(Topic ID: 146241)

Marcos is great, but they just ruined my Christmas!

By WesleyCowan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by sckurk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Okay I'm pissed at Marcos! Okay not really, I'm truly joking. I asked for gift certificates for Christmas from them. Well a few family members got on their site and they don't sell them! I realize you can't hear my tone as I'm typing so letting you know I'm smiling and laughing and I'm really not even the least bit mad at all. However, besides giving them some more attention on Pinside maybe someone there will read this and fix it in time for those of us wanting Christmas gift certificates in time for this year. Please! I really like Marcos and think they run a great business. So I hope persons responding to this thread won't turn it into a complaint thread. I just thought maybe I give them a little well intentioned and joking nudge.

#2 8 years ago

That's kind of surprising. Bay Area Amusements has them. Pinball Life has them.

#3 8 years ago

I asked the Marcos phone rep about gift certificates last week and was told they get many requests year after year around the holidays but have decided not to offer them.

#4 8 years ago

Who couldn't use gift certificates from Marcos?
    They have so many items in stock and if you want it in 2 or 3 days that's no problem either.Their shipping is Top Notch unlike some other vendors....

#5 8 years ago

Gift certs? Bah humbug. Give cash.

#6 8 years ago

Cointaker has them...

#7 8 years ago

Money order made out to Marco.....boom.....done... ................Joey

#8 8 years ago

Shipping top notch? Guessing only if you live in the USA

#9 8 years ago

I have always received great service from Marco, but I have never understood this either. Seems they are losing lots of potential business by not offering gift certificates. What pinhead wouldn't want a GC to Marco. By not offering them they are sending customers to other vendors that do offer gift certificates. Come on Marco join the 21st century here.

#10 8 years ago

Gift cards (certificates) are a huge moneymaker for businesses. It's as good as a sale on your books. Why would you not want to offer them? Kind of surprising.

#11 8 years ago

I don't like gift cards and I tell people I do not want them. There is the chance they will get lost or never used. Cash is king or I tell my wife to just get the parts I need,she is good that way.

#12 8 years ago

Comet Pinball also sells gift certificates. Or otherwise Optix Maximus bulbs are as good as cash.

#13 8 years ago

Give them an Amex or Visa gift card, they can use it wherever they want

#14 8 years ago

Damn! That would've been great if Marco had gift cards! It would've really helped me make the christmas "wishlist" a lot easier, and it would've helped with Wizard Blocks development!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

There is the chance they will get lost or never used.

Even a better reason why Marco should offer them. Free money if they are never redeemed

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Even a better reason why Marco should offer them. Free money if they are never redeemed

No question about it. Gift cards are great for the seller.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball4ever:

Gift cards (certificates) are a huge moneymaker for businesses. It's as good as a sale on your books. Why would you not want to offer them? Kind of surprising.

It's not just a sale on the books, it's extra money for nothing, considering how many of them go unused or only partially used.

#18 8 years ago

I have to chime in and say I have been nothing but happy and pleased with Marco (http://marcospec.com)
    and their website and phone support. Im a Gottlieb EM collector so I mostly deal with Pinball resource http://www.pbresource.com)
    but recently acquired a 1990 Bally Dr. Dude that needed new displays. Their website is easy to navigate and puts everything they have for my game in one area. I recently had to call them because I wanted to order some Molex connectors but I wanted to make sure I ordered the correct ones. The customer service rep said he wanted to double check on the sizes for me and called me back within 15 minutes. Super nice guy.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Free money for the State.

Many states don't allow unclaimed giftcard money to be kept by the company.

For example, in 2008 — the most recent year for which data could be obtained — New York state collected $9.6 million in unredeemed gift cards.

-

It's the same as when you pay your car off early and never see that Ford sent you a 1/2 month refund check. Ford does not get to keep that money. After 2 years unclaimed, it gets taken by the government.

https://www.usa.gov/unclaimed-money

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Free money for the State.
    Many states don't allow unclaimed giftcard money to be kept by the company.
    For example, in 2008 — the most recent year for which data could be obtained — New York state collected $9.6 million in unredeemed gift cards.

-

This must be for businesses that have a minimum sales volume. I've worked with 100's of micro-businesses that sell gift cards and gift certificates and none of them have ever had to turn anything that wasn't redeemed into the state.

#21 8 years ago

I hope gift cards go away, they make no sense. They should never expire, I think some states have laws saying this, but they also can't be a liability on a companies books forever... They are just the dumbest idea

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Shipping top notch?

Yes,shipping Top Notch.Of course it's going to take longer to ship something to another country....

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from sckurk:

-
    This must be for businesses that have a minimum sales volume. I've worked with 100's of micro-businesses that sell gift cards and gift certificates and none of them have ever had to turn anything that wasn't redeemed into the state.

How long do they carry the unclaimed money on their books for? Forever?

How are they reporting the money, as income?

#24 8 years ago

Typically they will carry it forward for an unlimited amount of time for use by a client, but if someone doesn't use it within the first two years there is almost no chance they will be redeemed. Most of the time the total dollars brought in from the sale of gift cards is relatively small and will be claimed as income for income tax purposes in the year they're sold, but won't be claimed as income for sales tax purposes until the card/certificate is redeemed. For the businesses we work with (privately-owned photography businesses), in most states there's no sales tax unless actual product is sold/delivered.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marcos-is-great-but-they-just-ruined-my-christmas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.