407_(resized).jpg
20151015_175703_(resized).jpg
20151015_180152_(resized).jpg

#32 2 years ago

^^^^ That looks sweet ^^^^

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Has anyone come up with a good way to reinforce the skulls since they're made of such fragile plastic?

Fiberglass cloth and resin.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The NOS skull I picked up has a crack through the middle of the chin that I didn't notice when I originally bought it. Sigh.

Of the three T2s I have owned, I filled the back sides with soft foam, coated the foam with resin and fiber cloth, and reinforced the bottom jaw by form fitting sheet metal behind the plastic. Never broke another. The EBay skull looks very sharp with the white teeth instead of painting the reproductions.

#35 2 years ago

I have a skull - but decided to go with the Loot Crate skull because it looks so much better.

1 year later
#36 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, I used these skulls in the three T2s I restored and modded. Just need to open a spot in the back of the skull with a dremel to be able to wire in LEDs for the eyes. Easiest method is using a small LED strip and hot gluing inside behind the eyes. Small holes also need to be drilled in the eyes too. The minimal effort is well worth it.

What is the best way to mount the loot crate skull? My existing skull is held on with a zip tie and I don't really see any brackets. Any suggestions are appreciated as I'm going to order one of the loot crate skulls as well. Looks like a solid alternative.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from BryanBPH:

What is the best way to mount the loot crate skull? My existing skull is held on with a zip tie and I don't really see any brackets. Any suggestions are appreciated as I'm going to order one of the loot crate skulls as well. Looks like a solid alternative.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-clubmembers-only/page/73. Here is my write up from 2015

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
$ 28.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
€ 3.70
$ 19.99
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Newnan, GA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, WI
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside