(Topic ID: 97670)

Many Fireball 2 probelms

By Ronnie1114

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

So, just got my new mpu for Fireball 2 installed and amazingly it boots.

List of Problems:
I get 5 total coils working (all 3 flippers, the right sling, and the little demon post.)
No sound at all
I had 5 coils that locked on when I turned it on. I went and replaced the transistors but apparently I didnt do the right ones or something else as the coils locked back on when I turned it on.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

Did you change the diode on the coils that were locked on also? Also, have you checked the fuses since it booted and locked coils?

#3 9 years ago

Did not change the diode. All the fuses are goon on the rectifier board. Didnt see any other fuses in the machine.

#4 9 years ago

Should be a 1amp slo-blo on the bottom of the play-field, in the flipper mech area. If you did not change out the diodes, they may be bad and possibly wrecked the new transistors. The rule is: when changing a transistor for a locked on coil, change the diode also.

#5 9 years ago

Here is some help and good reading, check out section 3i.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm#driver

#6 9 years ago

Thanks. Ill check those and report back.

#7 9 years ago

Fuse read good. New transistors read bad.

#8 9 years ago

Sorry to hear that. Be careful changing the transistors again, easy to lift traces after repeat swaps. And do the diodes this time, and note the orientation of each diode band.

#9 9 years ago

Will do. Any idea on why almost no other coils work?

#10 9 years ago

Could be a few things. Start with checking voltages.

#11 9 years ago

What should I be getting at the coils?

#12 9 years ago

Also, if the game has been turned off for a while like 30 min to an hour it wont boot up right away. It has to like try for a couple of minutes. The led will flash randomly for a little then get more steady and then finally it will boot.

#13 9 years ago

It sounds like you have multiple things going on here. Does this game have batteries on the MPU?

#15 9 years ago

No batteries is a good thing. Kinda sounds like you may have header and connector problems. Try carefully re-seating all the connectors on the MPU and the solenoid driver board, see if some of your problems don't go away. If they do, or you get different problems, then I'd say it's time to re-pin. A common problem with older Bally games.

#16 9 years ago

The mpu board isn't the problem. Just bought it and it was tested working. I'll reseat everything and report back. Thanks so much for all your help.

#17 9 years ago

The MPU probably isn't the problem, it's more than likely the connections between the MPU and solenoid driver board.

#18 9 years ago

Ok. That's better then what I thought. Once I get home I'll test that stuff out.

#19 9 years ago

OK, I reseated everything and got no change. I think I'm having a power issue. Because when I first turn the game on it has to do the warm up thing like I mentioned earlier. I just noticed that once it warms up if i use the flippers it will reset. Once it has been on even longer then it will finally boot up and not reset.

#20 9 years ago

Also, after I replaced the Transistors I soldered ONE coil back on and it still locked on but I didnt solder the other 3 back on. But if I get out my multimeter all of the transistors that I soldered on read bad.

#21 9 years ago

Oh one more thing... lol. I now don't get any displays. They lit up perfectly when I first turned it on but now they don't do anything at all.

#22 9 years ago

When you soldered the transistors, were you careful not to make any solder bridges anywhere on the board?

#23 9 years ago

Yeah all of them looked good though it was my first time soldering on a board.

#25 9 years ago

I think we need some better advice here. I'm leaning towards the IC's on the driver board, but I'm not the guy to lead anyone through testing these. We need someone like dothedoo or chris hibler or barakanl, these guys do this stuff regularly.

#26 9 years ago

If there were only a way to page people. Ill post on the other thread and hopefully they will see it. You have been great, I really appreciate all your help.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Will do. Any idea on why almost no other coils work?

Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Also, after I replaced the Transistors I soldered ONE coil back on and it still locked on but I didnt solder the other 3 back on.

Do you have coils removed from the game, or wires removed from coils? All power is daisy chained from coil to coil. If you separate wires that are soldered together on the lug the banded end of the diode is connected to then no downstream coils will have power.

Also, did you ohm out each coil to make sure they aren't shorted?

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Do you have coils removed from the game, or wires removed from coils? All power is daisy chained from coil to coil. If you separate wires that are soldered together on the lug the banded end of the diode is connected to then no downstream coils will have power.
Also, did you ohm out each coil to make sure they aren't shorted?

OOOOOOO. Yes I un-soldered the outhole kicker, all 3 drop target reset banks, and the knocker as they are the ones locking on. I tried to ohm the coils but didn't know if I have to have the power on when I do it. Thanks tons.

#29 9 years ago

Check them with power off.

#31 9 years ago

K this is what I got:
Outhole kicker, 14.4 ohms
Knocker, 11.2 ohms
Target bank 1, 22.2 ohms
Target bank 2, 22.3 ohms
Target bank 3, 22.4 ohms

#32 9 years ago

Those readings look good. I think your driver transistors are bad, but you can check the driver ICs to make sure all is good there. Here are instructions I posted in a similar thread:

Decoder chip is U6, a 74154. What are the voltages on pins 20-23? Those are the inputs to the decoder and should all be a logical high (3-5 volts). Next, what are the voltages on pins 1-11 and 13-17? Those are the outputs and all should read a logical high except pin 17 should be low (0-1 volt). This is the inactive state. When the chip decodes the input lines it assigns one output line low. All highs on the inputs means pin 17 is low. Bally left this output disconnected so that no solenoids are energized when the chip is "inactive".

U4 is the predriver. What are the voltages on input pins 2,4,6,8,11,13,15 and 17? They should all read logical high. The chip is an inverter, so each output will be the opposite of the input. So all output pins 18,16,14,12,9,7,5 and 3 should be low.

#33 9 years ago

Hmmm. I'm pretty lost when reading that. I fairly Sure it's the transistors cause most of them read good except for the ones I replaced because I forgot to change the diodes.

#35 9 years ago

I agree. Replace the transistors and diodes. Check all of the new parts before installing.

#36 9 years ago

OK, I bought my last ones at radio shack. Where could I order them from as I need some other pinball and arcade related parts? Thanks for all your help.

#37 9 years ago

If you just need electronic parts then www.greatplainselectronics.com is the place to go. If you need playfield parts and stuff then Pinball Resource, Marco or the like.

#38 9 years ago

Great. Didn't know if Marcos Or pinball life sold electronic stuff. Thanks

#39 9 years ago

Here is a video of what is happening when I first turn the game on:

#40 9 years ago

The MPU is resetting constantly. I'm surprised when it finally comes up that it doesn't reset after that. I would put sideways pressure on J4 to make sure it makes solid contact and see if it boots without resetting. That connector always needs to be repinned. If that's not the problem then the 5V regulator circuit on the SDB needs to be checked.

#41 9 years ago

I would go with dothedoo and check the 5v regulator circuit, as you have already checked the connectors a ways back.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The MPU is resetting constantly. I'm surprised when it finally comes up that it doesn't reset after that. I would put sideways pressure on J4 to make sure it makes solid contact and see if it boots without resetting. That connector always needs to be repinned. If that's not the problem then the 5V regulator circuit on the SDB needs to be checked.

I have wiggled around J4 and it doesn't do anything different. What is the 5V regulator circuit?

#43 9 years ago

Check the voltage on TP 1 on the solenoid driver board, should be 4.75 - 5.25vdc.

#44 9 years ago

How do you test the voltages? I know that they are the little loops but that's about it.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

How do you test the voltages? I know that they are the little loops but that's about it.

the same way I told you to check in the not booting thread. If you hadn't done this, you should have!

2 weeks later
#46 9 years ago

By ground, do you mean anything metal or is their a specific spot? Thanks

#47 9 years ago

There's a 1/4" braided strap that is stapled to the walls of the head and cabinet, just connect to that.

1 week later
#48 9 years ago

OK, I soldered on more new transistors and put on all new diodes annnnnd: the goddamn coils are still locking on

#49 9 years ago

Don't really know where to go from here

#50 9 years ago

Did you ever check the voltage on TP-1 of the solenoid driver board?If so, what was the voltage?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
£ 195.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/many-fireball-2-probelms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.