(Topic ID: 193179)

Manually load and play multiple balls - OK or frowned upon?

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Loading and shooting multiple balls on old push-to-load EM's...”

• is OK today and always was - shoot all 5 onto the playfield if you like. 33 votes
    47%
  • is not how the machines were meant to be played - please only one ball at a time on the playfield! 37 votes
    53%

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3115404d06d3254841434d942fcd8ba31dc26dba (resized).jpg
image-3 (resized).jpg
211f1 (resized).jpg
dogcigar (resized).jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Occasionally while working/testing I'll have a few balls left to play. Instead of shooting to let drain...MULTIBALL!

#52 6 years ago

I love manually loading the ball versus automatic. Wished they left it that way. Dodge City is the only manual load game I own that has just one ball, not 5. Multi player machine.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I love manually loading the ball versus automatic. Wished they left it that way. Dodge City is the only manual load game I own that has just one ball, not 5. Multi player machine.

My 1966 Mayfair was like that , manual lift with a ball count unit, much better than 5 balls in the balls played accumulation chamber in the apron. 1 player Replay games went to the paper that lights up starting with??? King of Diamonds , 1967??

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

1 player Replay games went to the paper that lights up starting with???

1 player replay games with backglass ball count that lights up goes back as far as at least 1957.

image-3 (resized).jpgimage-3 (resized).jpg

#55 6 years ago

Ok, was there ever a multi player EM that had the manual lift and the 5 ball drop?

#56 6 years ago

None that I am aware of. With a multiplayer, it would need at least 10 balls if that was the case. Which is why they use one ball and a ball count unit to rotate players.

#57 6 years ago

Yeah, I kinda knew the answer which explains why Dodge City doesn't use it. However, it would be cool to convert a game like Sing Along to manual load using the technique used on Dodge City. Wonder how tough that would be.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

1 player replay games with backglass ball count that lights up goes back as far as at least 1957.

Odin,

I was referring to the paper in the instruction card holder not the backglass. Crosstown has the 5 balls displayed in the apron. KOD has numbers that light up on the left. Im guessing this changed with the manual ball lift giving way to the auto ball launch. Subway was the last game with a ball lift 10/66 then KOD 1/67 first game with outhole kicker and balls played card. Not sure when the card gave way to the backbox numbers in the 70's . It looks like Grand Slam 7/72 had numbers in backbox for ball in play.

DQ74

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just picked up one of these from Shay. It's missing the replay unit. Going to PBR tomorrow to see what Steve has.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Just picked up one of these from Shay.

Good job! You are going to find it is a great player and has that one more game appeal again and again. I may have an extra replay unit for it but I'll have to check when I get home.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Good job! You are going to find it is a great player and has that one more game appeal again and again. I may have an extra replay unit for it but I'll have to check when I get home.

I appreciate that, but if Steve Young doesn't have something, Shay is going to get me one. He actually included a parts "Crossword" head, and said I could use whatever I need from it, but the replay unit from that game, or at least the mounting bracket is different. Can you shed any light on this? I'm thinking they used different brackets because they are removable from the replay unit. Also, if you could, please post a photo of your bumper caps. I think I have the correct ones. The photo on IPDB (Larry W) shows blue caps. They look cool, but I think they are wrong. No notation on IPDB. I'll have to send them a note if the picture shows the wrong caps. Thanks.

#62 6 years ago

I don't know if the pop bumper caps are original or not as they are green with yellow skirts. And with so few of these out there and so few pics, it's tough to know what was original. The dead bumpers appear to be correct. The original arrow targets have seen much better days. It's a great players condition game, which I am happy to at least have one in that condition.

I am working on putting Kings back together and have an extra parts game that is pretty rough but may still have the replay unit. Same year may mean the same part and or brackets. I won't know until I look.

3115404d06d3254841434d942fcd8ba31dc26dba (resized).jpg3115404d06d3254841434d942fcd8ba31dc26dba (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago

JR, if you have them, I could use copies of the score card(s) for that thing.^^^^

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

JR, if you have them, I could use copies of the score card(s) for that thing.^^^^

Sure thing.

#65 6 years ago

Thanks and it looks like my extra credit unit is the same. It's yours if you need it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist
Plastics
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/manually-load-and-play-multiple-balls-ok-or-frowned-upon/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.