Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SHOT0000.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.jpg
    Haunted House Instruction Manual.pdf (PDF preview)
    Price Guide DRA Sep 1984.pdf (PDF preview)
    Clipboard01.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Monday Again!

I was cleaning up this weekend, and found a 5 DVD set from 10 years ago, thats packed with pictures, instructions, and manuals, that I remember buying off of Ebay, just before it was pulled and no longer
    allowed.

My question is regard to, I guess Copyright. Some Manuals can be foound on Pinball Database website in PDF Indeed, those can be found on these DVDs.

Others on this set, appear not to be available there, also in PDF format.

Am I allowed to make these available for download?
    Am I infringing on property?

Lastly, do people do this and then sell them, when they shouldnt?

What are the rules on old manuals like this.....It would seem some of these might be of help to people.

Thanks,

Art

#2 9 years ago

Most manuals that are NOT on IPDB are not on there for a reason - copyright claim. I don't think PPS will allow Williams/Bally/Capcom and Steve Young won't allow Gottlieb...as they owned the copyrights and sell reprints.

You should not sell these manuals without their permissions.

#3 9 years ago

Indeed, that makes sense...if I may ask further, please....Why would there be any Bally Williams Manuals therefore up at all on IPDB? I mean, one cant make an Addams family Ramp or Part, but that manual is available, and yet others may not.

Would this apply to Video games, Atari, etc?

Theres so much stuff on these, I wont have the time to wade through and verify, and I respect their positions...

#4 9 years ago

For Gottlieb manuals, the answer is a clear "no".

For everybody else, there doesn't seem to be a big issue.

Here's what Rick at PPS said on the matter a while back: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/planetary-pinball-pulls-a-gottlieb-llc/page/2#post-1858570

If the PDF scans of the manuals are better than what is available at IPDB (many of them are not perfect, are poor-quality, have missing pages, missing schematics, etc), I'd say see if you can submit them to IPDB.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mhulsebu:

I don't think PPS will allow Williams/Bally/Capcom

What are you talking about? Almost every Bally/Williams manual is on IPDB, at least as far as solid state and DMD goes... I use them ALL THE TIME.

*Edit* Are you assuming he is going to charge for them? I assumed he meant to be downloadable for free since he didn't mean charging. I'm pretty sure Art knows if he was charging there would be licensing involved...

#6 9 years ago

I think there are 6 DVDs of files....I havent checked them all and compared each one in a search.
    I wanted to check before I spent that time.

I wasnt interested in selling them, just whether I could put them all up to help.

The reference to people selling them, would be if there was something, and I believe I have found a few in a couple of searches, and they were copyrighted, it would not be right for me to make available for free, and someone download and sell, and then it comes back to me.....

Just digging through boxes and seeing if there is help, as sometimes, I thought some manuals
    were hard to find.....

Several DVDs have Arcade manuals, photos, press releases...I am sure these are all taken from the
    Net 10 years ago, but am clueless if some of this has value/meaning.....

If I dumped them to Google drive, or later tonight Ill dig deeper Ill share more....but didnt want
    a big project, just thinking to upload them all and share.....yes, many are on the database...80%-90% I think

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

*Edit* Are you assuming he is going to charge for them? I assumed he meant to be downloadable for free since he didn't mean charging. I'm pretty sure Art knows if he was charging there would be licensing involved...

I don't know for sure...but I thought PPS site changed from being able to download to having to view them in a viewer, and then I looked for something that I thought was on IPDB previously and it was no longer there (but could be mistaken on that front).

I do think that Rick would probably have a problem with someone selling them...not so sure if they are out there for free.

#8 9 years ago

I just checked the price on a original gottlieb manual, 3.00!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mhulsebu:

I don't know for sure...but I thought PPS site changed from being able to download to having to view them in a viewer, and then I looked for something that I thought was on IPDB previously and it was no longer there (but could be mistaken on that front).
    I do think that Rick would probably have a problem with someone selling them...not so sure if they are out there for free.

The viewer on the PPS site is totally worthless.. I do know that.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The viewer on the PPS site is totally worthless.. I do know that.

Yep, the viewer is a pain, but it's better than nothing.

#11 9 years ago

Back when all the Gottlieb manuals were pulled from ipdb, they turned up on alt.binaries.e-book.technical

Stuff that gets posted anonymously to the Usenet Newsgroups can't be taken down, which is nice.

#12 9 years ago

If those scans are 10 years old, they may not be that good. Just recently, I started to rescan all my drive in theater speaker manuals in color (where applicable) and in much higher resolution than what is out there now. I came out with much better scans and clear pictures.

If your DVD contains Gottlieb stuff, then enjoy the manuals and do not post them as the copyrights are enforced.

Recently, I had an original Gottlieb EM pinball schematic I wanted to get photocopied so I'd have one for myself. I took it to Kinko's/Fedex and they were all nice and warm and fuzzy about doing it until they unfolded it and saw the Gottlieb name on it. Then their attitude immediately changed and they threw me out! They wouldn't copy it.

#13 9 years ago

If you wanted to make a few copies for your friends (send PM) There should be no problem. (no charge, of course, nod nod wink wink)

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Back when all the Gottlieb manuals were pulled from ipdb, they turned up on alt.binaries.e-book.technical
    Stuff that gets posted anonymously to the Usenet Newsgroups can't be taken down, which is nice.

I am unfamiliar with alt.binaries.e-book.technical - how the heck do I view it? search it?!

#15 9 years ago

The Usenet Newsgroups were around before there was a Web.

Check with your internet provider and see if they provide Usenet service, or if you know anybody with a university internet account, they always have Usenet.

For text only groups you can usually just use Google to read them (like https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.games.pinball) but for the Binaries groups (with giant "attachments" like movies, manuals, games, mp3s...) you will want actual Usenet service like Newsguy.

http://newsguy.com/

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Usenet Newsgroups were around before there was a Web.
    Check with your internet provider and see if they provide Usenet service, or if you know anybody with a university internet account, they always have Usenet.
    For text only groups you can usually just use Google to read them (like https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.games.pinball) but for the Binaries groups (with giant "attachments" like movies, manuals, games, mp3s...) you will want actual Usenet service like Newsguy.
    http://newsguy.com/

I am normally pretty savvy with these type of things... Clipboard01.jpgClipboard01.jpg

#17 9 years ago

Doubt you'll find any old manuals on Newsguy as it is unlikely anyone has posted manuals there in the past three years. More likely to post to IPDB or other sites instead.

"Retention
    Retention refers to the number of days that an article or file will be available to you on a news server. We continually increase our capacity to deliver some of the best retention around! Currently 900+ days in binary newsgroups & several years in text groups!"

viperrwk

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

If those scans are 10 years old, they may not be that good. Just recently, I started to rescan all my drive in theater speaker manuals in color (where applicable) and in much higher resolution than what is out there now. I came out with much better scans and clear pictures.
    If your DVD contains Gottlieb stuff, then enjoy the manuals and do not post them as the copyrights are enforced.
    Recently, I had an original Gottlieb EM pinball schematic I wanted to get photocopied so I'd have one for myself. I took it to Kinko's/Fedex and they were all nice and warm and fuzzy about doing it until they unfolded it and saw the Gottlieb name on it. Then their attitude immediately changed and they threw me out! They wouldn't copy it.

I have copied a few schematics for myself from my local Kinkos/Fed Ex in case I could help someone with a repair issue. Every time they were very helpful to assist and it's basically self-service where I go.

Try another similar location/company if you can find one Ken!

#19 9 years ago

There is an awesome torrent actually available with a good number of manuals in them (maybe all) Idk how old the scans are, but the torrent I may or may not have grabbed looks great and is readable.

I would personally supply the info, but IPDB and other sources have it so not sure if it's worth any sort of headache

#20 9 years ago

OK, Got some feedback, Thank you.

I will look into the Gottlieb issue, more then Bally Williams, as this is where it is more focused....
    (and I love Steve, even though he forgets who I am after 35 years!)

Just another question though, If I do something wrong, it is a C&D.
    Is there a place, free on the cloud, that I can share, and some of you guys take a peek at this stuff?

BTW, some scans are pretty good...I just dont know what all I have here and if it is of help...
    I post some screen shots of the folders, and dvds....in case someone has had these too.

Art

#21 9 years ago

Ill check torrents too...maybe someone put all this up already....

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What are the rules on old manuals like this..

If you sell them, you will go directly to jail.

#23 9 years ago

No sales...Free, with some help...I trust your post was a joke.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Typically, you'll get a DMCA or C&D notice first. If you comply with the take-down request, then that's usually the end of it. If not, that's when lawyers step in. There is no "direct to jail" option.

#25 9 years ago

Gottlieb C&D on IPDB:

http://ipdb.org/gottlieb_cease.html

viperrwk

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Can he at least pass Go? Maybe collect $200 to help with bail?

#27 9 years ago

Some stuff.....

Hours on a couple of folders..some screen shots....1 HH attached Ill remove, but to show quality...
    Pics, covers, sound bytes, poster pics, ...so much.

As others have mentioned copyright issues to respect....I dont have the time, and I have received PMs
    to send....

I guess what I am looking for is if someone truly wants to wade through this and have the time to make available.

No Gottlieb should go up.

I dont think Rick wants to be bothered, but if B/W are up on the web, would there be B/W games that are not up, hard to fit, and of help, without upsetting Rick?

I hate to sit on this, yet I cant field bunches of email requests....any other ideas?

Price Guide DRA Sep 1984.pdfPrice Guide DRA Sep 1984.pdf
    Haunted House Instruction Manual.pdfHaunted House Instruction Manual.pdf

2.jpg2.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5.jpg5.jpg 6.jpg6.jpg 7.jpg7.jpg 8.jpg8.jpg SHOT0000.jpgSHOT0000.jpg
    #28 9 years ago

It would be nice if the old manuals for out of production games could be had for free, but where there is money still to be made, there is a lawyer hired to enforce the copyrights.

#29 9 years ago

Heh, what are laserdisc player manuals doing in there? I recognize some of those model numbers.

However, those scans are pretty good, actually. It's probably worthwhile for someone to go through them. Maybe even break the files up into teams so it doesn't all fall to one person. I'm sure it's quite a massive mountain of material.

#30 9 years ago

Good Idea, I have heard from some people that many manuals in the Arcade Section are are on the web in hidden pages, so thats about 1/4 of the material. 1/4 are public pin manuals

I suppose whats best with this now, is a few people have asked me for personal copies, which with my sincerest apologies, at 7 16 hour days...I cant offer., but if anyone has an ftp I can send or other cloud that I can do 1-2 people or thumb drive sent to me, It would help. What I ask, like a chain mail is each of you offer it to 2-3 others, if there are enough emails...Ill guess somewhere between 20-30 gig.
    You would need to "remove"( ) copyrighted material...

How does that sound?

#31 9 years ago

Upload the whole thing to MEGA (up to 50gb).

PM the link to a few cool people.

Let the cool people sort it out and re-up it.

https://mega.co.nz/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/manuals-collection-in-pdfkinda-strange-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.