(Topic ID: 193179)

Manually load and play multiple balls - OK or frowned upon?

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Loading and shooting multiple balls on old push-to-load EM's...”

• is OK today and always was - shoot all 5 onto the playfield if you like. 33 votes
    47%
  • is not how the machines were meant to be played - please only one ball at a time on the playfield! 37 votes
    53%

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3115404d06d3254841434d942fcd8ba31dc26dba (resized).jpg
image-3 (resized).jpg
211f1 (resized).jpg
dogcigar (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago

Don't do it if it isn't your machine, and the owner of the game asks you not to. Same as placing a drink on the glass. Respect the wishes of the game's owner. Do what you want with your own games.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How would I know what the wishes of the game's owner is?
I've never once seen a sign on an old school game asking people not to do this. I've never heard anybody in person say not to do this.
If you bring an old game like this to a show probably a good idea to put a sign on it asking people not to do that, since I doubt most people would even think it was an issue (drinks on a machine are more in the "common sense" family). Even then good luck...cause kids!

Exactly what I did, and exactly what happened. No one apparently read the note on my "Sky Line". Next time, auto serve single ball games only, especially at Pintastic.
My buddy once had a woman change her baby's diaper on his freshly restored "Bank A Ball".
I can understand the mentality of the GP, especially kids when attending this type of event, but it still makes me cringe when I've spent so much time and energy bringing a quality game to the show.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How would I know what the wishes of the game's owner is?
I've never once seen a sign on an old school game asking people not to do this. I've never heard anybody in person say not to do this.
If you bring an old game like this to a show probably a good idea to put a sign on it asking people not to do that, since I doubt most people would even think it was an issue (drinks on a machine are more in the "common sense" family). Even then good luck...cause kids!

Exactly what I did, and exactly what happened. No one apparently read the note on my "Sky Line". Next time, auto serve single ball games only, especially at Pintastic.
My buddy once had a woman change her baby's diaper on his freshly restored "Bank A Ball".
I can understand the mentality of the GP, especially kids when attending this type of event, but it still makes me cringe when I've spent so much time and energy bringing a quality game to the show.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When playing for money, I smile when the competitor decides to try his luck with multiball.

Hey. No prizes, no gambling!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Launching 2 balls would be controllable all 5, not so much.

Especially when you have all five in the shooter lane and try plunging them all at the same time. I haven't yet gone over my "Sky Line", but I did notice that the push up lever was a little balky toward the end of the show.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I get the occasional extra ball in the shooter lane. It just happens. I send them halfway up and then use the lower ball to knock the upper ball into play. Then I usually forget and get two in the shooter lane once again. Shit happens.

Hey, why the blank avatar? You must be an impostor!

#21 6 years ago

Imposter?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

For those the voted the second option, how would you suggest playing Bally ems that from the factory would have up to three balls in play at the same time? Or games like Balls A Poppin that would have up to 9 balls in play?
Or did Bally just make such a superior product, that you don't have to worry about it?
And what about Williams Beat The Clock?

Totally different story if the game was designed to be played that way. If you notice, games such as "Star Jet" have predominately 1's, and 10's scoring on the playfield. I'm not saying that having multiple balls on the playfield is necessarily harmful, and if you want to do this on your own game, go ahead (even though it's really pointless), but to me having someone jam five balls into the shooter lane and try to smash them all into play at the same time is abusing the machine. It's not something you like to see a stranger do to your game when you've spent a lot of time and energy restoring it and bringing it to a show.

#47 6 years ago

OK, got it. It's just silly to do it on a game that isn't designed for multi-ball play. It usually results in a quicker game and a lower score.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

1 player replay games with backglass ball count that lights up goes back as far as at least 1957.

Just picked up one of these from Shay. It's missing the replay unit. Going to PBR tomorrow to see what Steve has.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Good job! You are going to find it is a great player and has that one more game appeal again and again. I may have an extra replay unit for it but I'll have to check when I get home.

I appreciate that, but if Steve Young doesn't have something, Shay is going to get me one. He actually included a parts "Crossword" head, and said I could use whatever I need from it, but the replay unit from that game, or at least the mounting bracket is different. Can you shed any light on this? I'm thinking they used different brackets because they are removable from the replay unit. Also, if you could, please post a photo of your bumper caps. I think I have the correct ones. The photo on IPDB (Larry W) shows blue caps. They look cool, but I think they are wrong. No notation on IPDB. I'll have to send them a note if the picture shows the wrong caps. Thanks.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

JR, if you have them, I could use copies of the score card(s) for that thing.^^^^

Sure thing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/manually-load-and-play-multiple-balls-ok-or-frowned-upon?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.