(Topic ID: 286621)

Marco Specialties - Is THIS normal quality?

By ClarkGriswold

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mc300baud
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c2 (resized).JPG
    c1 (resized).JPG
    SC1 (resized).JPG
    SC2 (resized).JPG
    #1 3 years ago

I made a couple of first-time orders at Marco Specialties Pinball and just received one of the packages and I'm shocked at the poor quality of the replacement scorecards I received. They are not centered, not cut straight, and look literally like a 6 year old did the cuts on them. Just take a look for yourself. I would put these anywhere near my pinball machine and I could do a much better job myself printing and cutting these. I mean they only cost like $6 each, but come-on man, not even close to what they advertise on their site https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/16-540-1

I feel like I got duped. I ordered score cards for both Comet and Taxi and in both cases they are just awful quality. The old beat up originals I have are better than these, by a mile. Anyone out they have anything positive to say about them or should I just avoid using them in the future?

SC1 (resized).JPGSC1 (resized).JPGSC2 (resized).JPGSC2 (resized).JPG
    #2 3 years ago

Buy score cards from people that specialize in them. If you just want parts, Marco is fine.

#3 3 years ago

You know there's going to be some people crapping on you for this post, but you're a hundred percent right, they should be centered and whatnot and cut right and God forbid laminated.

#4 3 years ago

Try contacting marco about replacements or possibly a refund for the cards.

If you're just looking for the original style cards, you can print them on cardstock yourself: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you're just looking for the original style cards, you can print them on cardstock yourself: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

Yeah, Marco customer service is generally pretty good from what I've experienced.

#6 3 years ago

Yeah I will say Marco has been good about refunds the one time I had an issue with a part I thought was new but it was used.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

You know there's going to be some people crapping on you for this post, but you're a hundred percent right, they should be centered and whatnot and cut right and God forbid laminated.

Why would people crap on me for the post? I'm asking an honest question here. I'm only posting what I received and it's not very good.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thanks, I appreciate this. I don't have a printer at home, but if I ever get to go back into the office I'll use this!

#8 3 years ago

Marco has great service. I have had nothing but a positive experience with Marco making things right if I had an issue.

#9 3 years ago

Krystle is awesome.
    REALLY prompt replies which i can appreciate, even if it is just to tell me to sit tight.

She just helped me resolve some canadian shipping issue and order was placed DEC 14!!

#10 3 years ago

Too bad you have this problem.
    Please do contact Marco about this.
    He (or they) use my files all the time (with my permission).
    The cutting lines are visable on your wroungly cut cards.
    Too bad they didn't pay much attention to this.
    The cards however are correct in the file.

Peter
    http://www.inkochnito.nl

#11 3 years ago

Yeah, those definitely look bad. I'd be complaining to them if I got those.

On the other hand, I've never been satisfied with the quality of any seller's cards vs just printing my own anyway, even when they are cut properly.

#12 3 years ago

What is the size of the card you received?
    Can you still adjust (cut) the card?

From the looks of the cards you just need to trim one edge....

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

I think the most common problem with those cards is that saved as the A4 paper size, and for folks in the US, we have to make sure to change them to 8.5x11 before they are sized correctly. Maybe that's the issue here?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think the most common problem with those cards is that saved as the A4 paper size, and for folks in the US, we have to make sure to change them to 8.5x11 before they are sized correctly. Maybe that's the issue here?

Yes, you need to print the files without adjusting to paper size.
    Print at 100% without scaling.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Thanks, I appreciate this. I don't have a printer at home, but if I ever get to go back into the office I'll use this!

I use Staples, have them printed from USB stick on high gloss card stock ...

#16 3 years ago

How much were they ?

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Yeah, those definitely look bad. I'd be complaining to them if I got those.
    On the other hand, I've never been satisfied with the quality of any seller's cards vs just printing my own anyway, even when they are cut properly.

PBRs gottlieb cards are exceptional.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

How much were they ?

$4 for the Taxi and $2 for the Comet. I don't really care about losing the money on these, it's obviously not much. I wanted to know if others out there have had similar issues or not with Marco so I know whether or not to continue purchasing from them. I spend over $200 on my two orders with them and haven't received everything yet, but most everything I purchased is stuff they don't make themselves, so I suspect those items should be fine.

Quoted from Inkochnito:

From the looks of the cards you just need to trim one edge....

One side of the card I need for Comet is cut too short, so I could cut them so they are straight, but they would be a bit too small them. Regardless, I paid for them based upon the picture on their website and these aren't representative of those pictures. Seems like the old saying - if you want something done right, do it yourself. Lesson learned on score cards.

I personally have nothing against Marco, just wanted to see if others have had similar issues so I know whether to avoid them or not.

#19 3 years ago

Why would people crap on me for the post?

Some people are pretty thin skinned around here and any criticism of one of their favourites is felt as personal criticism. People lash out and prop up all kinds of stupid things here.

#20 3 years ago

personally have nothing against Marco, just wanted to see if others have had similar issues so I know whether to avoid them or not.

They are one of the largest parts distributors, it will be hard to avoid them totally. Personally I’ve had no issues with them; other then international shipping rates for small parts.

#21 3 years ago

I had some misprinted cards from Marco. I emailed them, and corrected cards were sent out promptly with an apology.

Marco’s customer service is great. Things happen. It is how a company responds that counts. Just contact them. You’ll be taken care of.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I had some misprinted cards from Marco. I emailed them, and corrected cards were sent out promptly with an apology.
    Marco’s customer service is great. Things happen. It is how a company responds that counts. Just contact them. You’ll be taken care of.

Okay, giving them the benefit of the doubt here. People seem mostly pleased with their Customer Service, so hopefully they make me some new ones or just refund me.

#23 3 years ago

Not the worst I have seen, but if you are unhappy contact Marco. They are expensive, but their customer service is excellent.

As a side note some of their nos parts may have issues every once in awhile It is new OLD STOCK and gets purchased from various people. I sold them a bunch of gottlieb coils not too long ago. Just reach out to marco if you have an issue and they will take care of it. Had it happen on some spot targets for an alvin g once.

#24 3 years ago

I have never had any problems with Marco for parts. They usually have parts not found elsewhere. Customer service is great.

They will make it right.

#25 3 years ago

Why would people crap on me for the post? I'm asking an honest question here. I'm only posting what I received and it's not very good.

Because. Internet.

#26 3 years ago

I've bought a bunch of stuff from Marco, usually it's very high quality.

The only item I have bought from them that I was disappointed in was their "Nuts/Bolts/Washers" assortment. They advertised it as containing the most commonly used parts, and since I always seemed to be missing some part it seemed like this would be a good idea.

Unfortunately, other than using a couple of the washers (of which there was only 1 size), none of the other parts even seem to be on any of my machines. Not that it was a big deal, but it really seemed like "parts no one uses" rather than "parts everyone needs".

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I will say Marco has been good about refunds the one time I had an issue with a part I thought was new but it was used.

Had an order ship right before Thanksgiving from Marco, United States Postal Service. After 30 days and still no package, I contacted Marco and they shipped it out at again at their expense. I got that, and then two weeks later, the original order arrived. Marco was great to work with all around, above and beyond for something not their fault.

Bottom line, Marco has great customer service. USPS does not.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

I've bought a bunch of stuff from Marco, usually it's very high quality.
    The only item I have bought from them that I was disappointed in was their "Nuts/Bolts/Washers" assortment. They advertised it as containing the most commonly used parts, and since I always seemed to be missing some part it seemed like this would be a good idea.
    Unfortunately, other than using a couple of the washers (of which there was only 1 size), none of the other parts even seem to be on any of my machines. Not that it was a big deal, but it really seemed like "parts no one uses" rather than "parts everyone needs".

The best way to need something out of that assortment would be to throw it away. I guarantee within a couple of weeks you will need something that was in it.

#29 3 years ago

I’d bet if someone needed instruction cards, posted what they needed in a thread here, explained that they didn’t have a printer, then someone would print and send cards to them for free. The pinball community here is great.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think you're correct. I sat one next to the original and it is not as wide as the original, a bit taller and the print looks smaller on the new one. I'll let Marco know this is likely the issue.

c1 (resized).JPGc1 (resized).JPGc2 (resized).JPGc2 (resized).JPG
    #31 3 years ago

Have them send me an Earthshaker flyer that isn't wrinkled up while you're at it.

#32 3 years ago

One time Marco sent me cards that were the wrong size. It happens.

A phone call later and they sent me the correct ones no charge.

So far, I've been so happy with Marco's service and variety of available parts, that they are who I usually go to first. They have a lot of game specific items for more modern games that nobody else has in stock. And their PRW white rubbers are the best out there.

#34 3 years ago

Marco customer service is #1 from my experience.

#35 3 years ago

I recently bought score cards from them and they were good. Also bought a flipper rebuild kit from them. When it arrived it had no EOS switches in the kit. I called them and they apologized and sent switches out the same day. Never questioned anything. They’ll make it right for u.

#36 3 years ago

Just wanted to say that everyone here is correct. Marco emailed me back and offered to replace them with new ones. They seem to have excellent customer service as everyone says.

#37 3 years ago

Just wanted to say that everyone here is correct.

What about the dude that said Marco sucks?

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What about the dude that said Marco sucks?

The dude generally abides so,

“I can’t be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man.”

#39 3 years ago

i have ordered thousands of dollars worth of parts from Marco over the years (not my only source, but they seem to stock the widest selection with a decent amount of hard-to-find stuff, and they tend to ship faster than many of the other suppliers which can be a lifesaver when repairs are needed quickly.) i've even purchased 5 new Sterns through them as show demo machines. the very few times i've had a problem they've been responsive and fixed the issue quickly, including replacement parts or refunds. the only scorecard i've ordered from them was for NBA Fastbreak (it's got some circled letters that i could never get to print correctly,) and it is sized right and cut well.

#40 3 years ago

Just wanted to say that everyone here is correct. Marco emailed me back and offered to replace them with new ones. They seem to have excellent customer service as everyone says.

That’s great, seems contacting Marco first was the way to go

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

That’s great, seems contacting Marco first was the way to go

IMHO; the OP should have given Marco first right of appeal before even starting the thread. But they seem to be making it right after the fact.

#42 3 years ago

Some of Marco's parts reproductions have gotten pretty questionable in the QC department (check out the HEP thread for many examples, color, texture, size, art issues compared to originals), but the only time I personally had a problem is when Marco sent me the wrong kind of cabinet speaker. One email to them and it was taken care of.

Their customer service is above reproach.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

IMHO; the OP should have given Marco first right of appeal before even starting the thread. But they seem to be making it right after the fact.

This is a valid answer to the OP's question regarding why people might "crap on him" for this post. It's generally frowned upon to make your grievances public before contacting the manufacturer to see if they can make things right. This thread could have just as easily been titled "Marco Specialties - Great Customer Support" and told the same story.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear Marco was able to sort this out for you.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from NoMonkey:

It's generally frowned upon to make your grievances public before contacting the manufacturer to see if they can make things right. This thread could have just as easily been titled "Marco Specialties - Great Customer Support" and told the same story.
    Regardless, I'm glad to hear Marco was able to sort this out for you.

so true. when i posted in support yesterday in support of Marco's customer service, i almost ended it griping that i was now off to try to track down a order from other supplier that was showing as uncompleted, much less shipped, a week after i placed the order. but i thought better of it, sent them an e-mail, and this morning had a response apologizing for their backend not being updated properly and that the order had shipped last week and tracking info so i could confirm. and of course, it showed up just a few minutes ago at my UPS box.

i haven't had too much trouble with the quality of the reproductions Marco carries; my only big issue was with a TOM trunk that started cracking and chipping after less than 1k plays on location; they took a look at my pics and immediately refunded the money with an apology. i then bought the silicon "unbreakable" version which has been solid ever since.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marco-specialties-is-this-normal-quality?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.