4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mrgone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I got a shock the other day when I went to pick up a pin dolly advertised on Craig's List. The guy told me on the phone that he also had a Checkpoint for $500. Of course that raised the junk flag immediately. I have never owned a Data East machine and I had to do some quick research on the Checkpoint. Value, game rating, how many produced ect... I was a bit taken back on how much that game was getting on the market and it seemed to be a pretty fun game at glance. Since I have only collected Williams Bally I have never been interested in a Data East machine and I new nothing about them til now. I went over to this guys storage unit. The dolly was in good shape so I picked it up for $100. The Check Point was all folded up and wrapped with plastic. We unwrapped it and I layed it down on the dolly. When I went to pick up the back box the box just fell apart In pieces. The machine must have been dropped in shipping. The shocking part was that the entire back box was just glue and staples. No bolts, crappy joints really poor quality. I guess if you have a Data East machine you don't want to bang it around much. I could see maybe if there was water damage but there was no indication of that. I must say that Williams Bally knew how to build a machine!

#2 4 years ago

Just saying, if you limit yourself to B/W titles, then you're going to miss out on a lot of fun pinball!

#3 4 years ago

Ive had a TFTC and had zero issues with it. I would buy another DE title without worry.

#4 4 years ago

If the rest of the game is o.k. buy it . Pick up some corner brackets and wood screws and wood glue. Then put the head back together. For $500 it's worth a shot. Joe

#5 4 years ago

I'm a little surprised you can draw a conclusion with a sample size of just 1 (who knows what that machine has been through). But it's ok - Data East machines will remain affordable because of this. Those of us "in the know" will continue to get a great bang for the buck from these well made and fun machines.

#6 4 years ago

you pay $100 for a pinball machine and you're complaining

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrush2112:

you pay $100 for a pinball machine and you're complaining

READ: He bought the "Dolly" for $100, NOT the Pin

Quoted from whthrs166:

The dolly was in good shape so I picked it up for $100.

5 months later
    #8 3 years ago

Data East machine because of Japan Manufacturer are most mini games oriented instead of ball flow ( tales of crypt, jurassic park ).

#9 3 years ago

Well Data East come with a rubber Bungie cord so umm...yeah.

#10 3 years ago

I've owned a GNR, TFTC, and a Time Machine. All played great. The only issues I have with DE are that the pops always seem less responsive than Williams, and the kickouts seem weak. All 3 pins had those "issues" if you will, so I know it's a common DE thing.

Regardless, all 3 pins are fun as hell to play.

#11 3 years ago

I have owned 2 data east games. Wafer and lw3
    Both fun and priced right. I would own more.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 0.35
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside