(Topic ID: 65334)

Marco Specialties introduces Super-Bands™ high-reliability pinball flipper bands

By marcospec

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

23-6551.jpg
    TS #3.JPG
    TS #2.JPG
    TS #1.JPG
    super-band.jpg
    image-726.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-800.jpg
    DSC01077.JPG
    DSC01069.JPG
    DSC00911.JPG
    DSC01078-931.JPG
    DSC01071.JPG
    DSC01070.JPG
    stuck.jpg
    IMG_1175.JPG
    There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 10 years ago

Lexington, SC — Marco Specialties, a leading pinball parts e-retailer, today announced the new line of Super-Bands™ high-reliability pinball flipper bands from JCS Pinball. Super-Bands™ are advanced, custom-formulated, polyurethane rings designed for pinball machine flippers and bumpers. Super-Bands™ are superior to traditional flipper rubber with better durability and better ball control, translating to increased reliability, reduced operating costs, and better player satisfaction for pinball machines in both commercial and collector environments. Super-Bands are available in a wide variety of original equipment and unique colors.

Tested by professional pinball players, tournament directors, and commercial operators, Super-Bands™ are proven to reduce maintenance and increase playability in all pinball machines. Super-Bands™ were carefully engineered to maintain the same rebound, or bounce, of traditional soft 45-durometer flipper rubber that pinball designers and professional players prefer.

Super-Bands™ have many advantages over traditional flipper rubber:

* More Durable: Advanced customized polyurethane compound is more resistant to abrasion, ozone, and ultraviolet light than traditional rubber.
    * Better Control: Super-Bands™ have equal to or better tactile response than standard rubber and allow for great ball control by any skill level player.
    * Vibrant Colors: High-gloss surface with deep translucent colors look great on any game.
    High Quality: Made in the USA under a strict ISO-9001-certified quality system.
    * Lower Maintenance: Super-Bands™ are less porous and wipe clean with a cloth. They don’t absorb dirt like traditional rubber.

The initial release of Super-Bands™ includes a standard-size series for common 3-inch flippers and a mini-size series for 2-inch flippers, with additional varieties of rubber replacements under development.

ABOUT MARCO SPECIALTIES
    Marco Specialties is a leading e-retailer for pinball machine parts and supplies. With an expansive catalog of rare and common parts, next-day fulfillment, and superior customer service, Marco is committed to the growth of the pinball community by being the go-to source for Everything Pinball™ for pinball collectors and operators.

Online since 1999, Marco Specialties has since grown to offer over 30,000 unique parts and kits for thousands of games from its Lexington, SC warehouse. Marco continues to reinvest in the pinball community by sponsoring dozens of pinball shows, exhibitions, and tournaments.
    For more information, visit:
    http://www.marcospec.com/superbands

or contact [email protected].

ABOUT JCS PINBALL
    JCS Pinball parts lively up your pinball machines with high-rebound polymer products. These parts were conceived by pinball enthusiast JCS, formulated by Ph.D. polymer chemists, and are proudly manufactured in Cranberry Township, PA, USA, under strict ISO-9001-certified quality controls.

For more information and to contact JCS Pinball, visit www.jcspinball.com.

Super-Bands™ is a trademark of JCS Pinball.

Super-Bands_Detail_logos_Med.jpgSuper-Bands_Detail_logos_Med.jpg Super-Bands_Colors_Spread_Med.jpgSuper-Bands_Colors_Spread_Med.jpg

#2 10 years ago

So two companies announcing polyurethane flipper bands practically back to back? That doesn't exactly strike me as a coincidence.

#3 10 years ago

Curious, how do these compare to the Saturn rings that Planetary Pinball just announced?

#4 10 years ago

Thnks guys! Will try these out for sure on my next order from you.

#5 10 years ago

Are different hardness available?

#6 10 years ago

I dare someone to try a Saturn Ring on the left flipper and a Super-Band on the right!

#7 10 years ago

There are not different hardnesses available with Super-Bands. This is one formulation, available in 8 colors and clear (in stock soon). All colors play the same. You can get a variety of physical properties out of cast polyurethanes without changing the durometer (hardness). These properties were dialed-in over the better part of a year to give the best play and durability. Super-Bands will give you the bounce of a soft red rubber, yet last considerably longer.

These were used at the PAPA World Pinball Championships and other high-profile tournaments since their inception.

#9 10 years ago

No. They are completely different products made out of different materials and have no ties to each other whatsoever. This I am 100% sure of.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

They are completely different products made out of different materials

I mean, I'm sure they have their own formulas, but they're both just polyurethane. I have no dog in this fight, I don't know any of the companies involved, and I think competition is great. I just worry there's a marketing hype train coming.

#11 10 years ago

I have had Super Bands on many of my games since late May, I know they have been in testing for quite a bit longer than that. They play like regular rubbers no matter what color you choose no difference in hardness...they play great, and they clean up very easily. I have had purple ones on my Metallica since I got it, it has tons of plays on it and they still look great no wear and no complaints about play (I mean the Super Bands, not the game!!). They are on many of my other games with no issues, we just had a league session and pinball party at our house last weekend and we had many compliments on the play and looks of them.
    I will have Super Bands on all my games that I am taking to Pinball Expo in Chicago that starts on Oct. 16th.
    So come to Expo play some pinball and check them out!!

Phoebe

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

No. They are completely different products made out of different materials and have no ties to each other whatsoever. This I am 100% sure of.

My apologies then, I stand corrected.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, I'm sure they have their own formulas, but they're both just polyurethane. I have no dog in this fight, I don't know any of the companies involved, and I think competition is great. I just worry there's a marketing hype train coming.

I can assure you these are two different products from two different sets of people. I don't know which product was developed first, I only know which one was announced first.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

I can assure you these are two different products from two different sets of people. I don't know which product was developed first, I only know which one was announced first.

I believe the world champion!

#15 10 years ago

Of course these come the day after I place my order! Rats! lol

#16 10 years ago

OK, what color for LOTR? I'm not great with color combos.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

OK, what color for LOTR? I'm not great with color combos.

Green.

#19 10 years ago

Green goes with the playfield but makes the flippers look like a Packers helmet. I'm a Bears fan.

#20 10 years ago

Green goes with the playfield but makes the flippers look like a Packers helmet. I'm a Bears fan.

Haha haha!

Buy new flipper bats of a different color.

#21 10 years ago

could look good with a chrome/brass, gold flipper bat.

yellow is not bad either, this is what i did on my game. sorry about the picture this is all i got.

Score_Card.JPGScore_Card.JPG

#22 10 years ago

Well, my wife owns one share of the Packers stock. I suppose I could call it a tribute to her.

#23 10 years ago

Go with gold flippers then.

#24 10 years ago

Saturn Rings are getting praise for JJP and will be used in their future games. Let the battle begin.

#25 10 years ago

I can confirm that I don't know Joe or anything about this product. I can only say that competing stuff is good except it looks we are doing 2 very different things but it means more choices and the beneficiary is everyone. I suspect people who buy Saturn rings will buy superbands and people who buy superbands will buy Saturnrings. I also suspect people like and dislike things about both brands.
    Heck, there are probably a bunch of people who will stick with traditional rubber. If you ask me, this is very exciting time for pinball. I can tell you that I floated the idea a few years ago but as Joe will tell you, it's not an easy thing to get right. This is the free market working as it should. Bad rubber creates a demand for a better one and there you have it! I don't see this as a bad thing. So I give thumbs up to anyone who can make a product here in the states.

#26 10 years ago

Will these be made for Safecracker™ (1-5/16")?

#27 10 years ago

Sensfreak, it's not really a battle. I actually like what Joe is doing. We both had a different approach and that shows American ingenuity. Being a urethane formulator I could certainly emulate what He is doing as he could what I'm doing.I appreciate what Joe has done and I'm sure being in the same business he can Respect what I have done. Joe will tell you that Urethane people all have there own niche and tricks. Heck, I'm even inclined to order a set of these just for the choice factor. Depending on what mood I'm in and what game, I may choose a different rubber! Remember, even Steve Job's eventually realized that Bill Gates was not the enemy. The winner here is pinball.

#28 10 years ago

Very good point, saturnrings1. I will be ordering some of your product from Planetary Pinball to give it a go. I like the variety of colours you offer and the varying degrees of hardness. Looking forward to testing these out.

#29 10 years ago

I'm looking forward to trying these out! Any plans for either of these brands to do a 5/8 inch version for Gottlieb's?

#30 10 years ago

Will both of these products be available at Expo?

#31 10 years ago

Thus far i will be sticking with regular old rubbers. I honestly don't see the need for anything else on my personal games. Heck,FT has over 1500 games on new rubbers and looks as good as new thus far...

#32 10 years ago

OK, I've never had to consider choosing soft, medium or hard flipper rubber. Any wisdom to share on this if I go with Saturn Rings? I'll be putting them on my LOTR with the stronger flipper coils.

#33 10 years ago

That's what Saturn Rings is all about. You have a choice. All games play different, the speed is different and many other factors. there use to be 2 hardness rubbers but over the years it was cheaper just to make one.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from saturnrings1:

Sensfreak, it's not really a battle....... <snip>

The winner here is pinball.

Class act posts my friend. I wish the actual machine manufacturer debates went this way.

Different/competing products = good for pinball!

#35 10 years ago

That's what Saturn Rings is all about.

Last I checked this was a thread started by marco. It's bad form to come into a competitors thread and pitch your competing product.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Last I checked this was a thread started by marco. It's bad form to come into a competitors thread and pitch your competing product.

He's responding directly to the post above him asking for help, and the first few posts he made were simply clarifying these are two different and great products and consumers win either way. I don't see anything terribly unreasonable (yet )

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thus far i will be sticking with regular old rubbers. I honestly don't see the need for anything else on my personal games. Heck,FT has over 1500 games on new rubbers and looks as good as new thus far...

I also worry about how well the traction/stick is on these new formulations compared to original. If they clean up a lot better, than says to me that they may not have the same grip as original rubbers. Maybe that's not the case, but it's #1 on my mind. *I do not want to lose ball control for ability to further accessorize my barbies*.

The problem is the original rubber out there isn't original. It's mostly shit that wears at the tips in under a couple weeks. I have been complaining of this forever, and for a long time didn't really see anyone else posting any problems with flipper rubbers, only the white pf rubbers. Luckily I have found a source for the good stuff (very limited, sorry it's mine!).

I'd be interested in trying this new stuff to see the difference, as if it does last longer, cleans easier, AND plays the same, it might be worth it.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I also worry about how well the traction/stick is on these new formulations compared to original. If they clean up a lot better, than says to me that they may not have the same grip as original rubbers. Maybe that's not the case, but it's #1 on my mind. *I do not want to lose ball control for ability to further accessorize my barbies*.
    The problem is the original rubber out there isn't original. It's mostly shit that wears at the tips in under a couple weeks. I have been complaining of this forever, and for a long time didn't really see anyone else posting any problems with flipper rubbers, only the white pf rubbers. Luckily I have found a source for the good stuff (very limited, sorry it's mine!).
    I'd be interested in trying this new stuff to see the difference, as if it does last longer, cleans easier, AND plays the same, it might be worth it.

Most people claim subtly better ball control with the Super-Bands. Try them out and decide for yourself if you like them. They were not designed for the bling factor. They were designed to play great and to last long.

#39 10 years ago

Lightning flipper sizes?

#40 10 years ago

Super balls to go with our super bands.

th-6.jpegth-6.jpeg

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I dare someone to try a Saturn Ring on the left flipper and a Super-Band on the right!

I would be afraid of a Ghostbuster type of effect.

#42 10 years ago

I like the glossy look of the flipper rubbers Stern uses. The problem is they are pure crap, even worse than the ones we use. A freshly shopped location game already had some tearing at the tips.

Also, if someone will make white rubber rings with this same material it will be well worth it. How many times have you had a location game break a rubber ring that is buried beneath several layers of playfield parts? At the moment we have no choice but to stick a ball there. The original rings last much longer. When I tear down games sitting idle for years and still find "good" HAPP rings in once piece, that says something.

#43 10 years ago

I really want all the playfield rubber sizes in colors. Saturn has hinted they're going to do this, what about Super-Bands? Someone take my money!

#44 10 years ago

Let me respond to both products. Gum rubber dry rots and cakes up and loses traction very fast compared to urethane. The Grip of a good urethane is not only long lasting and consistent, it's superior when using the correct urethane. Both of our rings are urethane rubber. I have also seen references to rubber versus non rubber. urethane is not a non rubber, It rubber! Viton Is rubber, natural gum rubber is rubber and there are many more. The difference is that Viton and Urethane are Synthetic. I will double down and say once people experience Synthetic Rubber they will never switch back unless it comes down to $$. there are just to many pros and to few cons. There is a reason that synthetic rubber costs 2 - 3 times that of natural rubber. It's the same reason Synthetic oil costs 3 times as much as regular oil. In any case, I don't need to convince anyone. Once people use these products, most will find many benefits. Of course there always be hold outs just on principle, costs or other reasons. I have to be suspicious of anyone that would be weary of a product and make claims without spending 4 bucks to try it! That's like looking at a new car and saying I bet that paint finish makes it drive like crap. Hop in the seat and take a ride, be it mine or Joe's rings. Or not!

#45 10 years ago

I can confirm that I don't know Joe or anything about this product. I can only say that competing stuff is good except it looks we are doing 2 very different things but it means more choices and the beneficiary is everyone. I suspect people who buy Saturn rings will buy superbands and people who buy superbands will buy Saturnrings. I also suspect people like and dislike things about both brands.
    Heck, there are probably a bunch of people who will stick with traditional rubber. If you ask me, this is very exciting time for pinball. I can tell you that I floated the idea a few years ago but as Joe will tell you, it's not an easy thing to get right. This is the free market working as it should. Bad rubber creates a demand for a better one and there you have it! I don't see this as a bad thing. So I give thumbs up to anyone who can make a product here in the states.

#46 10 years ago

I have been testing the Super-Bands in various capacities for almost a year now, and I can say they are a top-notch product.

#47 10 years ago

Sensfreak, it's not really a battle. I actually like what Joe is doing. We both had a different approach and that shows American ingenuity. Being a urethane formulator I could certainly emulate what He is doing as he could what I'm doing.I appreciate what Joe has done and I'm sure being in the same business he can Respect what I have done. Joe will tell you that Urethane people all have there own niche and tricks. Heck, I'm even inclined to order a set of these just for the choice factor. Depending on what mood I'm in and what game, I may choose a different rubber! Remember, even Steve Job's eventually realized that Bill Gates was not the enemy. The winner here is pinball.

Best pinside post yet

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

My concern as well. As soon as I see video of someone doing loop passes with these I'll be sold.

#49 10 years ago

Let me respond to both products. Gum rubber dry rots and cakes up and loses traction very fast compared to urethane. The Grip of a good urethane is not only long lasting and consistent, it's superior when using the correct urethane. Both of our rings are urethane rubber. I have also seen references to rubber versus non rubber. urethane is not a non rubber, It rubber! Viton Is rubber, natural gum rubber is rubber and there are many more. The difference is that Viton and Urethane are Synthetic. I will double down and say once people experience Synthetic Rubber they will never switch back unless it comes down to $$. there are just to many pros and to few cons. There is a reason that synthetic rubber costs 2 - 3 times that of natural rubber. It's the same reason Synthetic oil costs 3 times as much as regular oil. In any case, I don't need to convince anyone. Once people use these products, most will find many benefits. Of course there always be hold outs just on principle, costs or other reasons. I have to be suspicious of anyone that would be weary of a product and make claims without spending 4 bucks to try it! That's like looking at a new car and saying I bet that paint finish makes it drive like crap. Hop in the seat and take a ride, be it mine or Joe's rings. Or not!

I haven't been in the market for rubber formulations, but I don't agree with the reasoning that synthetic materials should be more expensive than natural ones. Some natural components may be rare or difficult to process. Often, people develop synthetic materials because they are cheaper.

That said, urethane rubbers do have material advantages over natural rubbers. So yeah, I plan to buy a bunch of these myself! Will they be available at Expo by any chance?

#50 10 years ago

You're correct in the sense that they "Shouldn't" cost more. The issue is that Someone needs to pay those Polymer chemists! You can use slave labor to extract rubber from a tree and in fact they do. Urethane's do cost more to process. There is no getting around that one.

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marco-specialties-introduces-super-bands%e2%84%a2-high-reliability-pinball-flipper-bands and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.